• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo Moveset Speculation

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I've watched the trailer over and over. Trying to figure out what all they showed. I know they showed all his specials, and a few of his normals. Definitely looks like we saw his down tilt, back air, fsmash, jab combo, dash attack, forward tilt

My question is...Does Banjo have a Limit mechanic? What's this?

1560275547110.png

I think we clearly saw his up B, and several other B moves that I can't quite place. I dunno if what's in the picture would be a regular B move or a powered up version of some kind. I'm guessing the eggs might be his neutral B and the egg grenade is down B or something.

I'm not very familiar with the series (sorry), so I don't know what's going on in the picture. Could just be a side B.

But I've always liked Banjo's character design. I want to wreck people with a goofy bear who borderline abuses a bird to beat things up.

mobilisq

Smash Ace
to me that looks like side b with limited uses that need to recharge over time

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've watched the trailer over and over. Trying to figure out what all they showed. I know they showed all his specials, and a few of his normals. Definitely looks like we saw his down tilt, back air, fsmash, jab combo, dash attack, forward tilt

My question is...Does Banjo have a Limit mechanic? What's this?

View attachment 227363

I think we clearly saw his up B, and several other B moves that I can't quite place. I dunno if what's in the picture would be a regular B move or a powered up version of some kind. I'm guessing the eggs might be his neutral B and the egg grenade is down B or something.

I'm not very familiar with the series (sorry), so I don't know what's going on in the picture. Could just be a side B.

But I've always liked Banjo's character design. I want to wreck people with a goofy bear who borderline abuses a bird to beat things up.
That's the Wonderwing, a move from the games that made Banjo and Kazooie completely invulnerable. It used those golden feathers as a resource, and you could only hold a few at a time. Very limited use.

My personal belief at this point in time is that Wonderwing is a side special that serves as a completely invulnerable charge of sorts, but is somehow powered by the feathers. (It could be on use, on hit, over time, some combination... After rewatching the video I think it's definitely a feather per use.) If you're out of feathers, you can't use it. Or maybe you simply charge without the invulnerability, that could work too.

Shock Spring Jump is definitely the up special, and egg shooting is probably the neutral special. (Imagine Kirby using a fake Kazooie for his copy.) Although IDK how you'd pick between staying still or moving with it -- press vs. hold, maybe? The grenade egg lay is likely the down special IMO. Breegull Bash (the move where Banjo smashes Kazooie on the ground) looked like a forward smash. Talon Trot is probably just their run animation. I also saw Beak Barge as a dtilt and Rat-a-Tat Rap as a bair.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
However everything actually works, I'm absolutely floored at how perfect it looks. Breegull Bash for an fsmash, grenade eggs, blue eggs, grip grab noise when you grab the ledge, Beak Barge (dtilt or d-smash I reckon).

Wonderwing and Shock Spring/Flip Flap implemented perfectly, and they seem to obviously to forward and up b. I do wonder how you switch between normal egg firing and Breegull Blaster though.

I bet they have Beak Buster as a dair.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
However everything actually works, I'm absolutely floored at how perfect it looks. Breegull Bash for an fsmash, grenade eggs, blue eggs, grip grab noise when you grab the ledge, Beak Barge (dtilt or d-smash I reckon).

Wonderwing and Shock Spring/Flip Flap implemented perfectly, and they seem to obviously to forward and up b. I do wonder how you switch between normal egg firing and Breegull Blaster though.

I bet they have Beak Buster as a dair.
Beak Buster for dair and Bill Drill for dthrow yes please.

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
D6DCA5FE-D4AE-4CC1-93F6-CAB72C56A0FA.jpeg
Don’t see anyone pointing it out but in the scene with spirial mountain banjo uses the beak bayonet move, guessing as a side tilt?

My guesses for other moves: Kazooie’s wrench for back/up throw. The bill drill as a down throw. The forward roll as a dash attack and the beak buster for a dair.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Are we able to speculate anything on their run speed from the footage shown? Also it seems their initial dash is just banjo running

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Are we able to speculate anything on their run speed from the footage shown? Also it seems their initial dash is just banjo running
I noticed that, too, at the end with Ivysaur.

I wonder if it's a dash attack, but Kazooie stays out if you keep running. Though I guess it's more-likely that Kazooie comes out after some steps.

