• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

soap

Smash Hero
I was at the Cavs game tonite.

The lakers did slow it down lol. Way too much. All Kobe and dwight Iso's all night. Kobe at least looks super natural one on one.

Dwights post moves are so obvious and formulaic. He also sucks at passing out of double teams (and can't shoot free throws)

The team also does not play defense. Lazy rotations in the half court, and they do not hustle back in transition.

Y'all sleeping on the Cavs tho. Kyrie has been out a month. We just got Kyrie back tonite and he dropped like 28 points, 11 assists. We had like 5 players in double figures.

Young team that hustles and runs. Varejao is having a career year too.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
They may have played it slower tonight but Pringles himself has stated that he wants this Lakers team to score at least 110+ points a night.

Why the Lakers organization hired an offensive minded coach for a team with so many defensive woes is above my head.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's not even the owner Dr. Jerry Buss' fault. He's handed the keys to his son, Jim, and the dude has an ego comparable to Jerry Jones. He feels like he's some genius when it comes to influencing player and coaching personnel. Well we know how Bynum, Mike Brown, and now D'Antoni are working out. He had Phil Jackson, but for whatever reason decided to go away with him.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
cavs are 5-17
hopefully with kyrie back we can turn this slightly around.
along with waiters whenever he gets back.

danatoni has problems teaching defense yes but that effort from the lakers was lazy.
they collapsed on defensive sets (they barely had any) and finally they decided to trap kyrie and make someone else like vararjo beat them
needless to say...he did

lakers jim buss has more of a ego comparable to the owner in indy tbh.
like him wanting to start a new path with luck.
jim wants to do it without phil.

the difference between the two
ones winning
the other is struggling

mood4food77

Smash Hero
the knicks are missing shumpert and stat and still have the top seed in the east right now

i remember last year in game 1 of the playoffs, when shump was playing, right until he got hurt, d-wade was invisible (i think he only had 3 points until that point)

this is a rookie taking on a top 5 talent, he's more important to the team than stat is, stat even said he'll come off the bench to help the team

seriously, the knicks are loaded this year and destined for a long run

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
the knicks are missing shumpert and stat and still have the top seed in the east right now

i remember last year in game 1 of the playoffs, when shump was playing, right until he got hurt, d-wade was invisible (i think he only had 3 points until that point)

this is a rookie taking on a top 5 talent, he's more important to the team than stat is, stat even said he'll come off the bench to help the team

seriously, the knicks are loaded this year and destined for a long run
Being the top seed in a (currently) terrible, terrible EC is nothing worth bragging about this early on in the season. Literally ZERO teams other than the Knicks are playing good basketball in the Eastern Conference right now (other than the streaky Hawks). I'm not ready to crown the Knicks until the rest of the competition starts playing to their real potential.

If the playoffs started tomorrow the Knicks wouldn't even be in my top 5:
1) Spurs
2) Grizzlies
3) Thunder
4) Heat
5) Clippers

The Knicks still have a lot they need to prove. Early regular season records mean nothing (ask the Bulls/Celtics).

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
I think the knicks are for real this year.

heres why.
the culture of the organization has changed.
jason kidd and woodsen both are seasoned and leading the organization. carmelo is coming of age and in shape this year

i dont see the "we are the knicks" glitz and bright light "we are owed everything type attitude.

i see a team that is finally saying.
lets shut the **** up.
put our head down.
and get to work, take it game to game.

much like the heat last year.
how did they get a ring.
they humbled themselves.
kept out of media (especially lebron)
focused and won.

if im the coach.
amare is coming 3rd team off the bench.
i limit him to 5 min max somewhere in the third quarter. dont allow him to disrupt the flow too much and keep it moving.

the celtics are the only team in the east that are going to drastically change and make a big push towards the post season and thats because they are the celtics with a great head coach that is gonna keep them even tempered.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Celtics will make a push cause they're the Celtics. I think the Nets will make a big push once they really start gelling (they looked fantastic before Lopez got hurt). Philly could make a push depending on how Bynum plays when he gets back (don't forget this team took the Celtics to 7 last season). The Bulls might (emphasis on might) make a push when Rose gets back. And most of all, the Heat have yet to hit their stride so far this season.

