• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm not sure what the GamePass involves (I only have an Xbox 360 as far as Microsoft consoles go), but Ori and the Blind Forest on the Switch can unlock Xbox achievements, so I don't think achievements are the issue. (I think they were going to add that feature to Cuphead, though I don't know if they've ever said anything about that since it was first brought up)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
but you already can unlock achevements in minecraft on switch & log in to minecraft on you xbox profile as well as cross play with xbox already
Indeed, which is why I have no clue what part of the Xbox ecosystem is so important to Spencer that he’s willing to give up such a great business opportunity for in order to maintain.

EDIT: Given Spawn Wave’s speculation, it seems like the Xbox ecosystem that Microsoft may not be compromising on are things like friends list and the ability to play every game on GamePass. I think it’s likely Nintendo doesn’t want games that are on the eShop to be a part of it, whereas Microsoft wants all the games to be available. While it is partially greedy by Nintendo, I still think if this is the case, Microsoft is to blame. They’re the ones who need to show they’re willing to make the compromises to offer the best experiences possible, and to put it on phones but not the Switch demonstrates they do not want people to have the best experience when it comes to portability.

Which sucks—it would be great to have an option to play high performing games through streaming on the Switch. Nintendo’s trial with that failed, and it would be nice to have a store of games that we would otherwise not be able to have on the Switch. Guess Microsoft doesn’t want my money. :p

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You know what irks me in arenas? When some players want to only voice chat and not play the actual game. If they wanna voice chat, they can go to Facebook or Skype!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Well, Microsoft's Xbox showcase is finally over and unfortunately, But not surprisingly is that there was no new Banjo-Kazooie teased or announced.

But the good news is that it looks like Microsoft has updated the "Banjo-Kazooie" trademark and of all days it was today on the day of their Xbox showcase, They did same thing if I'm not mistaken when they were announced for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Which shows they likely have plans for the future of the franchise which is what I was already feeling before it just looks like we have to wait a little more longer until we get a remaster, Banjo-Threeie or a reboot all together.

As for the rest of the Xbox showcase, If I had to be honest it really did nothing for me and nothing caught my interest there, Halo was the main attraction and while it looks cool and was the game that did it's best to grab any of my attention that alone won't get me to buy an Xbox series X and it's not just Banjo-Kazooie, I was hoping to see that rumored Perfect Dark reboot and an update to Battletoads, Rare showed more of Everwild, But I just don't really have interest in those types of games and looks like it might be another online multiplayer game like Sea of Thieves with the same generic human avatar models they have been using since Kinect Sports Rivals that look boring to me.

It kind of sucks because I was pulling for Phil Spencer and Team Xbox to come out swinging after they were cool enough to let Banjo-Kazooie into Smash which I am still thankful for. I guess we will have to wait and see if Microsoft has anything more to show later this year, But as of right now they have yet to show me a reason to buy an Xbox.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Well, Microsoft's Xbox showcase is finally over and unfortunately, But not surprisingly is that there was no new Banjo-Kazooie teased or announced.

But the good news is that it looks like Microsoft has updated the "Banjo-Kazooie" trademark and of all days it was today on the day of their Xbox showcase, They did same thing if I'm not mistaken when they were announced for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Which shows they likely have plans for the future of the franchise which is what I was already feeling before it just looks like we have to wait a little more longer until we get a remaster, Banjo-Threeie or a reboot all together.

As for the rest of the Xbox showcase, If I had to be honest it really did nothing for me and nothing caught my interest there, Halo was the main attraction and while it looks cool and was the game that did it's best to grab any of my attention that alone won't get me to buy an Xbox series X and it's not just Banjo-Kazooie, I was hoping to see that rumored Perfect Dark reboot and an update to Battletoads, Rare showed more of Everwild, But I just don't really have interest in those types of games and looks like it might be another online multiplayer game like Sea of Thieves with the same generic human avatar models they have been using since Kinect Sports Rivals that look boring to me.

