• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Barbara the Bat: Our Final Concert! Vote now!

Koopaul

Smash Champion

Barbara the bat is the star of Daigasso Band Brothers games for the GBA, DS, and 3DS. She has appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an Assist Trophy, electrifying people with her jamming tunes. I'm quite fond of Barbara, she's a unique character with a style quite different from other Nintendo franchises. Her attitude and spunk makes her seem like an awesome fighter!

CHARACTER INTRODUCTION

Barbara the Bat is the main character in the Daigasso! Band Brothers series. She's the leader of a band (on the guitar and vocals) that includes her brother "Ting Tin the Bat" (on the bass guitar), and "Pockin' the Death" (on the drums).

In addition to doing concerts, Barbara own a music store called "GB Music" (the GB stands for Great Barbara, not Game Boy) where she sells the player all kinds of instruments. In her most recent game she now runs a talent agency in Waruwaru Town. She's also the owner of a Magic Shop in the game Master of Illusion. The businesses she runs are slightly dubious, but never do anything too bad. Barbara is always looking to expand her business so who knows where she'll go from here?

BARBARA'S PERSONALITY

Barbara has quite the personality for a Nintendo character! While most Nintendo ladies are dainty and sweet, Barbara is incredibly arrogant and snarky. She's implied to be a dominatrix and that is supported by her mannerisms and wardrobe. She has a sick sense of humor that is coupled with plenty of innuendo and double entendre. She cracks the whip at her brother and pampers herself in a comical fashion. And unlike most Nintendo games, when you fail, Barbara will let the player know how much they suck. Despite her being egotistical and sometimes cruel, deep down she does care about the people around and really does want the player to succeed.

For more about her personality, read this TV Tropes article on "The Baroness"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBaroness

WHY BARBARA WOULD BE A GREAT CHARACTER
Barbara the Bat is a very distinct character with a style and personality no other Nintendo character has! Such a personality would be a delight to see on the battlefield. Nintendo seems to really like this character a lot too. She's cameo'd in various Nintendo titles and even had her own Nintendo Direct dedicated to her! So she's not just some throwaway nobody. She also has the potential to have a unique moveset composed entirely out of using instruments and music equipment as weapons.

[COLLAPSE= Moveset Ideas 1]
AAA Combo: Jabs opponent with the Head of the guitar repeatedly
A Side: Swings the guitar in front of her with one hand like a tennis racket
A Down: Sweeps the the ground in front of her with the guitar
A Up: Swipes the guitar overhead

Dash: Spins herself around once with the guitar in her hands

Smash Forward: Faces forward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst forward
Smash Down: Leans downward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst out of the ground around her
Smash Up: Leans upward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst into the air

Aerial: Spins herself around twice with the guitar in her hands
Aerial Forward: Swings the guitar with two hand like a hammer striking down (good meteor smash)
Aerial Back: Swings the guitar behind her
Aerial Down: Sweeps the guitar downward
Aerial Up: Twirls the guitar above her like a propeller blade

Throw Forward: Kicks the foe in front of her
Throw Backward: Throws the foe behind her and hits them with her butt
Throw Downward: Does an axe kick on the foe
Throw Upward: Does a kick flip

Special: Plucks a string and shoots a bobbing music note from the Head of the guitar like a gun. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the music notes get bigger and stronger.

Special Forward: Tosses a tambourine like a frisbee forward.

Special Down: Places a speaker box on the ground. When doing the regular Special, a round electric soundwave will also come out of the speaker. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the soundwaves get bigger and stronger.

Special Up: The guitar acts like a rocket with music notes. Barbara clings on as it launches up.

Final Smash: Jam with the Band! Barbara's band-mates appear as they start rocking out. This act like DK's Final Smash where you have to press the bottom in time with the music and send deadly soundwaves all over the stage.[/COLLAPSE]

LIST OF GAMES
Daigasso! Band Brothers (2004)
Jam with the Band (2008)
Daigasso! Band Brothers P (2013)
CAMEOS
Master of Illusion
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills!
Find Mii 2
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Here's Barbara's official Twitter account. Yes she has one!
https://www.twitter.com/bandbrothersp

And here's her official comic strip too! I'd love to see a translation, tell me if you know someone who can translate these.http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anej/barbara/index.html
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anej/barbara/index.html

FAN ART

This is just some of the awesome Barbara the Bat fan art I found. Please find some more!

Supporters:
SuperBrawler
3Bismyname
Keybladeguy
Inawordyes
Sobreviviente
Hypercat-Z
Cobalsh
Erotic&Heretic
Rock & Roller Wabbit
SirCamp
smashkirby

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm as surprised as you are! I guess its because she's from a mostly Japan only game.

Anyway out of Nintendo's two current music franchises, Rhythm Heaven and Daigasso Band Brothers, I'd say this one is more likely to get a character due to the fact that... well this game actually has a main character. However I strongly believe a Rhythm Heaven stage, and music is very likely.

Hippopotasauce

Smash Lord
NNID
Hippopotasauce
I did a search and couldn't find anything. I'm as surprised as you are! I guess its because she's from a mostly Japan only game.

Anyway out of Nintendo's two current music franchises, Rhythm Heaven and Daigasso Band Brothers.
Nintendo has far more than two rhythm-based franchises.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Currently active ones I mean.
yeah theres still more than those two.
Daigasso Band Brothers
Rhythm Heaven
Harmoknight
debatably Wario Ware games have some rhythm based elements.
that's just off the top of my head as im sure theres more as well. and Daigasso Band brothers isnt that active atm. its been what 3-5 years, depending on your region, since Jam With The Band and no word of a possible future. though I do like Barbera I totally support her.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Is Barbara the Bat an actual bat or a woman like Batwoman dressed in a bat costume?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
yeah theres still more than those two.
Daigasso Band Brothers
Rhythm Heaven
Harmoknight
debatably Wario Ware games have some rhythm based elements.
that's just off the top of my head as im sure theres more as well. and Daigasso Band brothers isnt that active atm. its been what 3-5 years, depending on your region, since Jam With The Band and no word of a possible future. though I do like Barbera I totally support her.
HarmoKnight is just one game. I don't consider one game a "series" yet. Also Daigasso Band Bros truly is an active series. It just got a Nintendo Direct dedicated completely to the new game Daigasso Band Brothers! P for the 3DS. Take a look:

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I support! Really surprised there was no thread for her since basically all of the assist trophies (even Nintendog!) have one.

loganhogan

Smash Ace

Make her a fist fighter with her guitar as a personal weapon.

I think people overlook Barbara because of her design, maybe Nintendo should redesign her outfit.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I came up with a moveset guys what do you think?

My Moveset:

AAA Combo: Jabs opponent with the Head of the guitar repeatedly
A Side: Swings the guitar in front of her with one hand like a tennis racket
A Down: Sweeps the the ground in front of her with the guitar
A Up: Swipes the guitar overhead

Dash: Spins herself around once with the guitar in her hands

Smash Forward: Faces forward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst forward
Smash Down: Leans downward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst out of the ground around her
Smash Up: Leans upward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst into the air

Aerial: Spins herself around twice with the guitar in her hands
Aerial Forward: Swings the guitar with two hand like a hammer striking down (good meteor smash)
Aerial Back: Swings the guitar behind her
Aerial Down: Sweeps the guitar downward
Aerial Up: Twirls the guitar above her like a propeller blade

Throw Forward: Kicks the foe in front of her
Throw Backward: Throws the foe behind her and hits them with her butt
Throw Downward: Does an axe kick on the foe
Throw Upward: Does a kick flip

Special: Plucks a string and shoots a bobbing music note from the Head of the guitar like a gun. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the music notes get bigger and stronger.

Special Forward: Tosses a tambourine like a frisbee forward.

Special Down: Places a speaker box on the ground. When doing the regular Special, a round electric soundwave will also come out of the speaker. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the soundwaves get bigger and stronger.

Special Up: The guitar acts like a rocket with music notes. Barbara clings on as it launches up.

Final Smash: Jam with the Band! Barbara's band-mates appear as they start rocking out. This act like DK's Final Smash where you have to press the bottom in time with the music and send deadly soundwaves all over the stage.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So today's picture Sakurai posted reinvigorated my interest with this character. I first thought it was a stage for Daigasso Band Bros. However it seems more likely to be a stage for Tomodachi Collection. Either way, it shows Sakurai is still willing to do a lot for Japan only games. It will be interesting to see what he might do for the Daigasso Band Bros. series.

I know there's been a lot of talk about Rhythm Heaven having a character. But I think if there was going to be a music based character, it would have to be Barbara.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Redesign? What way? I like her rocker girl style. It's unique to any Nintendo character.

Last edited:

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Redesign? What way? I like her rocker girl style. It's unique to any Nintendo character.
It's a bit too... sexy? ZSS was pushing it, and now here comes this half-naked bate girl? Furries would be flying!

A T-shirt with her band name on it, smaller *ahem* boobies, and larger bat wings would be awesome. If I could draw worth ****, I would, btw.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I wouldn't be surprised if Barbara gets in. She has potential, she is first-party, she starred in a recent game... She fulfills all the requirements.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's a bit too... sexy? ZSS was pushing it, and now here comes this half-naked bate girl? Furries would be flying!

A T-shirt with her band name on it, smaller *ahem* boobies, and larger bat wings would be awesome. If I could draw worth ****, I would, btw.
She was already in Smash Bros. Brawl looking like that anyway. I'd doubt they'd change it.

I do wonder why she has no bat wings. Maybe she can sprout some for her recovery?

If anyone else has a moveset idea for her I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
She was an AT. Little Mac shows that's a great path to being a PC. Waluigi does not though.

She'd be really cool. I had a decent KK Slider moveset that would fit her. If she's not in this game, she could be made for project m, being an AT and all.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So far the characters that he's shown that are returning as an AT are Starfy, Nintendog, Waluigi, and Andross. But I think there's a chance that one or two more former ATs will be playable.

The advantage Barbara has over a lot of them is that she has had a recent successful game.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Her series apparently ranked above Metroid in a popularity poll in Japan recently, so there's that. That's good news.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I figure a good stage for her would be in front of screaming fans with her bandmates jamming out behind. Sometimes the audience will get too wild and start throwing things at the fighters.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Sorry to bump this thread, but Barbara was one of the characters who was not shown to be an Assist Trophy on the Nintendo Direct. Many former Assists were shown but not her. This could be good news!

Also if anyone knows how we can get more people to discuss and promote this awesome character please let me know. This badass batgirl needs more love!

SirCamp

Smash Ace
I have to say I support this. Granted I harbor no delusions as to her chances, but I do feel she would make a great playable character. More female characters is always a plus (yay diversity!), but beyond that she represents a genre not yet represented in Smash while also appearing to be brimming with personality, unlike a certain other rumored character that I will not name. ;)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Alright! I got you guys down. Thanks for the support!

Also I had an idea for some alternate colors. Look at this.

Her colors could be based off of the different colored guitars she has for sale. The appearance of her guitar would match as well.

NNID
biscut0426
3DS FC
5129-3694-1023

It wouldn't be the same. Barbara's been the same for her entire series. It doesn't matter if furries get "excited" from her, the majority would see her a s a Smash character that represents a Japan only series. One last thing: It's just a video game. If it was Live Action Smash Bros, i'd understand, but it isn't. It's not like she's a *ahem* prostitute.
Not trying to pick a fight, just making a point.

Top Bottom