• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

StormC

Smash Hero
Oh my god, Wonderwing and Breegull Bash might be the most satisfying kill moves in Smash history.

I am having a ridiculously good time with the bear and bird. I'm definitely sinking dozens of hours into them like I did K. Rool. I had a feeling I would enjoy playing as them, but I really just wanted them in because they deserved to be in as classic Nintendo characters. I didn't think I would love their playstyle this much and that I would end up co-maining them.

I feel like I'm seven years old, playing Banjo-Kazooie for the first time. I'm so, so, so happy.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
"Banjo & Kazooie, WIN!"

I'm glad that they are able to have the Japanese "win" instead of the Overseas "wins". Sounds more celebratory than the latter.

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
"Banjo & Kazooie, WIN!"

I'm glad that they are able to have the Japanese "win" instead of the Overseas "wins". Sounds more celebratory than the latter.
Yes, Xander put some more energy in that line, So I'm glad Banjo and Kazooie get to be one of the few that use it.

Anyways I was screwing around in training mode with the music turned off, and Spiral Mountain has this ambient waterfall and birds sounds which is nice, as well as the bridge creaking when you walk on it. These are hard things to notice with all the music, but Smash stages do have some ambience. Grunty, Jinjos, and Mumbo have a voice clip, Bottles doesn't but his mole hill digging and scratching sounds are the originals which is a nice nod. Also when the stage spinning arrows show up, it sounds very much like the textbox from the original games.

Oddly Gruntilda's broom makes a sound when its flying, but I swear its not the same sound from the trailer, the one that made people think Gruntilda may have been a boss. Maybe I'm mistaken but the trailer seems to have lied

I also noticed that Kazooie does still fart. A lot of people thought it had been replaced by the plop sound, because as Banjo players we tend to use grenades every 5 seconds, so I know the Smash devs didn't want the whole match to have fart sounds. But if you try to spawn a 2nd grenade, Kazooie does make a very small fart noise before the animation where she shakes her head no, its just nearly impossible to hear with music playing over it. So for anyone upset the fart isn't accurate to the source material, just know it's still kinda there for your listening pleasure

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Banjo & Kazooie, WIN!"

They also use a singular "win" for the Ice Climbers and Rosalina & Luma.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Here's the direct live reaction at Nintendo World NYC, But I just wanna say that I'm kinda of annoyed that some of these fans had to boo Microsoft when they were said to be the IP holder for Banjo-Kazooie even though Nintendo deserves some of the blame as well. (2:20), Yes they cheered when Sakurai said that Microsoft was happy for them to join Super Smash Bros, But it still made some of them look like ungrateful fanboys, Of course I would have liked Nintendo to own Banjo-Kazooie and Rare, But many of them should be grateful that Phil Spencer and Microsoft were willing to play ball even though they didn't have too, I know I am appreciative of their cooperation and have a newfound respect for them.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Here's the direct live reaction at Nintendo World NYC, But I just wanna say that I'm kinda of annoyed that some of these fans had to boo Microsoft when they were said to be the IP holder for Banjo-Kazooie even though Nintendo deserves some of the blame as well. (2:20), Yes they cheered when Sakurai said that Microsoft was happy for them to join Super Smash Bros, But it still made some of them look like ungrateful fanboys, Of course I would have liked Nintendo to own Banjo-Kazooie and Rare, But many of them should be grateful that Phil Spencer and Microsoft were willing to play ball even though they didn't have too, I know I am appreciative of their cooperation and have a newfound respect for them.
I saw that as well, and one thing to keep in mind is--they're at Nintendo World, and are Nintendo fans. To many it feels like Microsoft stole one of their favorite Nintendo characters, even though the legal realities are more complicated than that. And while I found the joke about a Nintendo broadcast advertising playing a game on Xbox One funny, I will also admit to being disappointed it wasn't an opportunity to say the original games were coming back to Nintendo. It's a bittersweet joke, because it may very well mean Banjo & Kazooie in Smash is a one-off, rather than the bear and bird coming back home. I think Microsoft/Rare should see that, recognize the ill feelings that are still there, and do what they can to make up for that perception, by not making their Smash appearance simply a one-off, but an opportunity to share the IP with Nintendo more in the future. Then we may see that negative perception subside over time. I'm satisfied with them being in Smash, but I still feel like their games belong on Nintendo--that's where the audience is, not Xbox.

