• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Y’all taking a nostalgia trip in here? I’m getting a bunch a random likes on my overtly emotional post.

IM CRYING IM ****ING CRYING OH MY GOD HELP IM DYING
Anyways. It’s kind of surreal for me to come in here after so long and look at the fact that, wow, I’m still not used to the fact that Banjo is actually in. The one character I turned on on my first Smash, Smash 64, and said “Where are they” was the bear and bird. 20 years after when they should’ve been in. They’re in and it’s just... so surreal. Even now.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So do you guys think Dragon Kazooie would be a waste of a Echo slot? I don't she would be a waste if she comes along with the Fire Eggs.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Y’all taking a nostalgia trip in here? I’m getting a bunch a random likes on my overtly emotional post.

Anyways. It’s kind of surreal for me to come in here after so long and look at the fact that, wow, I’m still not used to the fact that Banjo is actually in. The one character I turned on on my first Smash, Smash 64, and said “Where are they” was the bear and bird. 20 years after when they should’ve been in. They’re in and it’s just... so surreal. Even now.
I think I might be to blame for that one. Sorry about that.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
It's awesome looking back, though also a bit frustrating how so many rewrite history to make Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie into being "obviously in." There was so much doubt, particularly the "Erdrick vs Banjo" debates, which are now hilarious in hindsight. Of course there were the rumors, and I did hope rumors would come sooner than later, but then regretted that wish as when I watched non-fans reactions, I was surprised how many heard of the rumors (particularly since the big one only came the week before, at that point, just wait and allow people to be surprised). I was hoping it stayed in our circle, but they spread, and so the reactions were less, "Wait, what?!" and more, "Ah, the rumors were true."

I know when Hero was revealed, admittedly I got a chilling sensation, thinking there was going to be only one character, stoned-faced. :rotfl: For me, right up until the Smash Villains intro, I was certain there'd only be one reveal. Made the Banjo & Kazooie reveal that much more cathartic for me.
When I saw the DK part, I assumed Dixie Kong would be revealed.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I honestly doubted that they were going to reveal Dixie Kong, That's what they probably wanted everyone to think because (No Surprise) it started out as a Donkey Kong cinematic trailer, Don't get me wrong I would like and would be cool with Dixie Kong in Smash, But...

Let's be honest, She isn't exactly a "Holy Crap/Grand Finale" character to end an E3 presentation with , She's a pretty safe choice compared to Ridley (Somewhat) and Banjo-Kazooie.

I was already pretty confident it was going to be Banjo-Kazooie, But a small part of me for also thought it would be a completely out of left field character for some reason.

I honestly thought Dixie Kong was going to show up in the "2018 August Direct" halfway through when they were unveiling items/weapons and they dropped the "Banana Gun" when DK and Diddy were on the screen and she was going to pop up as an echo or semi-clone similarly to Daisy, It would have made sense to use her as a set up for King K. Rool who would then show up as the big surprise at the end.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I've been looking back at past posts that went on last year since the one year anniversary is coming up quick. I came back to one of my posts from this thread here over a year ago.
When Banjo is confirmed, we can look back at poor arguments and have a good laugh.
I think it's safe to say that we all look back the poor arguments and insults thrown at Banjo & Kazooie and had good laughs from all of this. Wow, I can't believe it's pretty much been a year already. The feeling still feels fresh in my mind and all of you too. It's still one of the best reveals ever. I'm still thankful that Sakurai, Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft (especially Phil Spencer) made this experience happen. I hope everyone here is doing well. I do miss the times when this thread was super active leading up to E3. Seeing Banjo & Kazooie make their grand appearance and especially that Jiggy piece bounce across the floor are moments I will never forget.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Those protests happening in California, I'm worried that the rioting ones will set Nintendo on fire.

On topic, anyone else love how the Wonderwing can go through most Final Smashes?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Those protests happening in California, I'm worried that the rioting ones will set Nintendo on fire.

On topic, anyone else love how the Wonderwing can go through most Final Smashes?
1. Seriously?! Nintendo's in JAPAN, not California! These riots would have ZERO effect on them! Seriously, dude, you need to stop and think for a moment before you make a claim like that.

2. Wait, is that actually a thing? I've never tried that before!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
1. Seriously?! Nintendo's in JAPAN, not California! These riots would have ZERO effect on them! Seriously, dude, you need to stop and think for a moment before you make a claim like that.

Yeah, it's a thing.

