• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Arena Melbourne 7 - May 22-24 2015 - Rego Closes May 17th, no exceptions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ The Love Muss

I just want to love you
NNID
RussellTLM
Yea it kind of sucks that so many hype Australian matches that don't happen very often happened off stream while a bunch of Australians just got wrecked by internationals on stream.

I understand that the internationals bring the viewers but now the Australian players hardly got any exposure. Everyone is going to see the internationals in the top 8 anyway so not having any of those games on stream is incredibly disappointing

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
No you aren't
We gave most of TAS seeds, only one making it out is hilarious. seeding won't be in your favour as much next time

CONGRATS TO VILLYNESS TAKING THE BRACKET RESET AND WINNING AFTER PLAYING 10 GAMES IN A ROW.

http://melbournemelee.challonge.com/BAM7WiiUpools
if you're going to be a TO and commentator you should probably consider being less of a ****

also if you're gonna post the bracket you might wanna make sure it's correct before you do so

Last edited:

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
Super special early shoutouts to @ Snoc Snoc , I've never seen him TO before, but he was incredibly helpful yesterday. S4 would've run way behind without his help.
Cheers man, super good work all round from melbmelee team and everyone else

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
as a TO (and also commentator) you should probably consider being less of a ****

also if you're gonna post the bracket you might wanna make sure it's correct before you do so
How about you stop talking absolute smack from interstate and have some respect? Cause you've given none whatsoever in the lead up to this. Pot calling kettle black, I have no obligation to be civil to you. I've TO'd all weekend and have had close to 6 hours sleep all up. I don't care what you think. I just wanted to run a successful event. And I've been respectful to people who deserve it, go ahead and ask any interstater that flew here and especially to waveguider.

And the link is correct, I don't know what you are smoking idiot.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
How about you stop talking absolute smack from interstate and have some respect? Cause you've given none whatsoever in the lead up to this. Pot calling kettle black, I have no obligation to be civil to you. I've TO'd all weekend and have had close to 6 hours sleep all up. I don't care what you think. I just wanted to run a successful event.

And the link is correct, I don't know what you are smoking idiot.
i'm not sure how i've disrespected you in the lead up to this but with your attitude the way it is i hardly have reason to be apologetic. i can't tell if the problem is that TOing is going to your head or that it's stressing you out but either way it's not a good look and you might want to take a break because you clearly can't handle it. i wasn't saying the link was wrong either, just that the results weren't 100% (wave v earl at the very least)

dreadtech

Smash Journeyman
i'm not sure how i've disrespected you in the lead up to this but with your attitude the way it is i hardly have reason to be apologetic. i can't tell if the problem is that TOing is going to your head or that it's stressing you out but either way it's not a good look and you might want to take a break because you clearly can't handle it. i wasn't saying the link was wrong either, just that the results weren't 100% (wave v earl at the very least)
Don't expect for you to apologize cause you obviously would never mean it. One MATCH was momentarily reported wrong (and was fixed before the actual match happened) and that's all you have to throw at me? really? I love every interstater that walked through the door here and I showed appreciation to all of them, you can stay free. Yeh, it stressed me out but I'm not gonna take your crap cause you clearly like armchair commenting, stress or no stress you need to stop being a dweeb. Feel free to have the last comment.

Last edited:

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
Don't mean to ignite anything, but I think you've both been doing well and I think this is probably the result of a long tournament which would take a toll on anyone. I wanted to say the Competitive Impressions thread got really into it while it was up and watched all the matches. So, Australian exposure was better than ever before. :D

Massive shout-out to @Villyness (V) who deserves every bit of the glory from this. That goes for the other players in top 8 too!

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Even in a country notorious for its love of the underdog, the crowd were against Leffen. Poor guy.

Congrats to Mango, and well done to all the players. Great tourney :)

Basty

Smash Ace
No you aren't
We gave most of TAS seeds, only one making it out is hilarious. seeding won't be in your favour as much next time

CONGRATS TO VILLYNESS TAKING THE BRACKET RESET AND WINNING AFTER PLAYING 10 GAMES IN A ROW.

http://melbournemelee.challonge.com/BAM7WiiUpools
Guess I'm going to have to go to BAM next year and finish first seed in my pool then ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Edit: And I may as well 5-0 you in a Bo9 MM

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Mate, you came into the twitch chat **** talking dreadtech after he ran a sweet pimping event, I have no regrets banning your ass.

Maybe include what you said to deserve it next time.