It kind of sucks because I was pulling for Phil Spencer and Team Xbox to come out swinging after they were cool enough to let Banjo-Kazooie into Smash which I am still thankful for. I guess we will have to wait and see if Microsoft has anything more to show later this year, But as of right now they have yet to show me a reason to buy an Xbox.
Yeah, if any time was the time to show Banjo-Kazooie, it was the E3 the year after their Smash appearance. I don’t expect anything Banjo from Microsoft at this point. It’s weird as the new character models and Spiral Mountain in Smash having so much detail made me think maybe they took some stuff from a remaster/new game in the making. But if they were going to show it, I felt like it would have been there. Complete missed opportunity, as it seems many people I watch share the opinion that their conference was mediocre and expected. Banjo-Kazooie, even a 5 second teaser with a gu-huh would have broken the internet.

As for my thoughts on the conference—same ****, different year. This was the time for Xbox to bring it. The first real showing of what Phil Spencer has accomplished since taking over, after years of acquiring everything under the sun and having so many partnerships, including with Nintendo—this was the presentation to show how they’ve changed, what Xbox would look like going forward. This was the time to convince me, someone who really only cares about Xbox because they have the old Rare IP, to actually consider Xbox and give me stuff I would like.

And it’s the same pathetic, tone-deaf presentation they have every year. Nothing but shooters, car games, with like a handful of other stuff that look throw-away. Only things that looked interesting to me was Psychonauts and Grounded, neither of which are games I’d get an Xbox or GamePass for. And like every year, barely any gameplay. I have no clue what Everwild is supposed to be, and that’s the one people claim was a highlight of the show. It’s great if anybody else got enjoyment out of the presentation. But even when ignoring Banjo-Kazooie not being there, Xbox has so much IP, but no actual games to show off. Xbox may have a new leader, but it’s the same Xbox.

Thanks Phil for being Banjo & Kazooie to Smash. Probably the only decent thing Microsoft will ever do.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima have effortlessly made all of Microsoft look bad by bringing in a new 3D mascot platformer that's not indie-based, and is multi-plat anyway.

At this stage, it's best to just ask for more Rare characters to be brought into Smash (especially Rash, we haven't heard anything new about his latest game in a good while). Anything else will just be met with them showing fan art and merch at fans, then burying their heads into the ground until they leave.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yuji Naka and Naoto Oshima have effortlessly made all of Microsoft look bad by bringing in a new 3D mascot platformer that's not indie-based, and is multi-plat anyway.

At this stage, it's best to just ask for more Rare characters to be brought into Smash (especially Rash, we haven't heard anything new about his latest game in a good while). Anything else will just be met with them showing fan art and merch at fans, then burying their heads into the ground until they leave.
Yeah. At this point Conker, Battletoads, Joanna Dark, Star Twins in Smash would be enough to satisfied me. Rare kind of doesn't care about their old IPs anymore.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah. At this point Conker, Battletoads, Joanna Dark, Star Twins in Smash would be enough to satisfied me. Rare kind of doesn't care about their old IPs anymore.
Yeah, if Microsoft was honorable and they have no plans to do anything with Banjo-Kazooie, they would just sell the IP and allow it to be multi-plat.

But, of course, they likely won’t, because they make enough money off of merch. Hope I’m proven wrong one of these days.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While I wasn't expecting full blown trailer reveal for Banjo-Kazooie it would have been nice to get at least a teaser of it being in the works kind of like what they did with Nuts & Bolts.

But I'm just disappointed we didn't get at least one "Classic" Rare IP revival reveal in the showcase at least 2013's Xbox One reveal had Killer Instinct, But absolutely nothing here which was a knockout blow for my hype and interest overall. Perfect Dark is probably not ready yet and Battletoads was surprisingly a no show and many have speculated that it's being reworked because of the negative reception regarding it's art style and to a lesser extent the gameplay.