Last edited:

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
I noticed that, too, at the end with Ivysaur.

I wonder if it's a dash attack, but Kazooie stays out if you keep running. Though I guess it's more-likely that Kazooie comes out after some steps.
Yeah, it seems that Talon Trot is the run animation but that Banjo is the initial dash. Kind of similar to how Inkling's run animation has them hidden in ink for the first portion even though they splash and leap once it progresses.

GhostM

Phantom
Ahem, may or may not of analyzed the reveal trailer and this is what I came up with for his move set. Obviously not everything is going to be pin point accurate, but this is what I saw from the trailer. If the .gifs don't work then that's a complete bummer on my side. If they're broken I guess you'll have to watch the trailer to know exactly what I'm talking about.

Jab: Normal 3 hits, but could possibly be the gentleman version of Falcon's jab, where you could cancel out the multi-hit jabs. Maybe he doesn't have the multi-hit jabs like falcon where it could rack up a lot of damage.

Dash Attack?: Looks almost like the same movement as Marth's D-tilt. Looks like it has range; could possibly be his d-tilt, not entirely sure. Maybe it could be his down smash but it wouldn't make sense for his down smash to only hit one side.

Bair: Looks like a normal straight up back air.

F-Smash: It definitely looks like an F-Smash in my opinion, as it shows Ness's F-Smash next to Banjo smashing Kazooie on the ground.

Recovery/Up-B: Uses Shock Spring. Ability to jump right after, but won’t count towards your jump. After that, jumps will begin to count *Changed for clarification purposes, thanks P Paperchampion23

Side B: Looks to have limited use as you can see one golden feather being discarded out of 5 feathers. All I know is that it has complete superarmor through attacks, as shown by the Side B completely going through Bowser Jr's attack and Unira.

Neutral Special: Shoots an egg as a projectile. Most projectiles from characters are from neutral special, so it makes sense. Not entirely sure how he could move around with Kazooie at the same time while shooting projectiles, it could be just another button press or something.

Down Special: Grenade egg. Looks to be definitely be Down Special.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
Ahem, may or may not of analyzed the reveal trailer and this is what I came up with for his move set. Obviously not everything is going to be pin point accurate, but this is what I saw from the trailer. If the .gifs don't work then that's a complete bummer on my side. If they're broken I guess you'll have to watch the trailer to know exactly what I'm talking about.

Jab: Normal 3 hits, but could possibly be the gentleman version of Falcon's jab, where you could cancel out the multi-hit jabs. Maybe he doesn't have the multi-hit jabs like falcon where it could rack up a lot of damage.

Dash Attack?: Looks almost like the same movement as Marth's D-tilt. Looks like it has range; could possibly be his d-tilt, not entirely sure. Maybe it could be his down smash but it wouldn't make sense for his down smash to only hit one side.

F-Smash: It definitely looks like an F-Smash in my opinion, as it shows Ness's F-Smash next to Banjo smashing Kazooie on the ground.

Recovery/Up-B: Uses Shock Spring/Flip Flap

Side B: Looks to have limited use as you can see one golden feather being discarded out of 5 feathers. All I know is that it has complete superarmor through attacks, as shown by the Side B completely going through Bowser Jr's attack and Unira.

Neutral Special: Shoots an egg as a projectile. Most projectiles from characters are from neutral special, so it makes sense. Not entirely sure how he could move around with Kazooie at the same time while shooting projectiles, it could be just another button press or something.

You got it down i think. i think the only clarification i have is his up b. Its definitely the spring, but you can jump after. The second hop is the double jump. He uses it in other parts of the video.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From the looks of things

Recovery/Up-B: Uses Shock Spring/Flip Flap

In Playstation All-Stars, Nathan Drake has a run-and-gun move that fires three-round bursts with a reload pause between each as long as you hold triangle, and inputting either direction while holding makes him fire constantly while moving to or away from his target. Egg-shooting probably works the same way.

Banjo looks like a bruiser that uses zoning and trapping tricks to open up his opponent(s) to hard hits. Kazooie may give him good disjointed reach on a number of moves but they seem to have very noticeable windup or lag, and their mobility outside of their dash doesn't look stellar. Probably fairly heavy.