Last edited:

ViVa

Smash Ace
Thanks so much to everyone who did T.O work this weekend you guys are the real winners.

Congrats to V for winning singles. I wish I could have seen it but I was being dumb idk.

Was nice seeing everyone from NSW again you guys are cool.

GGs to everyone I played.

Sorry for losing doubles for us leish.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
yes because a sarcastic comment about someone is somehow worse than telling someone to go **** themselves, if you're going to be a mod you can at least attempt to be professional and rational. overall a few select people have tarnished the image of what would have otherwise been an incredible tournament from a viewer's perspective and i'm not entirely sure what i've done to deserve the hostility from some of those people

swordsaint

Smash Master
> twitch chat mod
> professionalism
> antagonistic/is the common denominator in every argument

It's the second coming of me. Sorry I reincarnated guys.

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Hey pazx, have you considered not being a spazx for like any amount of time. Geez....

Edit: haven't you only TO'd literally one smash 4 bracket of like 20 people. I'm pretty sure a wet piece of lettuce could TO that brackey

Drunk post npbp

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Mate, I made the tournament threads on Reddit (and boy was that table a *****), monitored the twitch chat for the past 2 days, created the xanbot commands for the channel and tried to help anyone I could in chat answering questions and helped smashcapps with any questions about the tourney. I was the helpful person these last few days, its just hard to deal with someone coming in criticising the event and being a general asshole to the people who have used there time and money making people like you happy with the event.

Maybe you should look into how you word your criticism next time so that it doesn't seem to be so negative if you think you haven't done anything wrong.

Seperate note, but who else hates pal.

Last edited:

Snoc

New Kid on the Block
mad props to the entire melbmelee team, redact and attila + anyone that I missed for the siq tourney.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
@ SummonerAU SummonerAU I've only TO'd at a handful of events yes, not sure why you brought that up though

@ Lex__ Lex__ you've done a lot of good things for this tournament and I'm not the only one who can appreciate that but you must admit you overreacted to what I said in the chat.

I'm aware dread's put in a lot of work over the weekend as well but my initial criticism was towards his unprofessional attitude earlier which is not something befitting a TO of such a large event. In the future I'll endeavour not to respond to him being disrespectful in the same manner. I'm still not sure how or why he thought I was being disrespectful prior to me calling him out, though, and if he has any issues with me I invite him to pm me once he's calmed down.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
@ SummonerAU SummonerAU I've only TO'd at a handful of events yes, not sure why you brought that up though

@ Lex__ Lex__ you've done a lot of good things for this tournament and I'm not the only one who can appreciate that but you must admit you overreacted to what I said in the chat.

I'm aware dread's put in a lot of work over the weekend as well but my initial criticism was towards his unprofessional attitude earlier which is not something befitting a TO of such a large event. In the future I'll endeavour not to respond to him being disrespectful in the same manner. I'm still not sure how or why he thought I was being disrespectful prior to me calling him out, though, and if he has any issues with me I invite him to pm me once he's calmed down.
I Have no regrets on how I reacted, my only regret was not saving a screenshot of what you posted, Dread is the most professional person I have ever seen, he does everything for the community, He got the bloody award for being the best community guy in Australia what else is there to say.

If anyone is looking for the DK rap hers is the vod on twitch.

http://www.twitch.tv/melbournemelee/b/662156996?t=4h35m25s

Ill try link the singing of dreamland tomorrow.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
After he hurried off I said "Dreadtech has to get back to his laptop to trash talk on Smashboards Kappa"

Absolutely scandalous

Izzago

Was a great tournament, had a great time. Thanks to everyone for coming.

First off, didn't work much. There's a reason for that, but not going into it. Probably going to distance myself from the scene for a while, gotta think things through a while and really consider why I'm in this to begin with.

Shoutouts:

To Tasmania. You guys are fun. Loved hanging out with all of you, even if I could join in the fun on the Friday night. Hope to see each of you again sometime. In fact, just give me a job in TAS and I'll come live close by to you all and we'll play all the time. Your legit my favourite people. Loved when I ran out of Johnny Walker so you guys went and picked up another bottle. Legends.

To Chillin, for being a buster. Had a sick time hanging out, and it was so cool to feature on your stream, even if it was mostly me laughing and playing Pichu and Bowser. Definitely worth every cent. Wont be the last time you spend a whole week destroying your liver and brain down under.

To Wife for the chats. Inspired me to do commentary at some point, even if it takes me a long time to be confident enough to do it. Something I can work on during my hiatus. I also appreciate how cool you were with just sitting and chatting, and teaming with a scrubby Marth for an hour. Was so good sharing a couple of beers with you Thursday as well.