It's too early in the season to tell IMO.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
bynum isnt coming back this year
arthrithis in his knee is getting worse
others are struggling for philly

and the only reason why they took the celtics to seven games is because they toyed with the 76rs in one of the worse playoff series in nba history

indiana is a flash in the pan

bulls arent as good as people would like to think
rose will make the comeback to the same problems
they dont have enough offensive weapons around rose to make any significant push and they struggle with teams that can put up 100 or more against them.

the nets will have their growing pains like the heat their first year but with much more inexperience and will fall faster.

no one worries about the heat because its a forgone conclusion that they will be in the ECF

i say its against the knicks
who will beat the celtics along the way to get there

Jane

Smash Hero
it may be too early to tell what will happen in the playoffs, i agree.

but the fact of the matter is, there are wins and there are losses in this game, nothing more nothing less. so for you (trg) to not even have the knicks in your top 5 is hilarious. theyve beaten spurs at home. theyve beaten your heat twice. not trying to start an argument, but sooner or later you'll come to terms with the huge threat that is nyk. personally i hope they meet miami in the ecf, i think it would be a great series. but all things considered, the knicks are simply playing better basketball. so make all the stipulations you want, but thats just what it is right now.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
but the fact of the matter is, there are wins and there are losses in this game, nothing more nothing less. so for you (trg) to not even have the knicks in your top 5 is hilarious. theyve beaten spurs at home. theyve beaten your heat twice. not trying to start an argument, but sooner or later you'll come to terms with the huge threat that is nyk. personally i hope they meet miami in the ecf, i think it would be a great series. but all things considered, the knicks are simply playing better basketball. so make all the stipulations you want, but thats just what it is right now.
The Bulls and Celtics were beating the Heat in the regular season in the last 2 years all of the time... Your point? The playoffs are an entirely different beast than the regular season, and the playoffs are where the Knicks are still unproven. Heat, Thunder, Spurs, and the Grizzlies have all shown that they're capable of performing well in the playoffs, and I personally think the Clippers are a flat out better team when they play to their potential. That's why the Knicks aren't in my top 5.

If we're already going to make assumptions that the Knicks will be in the ECF then we might as well start predicting what first round draft picks the Lakers will be getting. Measuring how good a team is 1/4 into the regular season is downright silly.

I've already said that they're playing great basketball. Lets see if they keep it up before we jump to premature conclusions.

Jane

Smash Hero
yeah and the celtics took them to game 7. the games they won in the regular season were not in vain, they proved something. the bulls lost drose, and no one can deny that the eastern conference playoffs would have looked different had that never happened.

and i would say your laker analogy isnt a fair comparison. but you're right, we're jumping to conclusions. only thing we can do for now is make our predictions and watch it all unfold. personally, i believe that the east is much stronger than i originally speculated. it's no west forsure, but the bulls, hawks, nets, and of course the knicks all have me extremely surprised by their performances thus far.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
I dont grade teams by talent/numbers alone.
I judge when the talent has come of age and they have the will, maturation and proper drive to win.

I didnt put the knicks as a championship team because of the nonsense and the way that organization, coach and setting was handling business.

that glitz and bright light "we are supposed to win" mentality belongs to the nets now which is why they will not get close to winning

those same hollywood tendencies are what kept the heat from winning the first time
they won why, because they came of age. in the indiana and the boston series last year just in time to save themselves and gain a championship.

the clippers are a second round team at best
blake grffins maturation has been inhibited by chris paul who spoon feeds him
he should be much more dominant then simple highlights
that and their coach will eventually hinder them too much.

numbers dont lie
they are just incomplete

the record is a by product of the knicks change in culture because we know its never been this smooth for them, even this early in the regular season.

they will be a huge threat to make it to the eastern conference finals and beyond if they can keep injures and amare aside.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Heat are just suffering from championship fatigue. Been to two straight finals, and now that they've won one, they've gotten a bit "fat" in the regular season like the three-peat Lakers. When the time comes, they will try to flip the switch. The problem is, it's hard to get rid of tendencies you build through the season, and just expect to forget them.