All that being said, isn't it amazing the Banjo & Kazooie demonstration happened right after the Direct? That means some of the usual reactions we get with Nintendo Directs also reacted to their presentation! I've been obsessed with watching them all.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Yeah the people that go there really seem to exagerate 99% of their reactions. I mean yeah new game announcements and smash characters can be hype but they were screaming and clapping for... the team rocket mii costume. They seem to be way too caught up in the hype. But, it doesnt stop anyone else from enjoying Banjo. I do think Nintendo will get Banjo for the N64 Classic, though. It is inevitable.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Yeah M$ should use this opertunity to put all the old rare games on switch &/or in a N64 classic mini & use that to say the old games can be on nintendo & Put a banjo kazooie remaster on xbox one & a banjo threeiee on the NextBox .

after getting banjo in smash Im good if they want to keep his new games on xbox BUT would love for banjo to guest apear in more mario spin offs or a sequal/remake of diddy kong racing & to FINAL make DK racing a reality ! rare should work with nintendo still whn it comes to banjo

& as promised I got an XBONE now replaying banjo kazooie (but if you want more money from me rare let also buy it on switch ! )

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Calling all Banjo fans! I just fought a toxic troll in my arena, they used our duo! They're name is lespuMan. If you find him, destroy him! He is tarnishing Banjo's good name!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
IGN just made my mood worse. They reviewed Banjo in Smash and said their moveset feels underwhelming! And no combo potential!
IGN hasn't been relevant since 2001. BK have some nasty grenade followups and frankly don't need many combos with wonderwing on deck.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I wouldn't make a big deal seeing how pretty much any character in the game has teabaggers online that's just the way online games are, I don't teabag myself as I consider it cocky and obnoxious, Just kick their ass and comment by saying "Good Job !" Or "That was rough".
Calling all Banjo fans! I just fought a toxic troll in my arena, they used our duo! They're name is lespuMan. If you find him, destroy him! He is tarnishing Banjo's good name!

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I wouldn't make a big deal seeing how pretty much any character in the game has teabaggers online that's just the way online games are, I don't teabag myself as I consider it cocky and obnoxious, Just kick their *** and comment by saying "Good Job !" Or "That was rough".
I tried! He used the Black Knight spirit! And somehow overpowered my Shield type! I believe he was a Stevetroll making Banjo look bad on purpose!

Anyone here got the Sans costume? Because, there is an unused texture for his glowing blue eye. https://tcrf.net/File:Sans_blueeye_unused.png

Eagle

Smash Lord
Has anyone considered that if BanjoK got in, it might be better (or worse, depending on how you look at it) if they were DLC in terms of a design perspective? Cloud, Bayonetta, and Corrin are way more overloaded in their designs than the average character. Seeing King K. Rool in, I'm glad he's in but his kit is pretty basic - even having a counter on his down b. I'm just wondering how different BK would be if they were in the basegame compared to being DLC.
Damn, I was so wrong... The only thing Banjo got that wasn't basic was his Side-B. Not that I'm complaining, it's just funny looking back at this.

Again, I don't want to seem like I'm complaining but I'm wondering: what would you guys have done different had you put Banjo in yourselves?

- Give Banjo his iconic rat-a-tat-rap for his forward aerial and give it a hovering effect (moving his fair to his bair)
- Give Banjo his pack whack ability
- Put in an alt with Dragon Kazooie

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I tried! He used the Black Knight spirit! And somehow overpowered my Shield type! I believe he was a Stevetroll making Banjo look bad on purpose!
There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe this, but it's also not worth losing sleep over.