GhostM

Phantom
You got it down i think. i think the only clarification i have is his up b. Its definitely the spring, but you can jump after. The second hop is the double jump. He uses it in other parts of the video.
Ah I see, thanks for correcting me on that. Edited it to include the clarification, thanks!

Folt

Smash Ace
I have a feeling that Breegull Blaster will be activated by holding down the B button (the eggs will be fired automatically), while the standard egg firing will be done with multiple button presses.

Naturally, Breegull Blaster will end when you no longer hold down the button.

supersaiyanmikito

Smash Cadet
The thing I love is how every move shown in the trailer is an actual move in their game. Obviously their dash is the Talon Trot and if you listen closely the trailer, Kazooie does in fact make that "hip hup" sound you hear constantly. Jab is the BK1 combo, DTilt is Beak Barge, DTilt is Beak Bayonet, FSmash is Breegull Bash and BAir is a reverse version of Rat-a-tat Rap.

If I were to guess the other moves based on how accurate they are trying to keep them, here is what I think. FAir is probably the actual Rat-a-tat Rap and not a reverse version while their grab pummel is probably the grounded version from Tooie. DAir could be the Beak Buster, a stop and drop move that bounces off the enemies kind of like Greninja. NAir I could see possibly being solo Banjo's Pack Wack since spin moves are commonly NAirs. It could also be solo Kazooie's Wing Wack but I honestly think that Wing Wack would work as a DSmash. They changed Beak Barge to be low the ground for the DTilt so the same could be done for Wing Wack. Throws are pretty generic across most characters though the Down-Throw could make sense to have as the Bill Drill since many Down-Throws are rapid hits.

Some people seem to think Banjo might have a resource management system where you have to pick up items off the ground but I think that might be overthinking things a bit. The Eggs are not much different then other character's moves, the Egg Shot/Breegull Blaster is similar to Megaman's pellets and the Grenade is like Snake's grenade. If those characters don't have ammo, I don't know why Banjo would. The only move with a resource is the Wonderwing and I see it working a few ways. It either uses a Gold Feather with every use or it uses Feathers over time like in Banjo Kazooie. If it uses them over time, you might be able to turn around like with Wario and Jr.'s side special. After that it either doesn't regen at all until death or the feathers regen slowly over time. The move is likely very strong and has either total super armor or invincibility but without any feathers the move is either useless or just an average charge move.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master

Recovery/Up-B: Uses Shock Spring. Ability to jump right after, but won’t count towards your jump. After that, jumps will begin to count *Changed for clarification purposes, thanks P Paperchampion23

I'm inclined to believe the Beak Barge, what you have as dash attack, is actually a dtilt.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I could see Banjo having his own version of a flurry jab followed by a finisher for his neutral attack, much like several other characters (Fox, Falcon).

I imagine it'd look something like Duck Hunt's, where Kazooie repeatedly pecks at the opponent.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Really curious about how their Up B works in the air.

Will the Shock Pad drop down like Sonic's Spring? Or will it maybe become the Flight Pad?

ancara22

Smash Apprentice
As someone who has been a massive Banjo-Kazooie fan since the day I first got the original as a kid, I can also talk for a moment about the egg stuff, since I think people need a refresher on Tooie with the eggs.

Basically in Tooie, Kazooie had several types of eggs that she could shoot out, each with their own effects. Not only were there the normal blue eggs, but there are also fire eggs, ice eggs and grenade eggs. And of course, the Clockwork Kazooie eggs. While everyone thinks the grenade eggs are down-B, my money is on neutral-B having several different imputs to determine how you shoot eggs out. Where tapping it is normal shooting standing still, holding B is breegull blaster mode, and B tapped before pressing down quickly leads to the rear egg shooting with see. Meanwhile, down-B can cycle between egg types, to decide which eggs Kazooie will use for neutral-B. Likely Clockwork Kazooie eggs will not show up, but I can see it to where you can swap between blue, fire, ice and grenade eggs with each down-B tap, so you can choose which one to use at any time.

But that is my speculation on what could be going on here, so yeah.

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
The slide with Kazooie is his dtilt I think.

Some people from other places thing the Breegull blaster is the neutral B, and that the standard egg shot and grenade special are both down b specials that depend on where you tilt it. That isn't true, the standard egg shot and breegull blaster are both the same b move. Probably works like K. Rool's neutral special where it change after you hold it.

