• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Well, looks like we have to wait a little longer for the fighter, but good news, we're getting our ARMS rep and part one of Pokemon's DLC in the same month.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Overall, The direct was really underwhelming and disappointing for me personally.

Woke up around 9:30am and noticed they just silently dropped it and When I saw it was a "Mini", I tried to keep my expectations low, But ended up skipping everything I didn't care about which was like 90% of the direct as the only thing that I stopped to watch is the Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion DLC, But we already knew about that and are just being reminded that it's still coming.

As for fighter #6 being an Arm's character, It felt "Meh" and underwhelming as I haven't played the game and while it looks kind of fun, Not really a fan of most of the character designs and kind of feels like an attempt for Nintendo to give the game one last chance to shine even though they stopped supporting it and are offering a free demo/ trial for the game again. Was kind of expecting or hoping more for a big name 3rd party character (Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief), But even Nintendo probably didn't see it as much of a big deal as they revealed it during the middle of a direct mini and kind of dropped it without really any fanfare instead of teasing it as a big deal. At least it's something different I guess, But didn't really do anything for me.

The current situation of the world definitely played an impact on what they can and can't show so I will cut them some slack, But as someone who isn't into Animal Crossing and doesn't care about Xenoblade and while Pokemon Mystery Dungeon XD looks pretty nice, I will likely wait for a sale or some sort of price drop to play that one as I never really got to play the GBA/DS version before.

At least this time has given me a chance to catch up on my small backlog of games, But I'm starting to get caught up.

I guess I will have to wait until June for some big E3 news or whatever the hell people want to call it.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Overall, The direct was really underwhelming and disappointing for me personally.

Woke up around 9:30am and noticed they just silently dropped it and When I saw it was a "Mini", I tried to keep my expectations low, But ended up skipping everything I didn't care about which was like 90% of the direct as the only thing that I stopped to watch is the Pokemon Sword and Shield Expansion DLC, But we already knew about that and are just being reminded that it's still coming.

As for fighter #6 being an Arm's character, It felt "Meh" and underwhelming as I haven't played the game and while it looks kind of fun, Not really a fan of most of the character designs and kind of feels like an attempt for Nintendo to give the game one last chance to shine even though they stopped supporting it and are offering a free demo/ trial for the game again. Was kind of expecting or hoping more for a big name 3rd party character (Crash Bandicoot or Master Chief), But even Nintendo probably didn't see it as much of a big deal as they revealed it during the middle of a direct mini and kind of dropped it without really any fanfare instead of teasing it as a big deal. At least it's something different I guess, But didn't really do anything for me.

The current situation of the world definitely played an impact on what they can and can't show so I will cut them some slack, But as someone who isn't into Animal Crossing and doesn't care about Xenoblade and while Pokemon Mystery Dungeon XD looks pretty nice, I will likely wait for a sale or some sort of price drop to play that one as I never really got to play the GBA/DS version before.

At least this time has given me a chance to catch up on my small backlog of games, But I'm starting to get caught up.

I guess I will have to wait until June for some big E3 news or whatever the hell people want to call it.
On the brightside, if it's Ribbon Girl, it'll shut up the fans who claim Spirits deconfirm fighters.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara ALL have Spirites already its not them.

In the direct they showed off them & these other arms characters
Master Mummy
Mechanica
Byte & Barq
Kid Cobra
Helix
Max Brass
Lola Pop
Misango
Springtron
Dr. Coyle

Now WHY would they show all these characters to make us guess who it is ? if it just ends up being the main characters/mascot Spring Man & Ribbon Girl ? its NOT them.

& with this DLC we will get new spirites most likely all other characters will get spirites

Honestly ITS ALMOST 100% going to be Helix its a strange streatchy ooie gooie man who is mascot material & no other character in smash looks like him...err "it" at all. feels like a character sakurai would pick

UNLESS ! they just use Springtron & give him a moveset they would of gave spring man (& then spring man can be in the next smash as an echo of Springtron?)

but Helix looks like the Obvious choise despite Springman & Ribbongirl's main character power & Min Min & Twintelle's HUGE fanbase, Min Min was trending on twitter for a bit for gaming related stuff

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Spring Man, Ribbon Girl, Min Min, Twintelle, Ninjara ALL have Spirites already its not them.

Master Mummy
Mechanica
Byte & Barq
Kid Cobra
Helix
Max Brass
Lola Pop
Misango
Springtron
Dr. Coyle

Now WHY would they show all these characters to make us guess who it is ? if it just ends up being the main characters/mascot Spring Man & Ribbon Girl ? its NOT them.

