• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Barbara the Bat: Our Final Concert! Vote now!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Cool! This is a good way to get fans of those games more interested in Daigasso Band Bros.

Also the new "Debut Version" of the game is an eShop title that shows Barbara when she first started her music career... as a kid! Look here's a picture of young Barbara!

Isn't she adorable? She had wings when she was young and a more bat-like face. As she matured she became more human-like, how odd!

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Barbara the bat is the star of Daigasso Band Brothers games for the GBA, DS, and 3DS. She has appeared in Super Smash Bros. Brawl as an Assist Trophy, electrifying people with her jamming tunes. I'm quite fond of Barbara, she's a unique character with a style quite different from other Nintendo franchises. Her attitude and spunk makes her seem like an awesome fighter!

CHARACTER INTRODUCTION

Barbara the Bat is the main character in the Daigasso! Band Brothers series. She's the leader of a band (on the guitar and vocals) that includes her brother "Ting Tin the Bat" (on the bass guitar), and "Pockin' the Death" (on the drums).

In addition to doing concerts, Barbara own a music store called "GB Music" (the GB stands for Great Barbara, not Game Boy) where she sells the player all kinds of instruments. In her most recent game she now runs a talent agency in Waruwaru Town. She's also the owner of a Magic Shop in the game Master of Illusion. The businesses she runs are slightly dubious, but never do anything too bad. Barbara is always looking to expand her business so who knows where she'll go from here?

BARBARA'S PERSONALITY

Barbara has quite the personality for a Nintendo character! While most Nintendo ladies are dainty and sweet, Barbara is incredibly arrogant and snarky. She's implied to be a dominatrix and that is supported by her mannerisms and wardrobe. She has a sick sense of humor that is coupled with plenty of innuendo and double entendre. She cracks the whip at her brother and pampers herself in a comical fashion. And unlike most Nintendo games, when you fail, Barbara will let the player know how much they suck. Despite her being egotistical and sometimes cruel, deep down she does care about the people around and really does want the player to succeed.

For more about her personality, read this TV Tropes article on "The Baroness"
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheBaroness

WHY BARBARA WOULD BE A GREAT CHARACTER
Barbara the Bat is a very distinct character with a style and personality no other Nintendo character has! Such a personality would be a delight to see on the battlefield. Nintendo seems to really like this character a lot too. She's cameo'd in various Nintendo titles and even had her own Nintendo Direct dedicated to her! So she's not just some throwaway nobody. She also has the potential to have a unique moveset composed entirely out of using instruments and music equipment as weapons.

[COLLAPSE= Moveset Ideas 1]
AAA Combo: Jabs opponent with the Head of the guitar repeatedly
A Side: Swings the guitar in front of her with one hand like a tennis racket
A Down: Sweeps the the ground in front of her with the guitar
A Up: Swipes the guitar overhead

Dash: Spins herself around once with the guitar in her hands

Smash Forward: Faces forward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst forward
Smash Down: Leans downward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst out of the ground around her
Smash Up: Leans upward and strums the guitar, sending an electric wave burst into the air

Aerial: Spins herself around twice with the guitar in her hands
Aerial Forward: Swings the guitar with two hand like a hammer striking down (good meteor smash)
Aerial Back: Swings the guitar behind her
Aerial Down: Sweeps the guitar downward
Aerial Up: Twirls the guitar above her like a propeller blade

Throw Forward: Kicks the foe in front of her
Throw Backward: Throws the foe behind her and hits them with her butt
Throw Downward: Does an axe kick on the foe
Throw Upward: Does a kick flip

Special: Plucks a string and shoots a bobbing music note from the Head of the guitar like a gun. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the music notes get bigger and stronger.

Special Forward: Tosses a tambourine like a frisbee forward.

Special Down: Places a speaker box on the ground. When doing the regular Special, a round electric soundwave will also come out of the speaker. Hitting the B button in a certain rhythm will make the soundwaves get bigger and stronger.

Special Up: The guitar acts like a rocket with music notes. Barbara clings on as it launches up.

Final Smash: Jam with the Band! Barbara's band-mates appear as they start rocking out. This act like DK's Final Smash where you have to press the bottom in time with the music and send deadly soundwaves all over the stage.[/COLLAPSE]

LIST OF GAMES
Daigasso! Band Brothers (2004)
Jam with the Band (2008)
Daigasso! Band Brothers P (2013)
CAMEOS
Master of Illusion
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
English Training: Have Fun Improving Your Skills!
Find Mii 2
Super Smash Bros. For 3DS
Super Smash Bros. For Wii U

Here's Barbara's official Twitter account. Yes she has one!
https://www.twitter.com/bandbrothersp

And here's her official comic strip too! I'd love to see a translation, tell me if you know someone who can translate these.
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/anej/barbara/index.html

FAN ART

This is just some of the awesome Barbara the Bat fan art I found. Please find some more!

Supporters:
SuperBrawler
3Bismyname
Keybladeguy
Inawordyes
Sobreviviente
Hypercat-Z
Cobalsh
Erotic&Heretic
Rock & Roller Wabbit
SirCamp
smashkirby
That moveset is awesome! Though I'd suggest using sound waves for the aerial moves. Your decision. BTW, you voted for Barbara on the Smash Ballot, right? What reson exactly did you put down for her to considered as playable by Sakurai? The reason I'm simply asking is this: http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/10/smash-ballot-more-suggestion-than-popularity/

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I've come up with other moveset ideas too. Like her Up Special could be her bouncing off a Drum. When she jumps off it, a small shockwave comes out.

As for my reason? I explained that Barbara is a very distinct character that stands out from other Nintendo characters. Her personality and style are simply not touched on by other characters. She could attack people with musical instruments which would make her fighting style stand out from others.

More importantly, bringing her in Smash will allow Western audiences to know and love this character. Her exposure could lead to Daigasso Band Bros being released in the West one day!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've come up with other moveset ideas too. Like her Up Special could be her bouncing off a Drum. When she jumps off it, a small shockwave comes out.

As for my reason? I explained that Barbara is a very distinct character that stands out from other Nintendo characters. Her personality and style are simply not touched on by other characters. She could attack people with musical instruments which would make her fighting style stand out from others.

More importantly, bringing her in Smash will allow Western audiences to know and love this character. Her exposure could lead to Daigasso Band Bros being released in the West one day!
Oh, right! You know, Jam with the Band WAS going to be released here in the US, but some reason or another, the release was canceled.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Probably because they tend not to localized dialogue heavy games because it costs a lot.

Jam with the Band was released in Europe but then after that they never got another game from that series.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So recently InASnowBoundLand from the K. Rool topic discovered a complaint page from Japanese fans. It talks a lot about K. Rool but also mentions how Barbara should be a character too! Here it is!

This is awesome to see that Japanese fans want her in there. The next challenge is to get Westerners to like her. Anyway I have another treat. It's Barbara the Bat's theme song! Yes, and the lyrics are in English.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23745641

Unfortunately I can only find it on Niconico the Japanese site and you have to register to watch it. If you don't want to register I wrote down all the lyrics for you to read!

Money, money
Money, money
I want it all, yeah!

I want your money
(Cash, cheque or credit card please!)
Gimme all your money
(Give it to me now!)
I'm always scheming
(Forever dreaming)
One day I'll get rich
Oh! Show me the money, oh yeah!

Oh! I want your money
(Hurry up, and make it quick now)
Gimme all your money
(More money for me!)
Sometimes I worry
(It's not easy being me)
Sometimes I cry
Oh! My name is Barbara the Bat

And I'm working so hard,
everyday, even nights
Work my fingers to the bone
I'm still dirt poor
What can I do?
No, it's no life for me
Flatout broke and penniless
Oh no!

(Oh, you know I don't want much
"Just all your life savings
and a few diamond rings, too"
And I want a house and a pony,
a fast car and a Hawaiian holiday...
With you!)

I want your money!
Gimme all your money!
I'm always scheming
(Forever dreaming)
One day I'll get rich
Oh! Mayfair and Beverly Hills

Oh! I want your money!
Gimme all your money!
I am so lonely
(So very lonely)
Sometimes I cry
I am Barbara the Bat!
Bat! Bat! Bat!

(And a last word from me)
I will be Queen

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So recently InASnowBoundLand from the K. Rool topic discovered a complaint page from Japanese fans. It talks a lot about K. Rool but also mentions how Barbara should be a character too! Here it is!

This is awesome to see that Japanese fans want her in there. The next challenge is to get Westerners to like her. Anyway I have another treat. It's Barbara the Bat's theme song! Yes, and the lyrics are in English.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm23745641

Unfortunately I can only find it on Niconico the Japanese site and you have to register to watch it. If you don't want to register I wrote down all the lyrics for you to read!

Money, money
Money, money
I want it all, yeah!

I want your money
(Cash, cheque or credit card please!)
Gimme all your money
(Give it to me now!)
I'm always scheming
(Forever dreaming)
One day I'll get rich
Oh! Show me the money, oh yeah!

Oh! I want your money
(Hurry up, and make it quick now)
Gimme all your money
(More money for me!)
Sometimes I worry
(It's not easy being me)
Sometimes I cry
Oh! My name is Barbara the Bat

And I'm working so hard,
everyday, even nights
Work my fingers to the bone
I'm still dirt poor
What can I do?
No, it's no life for me
Flatout broke and penniless
Oh no!

(Oh, you know I don't want much
"Just all your life savings
and a few diamond rings, too"
And I want a house and a pony,
a fast car and a Hawaiian holiday...
With you!)

I want your money!
Gimme all your money!
I'm always scheming
(Forever dreaming)
One day I'll get rich
Oh! Mayfair and Beverly Hills

Oh! I want your money!
Gimme all your money!
I am so lonely
(So very lonely)
Sometimes I cry
I am Barbara the Bat!
Bat! Bat! Bat!

(And a last word from me)
I will be Queen
What I really want to know is will all of this go to Sakurai or at least Nintendo themselves at all?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
They see these things, but ultimately it's up to Sakurai. Even if the demand is large enough, if he doesn't like the idea, it won't get in.

So who knows?

Koopaul

Smash Champion
This is it guys! We're almost done! If there is anyone still out there who wants to vote for the most badass babe from WaruWaru City, do so now.

This is our last gig. Even if we don't win let Sakurai know there are people in the West who love her!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Last day! Last chance! Vote now!

I did my best for Barbara.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Voted for that bat about a month ago, mostly since he design is pretty interesting (if not for the Tumblr burn factor). Plus my girlfriend is a fan of her games, even the the point of playing the new game on her Japanese 3DS.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wow that's great to hear.

I hope someday her series gets to come out in the States.

Top Bottom