1560356398438.png

You can see that transition frame above. Definitely part of the same attack. It's usefulness will depend entirely on how much control you have while shooting. Can you jump with the bregull blaster? Can you move back and forth? That's important.

The fact that Kazooie is his run animation is confusing me a bit in terms of how certain things are gonna work. Is the dash attack going to be Kazooie doing a kick? It would be insane to me if the DA was anything other than the roll. How will jumping work? Will he have different aerials if he jumps out of a dash, or does he quickly dismount kazooie and jump from there? I wanna see more!

Koopaul

Smash Champion
In Smash Ulitmate you can tilt attack out of a dash. That seems like it would be really hard to animate if Banjo's dash is the Talon Trot. I'm not entirely convinced that it is. Especially at the end of the trailer when Banjo grabs the pancakes from Ivysaur. He does what looks like a normal dash.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
The slide with Kazooie is his dtilt I think.

Some people from other places thing the Breegull blaster is the neutral B, and that the standard egg shot and grenade special are both down b specials that depend on where you tilt it. That isn't true, the standard egg shot and breegull blaster are both the same b move. Probably works like K. Rool's neutral special where it change after you hold it.

You can see that transition frame above. Definitely part of the same attack. It's usefulness will depend entirely on how much control you have while shooting. Can you jump with the bregull blaster? Can you move back and forth? That's important.

The fact that Kazooie is his run animation is confusing me a bit in terms of how certain things are gonna work. Is the dash attack going to be Kazooie doing a kick? It would be insane to me if the DA was anything other than the roll. How will jumping work? Will he have different aerials if he jumps out of a dash, or does he quickly dismount kazooie and jump from there? I wanna see more!
Its literally like inklings squid form, no separate moveset, same one

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
In Smash Ulitmate you can tilt attack out of a dash. That seems like it would be really hard to animate if Banjo's dash is the Talon Trot. I'm not entirely convinced that it is. Especially at the end of the trailer when Banjo grabs the pancakes from Ivysaur. He does what looks like a normal dash.
Nope. Watch his dash frame by frame. He definitely goes into the talon trot.

Talon Trot.PNG

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well shoot. I wonder how Banjo is going to pull out Kazooie and do a Beak Bayonet from the Talon Trot. I guess it can be done. I'd like to see it because I can't imagine how it would work.

link2702

Smash Champion
That's the Wonderwing, a move from the games that made Banjo and Kazooie completely invulnerable. It used those golden feathers as a resource, and you could only hold a few at a time. Very limited use.

My personal belief at this point in time is that Wonderwing is a side special that serves as a completely invulnerable charge of sorts, but is somehow powered by the feathers. (It could be on use, on hit, over time, some combination... After rewatching the video I think it's definitely a feather per use.) If you're out of feathers, you can't use it. Or maybe you simply charge without the invulnerability, that could work too.

Shock Spring Jump is definitely the up special, and egg shooting is probably the neutral special. (Imagine Kirby using a fake Kazooie for his copy.) Although IDK how you'd pick between staying still or moving with it -- press vs. hold, maybe? The grenade egg lay is likely the down special IMO. Breegull Bash (the move where Banjo smashes Kazooie on the ground) looked like a forward smash. Talon Trot is probably just their run animation. I also saw Beak Barge as a dtilt and Rat-a-Tat Rap as a bair.
I think kirby will get the mechanical kazooie bomb as his “kazooie” for the egg shots. Just...obviously it doesn’t explode and stays in kirby’s backpack until he calls it to spit eggs.

That or they’ll probably just go the easy route. Kirby has a kazooie beak, banjo backpack, and spits the eggs himself.

EDIT: there’s plenty of moves that look “unnatural” done out of dash. I wouldn’t worry too much, it usually happens so quickly it’s not that noticeable unless you view it frame by frame in training.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
As someone who has been a massive Banjo-Kazooie fan since the day I first got the original as a kid, I can also talk for a moment about the egg stuff, since I think people need a refresher on Tooie with the eggs.