I'm kind of trying to pull for Phil Spencer and Microsoft more compared to Sony because they own Rare, But even though I personally didn't think either conference were that great, I still think Sony had better reveal, At least Playstation mainstays Ratchet & Clank and even Sackboy are getting new games, Wish I could say the same for Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
God the Nuts and Bolts design is terrible. What a bizarre age in gaming the mid-late 2000s were. I'm thankful we've since strayed away from "realistic" designs and are embracing cartoony again. I'm still in awe sometimes at Banjo's appearance in Ultimate. It's just so perfect!

Also, man, I kinda really want Conker in Smash now

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God the Nuts and Bolts design is terrible. What a bizarre age in gaming the mid-late 2000s were. I'm thankful we've since strayed away from "realistic" designs and are embracing cartoony again. I'm still in awe sometimes at Banjo's appearance in Ultimate. It's just so perfect!

Also, man, I kinda really want Conker in Smash now
I mean, you aren't wrong.

Also, glad to see another supporter for the squirrel!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
While I wasn't expecting full blown trailer reveal for Banjo-Kazooie it would have been nice to get at least a teaser of it being in the works kind of like what they did with Nuts & Bolts.

But I'm just disappointed we didn't get at least one "Classic" Rare IP revival reveal in the showcase at least 2013's Xbox One reveal had Killer Instinct, But absolutely nothing here which was a knockout blow for my hype and interest overall. Perfect Dark is probably not ready yet and Battletoads was surprisingly a no show and many have speculated that it's being reworked because of the negative reception regarding it's art style and to a lesser extent the gameplay.

I'm kind of trying to pull for Phil Spencer and Microsoft more compared to Sony because they own Rare, But even though I personally didn't think either conference were that great, I still think Sony had better reveal, At least Playstation mainstays Ratchet & Clank and even Sackboy are getting new games, Wish I could say the same for Banjo-Kazooie.
That is what’s key—I really went into the Xbox showcase hoping to like Xbox because of Phil Spencer’s words and new leadership. While Banjo-Kazooie being there would have made it an instant win to me, the lack of Banjo-Kazooie doesn’t automatically make a bad show (huge eyerolls though). What made it a bad show was the lack of GAMES for people like me who aren’t into shooters, racing games, and whatever weird storybook games some of them were—there was only 2 mildly interesting games. They talked a big talk about having a diverse lineup, but it’s the same it’s always been.

And one of the reasons I think this is the end of Banjo with Xbox for now is that this show was focused on GamePass games, and you know Banjo-Kazooie would be guaranteed to be on GamePass. So I don’t see them doing anything Banjo until at least 2022, and wouldn’t be revealed until next year. I hope I’m wrong, but if not, not taking advantage of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash is a complete missed opportunity, and the hype for Banjo and reinvigorated platform games is at its apex now. Don’t want to wait until the ship has sailed.

All that having been said, as I mentioned before B&K’s announcement, out of the 3 big possibilities (Banjo in Smash, Banjo-Redooie, Banjo-Threeie), what I wanted most was Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, since I wasn’t confident in Microsoft’s capabilities of making Banjo-Kazooie good, but I did trust Sakurai. And that’s what I got and I was right, Sakurai did it well. So if that’s all we get, it will be a missed opportunity for Microsoft, but I’m satisfied.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

Are you sure? :) Is the trademark updated?! IS THE DREAM COMING TRUE?!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Banjo-Kazooie Trademark updated (7/23/20)

https://uspto.report/TM/75297133

A couple of articles regarding the trademark update.

https://stealthoptional.com/gaming/...xbox-games-showcase-reveal-announcement-rare/

While nothing unfortunately got announced in the Xbox Game Showcase, Microsoft knows the value of the Banjo-Kazooie IP and got a glimpse of it when they made their Super Smash Bros debut, Without a doubt they likely have plans for the future of the franchise.
Remember: hype responsibly. Renewed trademarks for Golden Sun, Mach Rider and Rhythm Heaven were part of the reason why people believed the Grinch leak. And these never amounted to anything.

I'm cautiously optimistic, because there's no way they haven't noticed this ressurgence of 3D platformers by now.

