• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bark, Quack, Boom! The Duck Hunt Subforum's First Ditto Tournament!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
BARK, QUACK, BOOM!!!

The Duck Hunt Subforums Official Ditto Tournament
Think you're the top dog around here? The Alpha of the pack? SETTLE IT, IN SMASH!!!

Rules!
  • 3 Stock, 8 Minutes.
  • No items.
  • Duck Hunt ONLY! No exceptions, nor may you gentlemen to choose other characters.
  • No Equipment, Default Moveset (Customs may be allowed if they are agreed upon by both players.)
  • Anther's Ladder stagelist and rules (Here's the link for the uninitiated.) At beginning of the match, both players will pick a number between 1 through 12, then roll these virtual dice (https://www.random.org/dice/). Whoever's guess was closest to the number rolled may choose if they wish to ban neutral stages first or not. Ties in the dice rolling means you must roll again again until someone wins (prior predictions do not change, stick with the first number you chose.)
  • Sets are best of 3, Finals are all best of 5.
  • You must play a set once every 2 days at MINIMUM. Those who stall for too long will be DQ'd.
  • Tourney will begin on 9/9/15 and will continue into the week(s) until we have a winner.
  • Use this discord server or this thread to talk with your opponents and arrange the matches. You can also use the Skype group if you like (paging @crashbfan).
You may sign up here or leave your tag in the thread below and I will add you manually to the bracket! Happy Hunting everyone!

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
Ha ha Oh sheeeeeez! I better start practicin' the ditto, den!

Things are gonna get craaaazy!

Editz: @PKnightmare

Doublez Editz: @arf

Last edited:

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Gosh, this is gonna be one explosive tournament...and a great learning experience.

Croi

Smash Lord
Why not.

• Anther's Ladder stagelist and rules (Here's the link for the uninitiated.) At beginning of the match, both players will pick a number between 1 through 12, then roll these virtual dice (https://www.random.org/dice/). Whoever's guess was closest to the number may choose if they wish to ban neutral stages first or not. Ties in the dice rolling means you must roll again again until someone wins (prior predictions do not change, stick with the first number you chose.)
This is weird and complicated. I'm just going to ask my opponent if they want to go first, it's not a big deal to me.
  • Sets are best of 2, Finals are all best of 3.
Are you sure you don't mean first to 2 and 3? Best of 2 is... if it's a tie, they have to reset the set.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Why not.

This is weird and complicated. I'm just going to ask my opponent if they want to go first, it's not a big deal to me.

Are you sure you don't mean first to 2 and 3? Best of 2 is... if it's a tie, they have to reset the set.
Fixed, sorry 'bout that ^^;

And yeah you're free to do starter stage striking however you like. Here we usually play RoShamBo to choose someone, but you can't really do it on the web, hehe...

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
May I join? I can't play Friday nights to Saturday nights do to obligations though.

ShinyGirafarig

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShinyGirafarig
3DS FC
5412-9895-2268
I think I will back out. Sorry. The scheduling is not the best right right now

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I will say I've got time constraints (work). I still want to get involved even if it means I'll likely be disqualified at some point (simply so I can learn from other duck hunts).

As I'm fairly new to this, and never done a tournament before, so I've got a bunch of questions:

• Anther's Ladder stagelist and rules (Here's the link for the uninitiated.) At beginning of the match, both players will pick a number between 1 through 12, then roll these virtual dice (https://www.random.org/dice/). Whoever's guess was closest to the number rolled may choose if they wish to ban neutral stages first or not. Ties in the dice rolling means you must roll again again until someone wins (prior predictions do not change, stick with the first number you chose.)
When you say 'ban neutral stages', what do you mean by a 'neutral stage'? I've tried looking at the rulesets on the link, which specify a set of stages, but it just mentions starter and counterpick stages. What happens if we don't have a particular DLC map (EG Dreamland)?

You'll probably have to explain how this works. I take it we share NNIDs and setup a smash match on friends? Or is this conducted differently?

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Last day for sign ups! @ Tha_Crystal_Gemz Tha_Crystal_Gemz Are you joining?

I will say I've got time constraints (work). I still want to get involved even if it means I'll likely be disqualified at some point (simply so I can learn from other duck hunts).

As I'm fairly new to this, and never done a tournament before, so I've got a bunch of questions:

When you say 'ban neutral stages', what do you mean by a 'neutral stage'? I've tried looking at the rulesets on the link, which specify a set of stages, but it just mentions starter and counterpick stages. What happens if we don't have a particular DLC map (EG Dreamland)?

You'll probably have to explain how this works. I take it we share NNIDs and setup a smash match on friends? Or is this conducted differently?
Starter/Neutrals stages are the same thing.

Both players start by banning stages. Usually you would choose who bans first by rock-paper-scissors, but since we can't do that on the web, I opted for dice rolling. You two could also just ask the other person whether or not they want to ban first or not, if you really don't want to roll dice.

The ban order is 1-2-1, so the first player bans a starter stage, then the other player bans 2 other starter stages, the the first player bans one last stage, leaving them with a first stage to play on.

Whoever wins the first match then gets to ban 2 stages from all the starter and counterpick stages. The loser then chooses the stage to play on.

Remember there is always the gentleman's agreement. If you both agree to play on a stage (legal or not), then you may play on the stage and it WILL count for tournament.

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
unfortunately, no...school won't allow me. next time, hopefully.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
Last day for sign ups! @ Tha_Crystal_Gemz Tha_Crystal_Gemz Are you joining?

Starter/Neutrals stages are the same thing.

Both players start by banning stages. Usually you would choose who bans first by rock-paper-scissors, but since we can't do that on the web, I opted for dice rolling. You two could also just ask the other person whether or not they want to ban first or not, if you really don't want to roll dice.

The ban order is 1-2-1, so the first player bans a starter stage, then the other player bans 2 other starter stages, the the first player bans one last stage, leaving them with a first stage to play on.

Whoever wins the first match then gets to ban 2 stages from all the starter and counterpick stages. The loser then chooses the stage to play on.

Remember there is always the gentleman's agreement. If you both agree to play on a stage (legal or not), then you may play on the stage and it WILL count for tournament.
That's confusing to me.

So basically to pick the first stage for the first page, we use dice to determine who bans 1 first, then the other bans 2 second, then the first bans another 1, leaving 1 out of 5 which is the chosen stage?

Is this done for every match?

TheWorstMuppet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheWorstMuppet
3DS FC
1332-8277-4239
That's confusing to me.

So basically to pick the first stage for the first page, we use dice to determine who bans 1 first, then the other bans 2 second, then the first bans another 1, leaving 1 out of 5 which is the chosen stage?

Is this done for every match?
It's not too confusing once you get the hang of it.

Assuming you have knowledge of what stages are beneficial to Duck Hunt against other match-ups (example, avoid taking Sheik to Smashville if you can help it), you should find the stage picking goes by fairly quick.

This happens for every match unless you both agree to the same stage, but that's up to you and your opponent.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
@ mayday_29 mayday_29 When can we play? I'm usually available in the afternoon and all night on the east coast.

Joshua Flynn

Smash Apprentice
I found the videos fascinating Croi. At the moment it looks like you're the one to beat, although I'm expecting Guy to be the heavy hitter.

Rather than criticisms, positives - I think Wispy does some excellent ledge-based attacks (up-airing a deadly can and down-airing Croi for a quick kill were both nice), and I think Croi has good can control.

One thing I am surprised to see is cans abandoned on-stage by recovering DHDs. Don't forget your own cans on-stage even when recovering, because you can use them to open up a second front (assuming they face towards the edge guarder) on the person guarding the ledge. Yes, they can easily hop it - but that hop or shield or dodge is an opening to recover unpunished. It's also a free move, because if you're using up air, all you can do (besides fly up) is shoot the can.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Any updates on matches that need to be played?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom