• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
View attachment 334881 Listen here disney boy ! stop calling me goofy !
I posted this elsewhere, but I still can't believe Banjo & Kazooie and Sora are in the same game. And with Cloud and Sephiroth. And Joker. And Snake. And Minecraft. And Mega Man and Pac-Man and Mario and everyone. Like, how is this possible?!?!?!

Lenidem

Smash Lord
The recent PushDustin translation of Sakurai's latest Famitsu column mentions something interesting:

The fact that he mentions B&K specifically makes me wonder if they were among the top 5 requests or something... Maybe even #2?!
Interesting. It's good to know the ballot might have revealed to the ones in charge that some characters are way more popular than they thought. Maybe that's the reason why Banjo-Kazooie is available on the virtual N64 thing?

Planet-Neptune

Smash Rookie
The recent PushDustin translation of Sakurai's latest Famitsu column mentions something interesting:

The fact that he mentions B&K specifically makes me wonder if they were among the top 5 requests or something... Maybe even #2?!
I'd be shocked if Banjo wasn't at least in the top 5 in both the US and Europe. He was one of the most intensely popular characters outside of Japan.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

StormC

Smash Hero
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who supported Banjo even when he seemed impossible. Banjo-Kazooie was really the last white whale of Smash speculation for me; I was too wrapped up in K. Rool at the time to even humor Banjo. The fact that both got in tickles me something pink as an old school Rare fan. Those two will forever be my favorite Smash reveals, and I hope to see them back in the next Smash. The fans' support brought that magical moment, that last sense of closure in the Smash hype cycles. So thank you, again.

Until next time. Looking forward to bird and bear's return to Nintendo through NSO.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Interesting. It's good to know the ballot might have revealed to the ones in charge that some characters are way more popular than they thought. Maybe that's the reason why Banjo-Kazooie is available on the virtual N64 thing?
We know from the Wii U shop mistake that Banjo & Kazooie were probably planned for the Wii U, but then plans changed to the Switch. Not sure when that would have been initially planned, but Minecraft on Wii U was the same year the ballot completed, and N64 on Wii U released the same day the Fighter's Ballot started. It's strange how much was probably planned for 2015-16, and we wouldn't see Banjo & Kazooie until 3 years later, and Banjo-Kazooie on Switch until 5 years later. Better late than never (same for a Banjo-Redooie/Threeie).

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
As odd as it is to say, the kazoo part for Spiral Mountain 30 seconds in I didn't enjoy but the rest of it was great.
Will give the rest of the playlist a listen during the day slowly but if the first one is anything to go off of, I'll very likely enjoy all of the music.

The playlist is on spotify too, very nice.

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
According to Sakurai's latest and last column.

Banjo & Kazooie scored number two on the ballot just behind Sora.
According to the translation, they "followed" Sora. Which I assume means they were #2, but I'm wondering if they were just the next realizable character? Hard to say. I wouldn't be surprised honestly if they were actually in 2nd place.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
According to Sakurai's latest and last column.

Banjo & Kazooie scored number two on the ballot just behind Sora.
Impossible! Doesn't everyone know how irrelevant and forgotten Banjo and Kazzoie are!? They would never be requested for Smash or celebrated if they ever got in!

God, the amount of crow these detractors have to be eating after their crusade of being against Banjo and Kazooie must be glorious. First when they were added, then when they were seen as the big sellers/highlight of the pass, and now with them being second place on the ballot.

Meaning.....if they were realizable sooner, we could have had them in Smash 4 DLC instead.

Impossible! Doesn't everyone know how irrelevant and forgotten Banjo and Kazzoie are!? They would never be requested for Smash or celebrated if they ever got in!

God, the amount of crow these detractors have to be eating after their crusade of being against Banjo and Kazooie must be glorious. First when they were added, then when they were seen as the big sellers/highlight of the pass, and now with them being second place on the ballot.

Meaning.....if they were realizable sooner, we could have had them in Smash 4 DLC instead.
It's a nice little cherry on top of the cake, not going to lie!

No doubt, the Smash fandom has history with spouting irrational, embarrasing nonsense and making things up to push narratives as facts.

It was especially bad this time around, but I guess it makes the inclusion of some characters that little bit sweeter.

Truth be told I'm enjoying the game far too much to think about that, but there are some screenshots with a snippet of crow eating here:

To be fair you could find the same sort of thing for most newcomers if you really wanted to.

Riveting stuff!

Anyway, great to see BK on Switch online soon. Any expsoure which can build interest in a dormant franchise is great. Hopefully Tooie and other Rareware games get a chance to shine too. And those implied ballot results are a pleasant surprise. Didn't think bear and bird were that popular, but happy to eat crow there! So much for being forgotten!