Damn, I was so wrong... The only thing Banjo got that wasn't basic was his Side-B. Not that I'm complaining, it's just funny looking back at this.

Again, I don't want to seem like I'm complaining but I'm wondering: what would you guys have done different had you put Banjo in yourselves?

- Give Banjo his iconic rat-a-tat-rap for his forward aerial and give it a hovering effect (moving his fair to his bair)
I tend to prefer simplistic characters. K. Rool and Banjo are much more fun for me than all of these unwieldy, gimmick-overloaded fighters.

I don't think I would change anything about the moveset. Pack Whack would be cool, but everything else does the job. I love that Banjo's f-air is just clocking the opponent. His intense expression while he does it sells it. I wish it spiked though.

Dragon Kazooie would have been great. A shame.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, but IGN's comments are a reflection of how a lot of pro players reacted, until they actually got their hands on it. I still think it's the wrong way to look at Banjo & Kazooie--they're a throwback to Smash 64, with some modern Smash flourishes. I'd hate it if their kit was extremely complicated--for those characters, simpler is better.

Also, I just love how not only did they have Banjo & Kazooie come out the day of the Direct, they gave them their *own* presentation, and it was afterwards, not crammed in the middle of the Direct. That's what I was worried about, and yet this way was perfect--it didn't annoy people who didn't want to watch the nitty gritty of their moves, but some watching the Direct continued to watch some of it afterwards (like Giant Bomb), and got some enjoyment out of the bear and birds presentation. That's amazing, to see people happy about Banjo & Kazooie in 2019.
I honestly don't give a damn what any of the pro players think of my favorite characters. It only matters what I think and everyone that loves those characters think.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There doesn't seem to be any reason to believe this, but it's also not worth losing sleep over.

I tend to prefer simplistic characters. K. Rool and Banjo are much more fun for me than all of these unwieldy, gimmick-overloaded fighters.

I don't think I would change anything about the moveset. Pack Whack would be cool, but everything else does the job. I love that Banjo's f-air is just clocking the opponent. His intense expression while he does it sells it. I wish it spiked though.

Dragon Kazooie would have been great. A shame.
I'm the same way, Before Ultimate I mainly used DK, Diddy Kong and Greninja, But was able to master King K. Rool and feel like he's probably my main now, But I obviously have been playing nothing but Banjo-Kazooie all week and while I was a little frustrated on trying to get a "feel" for them as fighters since I'm used to using heavier fighters with my go to fighters being King K. Rool and DK, But definitely feel like I have improved with them as I have a 78% win rate with them after 50 matches in Elite Smash and 100% in my last 10.

I will admit I am slightly disappointed that their Down Smash isn't Pack Whack since it seems like the most obvious choice, But at least Kazooie's Down Smash is very quick and great for a follow up attack on opponents right after dodging their grab, That forward Air has some serious power and is pretty much on the same level of Dr. Mario's and like you said I love seeing Banjo's pissed off face when he connects with it, Though their is a part if me that wishes Banjo used Kazooie more as melee weapon in certain attacks for better range, For example while I'm fine with their Forward Air, It would have been awesome to see Banjo swing Kazooie just like their Bregull Bash/Forward Smash in some if their Air attacks, Specifically Forward and maybe Up Air for better range.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I honestly don't give a damn what any of the pro players think of my favorite characters. It only matters what I think and everyone that loves those characters think.
It does matter to me, to a limited extent, because if pro players take a liking to Banjo & Kazooie, we can see more examples like Zackray playing them in tournaments, and even more high profile tournaments. More exposure for the bear and bird is great. Looks like Tweek, who wanted them in, while doubtful at first, is really enjoying playing them and is now feeling more comfortable with their moves. He's probably the highest pro player to watch to see if he actually picks them up. Not sure about Nairo--he wanted them in, but I think he's more skeptical of their viability. Either way, I think Banjo & Kazooie have a lot of potential in competitions if they're able to figure out how they work.

