• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo Moveset Speculation

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I hope that Breegull Blaster is basically like pulling out a gun item, though one that limits your ability to double jump and dash while out. That would be unprecedented in Smash Brothers.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think the eggs take up two special moves.

Up B is obviously the shock spring, and the Wonderwing should be Side B. I imagine the golden feathers will just recharge with time.
We haven't seen any other obvious special move apart from the eggs, though. And the way we've seen them use the eggs has too much versatility to be just one special move. So far:
-they can shoot eggs while walking (Breegull Blaster)
-they can shoot eggs forward while ducking
-they can shoot eggs backwards while ducking
-somehow, Grenade Eggs are here too.

My prediction:
-Neutral B is Breegull Blaster, you can walk and jump while shooting
-Down B is the egg throw from Banjo-Kazooie. If you shoot forward it's a normal egg, if you shoot backwards it's a grenade egg

Talon trot is a bit weird too, but I think it's just the run animation. Though they'd have to have a different jump animation while running?
Apart from that, they look pretty standard. And that's a great thing, I saw some ideas about a "moveset based on collecting things" and I hated them. Banjo and Kazooie are simple characters that have always been easy to use.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
One move that I've just been thinking about for the past few days is the grenade egg...

Does it....
A) explode on contact and :ultdiddy:just grabbed it out of mid-air with an air dodge?

B) Is it like :ultsnake:'s grenade but is released like :ultdiddy:'s banana peel? (meaning it'll sit on the ground after Kazooie poops it out)

C) Will it bounce like in Banjo-Tooie but we never got to see that part because :ultdiddy:interrupted it?

So far I'm leaning towards B

link2702

Smash Champion
I have a feeling the pack whack is gonna be his down smash, it'll look similar to the dsmash of inklings.

IDK what his neutral air could be.I almost feel it could be a different version of it, but IDK how it'd look.

of course maybe the dsmash and nair has already been shown and I just haven't noticed it yet despite watching the reveal multiple times now.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
I think the eggs take up two special moves.

Up B is obviously the shock spring, and the Wonderwing should be Side B. I imagine the golden feathers will just recharge with time.
We haven't seen any other obvious special move apart from the eggs, though. And the way we've seen them use the eggs has too much versatility to be just one special move. So far:
-they can shoot eggs while walking (Breegull Blaster)
-they can shoot eggs forward while ducking
-they can shoot eggs backwards while ducking
-somehow, Grenade Eggs are here too.

My prediction:
-Neutral B is Breegull Blaster, you can walk and jump while shooting
-Down B is the egg throw from Banjo-Kazooie. If you shoot forward it's a normal egg, if you shoot backwards it's a grenade egg

Talon trot is a bit weird too, but I think it's just the run animation. Though they'd have to have a different jump animation while running?
Apart from that, they look pretty standard. And that's a great thing, I saw some ideas about a "moveset based on collecting things" and I hated them. Banjo and Kazooie are simple characters that have always been easy to use.
Nah, Breegull blaster and the regular egg shot are the same move. You go straight from regular egg shot to Breegull Blaster. There are transitional frames here.

Banjo Transition.PNG

It's gonna be like the K. Rool Neutral special.

ze9

Smash Ace
Nah, Breegull blaster and the regular egg shot are the same move. You go straight from regular egg shot to Breegull Blaster. There are transitional frames here.

It's gonna be like the K. Rool Neutral special.
Yeah, you're right.
Also, the egg shot and the breegull blaster are showcased at the same time, while the grenade egg is shown separately.

So the down B is just the grenade egg? Kinda weird to have a move that only hits backwards. Hope you can pick up the grenade quickly, kinda like Diddy's bananas.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Probably not as quickly because it looks like the grenade will have some power to it, but not too much power because in the clip it looks like DK already has some damage to him based off the steam coming from indicating rage

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I notice that Kazooie has her beak pointed up during the Shock Spring Jump, unlike the original games. I wonder if there will be a hitbox involved during the rising portion of the move. If nothing else, the midair jump at the peak of the leap indicates that you'll be able to attack afterwards, like Sonic's and Mega Man's own spring-loaded Up Specials. I'm looking forward to learning more about the properties of moves like the Wonderwing and Grenade Egg, as well as the power of the egg shots and if Kazooie does indeed lack a hurtbox and act like a "sword."

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Their recovery has me a bit worried honestly. I'm not sure if there's anything protecting them during the animation (whether it be a hitbox or windbox). And it doesn't look like it goes very high. But they can jump afterward. Hoping they take a page from bayo and can up B, jump, up B again.

They don't look like they go into freefall either meaning they can at least bust out some aerials to protect themselves. If side B (wonderwing) is able to cover a considerable amout of horizontal distance, then that would help out a lot since it looks it has super armor for days.

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Here's a thing. We never see the end of that double jump animation. Is it possible BK has a Yoshi-style double jump that reaches farther than what their ground jump does? Except horizontally instead of vertically of course. I feel that Kazooie will continue flapping her wings to stall their fall speed and allow them to soar across to make up for their speculated lack of horizontal recovery.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Here's a thing. We never see the end of that double jump animation. Is it possible BK has a Yoshi-style double jump that reaches farther than what their ground jump does? Except horizontally instead of vertically of course. I feel that Kazooie will continue flapping her wings to stall their fall speed and allow them to soar across to make up for their speculated lack of horizontal recovery.
That is a possibility. Yoshi, Mewtwo, Peach, and the like prove that unique midair jump mechanics are not out of the question. It is noteworthy that Kazooie continues to flap her wings, and a stalled fall with extended distance would match the abilities of the Feathery Flap in the original games. I wouldn't go as far as to say I expect a glide or float ability, but it can't be ruled out.

I've also heard some speculation that Shock Spring Jump might be able to be charged for extended height. Once again, we haven't seen anything to deconfirm that but it's pure conjecture right now. It could still have a hitbox, too, if Kazooie's upturned beak can peck people during the rising portion of the move.

Also, someone pointed out that the Breegull Bash Forward Smash hit Luigi out of a Green Missile without trading or clanking. That confirms, as many suspected, that at least some Kazooie-based attacks will be disjointed moves without a hurtbox. I would expect that to be standardized and consistent, too, rather than having her be untouchable sometimes and vulnerable during other situations.

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
That is a possibility. Yoshi, Mewtwo, Peach, and the like prove that unique midair jump mechanics are not out of the question. It is noteworthy that Kazooie continues to flap her wings, and a stalled fall with extended distance would match the abilities of the Feathery Flap in the original games. I wouldn't go as far as to say I expect a glide or float ability, but it can't be ruled out.

I've also heard some speculation that Shock Spring Jump might be able to be charged for extended height. Once again, we haven't seen anything to deconfirm that but it's pure conjecture right now. It could still have a hitbox, too, if Kazooie's upturned beak can peck people during the rising portion of the move.

Also, someone pointed out that the Breegull Bash Forward Smash hit Luigi out of a Green Missile without trading or clanking. That confirms, as many suspected, that at least some Kazooie-based attacks will be disjointed moves without a hurtbox. I would expect that to be standardized and consistent, too, rather than having her be untouchable sometimes and vulnerable during other situations.
Well keep in mind he IS dlc. And dlc characters, by their very nature, always get better treatment. They have to make the character as good and as attractive as possible to net the most amount of sales. Nobody wants to buy a character everybody says is trash. Just look at Cloud and Bayo in Smash 4.

Also, look at Banjo's miscellaneous animations. They put a lot of love into this character to make him as expressive and amiable as they could. Probably moreso than if he were base game or had appeared in a previous instalment.

I think it's fair to say he will be pretty good across the board. Most definitely viable in the competitive scene. His recovery is probably a lot better than what meets the eye with this trailer. I don't think we have to worry much about how good Banjo & Kazooie will be.

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Something I'd like to bring up I never hear people talking about... I don't want Banjo to have a flashy gimmicky unique-HUD-display mechanic.

I mean, it's fine if he does. Of course. I'm just stoked to have him in the game. But the way I see it B&K should be simple. With simple intuitive moves that are easy to learn. Because that's how the BK games are. They were for children. And his playstyle in Smash should reflect that simplicity.