& with this DLC we will get new spirites most likely all other characters will get spirites

Honestly ITS ALMOST 100% going to be Helix its a strange streatchy ooie gooie man who is mascot material & no other character in smash looks like him...err "it" at all. feels like a character sakurai would pick

UNLESS ! they just use Springtron & give him a moveset they would of gave spring man (& then spring man can be in the next smash as an echo of Springtron?)

but Helix looks like the Obvious choise despite Springman & Ribbongirl's main character power & Min Min & Twintelle's HUGE fanbase, Min Min was trending on twitter for a bit for gaming related stuff
They could still use Spring Man or Ribbon Girl, they’re the mascots. FP2 was decided way after basegame spirits were, and ATs can be disabled or just be like Chrom.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They're clearly having a bit of fun with us, is all. "This fighter's arms can exteeeend!". Sure, Biff, but that's a tad non-specific.

Showing the entire roster like this is pretty much Guess Who: ARMS Edition.

Also, for anyone who hasn't seen this:

When you need to have it literally spelled out to you in these trying times.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Have been thinking a lot about what they could do with an ARMS fighter and seeing people's reactions and who they want to be represented in it, I personally think (and hope) the way they're not flat out saying who it will be and showing the whole ARMS roster, they're gonna go the Bowser Jr./Inkling/Hero route and have an 8-in-1 fighter with Spring Man breaking the obviously-fan-made rule of Assist Trophy means no chance as playable and be upgraded to the main fighter of ARMS with Ribbon Girl, Ninjara, Min Min, Kid Cobra, Twintelle, Helix, and Dr. Coyle as alternate forms given their similar body types, so four male and four female alts like the Inklings. The most popular characters from ARMS are already represented as an Assist Trophy and Spirits and given Sakurai's choices in the past, it seems strange he'd go for a character not already representing ARMS in Smash, so I'm fairly confident ARMS will have multiple characters represented in one fighter for maximum fan service and ease of play. What this means for future DLC is anyone's guess if Spring Man makes the leap from Assist Trophy to playable, but I'm really hoping all 8 of these characters, especially Spring Man who's design and style I really like, are the characters chosen for Smash. In fact, I think it could be possible they replace Spring Man's Assist Trophy with Springtron and it would still work just fine, and with the big 8 represented as playable characters, that would leave the other crazier designed characters like Master Mummy, Mechanica, Byte & Barq, Max Brass, Lola Pop, Misango, and even Biff to be represented as Spirits. I've been stoked for ARMS to be represented in Smash ever since the first reveal trailer, even though I haven't played the game, I really dig the style and designs of the characters, and was super bummed when Spring Man was just an Assist Trophy. It seems silly for a Nintendo fighting IP outside of Smash to NOT have playable representation in Smash so I hope it's represented well. It'll be cool having an official boxing match between Little Mac, Ryu, Terry, and *unnamed ARMS representative* in the Boxing Ring, and I personally feel this makes up for Fire Emblem getting yet another representative.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434

Master Mummy
Mechanica
Byte & Barq
Kid Cobra
Helix
Max Brass
Lola Pop
Misango
Springtron
Dr. Coyle

We're still not sure if Spirits deconfirm fighters yet. I don't believe they do.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I personally think that ARMS' situation is the ultimate Schrodinger's Cat, but let's move along to a different topic before the mods notice.

Do you think that Microsoft will show anything interesting at the Direct-palooza this Summer?

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
Whenever I see people still complaining about Banjo, I just need to look at this and laugh at them. Even Nintendo knows they were far and away the hypest.

Every other reaction is so subdued or just non existent (lmao Byleth) in comparison.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Whenever I see people still complaining about Banjo, I just need to look at this and laugh at them. Even Nintendo knows they were far and away the hypest.

Every other reaction is so subdued or just non existent (lmao Byleth) in comparison.
I wasn't even aware that people were still complaining about Banjo. (or that there were even a decent amount of complaints about Banjo to begin with - I know that his gameplay is underwhelming competitively, but I didn't think that people had problems with his inclusion) I guess ignorance is bliss on my part.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

To be fair, the best reactions to Hero were from Japan, so it wouldn't make sense to put them into a video styled for the US.

Joker and Terry also garnered a lot of positive reactions... but they would probably need to be censored to appear in the video lol.