The main exceptions seem to be grab-based ones, multi-hit ones like Diddy's or Sonic's, or something like Peach's where it doesn't directly attack the enemy.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

Yep, most Final Smashes won't break through the Wonderwing. The only ones that do however, are Young Link's, Toon Link's and Luigi's as their Final Smashes are grab based.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Yeah, it's a thing.

The main exceptions seem to be grab-based ones, multi-hit ones like Diddy's or Sonic's, or something like Peach's where it doesn't directly attack the enemy.
...Huh. Well I'll be damned. That's actually pretty amazing!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I'm still the same way, even though I've pretty much only have played Banjo & Kazooie since they were released. Told myself I'd eventually go back and learn Mario, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic better, but still haven't played many other characters outside of times I feel like going random. And even then, every now and then, I get that bizarre realization that they're still in Smash. And most of the time when clicking on them, I savor hearing their names called. :chuckle: It's beautiful.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I am still waiting on the Banjo-Kazooie amiibo. What is taking so long?
I’m expecting DLC amiibo to come around every presentation like last time. What I’m unsure about is a) will they be in groups of 3 like before, or groups of 2 or 1, b) will Hero get amiibo for each alt character, c) will the pandemic affect it at all. If it’s groups of 3 and only 1 Hero alt it could be this month. If groups <3 or more than 1 Hero amiibo, we might have to wait for FP7. And like was said, we could have to wait longer depending how different DLC amiibo might be, but I’m skeptical of that. I see no reason to assume so, but it should be taken as a possibility.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I came up with an idea for a great Banjo-Kazooie item for Smash:

The Gold Feather

Even though Banjo already incorporates this in his move set, imagine if anyone could harness the power of the good feather! It would work similarly to the star item from the Mario series, except it also send opponents flying upon simple contact with anyone. It would also come with the iconic gold feather song from the origin game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

The Gold Feather

Even though Banjo already incorporates this in his move set, imagine if anyone could harness the power of the good feather! It would work similarly to the star item from the Mario series, except it also send opponents flying upon simple contact with anyone. It would also come with the iconic gold feather song from the origin game.
I guess that could work even though we have never seen someone else pick up the gold feathers in the Banjo-Kazooie games. A Fake Jinjo item would be sick. I imagine you would throw the Fake Jinjo at your opponent and than they would be chasing them non stop.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I remember last year I almost had a legit heart attack when I saw our bear and bird duo and I laid down for a bit so I wouldn't die lol! I also remember Smashboards going real slow for me when E3 was streaming and I didn't get to get a post in after a bit after their reveal. My post wasn't anything special, but I was at least happy to say they were finally in.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
During E3 last year, I was still a lurker on here and following all the hype and distress that was abundant in the build up to Nintendo's presentation a year ago from tomorrow. I felt slightly meh early on when they revealed Hero and then moved onto other games they wanted to promote, but when they did the second reveal trailer and I saw that jiggy bounce across DK's house, I really did cry some tears of great joy as that was the moment I knew our beloved bear and bird were finally in Smash Bros. Definitely a moment I still treasure to this day.

To spark a discussion that's a bit less sentimental though, how do we think of Banjo & Kazooie as a character in Ultimate currently? Are there any changes you'd like to see in this next balance patch we'll get along with the ARMS character (or for another future patch if not this one)? It's something I've thought about and have some ideas on with the reveal on the horizon, but I'm curious if anyone here would want to share their opinions (or if people are still just in the honeymoon phase of actually being able to play our favorite bear and bird lol).

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

The Gold Feather

Someone even made a remix of the theme in Smash style.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Now, call it a hunch, but I got a feeling that tomorrow we will find that Banjo and Kazooie are in Smash Ultimate.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Happy Gu-huh-versa-bree everyone! Officially one year since we learned dreams can come true :)

Screenshot_2019-12-06-03-04-47.png

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
During E3 last year, I was still a lurker on here and following all the hype and distress that was abundant in the build up to Nintendo's presentation a year ago from tomorrow. I felt slightly meh early on when they revealed Hero and then moved onto other games they wanted to promote, but when they did the second reveal trailer and I saw that jiggy bounce across DK's house, I really did cry some tears of great joy as that was the moment I knew our beloved bear and bird were finally in Smash Bros. Definitely a moment I still treasure to this day.

