• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Basketball Thread

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
No, there is always a bad fall due to a bad foul being done. It's not some blue moon occurrence.
They are due to hard fouls, not due to premeditated attempts to cause serious harm to someone like Bynum's foul.

Like I said, a Flagrant 2 is defined by unnecessary and excessive contact. Bynum's suspension was warranted, but once again, it's stupid how KG doesn't even get a fine for half the stuff he does. It's not even just the ball tapping, but he has a history of being a dirty player, and don't even try to defend that. Players get reputations from repeated offenses. Some players are more protected than others. Kobe gets suspended for waving his arms around after a shot is blocked, but LBJ and Gasol don't? I mean, even Bruce Bowen got away with always sticking his foot under a player (Steve Francis got hurt really badly, because of it). The only time Bowen has ever gotten suspended was when he kicked CP3 when both fell to the ground. I mean, how the hell does he not get suspended, and only fined 7500 for bruce lee kicking Wally Zcerbiak?
Again, I'm not saying the NBA has always been fair (so I don't know why you keep bringing in these random examples), but I've never seen KG commit a foul as bad as Bynum's that didn't get him suspended. If you have an example of one, I'd like to see it.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
They are due to hard fouls, not due to premeditated attempts to cause serious harm to someone like Bynum's foul.

Again, I'm not saying the NBA has always been fair (so I don't know why you keep bringing in these random examples), but I've never seen KG commit a foul as bad as Bynum's that didn't get him suspended. If you have an example of one, I'd like to see it.
You can argue Garnett's hard screen that (which I defended, but he did lean in with the elbow) gave Mike Miller a concussion was a dirty play. Garnett didn't receive an offensive foul, let alone a flagrant or fine after the game. Kinda funny how hard of a screen that was when the possession or two before, Rondo ran into Z on a much more legal screen, because Perkins forgot to yell out "Screen" to Rondo.

Premeditated. A severe injury. How long was Miller out? 2 weeks? Doesn't look as bad as Bynum's collision, but a concussion is no joke either.

Blake Griffin would destroy you.
False. He doesn't know who I am, let alone where I live. Therefore, he can't destroy me.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
You can argue Garnett's hard screen that (which I defended, but he did lean in with the elbow) gave Mike Miller a concussion was a dirty play. Garnett didn't receive an offensive foul, let alone a flagrant or fine after the game. Kinda funny how hard of a screen that was when the possession or two before, Rondo ran into Z on a much more legal screen, because Perkins forgot to yell out "Screen" to Rondo.

Premeditated. A severe injury. How long was Miller out? 2 weeks? Doesn't look as bad as Bynum's collision, but a concussion is no joke either.
He did lean a bit, but I don't think he intended to cause serious harm to Miller and the concussion I think was mostly due to how Miller turned and ran right into it as opposed to being caused by the way the screen was set. It probably should have just been an offensive foul if anything. Clearly he was being vengeful for the earlier screen on Rondo, but I don't think he was trying to cause harm, but just to set a hard screen.

Blake Griffin would destroy you.
I dunno, man. Bored is a ****in power-ranger... not just anyone can take down a power-ranger. It would be an epic clash indeed.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I am so diggin my Celtic homie right now.

Anyways, we all know Rose is gonna win MVP, so what about the other awards? DPOY? All NBA first team? Defensive Team? M.I.P? Sixth man? We know rookie is also a given.

Edit: Interesting. Listening to the Bill Simmons podcast, he says that the Perkins trade affected Rondo a lot. I do remember reading about Rondo being the most upset about the trade, but Simmons say Rondo's play after the trade has been pretty bad, and a lot of it has to do with Perkins leaving. Were they ever that tight?

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lmao, the halftime show on TNT, for the "Ask Chuck" segment from Tmobile, this kid asked who's a better closer, LeBron or Wade? Since Chuck wasn't there, Webber took it and answered Kobe LOL.

tko112

Smash Lord
I'm seeing a pattern in the way the Lakers have been playing since the All-Star break:

1. get lazy in the 1st quarter
2. do work in the other 3 quarters

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Freakin a. This game was so freaking ********. All that sugar caused Odom to have a brain fart and foul Frye on a lunging 3. Game should have ended after the first OT. Then Kobe had a brain fart to take a floater, which he was fortunate to make when they were up 2 with the shot clock and game clock virtually identical.

Why is Webber constantly on the Heat's nuts?
I'm not sure if you're saying this from my statement, but Webber answered Kobe when the tmobile question was "Who is a better closer, LeBron or Wade?"

theeboredone

Smash Legend
I saw your comment and I've seen quite a few videos of Webber trashing the Heat in general.

Like this one- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nSXjebGjpI&feature=related
Lmao that was hilarious, but Webber really drives the point here. Props to him for this. I'm sorry, but if you're gonna be crying after a regular season loss, then...well just gtfo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVodHPriYjc

Also, after last night's performance, no doubt in my mind that LO should get sixth man of the year. He deserves it more than anybody.

Smash Master
Can you imagine if Lebron ever so much as threw an elbow in his career? I don't understand all this hate. I don't like how he slacks off in tough games, but the guy's hella talented and a class act and people are just hating way too much.

Also Kobe's the most overrated player in the history of professional sports. He's not clutch, and he's not good. He's a chucker. He's never even been the best player on his team during the playoffs when they won a title.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Can you imagine if Lebron ever so much as threw an elbow in his career? I don't understand all this hate. I don't like how he slacks off in tough games, but the guy's hella talented and a class act and people are just hating way too much.

Also Kobe's the most overrated player in the history of professional sports. He's not clutch, and he's not good. He's a chucker. He's never even been the best player on his team during the playoffs when they won a title.
There have not been many incidents regarding LBJ being a dirty player, but who the hell wants to watch a quitter? I don't understand why he constantly "slacks off" in the big moments when we know he can pull it off. That Detroit series a few years back when he scored 20 something straight points was amazing. At the same time, it was disheartening to watch him quit on his team last year vs the Celtics. What does that tell you about a person...that tells me.

1. He's only interested in himself, and his own image.
2. He doesn't have faith in his team to win.
3. He already has a premeditated plan to take his talents to South Beach.

LeBron has all the gifts and attributes to be the best player in the world, but he lacks the work ethic and that "Jordan gene". The gene to take over games effectively. LeBron is overall just a stat stuffer, but doesn't pull through when it matters most.

Also, neither of us know who he is as a person, we can only take what he gives to us in the media and on the court. He's done a bad job overall.

Your second statement is comedy gold though. I had a good laugh about this one. Yeah he shoots a lot, but so does Derrick Rose. So does Wade. So does LeBron. I guess they are shot chuckers too right? And what's your definition of clutch? The last two minutes of a game? The last shot taken? Funny how Lakers usually end up winning more often than losing in these "clutch" moments with Kobe commanding the helm.

And please, if you are insiting Gasol is their best player, you are not bright at all. When Bynum was out earlier this season, Gasol struggled badly playing at the center position. With Bynum out again for two games, Gasol could not do anything against Aldridge or Gortat. The guy could not even win a playoff game when he was the focal point of the offense back in Memphis. On top of that...his defense STINKS. Inexcusable Pick and Roll D, flat foot rebounding, soft around the basket, and constantly gets beat on defense due to his mental lapses.

Marcin Gortat: 9/15 - 24 points and 16 boards.
Gasol: 9/25 - 24 points and 13 boards.

It's one thing if that's Dwight, Aldridge, Dirk...but Gortat? LOL. Yeah, he's definitely the Lakers best player. Stop looking at the numbers and watch the game. You'll see how bad Gasol is on defense, along with how ineffective he is if he doesn't have Bynum on the floor with him, or if Kobe is not getting him easy looks. I mean, freaking Ryan Anderson did a number on him against Orlando last Monday.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Wow I actually gained my respect for Webber back after watching that... Everything he said was spot on.

And Heat fans have been saying it for the whole season but it's just now becoming more apparent to everyone else; LBJ is the best player on the team when he plays his best, but D Wade will most likely always be a better closer in clutch moments.

Games tied 5 seconds left on the shot clock who do I give the ball to? I'd rather give the ball to Wade and let him drive in the lane 9/10 times instead of LeBron.

