• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bar Wars: The Region Strikes Back -Results-

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Work in progress!

I'm going to make a series of posts as I get the files and info. So stay tuned.

Melee Doubles
22 teams (Bracket)
1: CRS.Chillin + MIOM | Mango
2: Hax + ChuDat
3: Redd + Wenbo
4: Cyrain + Reno
5: Zhu + Cactuar
5: Vist + thumbswayup
7: Junebug + SmashG0D
7: G-reg + KM
9: Arcadia + MilkMan
9: Laijin + CK
9: Boss + Brewster
9: Sypher + Fortune
13: Russ + Nino
13: Papapaint + BigWenz
13: Serbian Ice + Nick Hazard
13: Cava + KVN
17: Turbo Gilman + DK SmaSH (DQ)
17: DCE | Baby + DCE | Bulacaflocka
17: Mega + Super
17: Scoopy + Bund
17: Cheif Jeef + Blue Hazard
17: Mel + KON

Melee Singles (based on matches played. Tournament was not completed. Top 6 agreed to split)
91 Entrants (Bracket Image)
1:ChuDat
2:CRS.Chillin
2:Cactuar
4:MIOM | Mango
4:Nintendude
4:Milkman
7: thumbswayup
7: Zhu
9: Cyrain
9: Hax$ (forfeit to thumbswayup)
9: VGBC | Redd
9: Wenbobular
13: Bones0
13: Darkflame
13: Laijin
13: Reno
17: The_Doug
17: Kaffei
17: g-regulate
17: SG
17: BigWenz
17: SmashG0D
17: Russ
17: ChaosKnight
25: crescentia
25: Junebug

PM Singles
96 Entrants (Bracket Image)
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
CRS.Chillin
$160.00
2nd
Boss
$64.00
3rd
Junebug
$44.80
4th
SCG FS | Zhime
$28.80
5th
VGBC | Hax
$11.20
5th
SmashG0D
$11.20
7th
VGBC | Redd
7th
ChuDat
9th
Seagull Joe
9th
2fast
9th
Miom Mango
9th
JCaesar
13th
Cyrain
13th
Vanguard
13th
E2xD
13th
YarsRevengerson
17th
Forte
17th
CrescentMonkey
17th
Plank
17th
MilkMan
17th
ADA
17th
The_Doug
17th
Jesse
17th
Pink Fresh
25th
EastCoastEddie
25th
White-Peach
25th
Pitzer
25th
Darkflame
25th
Jewchainz
25th
Nacker
25th
Bobz
25th
Squeak

Last edited:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
SHOUTOUTS

-Louis: For going hard and working the event. Without this guy, none of it would have been possible.
-
JCeaser: Running PM pools and brackets mostly by himself. Also seeded everyone with ease.
-
Sypher: Running Melee pools and brackets completely by himself. With little input from his peers, he stepped up and tackled the seeding and getting drunk people to play their matches.
-CHELL: Handled registration with some help from g-regs girlfriend. She loved meeting everyone!
-
GimR: Streaming tycoon. Boss haus. All around huge impact as to why the tournament had such a large sucess.
-
Papapaint: Made the most ridiculously amazing trailer ever. So hype. Too bad Azen didn't show, but it was still so perfect. Pro at commentary.

-Amanda and Tish: The servers for the event. They worked 12+ hour shifts for this, all while running up and down those stairs. They did so well, and hopefully had enough rest after that.

-TK: All around cool dude. Helped shout matches for PM pools. Amazing commentary.
-EE: Brought a boat load of power strips and extension cords. We needed them so badly, and he hooked it up. Many thanks.
-Vanguard: Commentary amazingness. Brought extra supplies as well

-Zhime for coming all the way from PA by himself
-Reno, Cactuar & Hax for making it down and showing MDVA that we need to be less fraudulent.
-Zhu for making it down, and allowing me to fanboy him for a little.
-Mango for twirling
-Chillin for hyping up the event, and pulling that combo off on Hax
-Cyrain for being the happiest drunk

-MilkMan for looking cute in his $1 shirt
-EastCoastEddie for being a hype monster and helping with setup early in the day
-Bobz for being in too many pools
-Nintendude for the advice early in the planning process
-Thumbs for being a cool dude, dude.
-

Last edited:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Things that went wrong:

-The PA system wasn't working as promised.
-The downstairs area was smaller than promised.
-Too much smoking downstairs that made players not want to play.
-Melee pools took too long to run due too...
-Too little setups. Much less than what people said they were going to bring.
-Some people brought in outside food.
-Players refusing to play off stream towards the end of the bracket.
-Double booked with a terrible band.
-Didn't DQ enough people. I shouldn't have to run around for an hour looking for people to play a match.
-Streaming setup was too large as far as space that was taken up. Small areas next to the stream were not being used properly.
-People taking home their setups early.

Last edited:

MysteryRevengerson

IT'S A MYSTERY TO ALL
Shoutouts to Jesse for playing in tourney AND running it, sorry the whole event was kinda keeping your attention, hopefully we can play again under less stressful settings.

Good games to my opponents!

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Looks like a complete cluster****. A number of top players and a Top 6 split? LOL!

Hax is so technical but so bad. LOL @ SDing last stock of GF after missing consecutive telegraphed ledge dashes. That's what you get for selling out.

Well, not that we missed much of anything. MD/VA region is super boring/LOL/safe.

Also LOLed at Mango's ignorance re America. Yikes. Propaganda for the win; Mango's a sheeple, hook line and sinker.

Last edited:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Looks like a complete cluster****. A number of top players and a Top 6 split? LOL!

Hax is so technical but so bad. LOL @ SDing last stock of GF after missing consecutive telegraphed ledge dashes. That's what you get for selling out.

Well, not that we missed much of anything. MD/VA region is super boring/LOL/safe.

Also LOLed at Mango's ignorance re America. Yikes. Propaganda for the win; Mango's a sheeple, hook line and sinker.

Dude, go away. This was at a bar and everyone was drinking. **** off if you don't have anything better to say. You go host a tournament and lets see how well it turns out.

CTL17

Smash Lord
Oh my god that Falcon side of Loser's bracket with G-reg, Darkflame, thumbs, and hax (still count him to justify this claim).

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Dude, go away. This was at a bar and everyone was drinking. **** off if you don't have anything better to say. You go host a tournament and lets see how well it turns out.
Nonsense.

The worst thing to ever happen to Smash was becoming corporate.

But now that it is, one's gotta roll with it (or gtfo).

Personally, I side closer to "gtfo." But I've been around for years and have run tournaments, so miss me with that appeal to authority schtick.

How about not having tournaments at bars? How low brow and codependent can you get?

Have some standards, dude. Just because alcohol is socially acceptable doesn't mean it's not a serious, debilitating drug, first of all.

Frankly I'm all for injecting some morality and having nothing to do with such a ruinous toxin. This is, for all intents and purposes, a "kid's game." Impressionable minds. Just like I don't want to see beer commercials when I watch basketball, I don't want Smash -- which in one of my idyllic moods is a symbol for freedom, creativity and discipline -- associated with liquor, either.

And the evidence is in plain sight. Mango has been a glorified alcoholic for years. Do I really need to quote the above dude's anecdote?

Furthermore, Smash has an increasing responsibility to the fan(atic), of which I am begrudgingly (and temporarily) a voice of. How is it good for business if the tournament doesn't offer a satisfactory climax? Hard to handwave this away when vgbootcamp is integral for Smash's prior and continued growth.

Splitting is tantamount to collusion if you ask me. Thanks for the blue balls.

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
You act like TOs are hosting events at bars to encourage drinking... You've got it backwards. Smashers already drink and socialize when eating. All bar tourneys do are make these more convenient so players don't have to go somewhere else mid-tourney. I'm sure you held your tongue through all 3 Kings of Cali events, so the fact that you're butthurt over this event is ridiculous.

Splitting top 6 because there wasn't enough time isn't even close to collusion. Do you even know what collusion means?

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
You act like TOs are hosting events at bars to encourage drinking...
Or maybe you're simply misinterpreting.

I'm sure you held your tongue through all 3 Kings of Cali events, so the fact that you're butthurt over this event is ridiculous.
I've never been to a Kings of Cali. Which means I never supported Kings of Cali. Baseless assumption, assuming I supported them.

Furthermore, so what if I did? What if that experience, over time, taught me a lesson and led me to change my mind?

Splitting top 6 because there wasn't enough time isn't even close to collusion. Do you even know what collusion means?
As is typically the case, it's challenging to discuss these things with "Smashers" because of groupthink. Shed your defensiveness and exercise your rational ability.