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
True, they would be friends.
If you think about this most smash chars would be friends they are all heroic world saviours afterall! Or Goofy villains!
The outliers are Ganon, Sephiroth (Although weirdly enough if you go after original FE Logic he would have to be Pre Evil sephiroth)
Wario Ware Wario ( i think land wario might be bregudgingdly accepted) and thats probably it! (Eventho Kazuya is evil he generally treats everyone in the Iron Fist Tournament execpt Family Members Decently so yeah!)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

Banjo-Kazooie is coming to the N64 online line-up in January 2022.

Hopefully this leads to more Rare games coming to the Switch - Rare Replay seems like a long shot now, and I doubt we'll get Goldeneye or M-rated titles like Perfect Dark or Conker, but something like Jet Force Gemini or Blast Corps would be nice. (And Banjo-Tooie, of course - unlike Banjo-Kazooie, that could actually take advantage of the online multiplayer)

Last edited:

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
Was gonna say, not the first time they've changed ratings but that makes more sense.
Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, have no need to have B-K on switch as I have a usable N64 and both banjo games to my name still that I can crack out to play anytime. So I'm blessed from having to have the special 50 dollar plan.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
It's been a while since I've been here seeing how Super Smash Bros Ultimate Cycle has officially ended last fall, But with Banjo-Kazooie (N64) coming back to a Nintendo platform after almost 25 years it's definitely something to look forward to, Despite how it has been received lately, I am heavily considering signing up to NSO Expansion Pak this Thursday, While I think the service is overpriced, I already have a little over $25 of eshop credit that I won in a Smash tournament a while back that's just siting there and should cover most of the expansions cost.

And in other internet breaking news that could very well possibly play a major factor in Banjo-Kazooie's future.

Microsoft will soon officially own Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon along with the studios (Toys for Bob, Beenox and maybe Vicarious Visions) that were all responsible for successfully reviving these fellow 90's platforming mascots.

This could only mean good things for Banjo-Kazooie going forward as Microsoft will soon have several internal options with platforming experience for reviving the franchise.

Say hello to your new stepbrother Banjo-Kazooie and hopefully both Banjo-Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot join Smash 6.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Got NSO primarily for Banjo-Kazooie--while I'm not a fan of Nintendo's nickel-and-diming, I want to support more Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo. They're finally, truly, home. Got up to Freezeezy Peak last night. Surprisingly, I've found the controls much better than when I played it on Xcloud (after switching the A and B buttons). There must have still been a lot of imperceptible lag on Xcloud, because I was dying left and right--on Switch it's so smooth. And for someone who's not a stickler for graphics, it looks nearly identical to the Xbox remasters, outside of no widescreen. I'm glad I can now choose between playing the original and the remasters on modern hardware. And with the originals, they kept all of the Nintendo logos, and the original text I love.

As for the Activision/Blizzard buyout--this could be good news, or could be bad news for Banjo-Kazooie. As far as I know, many who worked on Crash at Toys for Bob left as it became a COD pump. Microsoft's focus would likely be the big sellers like COD. And now Microsoft has two 3D platforming mascots to play with outside of Banjo-Kazooie. They've had plenty of time in the past decade to use Banjo-Kazooie as their means of expanding their family friendly gaming line-up, but didn't. I'd love it if Toys for Bob were to make a Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie remake, but I feel like this doesn't change much other than making the meetings a lot easier.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Got NSO primarily for Banjo-Kazooie--while I'm not a fan of Nintendo's nickel-and-diming, I want to support more Banjo-Kazooie on Nintendo. They're finally, truly, home. Got up to Freezeezy Peak last night. Surprisingly, I've found the controls much better than when I played it on Xcloud (after switching the A and B buttons). There must have still been a lot of imperceptible lag on Xcloud, because I was dying left and right--on Switch it's so smooth. And for someone who's not a stickler for graphics, it looks nearly identical to the Xbox remasters, outside of no widescreen. I'm glad I can now choose between playing the original and the remasters on modern hardware. And with the originals, they kept all of the Nintendo logos, and the original text I love.

As for the Activision/Blizzard buyout--this could be good news, or could be bad news for Banjo-Kazooie. As far as I know, many who worked on Crash at Toys for Bob left as it became a COD pump. Microsoft's focus would likely be the big sellers like COD. And now Microsoft has two 3D platforming mascots to play with outside of Banjo-Kazooie. They've had plenty of time in the past decade to use Banjo-Kazooie as their means of expanding their family friendly gaming line-up, but didn't. I'd love it if Toys for Bob were to make a Banjo-Kazooie/Tooie remake, but I feel like this doesn't change much other than making the meetings a lot easier.
(Late reply, but) I kept failing the crocodile minigame when I was able to play B-K on my boyfriend's Xbox. I've been wondering if lag was the culprit, and thanks to your post, now I know it most likely was!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I’ve heard the rumblings, once I did I’ve been off the web. Might be psyching myself up for disappointment again, though I recognize that. We’ll see.

I’ve been getting more into Smash lately so I’ll probably be back on the forums tomorrow, we’ll see. A lot of things still annoy me, but I want to get more into Smash again.

Top Bottom