• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Battle Arena All-Stars (complete version released!)

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hello guys :),

I want to present a little fan game which I'm working using the Smash Bros gameplay as a reference (Super Smash Bros saga, Digimon Rumble Arena, etc.).
The project is being developed in Unity engine and 3DS Max for the characters, animations, stages, etc. I can say that the provisional name (or final, I don't know) is "Battle Arena All-Stars".
BAAS_Poster.jpg

I have to say that is not a project to win money, only to do in the free times because we love the Smash Bros style :laugh: (like Super Smash Flash, for example).

I have thing about the movement and the actions for the character (taking into account that my references are Smash Bros (more simple) and Digimon Rumble Arena (with a little bit more complexity)) and, with these points, I decide to follow the next plan:

1. Movements
Inspired in Smash Bros, the movements of the game will be confortable for the player!​
2. Attacks
Use Smash Bros 64 as a reference for the attack actions, but with a little more of simplicity (going to Digimon Rumble Arena).​
3. Final Attacks
Sorry for the people who wants final smashes and something like this but, for now, the characters will not have any final attack.​

I think that with these points the game can be fun and interesting. The initial idea is not include objects and grabs between the characters (I'm not an expert, step by step). If this game is published and is funny for the people I will add more things.

The team:

- Developer: Draco74
- Voice Actor: Russell_SSB
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Download
(Updated 26/09/2020)

Thank you and regards

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Rayman costumes:

I have selected these costumes because they are very different from one to another, and are representative for the character (Rayman, Vortex Rayman, Raybox, Dark Rayman). And I have decided for 4 costumes because is a good number, more can be excessive.

EDIT 29/05/2015:

I want to present the second character of the game (included in the 4 decided chars for the demo, in the future): Bomberman!

Bomberman only has developed the basic movement in this moment. Work in progress!

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Thanks! I'm alone in the project and the development is a little slow, but I have some things to show :b:. For example, I have the gameplay of the move actions done for Rayman and almost done for Bomberman. And, also almost done for the third character, who I will present soon!

I want to start the collision process, because is the most important. Step by step.

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hello! I want to show some new pictures of the game (maybe with some new character):

And a special image not in-game scenificating one of the battles:

Finally, of course, the new character is here: SPYRO (artwork and colors soon).

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
This looks realy cool. Is there any chance I could help out on this? I wouldlike to see if I could audition for the announcer if you don't have anyone for it yet.

Plus, if you take request for fighters, I think I may have a few character you COULD use that I may suggest to you that you will find interesting:
- Alis (Phantasy Star)
- Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo & Kazooie)
- Bubblum (Bubble Bobble)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
- Glover (Glover)
- Steve (Minecraft)
- Lolo (The Adventures of Lolo)
- NES Mario (Super Mario Bros.) "Similar to Mr. Game & Watch/The only 2D fighter in there so far"

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
This looks realy cool. Is there any chance I could help out on this? I wouldlike to see if I could audition for the announcer if you don't have anyone for it yet.

Plus, if you take request for fighters, I think I may have a few character you COULD use that I may suggest to you that you will find interesting:
- Alis (Phantasy Star)
- Banjo & Kazooie (Banjo & Kazooie)
- Bubblum (Bubble Bobble)
- Scorpion (Mortal Kombat)
- Glover (Glover)
- Steve (Minecraft)
- Lolo (The Adventures of Lolo)
- NES Mario (Super Mario Bros.) "Similar to Mr. Game & Watch/The only 2D fighter in there so far"
Hello! Thanks for your comments and proposals. The truth is that, in a project like this one, any help is welcome specially if you're alone working on it. The development status is that I'm working on the collision system (for the impacts and rebounds) because is a complex topic and I'm looking for a great result. I mean that now I'm coding and I have not worked with the music or other details yet. You talk about the announcer voices and, of course, can be a good help if you want to participate.