Splitting is most certainly a form of collusion. Competitors -- or should I say "competitors"? -- discussing amongst themselves a way to fraud the complete premise of a tournament, agreeing not to have a winner or a loser.

From where I sit it takes only a little creative thinking to understand how it's collusion. In what other sport would this be remotely acceptable?

Or is Smash not a sport?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
I've never been to a Kings of Cali. Which means I never supported Kings of Cali. Baseless assumption, assuming I supported them.

Furthermore, so what if I did? What if that experience, over time, taught me a lesson and led me to change my mind?
Have you ever been to a Bar Wars?

If you "learned a lesson", I don't see why you would specifically target a single tournament series for hosting tournaments at bars. GTFO out of the results thread and post your own thread in Tournament Discussion about how bar tourneys are causing society to crumble.

As is typically the case, it's challenging to discuss these things with "Smashers" because of groupthink. Shed your defensiveness and exercise your rational ability.
How am I exhibiting groupthink or being irrational? You have been hurling insults since your first post in this thread so telling anyone to be rational is extremely ironic. Are you on your period or something?

Splitting is most certainly a form of collusion. Competitors -- or should I say "competitors"? -- discussing amongst themselves a way to fraud the complete premise of a tournament, agreeing not to have a winner or a loser.

From where I sit it takes only a little creative thinking to understand how it's collusion. In what other sport would this be remotely acceptable?

Or is Smash not a sport?
That's... not what happened? Let me repeat: top 6 split because there wasn't enough time to finish the tournament. It was the TO's call to end the tournament. This was not 6 players who didn't feel like competing because they wanted a chunk of the pot. The venue was closing. Collusion implies secrecy, and there was none at this event.

Last edited:

shadrach kabango

Banned via Warnings
Warning Received
I don't see why you would specifically target a single tournament series
Don't flatter yourself. I'm not targetting a " series." This tournament didn't play out the most important singles matches. That's a huge ****-up. Culpability and admittance of error should be expressed. Your inability to admit even that speaks volumes re: your own bias.

How am I exhibiting groupthink or being irrational?
Is that a rhetorical question?

You have been hurling insults since your first post in this thread
Inaccurate.

so telling anyone to be rational is extremely ironic.
That's not ironic.

Are you on your period or something?
That's sexist.

That's... not what happened? Let me repeat: top 6 split because there wasn't enough time to finish the tournament. It was the TO's call to end the tournament. This was not 6 players who didn't feel like competing because they wanted a chunk of the pot. The venue was closing. Collusion implies secrecy, and there was none at this event.
So it was just an overt failure of leadership and organization rather than a covert operation. That simplifies things.

You have a knack for blatantly ignoring points you cannot directly counter or are otherwise unwilling to concede. As I said earlier: in what sport is this acceptable? Or is Smash not a sport?

Last edited:

Bones0

Smash Legend
Don't flatter yourself. I'm not targetting a " series." This tournament didn't play out the most important singles matches. That's a huge ****-up. Culpability and admittance of error should be expressed. Your inability to admit even that speaks volumes re: your own bias.

Is that a rhetorical question?

Inaccurate.

That's not ironic.

That's sexist.

So it was just an overt failure of leadership and organization rather than a covert operation. That simplifies things.

You have a knack for blatantly ignoring points you cannot directly counter or are otherwise unwilling to concede. As I said earlier: in what sport is this acceptable? Or is Smash not a sport?
1. Unless you've gone into the threads of other bar tourneys and made the same complaints you are making here, you are targeting it. Yeah, not finishing was obviously bad, but very little of your complaints have been about the splitting (which you didn't even understand was the TO's call, not collusion by the players). As far as acknowledging error, I wasn't a TO and therefore have nothing to acknowledge. Maybe you should read the third post before accusing the TOs of ignoring what went wrong.

2. No.

3. You called the tournament a cluster**** when you weren't even there. You accused the top players of choosing to split. You called Hax bad and a sellout. You called our region boring. You called Mango ignorant. And all of that was just from your first post.

4. It's ironic because you are complaining about a lack of logic while acting overtly emotional over a tournament you didn't even attend.

5. I guess I'm sexist.

6. Yeah, there were organizational problems that prevented the tournament from finishing on time. Way worse stuff has happened at many other events, not just Smash or even video game related.

7. What points have I ignored? Your hypocrisy is astounding since you completely ignored my question about whether you attended a Bar Wars (thus I was left to assume no), and you even answered one of my questions with another question to avoid actually explaining your initial insult. No one in this thread cares about your opinion since you weren't even at the event and are being hysterical with every criticism. What do you hope to gain from continuing to berate people in this thread? The only reason I'm even bothering to reply is because it's hilarious how up in arms someone can be about a tournament that, outside of not finishing on time (a common occurrence), ran perfectly fine.

Didn't see the last post. Whatever, I'm done.

Last edited:

Chroma

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but are we not supposed to comment on the fact that singles didn't finish?
Just because it's uncomfortable for your region to hear doesn't mean criticisms aren't valid.
Shame too, there were gonna be some cool matches coming up.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm sorry, but are we not supposed to comment on the fact that singles didn't finish?
Just because it's uncomfortable for your region to hear doesn't mean criticisms aren't valid.
Shame too, there were gonna be some cool matches coming up.
Commenting on the fact that singles didn't finish isn't the same as flaming anyone and everyone who went when the person didn't even attend themselves. The first thing that happened after the event was that our region's FB group started a discussion about how to prevent instances like this in the future.

Last edited:

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Simply put, not finishing singles is literally unacceptable, but in this case there was no choice. The event took too much time.

I can't really offer up any suggestion though as I wasn't there and only heard third hand what might've contributed to it.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
@ TheTantalus TheTantalus : In the third post, there's a list of things that delayed the event but that's not the only things. There were a lot of specific circumstantial things that went wrong.

@ Bones0 Bones0 : Thanks for the support. That guy is an idiot.

@ Chroma Chroma : I'll take all the blame for the event not finishing, but there's nothing we could do. The players around LR3/WR4 were refusing to play off stream because there were so many killers. I think the only people I was able to force off stream was MilkMan and thumbswayup. Otherwise, everyone wanted that e-fame. Plus around that same time, everyone who had been drinking earlier was getting really tired, so they didn't feel like playing anyway. I cannot force players to play their matches, and unfortunately, the top 10 or so decided to get to top 6 and quit before I was even informed of it.

It's a shame, but we didn't have a choice. Plus, keep in mind that this is my second time hosting a tournament, outside of a couple 10-15 man weeklies.

ChuDat

Smash Master
Yeah, give Jesseyo a break! This is his second time hosting a tournament. The first time, Chillindude did most of the work. He's doing this for the community.

Jesse - You should probably use any money you can find to buy a megaphone of some sorts, or at least hire BigWenz lol. Also, you could try to start the tournament earlier, like at 12 PM or 11 AM. Definitely prioritize matches being played rather than them being played on stream. Oh, and separate the two tournaments imo. One downstairs and one upstairs. Hire a team for downstairs that can stream and run the tournament for you. Also, you should possibly have a Monitor with the bracket for upstairs and downstairs. You can definitely add PM Doubles back in if you do all these things imo :).

Also, THANKS AGAIN FOR HOSTING JESSE!!

Redd

thataintfalco.com
BRoomer
I think it would also be good to get reliable recording setups via people that ACTUALLY upload the footage. People don't mind playing off stream that much, but they do want to be able to see their matches later.

bertbusdriver

Smash Ace
I cannot force players to play their matches, and unfortunately, the top 10 or so decided to get to top 6 and quit before I was even informed of it.

It's a shame, but we didn't have a choice. Plus, keep in mind that this is my second time hosting a tournament, outside of a couple 10-15 man weeklies.
You CAN force people to play their matches. That's your responsibility as a TO. "We're running behind, so not everyone can play on stream. Start your match in the next 10 minutes of both of you are DQ'd."

I'm sure next time will go more smoothly. Take it as a learning experience

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I wasn't aware people were being anal about playing on stream when it was past midnight. I played both Redd and Hax off stream no questions asked.

SacaSuMoto

Smash Journeyman
sounds like this tourney was a pain in the ass to run. gg no re.
very disappointing to see this kind of thing happen.
step it up next time TO.

Last edited:

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
I was on MIOM podcast stream thing just now. In case anyone wanted to watch it and hear what I had to say about it.

Top Bottom