Me? I don't give a ****. I play Smash to have fun with all of my favorite video gaming characters, not to constantly be worrying over dairs and uthrows--sounds boring to me. And regardless of anybody's opinions of them, I'm going to enjoy them being in. The love in every little details show, and I'm loving all of it. It's just a plus that I see a lot of people, both casuals and pros, enjoying them as well--not everybody, but everybody is not necessary. I'll take a fun, well-balanced character to a complicated, broken character.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

I have been thinking about this lately, and I don't want people to think I'm complaining either, but if they do become veterans for a future Smash installment (which I hope to Sakurai will happen on both cases), a few things I'd like to see would be:

- The third jump for their Feathery Flap I would keep Kazooie out longer to give Banjo & Kazooie a bit more horizontal recovery like in their original games. Kinda feels weird without it lol.
- Kazooie should definitely be out when Banjo back flips so its more like their Flap Flip maneuver.
- Make their dash attack slide a bit more and have Kazooie covering Banjo with her wings like in Banjo-Tooie.
- Agreed that Pack Whack should be their down smash, act similar to Shulk's down smash
- Add Egg Select to the repertoire on their Neutral and Down Specials by holding down the B button to fire a Fire, Ice, Clockwork Kazooie, or Grenade Egg, giving them a bit more powerful choices in their projectile game. I find the Blue Egg great for camping opponents off stage and keeping them guessing but it kind of sucks not having a more powerful projectile that can finish off opponents like Samus' charge shot and more specifically Pac-Man's Bonus Fruit. It could make them a bit more complicated, but I think it'd be a good addition to their meta. In fact, for their Down Special, it'd be nice to have three blue eggs come out behind them like in the original games, could be a devastating edgeguard.
- I kinda agree that their forward and back aerials should be reversed, but at the same time I don't mind how they are now. That forward aerial Banjo has is a freaking KILLER. In fact, I love how fast and powerful they are already in game. Their smash and aerial moves are freaking devastating and I really wasn't expecting that for them. Also love how slightly taller than Mario they are. They seem to look and feel so perfectly in Smash.
- Add either a port or remix of Gruntilda's Lair, Click Clock Wood (Spring), and the Final Battle (Gruntilda) and their soundtrack selections would be the absolute best of all the franchises!

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm surprised that their character page is still down on the Smash site. Also, there goes the theory the page wasn't available for months because they didn't want to spoil one of their alts being Dragon Kazooie.

I would've had a few different egg types available to go with the grenade eggs(Ice, Fire, Clockwork) Just to mix things up and add a bit of variety. Varying effects/damage. Have the Clockwork Kazooie egg shoot out at random, a la Peach pulling out a Bob Omb in place of a turnip, then functioning similar to the Bowser Jr. Mechakoopa. But then again, ice and fire eggs don't bounce, though a bit of creative liberty could be used there. That would be my only change.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'm surprised that their character page is still down on the Smash site. Also, there goes the theory the page wasn't available for months because they didn't want to spoil one of their alts being Dragon Kazooie.
It's the site staff, wouldn't be the first time they'd be incompetent interns, won't be the last.

That being said, the page works for me.

Last edited:

Gekkouga

Smash Cadet
I hate the "plz be unique and gimmicky!!!" sentiment. It leads to a snowball effect which would keep making the original melee and n64 characters into a more basic and outdated state than the one they're already in. I'm glad Banjo and Kaz are just normal characters with a dash of unique features.

But I hate the stupidly competitive reputation as a way to dismiss the character even more. i mean BOY.. these kids don't even play competitive to begin with- hell they barely reach 300k on Online. Why should they care about B-K potentially being mid/low tier? Even if they're playing mf Joker they will still be azz lol

But it's undeniable that being bad competitvely hampers the popularity of a character altogether, which is stupid, but also true and sad. I don't care anyway, even if others don't enjoy our character, I know I always will. Been waiting for soooo many years to be feeling a certain way now.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I'm glad their moves are basic--they're all referencing, or variations, of their abilities in their games, and I prefer that to an overly complicated moveset. However, I have some ideas.