To spark a discussion that's a bit less sentimental though, how do we think of Banjo & Kazooie as a character in Ultimate currently? Are there any changes you'd like to see in this next balance patch we'll get along with the ARMS character (or for another future patch if not this one)? It's something I've thought about and have some ideas on with the reveal on the horizon, but I'm curious if anyone here would want to share their opinions (or if people are still just in the honeymoon phase of actually being able to play our favorite bear and bird lol).
I’m pretty satisfied myself. While there are overall design choices I’d look at to make replacements and add more references, they’re perfect for me. They play exactly how I’d picture they play and they are one of the few characters I feel like I can actually play. Even Mario, who’s said by many to be easy to pick up and play, I’m so confused how to jump and recover properly. With Banjo & Kazooie, I’ve never had that problem.

As for competitive play—I feel like people unfairly put expectations on Banjo & Kazooie that shouldn’t have been there in the first place. They are supposed to be an all-around character, and therefore mid-tier fits them perfectly. If anything, characters like Mario are more high tier than he should be, as he’s also supposed to be an all-around character. I feel like a lot of people jumped on the Banjo-Kazooie bandwagon knowing little about the series, and as such, had high expectations based on their popularity. But fans that I know knew better—we just hoped he wouldn’t be bottom tier, and that he’s not is an accomplishment to me. I’m glad they feel like a base game character, as if they were always in there all along. I just wish they were to begin with.

So, while it’d be nice to get enough buffs so that Banjo & Kazooie were more in the discussion, which is unfairly biased towards competitive play, I’m satisfied with them as I’m a casual Smash player who wanted a unique character to come back home to play with their N64 pals. And they did. That’s what matters to me.

Happy Banjo & Kazooie anniversary everyone! Hope we’re all rarin’ to go for years to come!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
With the anniversary coming up, I’m really happy with Banjo in the game. The only change I would make is to change their forward air to ratatap like it is in their game. Considering this is how you fight the vast majority of enemies in the source material, I find it odd that it is used for his back air. Not sure if that would throw his balancing out of whack

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
(French Narrator from Spongebob): 1 Year Later...

5d0001d26fc920285f11bd62.jpeg.jpg

What else can I say that hasn't already been said countless times before?

Even to this day it's still unreal to have them in Super Smash Bros Ultimate, Like it shouldn't be legally possible for them to crossover in anything official from Nintendo as their ties were (Apparently) severed and swept under the rug nearly 20 years ago as they are officially 1st Party Xbox characters under Microsoft...

And yet here they are.

Having them appear in a trailer with fellow Rareware characters in DK, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool like many have wanted, Seeing Microsoft in the title screen, Having the announcer announce their names on the fighter select screen, Having Spiral Mountain as their home stage to fight in. Having hear tracks and remixes including one from Grant Kirkhope himself and Having Banjo-Kazooie fight with fellow Nintendo All-Stars in Mario, Donkey Kong and Pikachu in each of their own home turf for me just feels right and natural.

Banjo-Kazooie's long and difficult road to Smash that started out as an "All-Star" duo who seemed like a inevitable candidate that could have been in the beginning on the N64 and seemed only like a matter of time after they established themselves even further for them to join Melee or even Brawl, But were robbed of their chance as it was seen as good as dead the second Microsoft bought out Rare, But it was the ultimate "Underdog Story" that was 20 years in the making that made it even that much more sweeter and to me personally it was hands down, absolutely the greatest character reveal in Super Smash Bros history.

While we no longer have to speculate if Banjo-Kazooie will make it into Smash, The good news is that we have yet to still see the inevitable positive effects of all this, Whether it's a Rare Replay Switch port, XBLA eShop ports, Remasters or a Reboot, Joining Smash was the adrenaline shot that this franchise needed to bring it back from the dead and based on the reception of their Smash debut, It's only a matter of time before they officially come out of hibernation and are back for good

Special Thanks: Nintendo/Smash Team/Sakurai and Microsoft/Rare/Phil Spencer

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
It's been 1 year since Banjo & Kazooie were first revealed at E3 and caught us by surprise at the 11th hour. I remember seeing people here after watching Microsoft's E3 losing hope as nothing about Banjo & Kazooie was revealed. Not even Shinobi's perfect track record was enough to ease the doubts but now we can look back and laugh at ourselves as we look at this artwork and say this is official artwork from the Super Smash Bros team!

Banjo_&_Kazooie_SSBU.png

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Happy One-Year Anniversary to the official announcement of both Hero and Banjo & Kazooie, both of whom make up two of my three mains!

Top Bottom