LOL- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvuftl_vfDQ&feature=related

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
Edit: Interesting. Listening to the Bill Simmons podcast, he says that the Perkins trade affected Rondo a lot. I do remember reading about Rondo being the most upset about the trade, but Simmons say Rondo's play after the trade has been pretty bad, and a lot of it has to do with Perkins leaving. Were they ever that tight?
I dunno. I think it has to do more with the fact that there was nobody to handle the ball behind Rondo and give him some rest after Nate Robinson was traded and Delonte West was injured. This forced him to play almost every minute of every game, with his only backup being.... Avery Bradley. *shudder* Now they have Arroyo, which gives Rondo a good backup, but I think he's still recovering from having to play all those minutes.

Haha, this was funny. Made him just a bit more likeable to me, actually.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Ron has some affinity with ice cream. I remember after the Mavs game (or before? I forgot), one of his tweets was along the lines of going to get ice cream with Cuban. Lmao.

Smash Master
boreddude: go rewatch game 7 against the Celtics. Heck rewatch the whole series. Gasol won that title. The stats back me up. Kobe just took 50 shots a game. He's basically Melo.

And C-Webb's a ***** who just says whatever's popular. Calling it now, you'll definitely hear him trash Blake Griffin as soon as someone else gets wind of his team's lack of success.

Look at Cleveland now and tell me Lebron isn't the best player in the world. He got what was otherwise the worst team in basketball to the top 4. There's no other such obvious example of one player meaning so much to a team in NBA history.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
boreddude: go rewatch game 7 against the Celtics. Heck rewatch the whole series. Gasol won that title. The stats back me up. Kobe just took 50 shots a game. He's basically Melo.
Once again, you're looking just at numbers, but let's take a full look at it shall we?

Game 1:
-Kobe: 30 (10/22)-7-6
-Gasol: 23 (9/14)-14-3

Game 2:
-Kobe: 21 (8/20)-5-6
-Gasol: 25 (7/10)-8-3

Game 3:
-Kobe: 29 (10/29)-7-4
-Gasol: 13 (5/11)-10-4

Game 4:
-Kobe: 33 (10/22)-6-2
-Gasol: 21 (6/13)-6-3

Game 5:
-Kobe: 38 (13-27)-5-4
-Gasol: 12 (5/12)-12-0

Game 6:
-Kobe: 26 (9/19)-11-3
-Gasol: 17 (6/14)-13-9

Game 7:
-Kobe: 23 (6/24)-15-2
-Gasol: 19 (6/16)-18-4

So overall, Kobe played basically to his season average FG% minus Game 3 and 7. Gasol also played up to his average except for Games 5,6,7. But you only look at the numbers right? You don't look at how Kobe stopped the Celtics engine...RONDO. Kobe is arguably the best I've seen in guarding Rondo. If you remember all the hype surrounding Rondo last year in the playoffs, Rondo was the season they beat the Cavs, the reason they beat the Magic, but Kobe limited him in the Finals. Rondo is the engine that makes the Celtics go, and Kobe stopped that.

Garnett on the other hand...well I'm sure you remember Gasol accidentally slipping after Game 1 that KG had regressed...then KG proceeded to play to his = if not better for most of the series.

So defensively, Kobe stops Rondo. Gasol lets KG do his thing. Yeah, Gasol is obviously the MVP of this team. I mean, defense obviously doesn't win championships right? Numbers don't always tell the tale. Go watch any of the games again, and you'll see how effective Kobe was at guarding Rondo in comparison to Gasol guarding KG. Even KrazyGlue will back me up on this one.

And C-Webb's a ***** who just says whatever's popular. Calling it now, you'll definitely hear him trash Blake Griffin as soon as someone else gets wind of his team's lack of success.

Look at Cleveland now and tell me Lebron isn't the best player in the world. He got what was otherwise the worst team in basketball to the top 4. There's no other such obvious example of one player meaning so much to a team in NBA history.
Uh...it's called CRITICISM. When a guy ain't playing well, you call them out. Every NBA analyst does this. Tim Legler, Barkley, Kenny Smith, Jon Barry, Wilbon, WHOEVER. Everyone does the same thing.