To all the other internationals for coming out and leaving everyone with a good opinion. Definitely feels like money well spent. Was great to get to meet all of you, and in Lucky's case have another chat. Hope I bought enough drinks for you guys, otherwise I'll buy a few more next time you visit.

To Atticus for being supportive when I was stressed out, depressed and angry. Calmed me down, and gave me some wise words to think about. Can't thank you enough. Of everyone I've met since joining the scene, your the best friend I've made. So this isn't just a shout out for the week of BAM, but a shoutout for the entire time I've been playing Smash. I really appreciate it.

To Hobs for being a proper homie. I love your attitude of "why not?" I'd do well to take a page out of that book, and its good that you put such emphasis on being a good friend to everyone. Seriously man, I hope I get out of this rut sooner so we can go to the pub and have a chat again.

To Zach (pretty sure that was your name) and Benny, the Little Busters. So glad I got to spend so long hanging out with you guys. Was good to spend a day getting to know new people like that. Thanks for being a very welcome distraction from all the stuff that was plaguing me at the time, even if we did spend what could easily have been hours in McDonalds lol.

To Meredyse and Swords, thanks for the support and encouragement. I honestly would have considered going home after I had eaten if you guys weren't there. Thanks for making me stay, ended up having a blast, so I owe you both for that. How about some teaming in Melee sometime?

To my cousin Tom for being supportive throughout the tournament. Lucky to have a good friend taking care of me. He also helped to bring Chillin down for the event. Bought me a few drinks and helped me understand some of what was going on during Street Fighter, which is a game I love watching.

To 1AMP, sorry that I couldn't help you on that first day. Did my best to get to the bottom of it, and had to give my fellow TO the benefit of the doubt.

To the Smash 4 players, sorry to any who got upset at Chillin and I trash talking. We didn't want to offend, we actually only talked so much smack because we were convinced we would lose.

To Nikes, dude, remember the set we had. You had a huge smile on your face and you looked like you were having an incredible time and loving Smash more than anything else. Even if you take an extended break, don't give up on yourself. You are an incredible player and as a person you have my respect. I'll be keeping up with your Smash career, your gonna go far once you get your self confidence up. Don't take losses as you letting yourself down, take them as chances to learn. I believe it was Dekar who told me that.

Thanks everyone, sorry I'm so ****.

Zero

Smash Hero
Shoutouts to Villyness for being absolutely incredible! And to IGN15 for takimg $20 of Luke's money by beating up drunks, gg.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
To the Smash 4 players, sorry to any who got upset at Chillin and I trash talking. We didn't want to offend, we actually only talked so much smack because we were convinced we would lose.
I think we played in doubles and it was kinda fun.

Pacland is the best stage in the game.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Stream was siiiicccck. Sad I didn't get to see the hype. Good tournament all, ty for running.

EDIT: How good is Wife? Ahahahahaha.

Last edited:

Leeyam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
leeyamnz
Didn't attend, just want to say something in regard to Spud that I think is really important.

I know it's easy since he came out of nowhere to do really well, to get pretty demotivated about putting effort into this game. You look at someone surge past you and think "damn, he's just started and he's so talented to get this far, what's the point in me trying to get good when there are people like him around."

However, even though Spud does have a CRAZY amount of talent, in my opinion what got him this good this quickly was his drive and his discipline to play the game. Like apart from school days, he would pretty much just wake up at the morning and say something like "ok I'm going to practise chaingrabs on spacies for the next like 4-5 hours, this other thing for 5 more hours and finally this for a few hours and then I'm going to sleep." And he would do it. I've NEVER seen someone so determined to want to get good at this game that they would spend literally all of their day practising against CPUs, and have the drive to do that continuously for more than a year.

For me, this goes to show how how much drive and determination matters. If you REALLY want it and are willing to put in tons of effort to get better, you WILL end up improving immensely. Yes I know most of us can't feasibly put in 14 hours of smash a day, but putting in a few hours even just practising combos against CPUs WILL actually make a difference if you focus and keep at it. It's very easy to get bored and start just randomly comboing CPUs around when you need to say "No, I'm going to keep practising chaingrabs/shield dropping for the next x amount of minutes/hours until I can get it right" and do that. This may seem obvious but I feel as if it is something worth reiterating after this event.

Anyway, we're all really proud of Mojo Monkey and Spud, both definitely provided the hype for this tournament and both exceeded by far what our (and everyone else's!) expectations were. NZ as a whole has got a lot better from having these guys around, and we're keen to show Australia what we've got next year when we will have way more people coming up . For now, we've all got a huge boost of motivation from this event to evolve from being just training dummies so we can help Spud reach his potential. Awesome tournament.

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman

You've only been putting up with other trolls **** for a few hours, and only from a few people in this thread and on Twitch chat, and look how you're reacting, like a whiny baby who had their lolly taken away from them.

Dread has been putting up with **** of a similar degree from more people over an entire 4-day weekend. Maintaining the level of professionalism that he has for this period of time, much less a volunteer who does it for the love of the scene, is excellent.

You're upset about a TO's response to seeding for a tournament you didn't even attend. If you don't like how things are run, step up and do a better job. Though somehow I suspect that won't happen.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Didn't attend, just want to say something in regard to Spud that I think is really important.

I know it's easy since he came out of nowhere to do really well, to get pretty demotivated about putting effort into this game. You look at someone surge past you and think "damn, he's just started and he's so talented to get this far, what's the point in me trying to get good when there are people like him around."

However, even though Spud does have a CRAZY amount of talent, in my opinion what got him this good this quickly was his drive and his discipline to play the game. Like apart from school days, he would pretty much just wake up at the morning and say something like "ok I'm going to practise chaingrabs on spacies for the next like 4-5 hours, this other thing for 5 more hours and finally this for a few hours and then I'm going to sleep." And he would do it. I've NEVER seen someone so determined to want to get good at this game that they would spend literally all of their day practising against CPUs, and have the drive to do that continuously for more than a year.

For me, this goes to show how how much drive and determination matters. If you REALLY want it and are willing to put in tons of effort to get better, you WILL end up improving immensely. Yes I know most of us can't feasibly put in 14 hours of smash a day, but putting in a few hours even just practising combos against CPUs WILL actually make a difference if you focus and keep at it. It's very easy to get bored and start just randomly comboing CPUs around when you need to say "No, I'm going to keep practising chaingrabs/shield dropping for the next x amount of minutes/hours until I can get it right" and do that. This may seem obvious but I feel as if it is something worth reiterating after this event.

Anyway, we're all really proud of Mojo Monkey and Spud, both definitely provided the hype for this tournament and both exceeded by far what our (and everyone else's!) expectations were. NZ as a whole has got a lot better from having these guys around, and we're keen to show Australia what we've got next year when we will have way more people coming up . For now, we've all got a huge boost of motivation from this event to evolve from being just training dummies so we can help Spud reach his potential. Awesome tournament.
So, when is the next NZ tournament? ;)

MapleDialga

Smash Rookie
NNID
DialgRe
3DS FC
4811-7170-7397

Yeah well that's cool and all, but can we talk about Spud doing the Ken Combo?
NTSC Style?
In PAL?
Multiple times?

Last edited:

Hobs_

Smash Journeyman
Back at work now, probably should have taken today off so I could party last night.

Happy with my Melee performance, not so much with PM. Didn't get to put as much time into helping out with the tournament due to other commitments (and I made a couple mistakes), hope it was enough. Will step up soon.

Quick shoutouts that hopefully cover everything from Thursday through Sunday.

@NeoTurtle @ dreadtech dreadtech Hardpelicn Attila_@joeyjoeyjoejoe and all the other TOs/stream managers. You guys do the hard yards in keeping things running smoothly, I don't know how you keep up the energy to manage so many people over such a long period. Insane.

@ Izzago Izzago good times man, anytime you wanna hang out, I'm keen.

@CubT @FinXx @ Russ The Love Muss Russ The Love Muss @Star ☆ I lost all my money matches thanks to you guys. Thanks for teaching me I hate money matches. I will still play for bananas in DK dittos though.

@ SaucyAUS SaucyAUS thanks for PM doubles, you did well for your first time in it. Stick with it, it's really fun.

@Dekar289 for actually up to watch, despite not competing. Good to see you.

@Sady for Melee doubles and hanging out again. Pity you couldn't make it Sunday. Every time we team I think we work better together. We'll get there. Also sorry I had to vs you in our Melee bracket :(

@Juci thanks for the ride to Friday night dinner from Project Melbourne. I owe you one. Check out Bartronica sometime., you'll get a kick out of it.

Local commentators including @Skeletom @Bu$ SD @smopup and anyone else I didn't catch on the setup. Amazing job. I've watched a bit of the VODs and you guys did amazing work.

Thanks to all my opponents, everyone was really friendly and gracious in victory or defeat. If you wanna play again, let me know.

@Moxie2D cool posters and shirts man, definitely gonna put mine up at home. Looking forward to seeing more work from you.

Spud - for being a breath of fresh air into Melee. I feel like you've made things very interesting as a driving force in the competitive aspect of the game. In just a few hours you've inspired people and shown them what people can be capable of if they put their mind to it. Looking forward to see you in future tournaments.

All the internationals for coming over and the people who looked after them. Unfortunately I didn't get to talk to some of them a whole lot, but everyone was super approachable and friendly. Shoutouts especially to Wife, Hugs, S2J and Lucky for being awesome people. Hope you all had a good time.

And lastly but not leastly, @ Redact Redact for not only helping bring the internationals over, housing some of them and sorting out all the merchandise, but for hyping up the tournament to non-Australian Smash fans and tirelessly working to keep things running. You're definitely not the only person driving the Australian community, but in my year of playing you've been carrying the torch and really helping the scene a bunch. It wouldn't be where it is today without you.

Anyone else that I forgot. Sorry.

Last edited:

SaucyAUS

Smash Rookie
Yoo, thanks @ Hobs_ Hobs_ I managed to win 3 sets in melee doubles which was exciting for me and your tips really helped.

Thanks everyone for making my first tournament a good one and the TO's for being on point the entire time.

Last edited:

MapleDialga

Smash Rookie
NNID
DialgRe
3DS FC
4811-7170-7397
God that was so ****ing sick.
I remember being on Twitch at the time, and there was so many people rooting for Spud with, "Spud's our bud!", while others were shouting out about meteor cancelling (as PAL Marth dair is a meteor), and crapping on Alex19. It's safe to say he had my support, as I had never seen someone with so much guts as to do something like that. And the Dreamland chant was just full of hype.

As for Spud vs Chillin, he did his best, Chillin was just the better player. But now he's the best of Oceania.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Shout outs to Luke, Attila, V and Waveguider; you showed our Smash 4 scene is strong and respectable. I and many others were very impressed with Earl's little Mac as well.
I think one of the overarching issues with our majors is highlighting the Australian scene, it's something that (among the more primary factor of my health) held me back for attending and being hype for this. However, there is no doubt we got amazing exposure and we can hopefully ride the wave of recognition to further ourselves in the scene globally; we're entertaining and foreigners love our culture and mannerisms, no one should give two ****s about perceiving this quality negatively. I wish that Smash4 had "screen time" on the largest stream, but it's not something I entirely disagree with considering the focus.

I think it's perhaps better to think of these as investments to our scene's future, we're getting new up and comers in every game and gaps with internationals do get smaller. As someone who's traveled and has been personally exposed to the wide range of destruction "top level" can subject us to, what was initially a negative response (back in 09; "how are we meant to get better with not enough people wanting to do the same") turned into [ZeRo was inspirational] "you can always get better and it's about the work you're willing to put in". I would say this juxtaposes with how things have gone here, Mew2King coming once and planting a self-defeating / unenthused attitude and then as a whole we've mentally broke through and now get the most out of what we have available.

From outside, it was very entertaining and great experience to keep up tabs with and watch, all the TOs, organisers, commentators and helpers can not be applauded enough; despite the shortness of my focus here it is just as important as (if not more) everything else. Cheering with all the other home-bound NSWers and spamming messages to The Disciples was fantastic fun. I hope in the future we can take on all the positives of these events and push our own scene's interests further at the same time.
Can we get thousands of stream viewers for our own things? Let's make sure "No" isn't an option.

I'm not sure how many Tasmanians came but it isn't "wrong" to seed any Australian regions "best players". All of them? Probably not (that wasn't really ever the case beyond ensuring no regional double ups) but all regions should be respected and rewarded for branching out/traveling. Tasmania has practically been sceneless the entirety of the time I've been in the Smash community, of course things will start slow and "wake up calls" should only spearhead growth further for them to catch up. Going by proximity, Tasmanians should try go to melbourne tournaments more frequently in groups.

Anyway, yada yada, hope to see as many of you as possible (and more) in Sydney in July (the weekend before Evo I believe) *cough cough*.

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Sorry everyone on behalf of ACT, spazx is an AGrade ****wit and really young, just ignore him and your life will be better.
Pierce, stop embarssing us, also you have so little TO (or any) experience that you shouldn't be giving 'advice' or talking like you know everything. If you don't want to be treated like ****, then don't act like ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom