• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banning Characters in Smash?

Nebunera

Smash Apprentice
So I got this idea from playing League of Legends today...

In League of Legends, when you choose a character, you also get to ban a character for that game, because it is overpowered, annoying to deal with, etc. and each person gets to ban one.

What if you could do this in Smash? In the competitive mode, during character select you have a set amount of time to ban 2 characters, and it tells you if your opponent banned your character?

For example, if it were on SSB4, I would ban Rosalina and Bayonetta cause those are really annoying to deal with.

Any thoughts on this? :)

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

In League of Legends, when you choose a character, you also get to ban a character for that game, because it is overpowered, annoying to deal with, etc. and each person gets to ban one.

What if you could do this in Smash? In the competitive mode, during character select you have a set amount of time to ban 2 characters, and it tells you if your opponent banned your character?

For example, if it were on SSB4, I would ban Rosalina and Bayonetta cause those are really annoying to deal with.

That seems like less of a balancing idea and more of a salty way to prevent certain players from playing with their mains.

Imagine if someone bans your mains because they know they are your best characters. It stops being fun or rewarding.

R3D3MON

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KeeHwang2010
League and smash aren't compatible, stop.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

There are several reasons why this works for League but not Smash:
  • There are champions in League that completely shut down other champs. If you thought some matchups in Smash were bad, some of the worst matchups in League prevents you from even playing the game before you get support from your allies. This is mostly due to how shallow the game is in a 1v1 scenario - the game's depth comes from possible interactions in 2v2s, 3v5s, 5v5s, etc.
  • In Smash, as well as many other fighting games, players typically main a single character. In League, players main a single "role", whether it be AD carry, AP carry, Tank, Jungler. In League, you are expected to have knowledge of several different champions for your main role - thus giving room for team synergy with your allies' champions. Because of this, having your favorite champ banned in LoL isn't such a big deal in comparison.
  • League of Legends is an inherently imbalanced game. Riot introduces a new character every 2-3 months. For them, it's impossible for them to take into account every possible matchup and interaction before release. Having character bans is a very simple and effective way to solve the all too common "broken champ", while allowing them to add new content at the rate in which they do

tl;dr:
League and smash aren't compatible, stop.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
I don't play or really know all that much about League of Legends, but if I had to guess from playing somewhat similar games, this is only a good idea because it's a team-based game with a relatively large amount of characters per side, and you have to put careful consideration into your team composition. Banning would then be a strategic choice to enable your team composition and maybe screwing the opposite team's.

There's no advantages whatsoever to doing the same for Smash. Characters are not built around specific roles because they all have to completely function on their own. Even for a team-based 8-player Smash I don't think it'd be worth it.

Top Bottom