That team was BUILT for LeBron. Just like how the Mavs are BUILT for Dirk. You saw what happened when he went out for those 9 or so games. They went 2-7. And look at all the talent they had. Tyson Chandler, J-Kidd, Terry, Butler. Yeah, LBJ is the best player in the NBA, but by no means is he some God. Why is it that LeBron can't take the Heat to 70+ wins? Why is it that the Cavs from last year or the year before had a better record than Miami? Every team is built differently, and some adjust better than others.

Also, the Cavs lost Varejao early to a season ending injury, they lost Big Z, Shaq, Delonte to free agency. Talk to anyone, and they will tell you having valuable bigs is important to a title. Delonte is an excellent bench player as well. At one time, the Cavs starting line up were all D-Leaguers brought up minus JJ Hickson. That's how injured they were.

Boston Patriots lost to the Grizz. Surprised they are playing so well with Gay out for the season.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Hmmm Boston's gonna allow Miami get the 2nd seed I already see that coming.

But what baffles me the most right now; why are the New York Knicks playing so poorly since Melo joined them? As of now they have a LOSING record... And why are the Nuggets playing so much better without him?

theeboredone

Smash Legend

But what baffles me the most right now; why are the New York Knicks playing so poorly since Melo joined them? As of now they have a LOSING record... And why are the Nuggets playing so much better without him?
I highly doubt Boston is going to let Miami get the second seed. Miami currently has two more losses than Boston, and with 12 games left, Boston would have to lose 3 for Miami to get the 2nd seed. Remember, Boston owns the tie breaker over them, so even if their records are tied, Boston would hold the fort.

I think Boston understands they need to be playing for the top seed, but if I had to craft some theory on both Knicks and Boston, both are mainly struggling due to their new acquisitions. It's hard to play as good or better than before a trade, because you're having players learn the system on the fly, along with learning each other's tendencies. There are sometimes exceptional cases like the Nuggets, and when LA got Gasol. However, the Mavericks last year struggled when they got Butler, and a few years before when they got Kidd. Orlando is still not there yet with their own cast, and the same can be said for Boston and New York.

But then again, Melo and Amare never play D...and when your coach doesn't teach D...well...that spells disaster LOL.

Spurs game was indeed fun to watch. Very intense, and a very dangerous team. I'm not even sure if anyone (CP3 or Deron) would want to go to the Knicks if...

-Dantoni remains there
-Miami Heat don't win a championship this year, let alone next year...thus proving the theory of 3 superstars can carry a team false.
-Knicks defense is garbage.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Lmao, funny tweet by Bill Simmons.

"My daughter's remaining pet turtle spends his days sadly looking around for his departed buddy. I have renamed him "Rajon." "

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
I'll try to remember this nice little quote for later. The two seed might be very important for the Heat though, if they do get it. They should be able to beat the Knicks, but they could definitely lose in the first round to the 76ers if they get the three seed.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
The Heat are definitely want that second seed and doesn't Coach Rivers tend to begin resting his superstars for the playoffs around this time?

If so I'm keeping my prediction.

Jane

Smash Hero
game day baby.

hopefully BYU beats florida and uconn beats sdsu.

and of course, hopefully ARIZONA SMASHES DUKE...

tucson is mad hype right now.

KrazyGlue

Smash Champion
SDSU played stupidly. They only needed to guard two guys: Walker and Lamb. Everyone else on UConn is trash. But they didn't realize that apparently. Well, I'm going to be last. Great. Just goes to show there's no point in putting time or research into your picks, because nothing can be predicted.

The Heat are definitely want that second seed and doesn't Coach Rivers tend to begin resting his superstars for the playoffs around this time?

If so I'm keeping my prediction.
He rests them if they're tired or injured.

HondaFoo

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
HondaFoo
Maaan AZ destroyed Duke...always great to see NC teams go down, I hate that state

Arizona is officially my second favorite team left in the tournament right now, hope they make it to the championship game against KU because:

1. They'll have beaten overrated Ohio St

2. KU can get revenge for its 1997 NCAA tourney loss (KU's '97 team was one of the top 10 best of all-time, with Paul Pierce, Jacque Vaughn, Raef LaFrentz, and Scot Pollard)

Nike.

Smash Hero
The teams in the NCAA I've hated with a burning passion are Texas, Duke, and Kansas.

Gawd it's good to be a U of A fan.

Top Bottom