Related to the characters for the game, I have thought a big roster with a fantastic players, but do a character requires a lot of work and time (specially now, because I'm finishing the character structure) and, for now, I only work with Rayman, Bomberman and Spyro. The process for the animations is really slow.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Thanks. I PMed you back and am VERY honored to do this, though I asked if I could do it. :)

It's all cool. If you need to finish up the three main fighters, be my guest. The reason why I placed a list of new characters I thought would be cool is because why not add more iconic characters from other games. But for Scorpion, I was thinking about that b/c of what he could do in the T or E10+ rated game. I just don't wanna make it TOO bloody for you. LOL

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
What? No Crash? -50/10

But seriously, this looks very promising and I really like the character models. I don't know anything about how I can help as everything is 3D rendered and nothing sprite related, but if you're looking for testers soon, I'll be up for it.

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
What? No Crash? -50/10

But seriously, this looks very promising and I really like the character models. I don't know anything about how I can help as everything is 3D rendered and nothing sprite related, but if you're looking for testers soon, I'll be up for it.
Hello! Thanks for the comments and your interest to be a tester. In a future (near future I wish) I will publish the first pre-alpha version and will be good to have more people interested in test the game. I will take this into account! :)

About Crash and some other characters I just can say that keep calm! I'm working on the first characters in this game to see if it can be funny and if it will work. The truth is that I have a very big roster thought with a lot of fabulous characters. Patience!

PD: I present the different skins for Spyro and his artwork:

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
Hey, guys! How ya doin'?

Like he said, we are looking for 3D animators for our fighters in this game. If interested, please reply here or PM me or Draco74 to join our team.

Thanks. :)

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Yes, we are looking for 3D animators to help us with the animations of the characters. Is not necessary to be an expert or a professional, only to know how to animate using our used 3D tool and to want to collaborate with this development.

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
You know, how come we don't have anyone else coming here nor updates? Though you are working on the game still.

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I want to say that we are working on the game, and in a few days we will publish a technical demo to see the gameplay and the game concept. It will not be a battle, just a bonus stage. You will be able to play with it and test it soon :)

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hi!

After a weeks of working and testing multiple things, we can say that the first technical demo of the game is ready! You will find it in the first message of the post :).

Enjoy it!

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
The demo has been updated to fix 2 detected bugs:

- The texture fails when you uses the special forward attack (:GCR: + :GCB:). FIXED
- The resolution of the demo is not compatible with two monitors connected in parallel. FIXED, but not tested

But, in the other side, other detected bug is still active because is not important for now, but is there.

- When you uses the protection, the barrier is affected by the camera effects and also its position is wrong around the character.
Finally, I have changed the host of the file to Mega to be more comfortable.

Please, comments about the demo will be welcome! :)

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys!

After this time with the demo published, any comment about the gameplay and the details displayed in it? I'm working with the versus mode (without AI for now) and I want to read comments about the gameplay to improve the game experience and publish more demos in the future.

Would be really good to have your feedback :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Russell_SSB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MrRussellgro
3DS FC
0662-7159-3567
Switch FC
SW-3345-3263-9133
The gameplay was amazing. Can't wait for actual battles. :)

Anything else you want me to do?

Plus, I am draw an original symbol like how SSB did. Any ideas I could draw for a symbol that the original characters could use, though it is only one symbol? Thanks.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Really seeing some promises with this. The animation is smooth for the most part, platforming are fully functional, attacks seem to work. Only bugs I've seen were obvious ones that I'm sure you are aware of like dying and then respawn and a couple seconds later you go back to the menu. Also the shield is a little bit off.

Can't wait for the final product!

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
The gameplay was amazing. Can't wait for actual battles. :)

Anything else you want me to do?

Plus, I am draw an original symbol like how SSB did. Any ideas I could draw for a symbol that the original characters could use, though it is only one symbol? Thanks.
Thanks!! I'm working on it, but these weeks I'm a little bit busy. I hope to have some news soon :)

For the symbols... the truth is that I have the character symbols done, but I need a generic symbol for the game. I don't have any ideas, maybe the Smash Bros. symbol edited, I don't know.

Really seeing some promises with this. The animation is smooth for the most part, platforming are fully functional, attacks seem to work. Only bugs I've seen were obvious ones that I'm sure you are aware of like dying and then respawn and a couple seconds later you go back to the menu. Also the shield is a little bit off.

Can't wait for the final product!
Thank you to test the demo! Yes, I'm aware of the bugs you comment. The respawn is done like this because for now is enough, but in the final version for sure will not be. The camera is also not finished, you can see this is you go to the max right side of the stage (you will appear on the left side instead of dead).
And for the shield, yes, is a detected bug. The shield doesn't have importance in this bonus stage, so is not important, but I have to fix it and create the shield workflow to be functional.

I glad you like the character gameplay!

creatår

Smash Cadet
Man, I love rayman!

The technical demo feels solid. The fighting mechanics, however, feels a bit sluggish. I noticed that rayman has to travel backwards in order to do a b-air, or else it will result in a n-air, which is annoying and puts unnecessary restrictions on the player.

Other than that, I like it :)

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Man, I love rayman!

The technical demo feels solid. The fighting mechanics, however, feels a bit sluggish. I noticed that rayman has to travel backwards in order to do a b-air, or else it will result in a n-air, which is annoying and puts unnecessary restrictions on the player.

Other than that, I like it :)
Thanks for the feedback! Will be very useful. Only one question, did you use a gamepad or the keyboard? It's only because now you can use the keyboard, but the gameplay experience is worst. With the gamepad (for example, Xbox360 one) is more fast and comfortable.

Last edited:

creatår

Smash Cadet
I used my keyboard. I don't have access to an Xbox controller unfortunately, but I might try it out with a gamecube controller once I got the time.

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
I thought that. I recommend to use the gamepad only, is so much better :laugh:

creatår

Smash Cadet
yeah, playing a fighting game with a keyboard is unbeliavbly sucky x) It's for shame that gamepads arn't as widespread on pcs as on consoles.

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hey, Draco74. How are the updates comming along?
Hey!
Well, in this moment I'm doing internal changes (when I can, because I'm in the last days to finish my postgrade) and I guess that, for the next update, the demo will be using the character selection screen and allowing the control configuration (gamepad or keyboard).
I'm working slowly, I know and I'm sorry.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
Is there a gameplay video Draco74?

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Is there a gameplay video Draco74?
No, not yet :c. Anyway, I'm not an expert doing videos, maybe someone wants to help in this task. But, will be better to use the next version at least. It's almost done :)

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I want to present you the new version of the technical demo! It comes with multiple addings and upgrades, so let's go to comment them:

- COOP mode added! You can play with a friend to obtain a very good time in the bonus stages!
- The control can be changed. Just press on the icon AFTER select your character, and you will be able to play using the available controls you have.
- The character selection menu has been added to manage the configuration of your character and bonus stages. You have to use the selector of your player to select the character (or press G on keyboard to select your selector automatically).
- All the control buttons has been added to the demo as a Control Map. You can find it inside the .zip file.
- The demo now generates a savedata file. so you can save your time records and try to be better in another moment!

Link in the first post.

Enjoy it and comment your opinions! :)

Last edited:

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hi guys,

A new version of the demo has been published with the following news:

- Some bugs fixed related to Rayman.
- Stage 2 of the bonus added!
- Now you can close the demo pressing on "Back" button (the functionality of this button will be implemented in future versions but, for now, is perfect to close the execution of the demo).

Link in the first post.

Regards!

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hi!

The project is progressing and now we can show to you a little of the versus mode gameplay. Here you can see a little play with Rayman:

The next version will be ready soon.

Regards,

Draco74

Smash Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I can present now the new version of this game after weeks of work. This version has the following addings:

- Bomberman as playable character.
- Versus mode.
- Stage selection with 2 stages.
- 4 players allowed for the versus, and 2 for the bonus mode.
- Provisional main menu.

Link: https://mega.nz/#!OUxyHa6J!t25DPf-_ue0BtsScS8i4h49nmdLg5To4ezjZg0bJiJM

Also, a new gameplay video has been published with other character of this game:

Regards!

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I've decided to return from the dead and check the development part of smash boards again. I have to say, you're showing a lot of improvement from the last time I've even tested one of your builds. Will have to test this new version soon! Keep it up!

Top Bottom