• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle for MK's Soul: the MK data and debate thread

Veril

Frame Savant
It had to be done. Class destroyed me today, so I'm just gonna reserve this thread with the awesome title.

So much has been said about MK's "frame safe", "frame perfect", frame sexiness. Most people are terribly uninformed, especially salty Rob and Marth mains. That said MK has stalling capabilities which are incompatible with a game that is playable competitively, let alone fun to watch.

"reserved for frame data redux"

"reserved for MK specific Planking data"

No argument based on variety or "fairness" belongs here. Frame data analysis or GTFO! I don't care how much MK is winning, who is winning with him, whether character x would be viable without him, etc. Don't mention temp-ban or soft-bans. This is about rules to limit him, and barring the ability to do so, whether he warrants removal based on his "on paper" capabilities. No sloppy theorycrafting... no mystery data... no anecdotal evidence. Discussion of his capability on any MLG legal stage is a valid point and stage bans are a way to limit MK which we should be willing to discuss.

As an equally important function, this thread can and should explore weaknesses in MK's game and how specific characters can exploit these (ex his air release vulnerability).

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
Cool, once you put up the new frame data I'll join in. Btw, shouldn't we compare an attack's frame data with the size of it's hitbox and what kind of priority that hit box has? I think that'd be the best way to properly analyse an attack

Veril

Frame Savant
Priority for MK's moves as well as hitbox size are things I take into account and will be discussing. Always keep in mind that the bone a hitbox is grafted to is just as significant as the size of the hitbox itself, because this determines coverage of the attack in relation to a character's hurtbox and the nebulous quality of "disjointedness", which is another term that needs discussing (disjointed hitbox should refer to an attack with a hitbox separate and distinct from the characters hurtbox, ie swords but not the DDD bair even though that move has a nonsensical hitbox its still not completely disjointed).

MK has transcendent priority on a large portion of his moveset, this is obviously a very important factor as it is a powerful and uncommon quality. Transcendent priority makes the qualities of range and startup vs. disjointedness and startup the only thing which matters for hitbox interaction. With the fastest overall moveset in the game, this is obviously very good for MK. He also has inv. priority on shuttle loop startup, high priority smashes/dash attack, and very high priority glide attack/specials.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
OK, I was just wondering in general, I know that most of his moves are transcended priority.

Top Bottom