Jem.

Smash Master
You act like Dirk didnt skeet all over the Heat. Yeah Lebron choked but Dirk was playing the series of his life because that was going to be Dirk's only chance for a ring. You arent allowed excuses when you have 3 superstars and arguably 3 of the top 10 players in the whole NBA

How many games has Durant attempted more shots than Westbrook this season? I feel like I look at the box score of an OKC game all the time and Westbrook is always attempting more shots..

Jane

Smash Hero
got home JUST in time to watch the last play of the jazz spurs game. wow. mo williams >

also GS beats miami at home, AND the suns take down the grizz! great day of basketball.

127crazie

Smash Journeyman
got home JUST in time to watch the last play of the jazz spurs game. wow. mo williams >

also GS beats miami at home, AND the suns take down the grizz! great day of basketball.
You said it! It's always a treat to see San Antonio lose, and all games yesterday were very exciting. Just got home for winter break, and can't wait to watch some NBA this holiday season!

Kanbem

Smash Rookie
Anyone else extremely surprised by the Hawks this season? Out of all teams with records above .700 or at it, they are the only one to not really have a real superstar. Not to mention, they don't even have a staple starting five, and half of the 5 are constantly playing out of position.

And the Warriors too.

:phone:

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Being the top seed in a (currently) terrible, terrible EC is nothing worth bragging about this early on in the season. Literally ZERO teams other than the Knicks are playing good basketball in the Eastern Conference right now (other than the streaky Hawks). I'm not ready to crown the Knicks until the rest of the competition starts playing to their real potential.

If the playoffs started tomorrow the Knicks wouldn't even be in my top 5:
1) Spurs
2) Grizzlies
3) Thunder
4) Heat
5) Clippers

The Knicks still have a lot they need to prove. Early regular season records mean nothing (ask the Bulls/Celtics).
Lmao the hate all over your face is not a good look. Just stop it, lol what makes you so sure the Knicks are playing their best basketball right now opposed to other teams? Are you watching them every night?

Heat fans stay being the worst lol.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Lmao the hate all over your face is not a good look. Just stop it, lol what makes you so sure the Knicks are playing their best basketball right now opposed to other teams? Are you watching them every night?

Heat fans stay being the worst lol.
Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong point.

For the last time I never said the Knicks aren't a good team. All I have been saying is that it is too early in the season to be labeling them as championship material.

And Heat fans are the worst? Care to clarify? You sound angry.

Heart Break Kid

Smash Lord
Reading comprehension clearly isn't your strong point.

For the last time I never said the Knicks aren't a good team. All I have been saying is that it is too early in the season to be labeling them as championship material.

And Heat fans are the worst? Care to clarify? You sound angry.
And when/where did I claim you said the Knicks werent a good team....and youre talking about my reading coprehension.? I called you a hater...much like I am when it comes to the heat. I cant stand Miami but Ill never deny they arent a good team.

My point was youre saying no one on the EC is playing good except the Knicks, how do you know that though? How do you figure everyone else in the league isnt playing up to their potential?

As previuosly stated I could tell you the Knicks arent playing their best basketball yet...why because I watch them damn near every time they play. I can stll point out flaws right now but we'll honestly probably see the real knicks team once Stat comes back. And this is a carry over from last season once Mike Woodson took over. Theyve been playing great and aside from the playoffs last year(I believe) theyre something ridiculous like 18-1 at home under Woodson.

TL;DR-Lol you dont know **** bout my Knicks homie! Keep sleeping on them

mood4food77

Smash Hero
I think shumpert is more important to the knicks that stat, the offense is great, defense has had some lapses but when shump comes back, watch out

:phone:

theeboredone

Smash Legend
It's a long season and we're about a quarter way through. Things can change on whim, but I do like where the Knicks are headed. On my Power Rankings, they are definitely #1 with the Spurs/OKC/Memphis behind them somewhere in that mix. So technically, they are playing the best basketball as of now.