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux
I wasn't even aware that people were still complaining about Banjo. (or that there were even a decent amount of complaints about Banjo to begin with - I know that his gameplay is underwhelming competitively, but I didn't think that people had problems with his inclusion) I guess ignorance is bliss on my part.
Pretty much just the same people vehemently defending Byleth like their life depends on it.
unknown (1).png

"Boomer cereal mascot bad, feed me more anime please"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If the hate bandwagoners really hate him that much, all they need to do is don't buy him, simple as that, not feel oppressed by the fact he's there. It makes the genuine supporters of other characters look bad.

These fandom feuds don't make sense at times.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

To be fair, Every character (No matter who they are) is bound to have "Some" form of criticism or backlash, It's impossible to please everyone, The Super Smash Bros series has the power to round up every type of fanbase and pits them against each other and worlds collide.

That being said, To no surprise and without a doubt Banjo-Kazooie got the biggest and most positive reaction/reception and had the least amount of backlash overall.

There's a reason they were revealed as an "E3 Finale".

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's telling when even some parts of the Japanese audience were thrilled with/wanting his arrival, it takes some very specific cases to get them to universally like Western characters.

Little Mac, Bayonetta (mentioned to be the top request in Europe), Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, Banjo and Kazooie.

So at least 6.
7 with Mega Man, as he was highly anticipated by Smash 4.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord

Pretty much. Though i see more people complaining about Banjo's playstyle than his inclusion nowadays. But it's hard to top Bear and Bird. Smash at its core is about old school Nintendo icons and mascots duking it out, and of course those will be the ones who draw the most attention, which is why K.Rool and Ridley are the only ones that compare in terms of hype.

Pretty much just the same people vehemently defending Byleth like their life depends on it.
View attachment 267821
It's funny to think weebs sometimes try to speak up in this manner. Ironically enough the japanese weren't particulary pissed off from what i have seen. It reminds me of those Groups of people that try to speak up for the marginalized groups, yeah you know what im talking about. Not to worship the Japanese because that's what a weebs does, but i have not seen them react in the same way the weebs react to Banjo and Ridley (and K.Rool to an extent) A.K.A REEEEEING just because he doesn't look like from an Adult Visual Novel.

This is why weebs are terrible :troll:.

But remember, you have won, and living well is the best revenge. I got Simon he's my top 1 character since the game's release, and i don't care how much people hate Richter (they always seem to target Richter and forget about Simon) i still got my dream come true and i don't need some pesky twitter ***** complaning about Crosses and Axes to remind me of that.

Banjo has been sneaking into my top 20 (i think he is top 12), though. and once i get a new controller, i will try to give him more spotlight. At least he ended up beign more fun than i thought. Which is more than i can say about Hero, whose moveset i find unreliable and only fun in really , really, really, casual play (i still think the best implemented magic user in Smash is the Black Mage from SSF2) and this is coming from someone who played, enjoyed and finished Dragon Quest XI, and Terry is where im a basic Jab Jab Down B normie.

....ooh yeah Joker and Byleth exist. Don't care about them.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
View attachment 267821
One thing I'm willing to bet is that we are going to get at the very least 1 more western character in season 2.

Who it is ? I don't know, But it seems like a sure thing after what Sakurai said about wanting to get involved with more western gaming/characters when Banjo-Kazooie got in, I mean most of Japan's biggest gaming icons are already in Smash and there isn't too much major "Star Power" left out there.

But I think the 2 safest bets have gotta be Crash Bandicoot and Rayman in terms of western gaming and platforming mascots.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One thing I'm willing to bet is that we are going to get at the very least 1 more western character in season 2.

Who it is ? I don't know, But it seems like a sure thing after what Sakurai said about wanting to get involved with more western gaming/characters when Banjo-Kazooie got in, I mean most of Japan's biggest gaming icons are already in Smash and there isn't too much major "Star Power" left out there.

But I think the 2 safest bets have gotta be Crash Bandicoot and Rayman.
Between the Nintendo friendzoning and Ubi ignoring Rayman, I'm not sure about that latter one just yet, regardless how biased I am about the Ray.

Crash is definitely safe though, barring some really dire circumstances. We still have yet to get any news for the next Crash game, and I don't expect that to change for April.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Little Mac, Bayonetta (mentioned to be the top request in Europe), Ridley, K. Rool, Dark Samus, Banjo and Kazooie.

So at least 6.
Bayo and K. Rool also had a good chunk of popularity coming from overseas. So I wouldn't really count them - I mentioned four because Mac, Ridley, Dark Samus and the bear and bird are the four ones that (to my knowledge, at least), were backed only in the west (or in BK's case, the western support is a lot bigger than the eastern one, moreso than with Bayo and K. Rool).

Then again, even if you do count them, that's still 6 out of like... 85.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Between the Nintendo friendzoning and Ubi ignoring Rayman, I'm not sure about that latter one just yet, regardless how biased I am about the Ray.

Crash is definitely safe though, barring some really dire circumstances. We still have yet to get any news for the next Crash game, and I don't expect that to change for April.
I still think Rayman has a solid shot because Ubisoft content seems to keep showing up in the game even as recently as those Rabbids and Assassin's Creed costumes and even going as far as providing the 3D Rayman model for Smash 4, Almost as if it's a tease.

Would be weird for Nintendo and Sakurai to collaborate with one of the biggest 3rd party gaming companies in the world to only make minor/side deals and constantly tiptoeing around Ubisoft's company mascot.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
While on the topic of western characters: So besides Nintendo owned Rare characters like Krystal and Dixie Kong, I want to see Conker, Battletoads, Star Twins, and Joanna Dark. Hopefully we get more Rare reps in the future besides just DK characters and Krystal.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While on the topic of western characters: So besides Nintendo owned Rare characters like Krystal and Dixie Kong, I want to see Conker, Battletoads, Star Twins, and Joanna Dark. Hopefully we get more Rare reps in the future besides just DK characters and Krystal.
Yeah, although JFG being a one-game deal might hurt their chances, not to mention that their spirit content was seemingly cut.

The toads seem safe for now, but they really need a big fan push in case the Xbone reboot bombs. This goes double for Conker and Joanna.

Not sure how likely the Killer Instinct cast is.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, although JFG being a one-game deal might hurt their chances, not to mention that their spirit content was seemingly cut.

The toads seem safe for now, but they really need a big fan push in case the Xbone reboot bombs. This goes double for Conker and Joanna.

Not sure how likely the Killer Instinct cast is.
Yeah. But I feel like at least one more 100% owned Rare rep needs to be in the roster. Notably either Joanna Dark, Conker, or Battletoads if not all of them.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
In that case, full-throttle support should be towards one of those.

Fortunately we got our own ambassador for that:

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Nice! In the case of Conker, Joanna Dark, and Battletoads I would be happy with either of the three. But personally I would choose Conker as he feels like the 2nd most important original Rare character besides Banjo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Nice! In the case of Conker, Joanna Dark, and Battletoads I would be happy with either of the three. But personally I would choose Conker as he feels like the 2nd most important original Rare character besides Banjo.
I would pick the Battletoads, since they've had a longer Nintendo legacy (despite being one of the earliest mascots to go multi-plat). Plus they got Smash Hits.

I'm open to supporting either of the two, of course.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would pick the Battletoads, since they've had a longer Nintendo legacy (despite being one of the earliest mascots to go multi-plat). Plus they got Smash Hits.

I'm open to supporting either of the two, of course.
I would go with them 2nd for that reason. I feel like Battletoads was Rare's first big hit before getting on the map with DKC. They definitely deserve to be in as they represent the pre-Rareware era.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Another character I forgot to mention that is more of a wild card compared to Crash and Rayman, But now seems like a possiblity is Master Chief.

With Microsoft already on board. It doesn't seem to crazy to think that he was mentioned during negotiations when they struck a deal with Banjo-Kazooie and I for one will welcome the "Face of Xbox" joining Smash as a "Nintendo returning the favor kind of thing" Seeing how Microsoft/Phil Spencer were so cool about allowing Banjo-Kazooie join Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Not to mention that it would be a huge deal and a historic moment having Mario fight against Master Chief.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
:) Oh prepare to laugh at him if Shantae makes it.
Oh, for sure. A character made by honest weebs and liked by Japanese gamers? It'd be a logic bomb for the guy.

george-costanza-popcorn.gif

Another character I forgot to mention that is more of a wild card compared to Crash and Rayman, But now seems like a possiblity is Master Chief.

With Microsoft already on board. It doesn't seem to crazy to think that he was mentioned during negotiations when they struck a deal with Banjo-Kazooie and I for one will welcome the "Face of Xbox" joining Smash as a "Nintendo returning the favor kind of thing" Seeing how Microsoft/Phil Spencer were so cool about allowing Banjo-Kazooie join Super Smash Bros Ultimate.

Not to mention that it would be a huge deal and a historic moment having Mario fight against Master Chief.
Before that can happen, we do need to see if King Zell's rumor of a Halo Collection on Switch pans out. That would be the catalyst needed to give Nintendo the go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom