• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Honestly, I dont think it was a matter of "dishonesty" or "lies" moreso than a combination of lack of know-how from GF and bad administration from TPC.

All I can say is: I really hope this trashfire makes Nintendo and TPC realize that Pokémon can't be made in the same model from the 90s anymore. I hope this helps GF improve.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, looks like if anything happens Banjo-Kazooie wise, I'm thinking it would be next E3. Not holding my breath for showing up in a Nintendo Direct before then.

As for Sword & Shield--I stuck with consoles after the GBA, and wished I could play Pokemon on consoles--just imagining how better the graphics and animation could be. When announced for the Switch, was pretty excited, but given my history, I was only concerned with whether all my Gen 1 and 2 Pokemon would be in it. Back then, it was a sure-thing, the only question is if it was Go/Let's Go compatible. So I completed my Go Gen 1 dex just in case, spent so long even though I wasn't a fan of Go itself. Once it was announced there'd be Go compatibility, but no national dex, and the graphics/animation is no better than the portable games, it was the worst case scenario for me. So, happy for the fans who are looking forward to it, but disappointed a) not interested in getting Sword & Shield myself and b) GF will make so much money they won't care about any of the criticism. It's a vicious cycle, but one I've accepted a long time ago.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

As encouraging as this is, I get the impression that the ball actually isn't on Rare's court to start with. Does Microsoft even have any spare kiddy game devs? Besides the Super Lucky's Tale guys.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
As encouraging as this is, I get the impression that the ball actually isn't on Rare's court to start with. Does Microsoft even have any spare kiddy game devs? Besides the Super Lucky's Tale guys.
I think it's likely the balls in Rare's court--they just don't want to play ball. :chuckle: The only scenario I see likely is a company Microsoft owns going to Microsoft with the passion to do something with Banjo-Kazooie, and Microsoft would give the green light, and Rare would likely advise them. That's the most likely scenario I see--whether that itself is likely is another question entirely.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's likely the balls in Rare's court--they just don't want to play ball. :chuckle: The only scenario I see likely is a company Microsoft owns going to Microsoft with the passion to do something with Banjo-Kazooie, and Microsoft would give the green light, and Rare would likely advise them. That's the most likely scenario I see--whether that itself is likely is another question entirely.
What I'm saying is, developers other than Rare did something with a few of their IPs in recent years; Killer Instinct and Battletoads. It makes it seem like they could do it for B-K as well, but come off as being out of touch when other consoles currently capitalise on the resurgence of 3-D platformer mascots. Even Sony acknowledged Crash despite not owning him anymore!

Meanwhile, Mayles recently changed his Twitter location from a Sea of Thieves place to Click-Clock Wood. This may just be a little gag that doesn't mean anything, so who knows...

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Before their Smash reveal, I wondered into a random Gamestop one day, one I haven't gone to before, and I saw the Banjo figure. It was the only one there and I've never seen it again in any store. So I bought it instantly.

So what I'm saying is that somehow, my purchase of a Banjo figure convinced Nintendo to add Banjo to Smash. So...planet earth, you're welcome.

It will be the stand-in for them until their amiibo comes out. I'm surprised that there's no news on the FP amiibos.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I got the Banjo Totaku figure for a similar reason. As for the Fighters Pass amiibos, maybe they're waiting for all of the characters in the Fighters Pass to be revealed?

I wonder how they're going to handle alternate costumes, particularly with Hero - it seems entirely possible that each of the four Dragon Quest heroes could get their own amiibo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I got the Banjo Totaku figure for a similar reason. As for the Fighters Pass amiibos, maybe they're waiting for all of the characters in the Fighters Pass to be revealed?

I wonder how they're going to handle alternate costumes, particularly with Hero - it seems entirely possible that each of the four Dragon Quest heroes could get their own amiibo.
Well, of course. We're running out of veteran and base game characters, and once that happens, it'll take longer to make and release amiibo more often, since none of the DLC characters are veterans that have existing amiibo models.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Would be funny if they showed off the fighter pass amiibos and leaked character 5 before they are announced.

I hope Hero gets an amiibo for each of his alt costumes . How could they not give Erdrick one?

Well, of course. We're running out of veteran and base game characters, and once that happens, it'll take longer to make and release amiibo more often, since none of the DLC characters are veterans that have existing amiibo models.
I'm still surprised how long it took for them to release Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta amiibos, I think over a year after the characters came out.

The last two confirmed amiibos, Richter and Dark Samus, are coming out Jan 17th. It's weird that it's just the two. Joker could easily go with them. And with the amiibo theory, then character 5 will be in January.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Smash fans...we got a problem.

Those lazily put together excuses of games are beating Smash...and it gets me worried Game Freak is going to continue to half complete future games...

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Smash fans...we got a problem.

Those lazily put together excuses of games are beating Smash...and it gets me worried Game Freak is going to continue to half complete future games...
Honestly, from what I've seen from some of the more major Youtubers, they seem to really be enjoying Sword and Shield despite some apparent flaws, so if people are excited for these games, let them be excited.

Also, calling them "lazy excuses for games" even though you've refused to actually play them? Not cool.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Also, calling them "lazy excuses for games" even though you've refused to actually play them? Not cool.
I mean, people refuse to play them because of the fact they're "lazy". And though I don't agree with the last part, the game was definitely rushed. Still has good points, not like this is nearly the dumpster fire of Anthem or Fallout 76, but it also lacks a lot of polish compared to Odyssey, BotW and Smash.

All in all, I'm sad, as a long time Pokémon fan. Not because it sold more than Smash, mind you, I don't care about that - but the fact that the games sold well likely means that GF will keep this strategy for as long as they can - not changing what actually needs to be changed or giving time for the production to reach good polish, but just stuffing it with "a shiny new mechanic", removing other core features and implementing others without too much planning or care and not employing more people or getting a bigger budget from TPC.

Looks like Gen VII might have been my last one for a while...

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I mean, people refuse to play them because of the fact they're "lazy". And though I don't agree with the last part, the game was definitely rushed.
It just irks me whenever people crap all over something (video game, movie, or TV Show) without actually having seen it; for my money, you can't really form a properly informed opinion unless you've actually experience that piece of media.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It just irks me whenever people crap all over something (video game, movie, or TV Show) without actually having seen it; for my money, you can't really form a properly informed opinion unless you've actually experience that piece of media.
On the other hand, people have the right to not buy a product they think is of lower quality and express such opinions. Pieces of media are products, it's only fair to choose not to consume them based on that. That's why first impressions matter.

By this point, gameplay is already out - people can see for themselves whether the quality is on par with their standards or not.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
It's amazing how different Ultimate and Swish have been presented. Ultimate is upfront with its info (everyone is here by E3), Swish was crazy secretive (the starters second evolution weren't even known until the game came out). Ultimate has everyone is here, Swish gutted their roster. Ultimate did news updates that got great press, Swish kept botching their updates and made things worse. Ultimate listened to fans, Swish gave off the vibe that they ignored fans. Ultimate kept the same formula but added a crap-ton of content from its series history, Swish kept the same formula but cut content from its series history.

It's not surprising a Pokemon game printed money in the end, but admittedly it is a bit frustrating seeing a game that had months of backlash and self-inflicted horrible PR easily outsell a game that has a crazy amount of work and care poured into it.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
When a game is so rushed that there's already
a tease for the next Gen via an Indian-themed Pokémon
and a mouse cursor wandering in the credits, it's time for TPC and GF to stop for a few years. You can't do :ultmegaman:-level saturation with Pokémon, it won't end well.

Eventually, even the diehards will feel that something is amiss.

Firox

Smash Master
It's amazing how different Ultimate and Swish have been presented. Ultimate is upfront with its info (everyone is here by E3), Swish was crazy secretive (the starters second evolution weren't even known until the game came out). Ultimate has everyone is here, Swish gutted their roster. Ultimate did news updates that got great press, Swish kept botching their updates and made things worse. Ultimate listened to fans, Swish gave off the vibe that they ignored fans. Ultimate kept the same formula but added a crap-ton of content from its series history, Swish kept the same formula but cut content from its series history.

It's not surprising a Pokemon game printed money in the end, but admittedly it is a bit frustrating seeing a game that had months of backlash and self-inflicted horrible PR easily outsell a game that has a crazy amount of work and care poured into it.
When you consider this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pokemon/comments/dv438w/complete_list_of_all_problems_known_so_far_in/

And the fact that there's STILL apologists lapping this garbage up off the floor, it's downright tragic. SOOOOOO much potential utterly wasted.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The kicker in all of this is that :ultluigi:'s Mansion 3 started out looking like a 3DS game like Dark Moon, and wound up being as detailed as Luigi's Mansion 1, if not even moreso, and still managed to have plenty of content for the type of game it is (despite the Polterkitty parts being padding). All that, from devs that hadn't made a game in years. None of the time between announcement and release of Swish was used to refine any of the visuals except the giant Pokémon, heck, the starters' reveal trailer looked better than the game itself.

You get the impression that the devs all went on a ramen break for a few months as soon as Swish's content was implemented.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I think it's a combination of Game Freak lacking some know-how and The Pokémon Company forcing an annual deadline; "IT HAS TO BE OUT BY BLACK FRIDAY!!!!!" I guess it's weird how they did better with LGPE regarding trees (heh) and whatnot, but meh.

While the problems have me concerned, the games still look fun, and being the Pokémon fanboy that I am, I still want to get the games. It's not like the games haven't already made it big, anyway.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Back on topic, it's Banjo-Tooie's 19th anniversary today! Can't believe its been that long since we traversed the bigger world of the Isle of Hags in a quest to avenge our fallen friend Bottles! Happy Anniversary, Banjo-Tooie! <3

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Hey, the only lazy part I hate was Game Freak lying that they rebuilt the old models.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Okay, putting all this fearmongering aside, today is the 25th anniversary of Rare's first big Nintendo hit, Donkey Kong Country, hurray!

:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It is unfortunate that Pokemon is beating Smash, despite Smash seemingly being the better game (based off of what the game looks to me, media reviews, and friends opinions), but totally expected. I don't think there's anything to worry about in regards to Smash.

I can understand the frustration, but logically--why would someone buy a game they think doesn't look good in order to be able to have sufficient grounds to share their thoughts on a game? That makes no sense.

Which is why I take a balanced position: I'll comment on what I feel the game looks like (crap), I'll listen and respect my friends who say it's great, but not conflate my feelings on what the game looks like to what it actually is if I don't happen to play it.

I am disappointed that Pokemon prints money regardless of the (perceived) quality of the games--it does keep incentivizing Game Freak to continue their unsustainable rushed model of development to keep up with their merchandising/entertainment arm. And they are certainly not lazy devs--it's remarkable the quality is that good given how much they rush, but for me, the quality is low within the context of Pokemon being the highest selling media franchise.

However, I'm lucky in that I can have my critical thoughts while being able to play the game for free, since my friend is possibly getting it. Then I can try it and give my honest thoughts without being susceptible to the sunk cost fallacy.

EDIT:

After nearly two whole months, it still feels almost surreal to hear Xander Mobus say "Banjo and Kazooie WIN!".

We don't deserve Sakurai, holy ****.
It makes me wonder if Xander's Banjo & Kazooie voice clips were from the sessions where they had him list of random characters that weren't originally in (but since they had them already, used them), or if they were from a session where the developers knew Banjo & Kazooie were in.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Eh, Swish will get diminishing returns over time anyway, since Pokémon games don't use paid DLC for any of the event stuff and extra Pokémon that get added. Sales might be good now, but additional ones will only come from getting expensive copies.

Meanwhile, what I'm wondering about is the general consensus on Little Town Hero. I'm not sure if what I'm seeing here is a good sign...

It makes me wonder if Xander's Banjo & Kazooie voice clips were from the sessions where they had him list of random characters that weren't originally in (but since they had them already, used them), or if they were from a session where the developers knew Banjo & Kazooie were in.
Now this is actually a good question, seeing as the Smash staff aren't strangers to keeping scrapped voice clips that might get used eventually. :mario2::fox::pikachu2::jigglypuff::falcon::ness2:

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Sometimes when I look at the roster and see Banjo and Kazooie on it, I get a goofy looking smile on my face.

What an excellent addition.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think we can agree that most people would want to be in Krazy's position right now.

The only pity is that we may not see his suit stunt until Winter blows over.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I think we can agree that most people would want to be in Krazy's position right now.

I wish I knew of Krazy before Banjo's reveal so I could have seen things build and his hope swell until the actual confirmation.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I see fans and even Steve Mayles continuing to hope Krazy does the stunt--from the little context I had when he mentioned it, it sounded like a funny meme but that he has had no experience in skydiving (correct me if I'm wrong). Such a stunt in a suit would be dangerous for even an experience professional (the suit adds a ton of complications), so I always find it odd seeing it brought up. It makes me hope I'm missing some context (like Krazy happens to be an experienced professional skydiver).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I see fans and even Steve Mayles continuing to hope Krazy does the stunt--from the little context I had when he mentioned it, it sounded like a funny meme but that he has had no experience in skydiving (correct me if I'm wrong). Such a stunt in a suit would be dangerous for even an experience professional (the suit adds a ton of complications), so I always find it odd seeing it brought up. It makes me hope I'm missing some context (like Krazy happens to be an experienced professional skydiver).
I'm pretty sure that, dedicated as he is, he would need to make all the necessary preparations for the stunt (pretty sure he brought up that he'd use a parachute). It's not like he quickly goes "Let's do it right now, YOLO!" when he hasn't brought it up very often lately, even before the end of Fall.

Heck, we don't even know if he's received the suit by now. He'll definitely use it to stream himself playing the B-K games though, since I recall him saying it's self-ventilated.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Since Half Life officially got a new game announced after 12 years (a hiatus that even outlasts Banjos), I think its fitting to share a fun easter egg in the data of one of the Half Life addons, Opposing Force. 2 enemies in the code are specifically named "Banjo" and "Kazooie". You can find them at the 1:30 mark
Also, since even Half Life can come back from the dead, I think its safe to say that Banjo can reasonably be revived within the coming years. Anything is possible!

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings
The time is here, I must spread the word. There is a new plush set featuring bear and bird!

Who says Banjo and Kazooie aren't marketable. Pretty steady stream of merchandise coniciding with their return.

If people continue to show support and contiinue conversation then who knows what can happen. The stars have to align but the SNES/NES/PS1/NEO GEO/Genesis mini consoles, Tony Hawk PS 1&2(Strong rumors), Crash, Killer Instinct and Battletoads revivals, to name a few, show that there can be interest, demand and money in older IP...

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Since Half Life officially got a new game announced after 12 years (a hiatus that even outlasts Banjos), I think its fitting to share a fun easter egg in the data of one of the Half Life addons, Opposing Force. 2 enemies in the code are specifically named "Banjo" and "Kazooie". You can find them at the 1:30 mark
Also, since even Half Life can come back from the dead, I think its safe to say that Banjo can reasonably be revived within the coming years. Anything is possible!
You're right! If Half Life can be revived, so can Banjo!

Top Bottom