Mike Woodson and the veterans have gotten Melo to play some good D (which I knew he had the potential for), but I wonder if they can do the same for Amare? That dude is even worse. Combine that with possible chemistry issues, and this might create a ripple effect that may hurt them in the playoffs.

I do like Amare coming off the bench with JR Smith. That's a mad legit second unit already. Also, Melo and crew are not going to continue averaging 45% from 3 lol. In the playoffs, I do think that is going to dip anywhere from 5-10%.

Honestly, far as the Heat go. Wade is going to be 31 in January. That's close to the twilight years/starting to lose a step. If Wade can prevent that and stay healthy, I see them getting to the finals when they decide to "flip" the switch.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
And when/where did I claim you said the Knicks werent a good team....and youre talking about my reading coprehension.? I called you a hater...much like I am when it comes to the heat. I cant stand Miami but Ill never deny they arent a good team.
So thinking the Knicks (currently) are not a top 5 team going into the playoffs makes me a hater? I've even explained why I think so... If that makes me a hater then I guess I'm a hater?

My point was youre saying no one on the EC is playing good except the Knicks, how do you know that though? How do you figure everyone else in the league isnt playing up to their potential?
I already said why:

Heat- I've been following this team religiously since the Big 3 came together so I know what they look like when they're playing good basketball, and as of now, they're not. Far from it actually. Their current record is deceiving. Many, many, games have been nail biters against sub-par competition that shouldn't even be nail biters in the first place. They have a lot they need to work on.

Nets- This is a brand new team that's still figuring each other out. Regardless, they've already shown they have the potential to be a good team in the East and were playing great basketball until Lopez went down with an injury (and as I said earlier many Nets fans are saying themselves that Lopez has been the MVP of their team so far this season). This team clearly has a lot of upside if they can stay healthy and they will only get better with time.

Bulls- No D-Rose. Rose may come back sometime later in the season and when he does the Bulls will undoubtedly be better than they are now.

Celtics- Their age might finally be catching up to them, but they're still a threat going into the playoffs because their veterans simply know how to win games and they have a smart coach. Their role players for the most part are still feeling each other out and trying to find their roles on this team. They're also currently looking to make a trade for a big to help their poor rebounding/defensive issues. They'll undoubtedly be better once the playoffs are rolling around. They always step it up.

76'ers- No Bynum. Like the Bulls, the Sixers will clearly be a better team than they are now with their star center. How far they go is going to depend a lot on Bynum's health and how well he fits in with the rest of the team.

As previuosly stated I could tell you the Knicks arent playing their best basketball yet...why because I watch them damn near every time they play. I can stll point out flaws right now but we'll honestly probably see the real knicks team once Stat comes back. And this is a carry over from last season once Mike Woodson took over. Theyve been playing great and aside from the playoffs last year(I believe) theyre something ridiculous like 18-1 at home under Woodson.
Nobody plays their best basketball 22 games into the regular season. What I said was that they are currently playing much BETTER basketball than the rest of their EC competition and it's not even remotely debatable. Like TBO just said they're shooting crazy from the 3 point line right now (a rate I think is unsustainable). But I simply can't project how good this team really is until the above teams begin to show what they're truly capable of. I still don't understand how that makes me a hater. In terms of Amare he's going to either make a break the team this year. The Knicks offense has looked much, much more fluid since Amare has been gone. In addition to that, the Knicks defense has greatly improved. There's no guarantee that Amare will be a net positive for the Knicks. In my opinion STAT needs to be a 6th man.

TL;DR-Lol you dont know **** bout my Knicks homie! Keep sleeping on them
I know plenty about them. After watching a few of their games it's clear that this team has re-modeled themselves after the championship Mavericks. They have a savvy veteran PG that will play solid defense and prevent turnovers to prevent easy fast-break points for the Heat (Kidd-Kidd), a defensive center to prevent easy dribble penetration buckets (Chandler-Chandler), a huge scoring threat that can always get them points when the team needs them to score (Dirk-Melo), a dynamic 6th man that can come off the bench and score (Terry-J.R. Smith), and defensive stoppers that they can throw at LeBron and Wade (Stevenson/Marion-Shumpert/Brewer). In addition to all of that, nearly everyone can shoot the 3 ball to punish Miami's over-helping style of defense (just like the Mavs). Amare is the outlier. They clearly have the right foundation, but we still have yet to see if they can replicate what the Mavs were able to do when it matters the most. The first 23 regular season games won't determine that.

And I'm not sleeping on anyone. Only team I'm really concerned with right now is the Miami Heat. They're not playing good basketball right now but they'll turn it around. I still think they're the best team in the league when they're at their best. Chris Bosh agrees, "homie."

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
3 point shooting is questionable
the ball movement that circulates through carmelo and others
is not
thats why they are getting those shots
steve novak is one of the most accurate shooters in the league.
when carmelo goes out you bring in stat off the bench.
a role that he said he is comfortable with

i said on the last page
bynum has severe arthritis in his knees he is probably done for the season and his overall future in this sport is questionable

the 76rs are a first round, on there way out team as they dont have enough raw talent offensively

the bulls are more of the same

as a heat follower you should know what rose had to deal with when he faced the heat in the postseason.
they dont have enough talent on offense and the only reason why they have a good record is because they play every game like a playoff game, a pace that isnt sustainable nor is it good enough when the postseason arrives.
the bull organization has made no significant moves to get a great offensive weapon and because of that they have fallen behind.
rose getting healthy will be walking into the same problems the team had when the team was on all cylinders in 2011.

like everyone else
noone cares about the heat till the postseason which is a forgone conclusion
wades health leaves some question marks. on quality in the regular season

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
3 point shooting is questionable
the ball movement that circulates through carmelo and others
is not
thats why they are getting those shots
steve novak is one of the most accurate shooters in the league.
when carmelo goes out you bring in stat off the bench.
a role that he said he is comfortable with

i said on the last page
bynum has severe arthritis in his knees he is probably done for the season and his overall future in this sport is questionable

the 76rs are a first round, on there way out team as they dont have enough raw talent offensively

the bulls are more of the same

as a heat follower you should know what rose had to deal with when he faced the heat in the postseason.
they dont have enough talent on offense and the only reason why they have a good record is because they play every game like a playoff game, a pace that isnt sustainable nor is it good enough when the postseason arrives.
the bull organization has made no significant moves to get a great offensive weapon and because of that they have fallen behind.
rose getting healthy will be walking into the same problems the team had when the team was on all cylinders in 2011.

like everyone else
noone cares about the heat till the postseason which is a forgone conclusion
wades health leaves some question marks. on quality in the regular season
I don't think you're understanding my overall point... You just can't judge if a team is championship material or not 1/4 into the regular season especially if said team is unproven in the playoffs.

I keep repeating over and over that if the Knicks can consistently play this well throughout the season THEN we can talk about championship contenders. Until then they still have a lot they need to prove.

Linguini

Smash Master
Heat are slacking quite hard atm but i'm not too worried, this isn't last season. There are no chemistry issues and we know our formula works. Like TRG said, it's way too early to make any foregone conclusions.

Knicks are no joke, the heat cannot beat them playing how they have in the beginning of the season, and that has been proven seeing as they trashed us without melo. Knick fans can't really talk trash though seeing as we demolished them in the playoffs.

I remember when the knicks won game 3 at MSG and they acted like they won the championship; they proceeded to get bodied in MIA the next match lmao

Watching the lakers is painful, I would feel bad if they weren't such a stacked big market team.

Reaaaaally excited for the wolves, rubio is back vs dallas tonight and roy is close to recovering. WE in there!

Jem.

Smash Master
It only took 23 games for Durant to attempt more shots than Westbrook in a game this year.

10/14 Durant, Westbrook 4/13. I still believe OKC's achilles heel is going to be Westbrooks recklessness. Durant deserves to be shooting the ball more than Westbrook every game, and some argue Durant is even a better distributor than Westbrook.

Top Bottom