Basically in Tooie, Kazooie had several types of eggs that she could shoot out, each with their own effects. Not only were there the normal blue eggs, but there are also fire eggs, ice eggs and grenade eggs. And of course, the Clockwork Kazooie eggs. While everyone thinks the grenade eggs are down-B, my money is on neutral-B having several different imputs to determine how you shoot eggs out. Where tapping it is normal shooting standing still, holding B is breegull blaster mode, and B tapped before pressing down quickly leads to the rear egg shooting with see. Meanwhile, down-B can cycle between egg types, to decide which eggs Kazooie will use for neutral-B. Likely Clockwork Kazooie eggs will not show up, but I can see it to where you can swap between blue, fire, ice and grenade eggs with each down-B tap, so you can choose which one to use at any time.

But that is my speculation on what could be going on here, so yeah.
Kind of an awesome idea, but how would that work with the machine gun Kazooie?

Eagle

Smash Lord
The rat-a-tat rap is most like their unseen forward air, possibly the neutral air otherwise. The real question is whether or not they can suspend themselves longer in the air during the move just like in the game. If they do allow it, it'll be fantastic for poking. But the air suspension effect would probably reset on landing, I'm guessing.

StormC

Smash Hero
Talon Trot being Banjo's dash is something I always wanted but assumed was unfeasible from an animation standpoint. Absolutely astounding the work and detail Sakurai and the Smash team put into this character; it's near unparalleled and really shows how they were a perfect fit for a fighter in this series.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I wonder how the gold feathers work? I’d wager that the move is so good you can only use it a certain times per stock. The other possibility isvas you rack or take damage, you get more golden feathers.

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Guh-Huh! Hi all,

I have started a google sheet for us to keep track of/speculate about Banjo-Kazooie's moveset.

Here is the moveset list

I have done my best at filling in the blanks that aren't confirmed by the trailer. I tried my best to fill everything out with official named moves from the games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. Let me know here or comment on the sheet if anything seems amiss.

Sooooooo happy these two are back from the dead and on a Nintendo console where they belong!

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
I'll throw out guesses for what I think, outside of the ones we've already seen. A lot of you I think have the right idea.

Forward air: Rat-a-Tat Rap
Up air: Original, Kazooie pecking upwards or shooting a single egg up
Down air: Beak Buster
Neutral air: Pack Whack
Up smash: Original, Kazooie shooting straight up out of the backpack, kind of like Plant up smash
Down smash: Wing Whack
Pummel: Kazooie pecks
Up/side/back throws: Original, don't think there's anything from the games here
Down throw: Bill Drill
Up tilt: Original, I imagine Banjo kicking up for some reason, kind of like Wolf's up tilt
Getup attack: Standard claw swipe
Third taunt: Banjo pulls out a Game Boy and plays it for a second
Victory animations: One will be the B-K Jiggy dance, other two will be original
Boxing title: The Rare Reunion

Eagle

Smash Lord
Guh-Huh! Hi all,

I have started a google sheet for us to keep track of/speculate about Banjo-Kazooie's moveset.

Here is the moveset list

I have done my best at filling in the blanks that aren't confirmed by the trailer. I tried my best to fill everything out with official named moves from the games Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. Let me know here or comment on the sheet if anything seems amiss.

Sooooooo happy these two are back from the dead and on a Nintendo console where they belong!
Forward Air will almost certainly be this:

1560463689693.png

Last edited:

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
Forward Air will almost certainly be this:

View attachment 227911
I thought about that, but they already showed a move very similar to this as their bair. So my thought was they would do more to differentiate the fair and bair. However, It would not surprise me much if the rat-a-tat rap was the fair as well.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm pretty cool with Talon Trot being the full run animation. Fighting games are often designed with big ol animation snapping going on all the time. Hitreactions are a big culprit there, haha.

Rat-a-Tat Rap being like Bayo's fair would be super dope, but it's more likely that all 3 hits will happen with a single button press.

Eagle

Smash Lord
I thought about that, but they already showed a move very similar to this as their bair. So my thought was they would do more to differentiate the fair and bair. However, It would not surprise me much if the rat-a-tat rap was the fair as well.
It's too iconic not to include, plus considering how faithful they've been I highly doubt they'd omit it. It's not unprecedented anyways, take a look at fair/bair for Villager.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Here's a question for the crowd: do you think attacks using Kazooie, like the Breegull Bash and (reverse) Rat-a-tat Rap, will be sword-like disjoints or will the bird have a hitbox?

Top Bottom