- Keep their down special Rear Egg, but if you hold it down, it cycles through all of their Tooie eggs, with an icon of which egg by their percentage. Fire Eggs burn, Ice Eggs temporarily freeze opponents, Clockwork Kazooie Eggs work similar to Bowser Jr.'s mecha koopas. Egg Firing will always shoot Blue Eggs, but they should be long range, with diminishing effectiveness the farther they go.
- If you're only going to have golden feathers, their feather limit should always be visible by their percentage indicator. It's confusing with it popping over their heads when in use. If not, add red feathers, but they're used for their forward air, Beak Bomb. Like Wonderwing, it's more useful for horizontal recovery, but less powerful. I think I prefer that to another Rat-a-Tat Rap--however, if no Beak Bomb, then their forward air should be Rat-a-Tat Rap, with their back air being Pack Whack.
- Their back throw should have been Taxi Pack--while the opponent is trapped in the bag, it has an animation showing Kazooie beating them up in their while being spun, before being flung out.
- When Banjo does his backflip, it should be more like Flap Flip--I'm not seeing it, despite its mention in the demo.

All that having been said, I'm pretty satisfied with their moveset overall, and I also don't expect much changes, even if they become a returning veteran (the Xbox joke, and given how many DLC characters we may get, their chances are small, even though I feel like, being N64 icons, they should be prioritized). The only changes I feel like they should make are a) put their feather meter always visible by their percentage meter, and make their eggs long range, but less effective at longer ranges, so it doesn't look as awkward as it does now. Every other move is great, and shows the attention to detail they did to closely follow the games--I especially love that their jumps can be used after Shock Spring Jump, and having multiple jumps.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, would you look at that, the character stack I posted got updated.

Thing's gonna be really tall by the end, I can feel it.

Edit: Aaaaaand the account's tweets are protected now. Since when is linking to artwork considered reposting, smh.

Edit 2: Oh, it's back up, never mind.

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I'll admit i was initially underwhelmed w Banjo's moveset..... but not any more. HOLY ****

Its all about the grenade egg. Jump up and launch it behind you towards your opponent.

Their jab is also outstanding. It's incredibly quick, with fantastic range.

Normal eggs (not when he's holding kazooie like a gun) are fantastic edgeguarding options. I've cucked so many ppl at low health aha. Works especially great on Ness/Lucas and Hero.

Just got into Elite; he's deff my new main. Guh-huh

BZocky

Smash Ace
Looks like the residents of the Spiral Mountain stage got uploaded to the models resource by Centrixe!
Here's my first attempt at giving Mumbo a fancy new render.

Full Image
The Smash team did a great job with redesigning the cast. You can download the models here. Just scroll all the way down to the Stage Elements section.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Another thing I would like to see if Banjo & Kazooie returns in the next Smash is another Banjo-Kazooie rep or Rare rep. If we ever get unique secondary 3rd party characters in the roster, I would love to see Gruntilda make it in.

Hopefully Gruntilda can team up with K. Rool against DK and Banjo & Kazooie in Smash someday.

Edit: Damn! I was typing this on mobile and I was trying to reply to the TheZoologist TheZoologist but instead I accidentally replyed to CosmicQuark CosmicQuark . My phone is acting up.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord

The only thing I would've added is more Egg types than just the Grenade Egg. Maybe with a means of switching between them. Otherwise, they're pretty much golden!

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
I want Banjo & Dragon Kazooie to be Banjo's Echo fighter

There standard B can breathing fire like bowser
Hold be can be FPS move but with fire eggs & dose more damage
Down B can be clock work kazooie eggs
703.jpeg

Top Bottom