But the ball is in Rare's court, not Microsoft's - if they're not going to do anything with their old IPs, might as well let someone else do it.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Remember: hype responsibly. Renewed trademarks for Golden Sun, Mach Rider and Rhythm Heaven were part of the reason why people believed the Grinch leak. And these never amounted to anything.

I'm cautiously optimistic, because there's no way they haven't noticed this ressurgence of 3D platformers by now.

But the ball is in Rare's court, not Microsoft's - if they're not going to do anything with their old IPs, might as well let someone else do it.
Yeah yeah we know, Nothing is a lock or guarantee, But I'm also cautiously optimistic as things are really starting to look up for the future of Banjo-Kazooie.

Ehh... while Banjo-Kazooie isn't this massive IP, It's still a significant franchise with more credibility and a higher status than any of the 3 franchises you mentioned and is more primed for a "Major" comeback.

Microsoft owns Rare so at the end of the day they call the shots regarding their franchises, Rare offers input and overseas projects regarding their IP's like most recently with Killer Instinct (Double Helix/Iron Galaxy) and Battletoads (Dlala Studios). Just like Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion into Super Smash Bros Ultimate the copyright on the title screen says Microsoft not Rare.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What I heard about the trademark was it was not renewed, just meant it was refreshed, or something like that. But I’ve seen enough trademark speculation that even if it were renewed, it wouldn’t mean much.

My preference: get a team to do a Crash/BFBB style remaster, not a remake. Get the team used to knowing how to translate Banjo-Kazooie to a modern setting. There are two major problems with just doing Threeie or a remake: 1) there’d be an inconsistent style going from Kazooie to Tooie to Threeie, and 2) there will be challenges needed to be worked out in how to translate the series, and in addition to that the challenges of adding new and unique ideas. Doing a remaster, as opposed to a remake or sequel, allows the team to focus on one challenge before moving on to the next.

It’s why N-Sane Trilogy and Battle for Bikini Bottom we’re so much fun. They didn’t add too much that ruined the game for me and I got to enjoy playing the games in a way that still felt like a new experience.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This is why I believe why an indie company should do it. Anyone that's actually passionate enough about an older IP can do something with it.

Just look at all the Sega IPs that got revived by anyone that wasn't in Sega at the time: Shenmue, ToeJam & Earl, Streets of Rage, Wonder Boy/Monster World...all done by indie devs or their original creators.

Sitting around waiting for Microsoft or Rare to call up a developer for BK isn't going to accomplish anything.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Very bad news Nintendo fans.

Thanks to our so called government making people overreact to this virus and forcing shutdowns, Universal Studios Epic Universe park they were planning to build which had Super Nintendo World has been delayed, INDEFINITELY.

So yeah, no Nintendo theme park in California in 2023. Thanks government, glad you ruined my dream!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Very bad news Nintendo fans.

Thanks to our so called government making people overreact to this virus and forcing shutdowns, Universal Studios Epic Universe park they were planning to build which had Super Nintendo World has been delayed, INDEFINITELY.

So yeah, no Nintendo theme park in California in 2023. Thanks government, glad you ruined my dream!
It's not a big deal to me. I'm more concerned about Nintendo's Switch lineup getting delayed than a theme park.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the Switch lineup will be fine, seeing as we got Pikmin 3 outta nowhere.

Anyway, fear mongering aside...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFZR6BXLc3s

It looks like Rare Replay is available on a Game Pass for the Xbox One now, and the new Battletoads title is set to be coming near the end of this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32PO-pllPBo

And, uh, they're teaming up with the Dark Queen for a temporary alliance...?

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
I think the Switch lineup will be fine, seeing as we got Pikmin 3 outta nowhere.

It looks like Rare Replay is available on a Game Pass for the Xbox One now, and the new Battletoads title is set to be coming near the end of this month.

Perhaps they don't know her true motives yet in the beginning.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I could have sworn it was already on GamePass for Xbox One—I saw it was on GamePass and then was disappointed when it wasn’t for PC. Makes no sense it took that long—they own the game, and there’s no technical limitations. Weird.