Also, being a highly requested character since the very first Smash game, I would very much prefer he play as if he actually WAS in that first game and hadn't changed since. Each Smash game seems to bring a new wave of design philosophy and new characters with special fighter mechanics. I don't want Banjo to be dated by Joker/Hero/Inkling special gimmick decisions. He should play as simple as the original 12.

However, that Wonderwing side special, to me, looks like a resource management playstyle so... I'll learn to be ok with it. It is Banjo afterall

mobilisq

Smash Ace
Yeah, you're right.
Also, the egg shot and the breegull blaster are showcased at the same time, while the grenade egg is shown separately.

So the down B is just the grenade egg? Kinda weird to have a move that only hits backwards. Hope you can pick up the grenade quickly, kinda like Diddy's bananas.
I'll wager it can easily be b reversed. or perhaps you can hold it to pop out two or maybe three, and change directions between each

Eagle

Smash Lord
So we know up B is the spring pad, but I'm gonna go ahead and say that up b in the air is flight pad minus the actual pad. That is to say, the effect that happens where you shoot upwards. Or maybe he spawns the spring pad in the air and launches off it and the pad can be a projectile, who knows?

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Yeah, also he will probably get multiple double jumps that give him a little bit more unpublished than most other Smash characters.

Also I bet his side B in the air will be one of his best anti-edgeguarding moves

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Really hoping he gets the egg swap mechanic and that’s the reason his fighter page isn’t ready is because it isn’t finished, access to all the various eggs would be awesome.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm so happy that they went with Breegull Bash as the Forward Smash, It was so obvious to go with that move for that certain input and it's hilarious and looks powerful too.

Anytime anyone created a potential moveset for Banjo-Kazooie it drove me nuts when someone else would pick a different move other than Breegull Bash for the forward smash, I would think "Why go with anything else?"

Anyways I hope Down Smash is Banjo's Pack Whack Spin attack as it also seems the most obvious and fitting for that certain input, But if I had to go with a 2nd choice it would be Kazooie's Wing Whack Spin though either of these 2 can work for a Down Smash or a Neutral Air.

Beak Buster has gotta be Down Air and I would love it if they gave us Bill Drill too.

Beak Buster- Tap Down A (Regular Spike attack)

Bill Drill- Hold Down A (Takes a second to wind up, But it's stronger and is a multi-hit attack.)

Last edited:

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I'm really wondering what they'll do for up-tilt, up-air and up-smash. Traditionally BK haven't really had any moves where they attack above themselves. They might take inspiration from the Feathery Flap/crouch+jump for animations, though. If it's an up-air it might be a kind of flip-kick facilitated by Kazooie's wings, as an Up-Smash it might be a multi-hit move where Kazooie's wings are a lingering hitbox. Something like the Pack Whack being swung overhead rather than side to side is an option too, or a K. Rool style leap-upwards with long lag time (based on the Flight Pad launch).

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Guh-Huh! Hi all,

I have started a google sheet for us to keep track of/speculate about Banjo-Kazooie's moveset.

Here is the moveset list

I have done my best at filling in the blanks that aren't confirmed by the trailer. I tried my best to fill everything out with official named moves from the games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. Let me know here or comment on the sheet if anything seems amiss.

Sooooooo happy these two are back from the dead and on a Nintendo console where they belong!
This is great! Been looking for something like this to help keep track of what has been announced, and what could be possible. I still don't know the terminology (e.g., up tilt, smash attack), but I've watched a lot of analysis videos to try to catch up.

A couple thoughts on what I'd like to see:
- With golden feathers included, it would be nice to see red feathers included somehow--especially since it looks like the golden feather icons are with the character rather than by their icon (though, it could be both, as some meters are). Their recovery isn't as great as you'd think for a flying character, so perhaps extra "jumps" to gain more height could require red feathers, limited by the number of feathers like gold feathers. They could maybe also include beak bomb when in the air, which could maybe be angled? Would use up a red feather, like in the games. And also it would be an interesting mechanic if when you lose a feather it lands on the stage (as it looked like it showed with the golden feather at first, though it's too short to really tell), and in order to fill it up you have to collect them again. Brings their collect-a-thon mechanics into their gameplay which is nice, though probably would make filling the meter back up too fast/easy.
- A lot of people seem to go with the Nuts & Bolts grabbing mechanics for their grab and throw--personally, I'd rather stick to BK and BT for their movesets, and it would be interesting if they could include a variant on Taxi Pack, with a quicker animation where Banjo stuffs someone in his backpack, swings it and throws them out of it.
- Would be nice to see some more egg variants, maybe even be able to cycle through them somehow (if the feathers aren't by their icon, than the eggs can be). Fire Eggs to burn, Ice Eggs temporarily freeze an opponent, Clockwork Kazooie Eggs act like Bowser Jr.'s Mechakoopas. I don't expect them, though, just would be nice to include.

I don't know enough about Smash movesets as well as being able to compare to other characters to have a more informed look at their possible movesets, but those are some thoughts I've had since the reveal. I already love the way they incorporated their moves, so I expect the remaining ones to be just as good, if not surpass my expectations.

Last edited:

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
I just had a thought. What if the feathery flap is the forward double jump but flip flap is when you jump backwards?

This would extend his vertical recovery and require you to face the opponent when going deep off stage. Because of this I think the Fair will be just like his Bair but slower and more powerful, which would make sense since his Bair doesn't seem to be much of a kill move.

DefaultName

Smash Rookie
Unpopular opinions, but I think they could use beak buster for down smash. Similar to how incineroar and krool jump up and slam the ground for their down smash. Then I could see bill drill for dair and down throw like bowser jr's drill.

Also for nair they could use the forward roll from from BT where Kazooie covers Banjo with her wings and they roll forward. For DA just the roll with Banjo from BK.

I like the idea of pack whack being fair and the animation being a mix of what it was in BT and GR and having a hitbox like marios fair. (please give them a move with a meteor effect that doesn't plummet them to their death off stage). Rat a tap rap for fair made so much sense until they showed it for bair. I know they could have it for both fair and bair but they have so many moves from the games to incorporate and it's rare that someone uses the same move for both (looking at you villager).

I think peck would be up tilt, kinda just makes sense to me. Wing whack could actually be up smash, not the spinning one in the air, but the standing wing swiping one. Maybe a similar motion to charizard's upsmash with 3 swipes and a hitbox like duck hunt's up smash.

Moves that I haven't seen people mention are B&K's beak bomb or talon torpedo. Which maybe could make a cool up air. I feel like those would be cool moves to include. But also probably difficult. I'm trying to think of moves that are in the games that can match/be similar to moves that exists because I think that's what is most likely to happen.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I feel like Banjo is going to be an overall balanced character with lots of good moves, but nothing great

DefaultName

Smash Rookie
Ok, by the looks of it his moves are all pretty laggy
Again, the video also claims that everything is an estimation because of the fps of the video along with a lot of other factors like not knowing whether moves are buffered. Other than his side b and up b, nothing shown particularly shines or is anything above decent. But there are 2 smashes, 1 tilt, and 4 aerials we don't know about yet.

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
Again, the video also claims that everything is an estimation because of the fps of the video along with a lot of other factors like not knowing whether moves are buffered. Other than his side b and up b, nothing shown particularly shines or is anything above decent. But there are 2 smashes, 1 tilt, and 4 aerials we don't know about yet.
Yeah, guess that true, still, unless uptilt is REALLY good or his air game is one of the best there is, he's gonna be on the slower side of things.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
just an idea what if Wonderwing is a neutral special attack while egg firing is a side special that becomes breegull blaster instead if you're moving while pressing the special button?

Penguinbowler

Smash Apprentice
just an idea what if Wonderwing is a neutral special attack while egg firing is a side special that becomes breegull blaster instead if you're moving while pressing the special button?
While not impossible, i think that would be unlikely as most movement focused moves are side b. The only moves that are Neutral B and movement based tend to be chargable, like Straight Lunge and Rollout. There are more movement based down specials then Neutral ones.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
I don't think Banjo & Kazooie should be too gimmicky, but I think it'd be neat to represent the collect-a-thon nature of their games by having them beat items (eggs and golden feathers) out of opponents à la Coin Battle. That turned out to be pretty fun for Shovel Knight in Rivals of Aether, so it could potentially work out for Smash?

Doubt it's gonna happen though, and I understand why some folk would be opposed to that, but a man can dream.

Top Bottom