Still, doesn’t affect me until it either comes to Xcloud PC or Switch, preferably the latter. Unfortunately since it took them this long to put it on their own hardware’s GamePass, I’m not holding my breath.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I could have sworn it was already on GamePass for Xbox One—I saw it was on GamePass and then was disappointed when it wasn’t for PC. Makes no sense it took that long—they own the game, and there’s no technical limitations. Weird.

Still, doesn’t affect me until it either comes to Xcloud PC or Switch, preferably the latter. Unfortunately since it took them this long to put it on their own hardware’s GamePass, I’m not holding my breath.
I think the technical limitations for Rare Replay hinge on the fact that 9 of the 30 titles are running on Xbox 360 emulation (including Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and Viva Piñata titles), which would require more effort to run on PC (when selecting the titles in RR, you exit RR itself to run these games and they are separate installations from RR). 20 of the 30 titles are emulated in the program itself, while Grabbed by the Ghoulies was rebuilt to run on the Xbox One hardware natively. So if Rare Replay were to come to PC, it would lose some of its titles, which goes against the 30 games selling point it was promised on.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

If Battletoads can return...then we can dream for Banjo's.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think the technical limitations for Rare Replay hinge on the fact that 9 of the 30 titles are running on Xbox 360 emulation (including Banjo-Kazooie, Perfect Dark, and Viva Piñata titles), which would require more effort to run on PC (when selecting the titles in RR, you exit RR itself to run these games and they are separate installations from RR). 20 of the 30 titles are emulated in the program itself, while Grabbed by the Ghoulies was rebuilt to run on the Xbox One hardware natively. So if Rare Replay were to come to PC, it would lose some of its titles, which goes against the 30 games selling point it was promised on.
Which goes back to the "fill the missing titles with ones originally on Nintendo hardware when it goes on Switch" theory. It'd be a shame to lose most of B-K, but at least Banjo Pilot and Grunty's Revenge could be brought back this way.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I know why it hasn’t been on PC (still didn’t stop the disappointment), I was confused as to why I thought Rare Replay was already on GamePass.

And hopefully xCloud fixes that issue. Shouldn’t be hard to have Xbox 360 emulation on architecture they’re making themselves. It’s a question of when PC gets it.

But I would rather none of that and just have Rare Replay/Banjo-Redooie on Switch, the least likely of the possibilities.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I took down a show offy top tier player in a Spirit/amiibo arena earlier. 3 times. And guess who I used the third time? (He was using Joker by the way.)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’m only looking at Direct speculation to know when we’ll get a Smash trailer.

Because all I hope for is pre-ordering that sweet, sweet Banjo & Kazooie amiibo when the next character showcase drops. Probably late Sept/early Oct.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’m only looking at Direct speculation to know when we’ll get a Smash trailer.

Because all I hope for is pre-ordering that sweet, sweet Banjo & Kazooie amiibo when the next character showcase drops. Probably late Sept/early Oct.
Word on the street says a "standard" Direct will follow the Indie one this month, so we'll see what happens there.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Word on the street says a "standard" Direct will follow the Indie one this month, so we'll see what happens there.
Oh I’ve been watching the word, and the indies presentation solidified the word for me. 🤣

2...8...th... pls

(also there are legit emojis now—I’ve been mostly lurking instead of posting)

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
The only thing I’m looking forward to is the Smash announcement. Though, would be nice to see anything Banjo-Kazooie related for Switch. If we’re getting anything, a year since their reveal would be a great time to do so.

Huh, that's interesting. Neat addition to the board. 😤

Watch it happen on 27th, for maximum irony.
Yeah, it could very well be the 27th, if the 28th is the Japanese date. Also makes sense if it’s a general direct, since those tend to be on Wed and Thu in the US.

I would be looking forward to the Mario remasters too, if it wasn’t that people expect them to be slightly improved ports. N64 and GameCube games should have came to NSO within 2 years of its release, and since Galaxy was already given a HD handheld release in other countries years ago, that should have came then as well. It’s too late to be excited for Mario ports at $20 each.

Top Bottom