• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
*looks at page*

That’s a fake Steve fan.

I’m a Steve fan and can verify.
No real Minecraft fan would actually use Grotesque Steve as a picture for something like that. That's like if we were using N&B Banjo to campaign or if Bomberman fans used that one awful "reboot" version.

1563468079679.png

You don't do that if you want people to take you seriously. :joyful:

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
This has to be one of the Steveposters on /v/. I mean it even uses the "Steve yes the Steve from Minecraft" copy pasta that all those posts used. And saying that Banjo appeals to the newer fans and not the older fans is just silly
I know! But, I am not joining in to harass him. I do not do that unless they harass me. I like Minecraft, considering on getting it on Switch.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Stumbled upon this beauty while browsing randomly today XD

e56.png

The caption read "Honey, you mean Guh-Hunkules"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
maf91186 maf91186 Yeah, saw Krazy retweet that. Bit of an unusual reference, but it's real well-made.

No real Minecraft fan would actually use Grotesque Steve as a picture for something like that. That's like if we were using N&B Banjo to campaign or if Bomberman fans used that one awful "reboot" version.

You don't do that if you want people to take you seriously. :joyful:
Nice reference.

That said, given the relative lack of loud clamor for Steve prior to Ultimate's announcement, I still think he missed the boat. Especially concerning the Mojang side, I only recall hearing about a staffer who believes that Steve isn't in the game, and some Minecon employees who were shocked when asked about Smash possibilities.

A costume or two might be likely, though.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

View attachment 231798

I, uh... I'm not okay. I need some time to process this one.

But yeah, it's the internet, so it doesn't surprise me that the weirdest references are actually really well-made.

Nice reference.

That said, given the relative lack of loud clamor for Steve prior to Ultimate's announcement, I still think he missed the boat. Especially concerning the Mojang side, I only recall hearing about a staffer who believes that Steve isn't in the game, and some Minecon employees who were shocked when asked about Smash possibilities.

A costume or two might be likely, though.
I've said this before, but if the deal with Microsoft was as easy on their side as Phil Spencer made it sound and no one steps backwards, we might get both Banjo and Steve for next Smash.

"Muh relevance" and "muh sales" arguments aside, it's an influential series and Sakurai is a fan, to boot.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've said this before, but if the deal with Microsoft was as easy on their side as Phil Spencer made it sound and no one steps backwards, we might get both Banjo and Steve for next Smash.

"Muh relevance" and "muh sales" arguments aside, it's an influential series and Sakurai is a fan, to boot.
Right, although there's no guarantees if it concerns making it in the pass. Just don't feel burnt if nothing actually happens. After all, we spent an entire Smash game with only a single Namco character, despite being buddy-buddy with Nintendo. :ultpacman:

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Right, although there's no guarantees if it concerns making it in the pass. Just don't feel burnt if nothing actually happens. After all, we spent an entire Smash game with only a single Namco character, despite being buddy-buddy with Nintendo. :ultpacman:
Oh, I'm aware. I'm not even Steve supporter per se, though I do think he has potential.

And my man Pac sitting alone in the corner of the room... c'mon, Sakurai, where's his big reunion with a friend?

Jokes aside, I think Namco may not be in the Pass, either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, I'm aware. I'm not even Steve supporter per se, though I do think he has potential.

And my man Pac sitting alone in the corner of the room... c'mon, Sakurai, where's his big reunion with a friend?

Jokes aside, I think Namco may not be in the Pass, either.
Yeah, I can agree on all those points. Poor Heihachi fans in particular just don't realise that the guy's actually been super-deconfirmed, and they still hope for him to be in here.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I can agree on all those points. Poor Heihachi fans in particular just don't realise that the guy's actually been super-deconfirmed, and they still hope for him to be in here.
To be fair, he's been deconfirmed in a similar manner to Animal Crossing being "too peaceful" or Ridley's "too big". It all depends on whether or not Sakurai managed to think up a way to translate Heihachi to 2D faithfully.

I have a gut feeling we're getting a fighting game character as our last DLC. If not Heihachi or Kazuya (if the above conditions are met), then a character from SNK. Most likely Kyo or Terry.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be fair, he's been deconfirmed in a similar manner to Animal Crossing being "too peaceful" or Ridley's "too big". It all depends on whether or not Sakurai managed to think up a way to translate Heihachi to 2D faithfully.

I have a gut feeling we're getting a fighting game character as our last DLC. If not Heihachi or Kazuya (if the above condidions are met), then a character from SNK. Most likely Kyo or Terry.
Well, there's also the fact that his most recent Japanese voice actor died (shortly after doing Incineroar for Ultimate, no less), and all...And we all know how higher-ups in Japan make sure not to hire substitutes right away, so that people can get used to the idea of the VA not being around anymore. :(

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If I may throw my hat into this Heihachi thing:

The thing about Tekken is that it was a 3D fighting game. The way it's played makes translating it into Smash feel pretty difficult. After all, having Heihachi treat every stage like a Tekken stage and rolling into the background/foreground would be super OP. But on the other hand, there's also the fact that Tekken has pre-made combo strings that players can use. So giving Heihachi a mechanic where he can use unique attacks based on which attack inputs are used in which order would spice things up and give that feeling of Tekken while still being in Smash. Problem solved, right?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Well, there's also the fact that his most recent Japanese voice actor died (shortly after doing Incineroar for Ultimate, no less), and all...And we all know how higher-ups in Japan make sure not to hire substitutes right away, so that people can get used to the idea of the VA not being around anymore. :(
Well, if memory serves, this voice actor was the fourth Heihachi has had. So it can go either way, really.

Apparently, it was right after Tekken 7, too...

If I may throw my hat into this Heihachi thing:

The thing about Tekken is that it was a 3D fighting game. The way it's played makes translating it into Smash feel pretty difficult. After all, having Heihachi treat every stage like a Tekken stage and rolling into the background/foreground would be super OP. But on the other hand, there's also the fact that Tekken has pre-made combo strings that players can use. So giving Heihachi a mechanic where he can use unique attacks based on which attack inputs are used in which order would spice things up and give that feeling of Tekken while still being in Smash. Problem solved, right?
Sorta. There's still the 3D limb system, which is different from Street Fighter's. But your idea is good - what we don't know is whether or not Sakurai and Bandai Namco would do it like that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, if memory serves, this voice actor was the fourth Heihachi has had. So it can go either way, really.

Apparently, it was right after Tekken 7, too...

Sorta. There's still the 3D limb system, which is different from Street Fighter's. But your idea is good - what we don't know is whether or not Sakurai and Bandai Namco would do it like that.
We don't know what'll come of it. The latest Tekken entry last year was on mobile, so I don't think that got any voice acting.

In any case, if implementing the series' mechanics is as much of a challenge as shrinking Ridley and still making him work to not be too awkward-looking, it probably will take Smash 6 to make it happen.

Also, let's consider Ultimate's tight release schedule, so it's likely that we couldn't have both Ridley and Heihachi at once, so it had to be one or the other.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think you’re being overly confrontational on a light hearted post. Especially if we both agree he isn’t a ‘literal who’.

As I said, I wasn’t trying to ‘wow’ you lot with a fresh, objective, take. I just shared one of the first things I saw in a game store in the relevant forum cause it amused me.
Well, it was certainly framed in a way to dispel a narrative.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Even though I'm probably one of the bigger Steve detractors, I try to make a distinction between the genuine fans and the trolls. I admit, at the beginning, I was dead certain that the only people who wanted Steve were trolls, because it felt like such a meme character. However, after meeting some genuine Steve fans here, I've realized there are good, honest fans of Minecraft who think Steve would make a good character. And I feel like it's good to be able to disagree while respecting those with differing opinions--one of the reasons why I've toned down my criticisms back before the Grinch fiasco. And I also recognize my own "flaws"--being too overprotective over a roster, when it's not mine, it's everyone's, and ultimately up to Sakurai.

I put flaws in quotes, because while I should refrain from being too overprotective, I still think it's healthy to have both positive and critical views on characters, so long as it's done tastefully.

View attachment 231798

Yeah, I saw that a while back. I laughed, despite my intense dislike of the shipping of Banjo and Kazooie, because one of the things I like about Banjo-Kazooie is there's no love interest, and while there's a damsel in distress, they play around with the trope enough to make it unique. I'll allow it for this, because I think it's well done, and

I believe this is still the part of the movie where Meg is antagonistic and deceitful.

Of course, it's the internet and anybody can ship anyone, and I generally support it. I just like the wholesomeness of their friendship to where I try to avoid that, usually.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
That fandom wiki I linked earlier, yeah, been reading it. It's about toxcity and hatred in tons of fandoms, not just video games either. I just read something that got me angry. I read that toxic Sony fans said, on the sad day we lost Satoru Iwata, that he deserved it! We must find the ones who said that and tell them that, we hope Sony fails!

Plus, toxcity about how there are still haters who think Steve or Master Chief are better choices than Banjo!

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
That fandom wiki I linked earlier, yeah, been reading it. It's about toxcity and hatred in tons of fandoms, not just video games either. I just read something that got me angry. I read that toxic Sony fans said, on the sad day we lost Satoru Iwata, that he deserved it! We must find the ones who said that and tell them that, we hope Sony fails!

Plus, toxcity about how there are still haters who think Steve or Master Chief are better choices than Banjo!
I think we all need to learn to just chill out and stop worrying about any potential haters of any kind. Let them poison themselves. Besides, much like not every Steve fan is trouble, not every Sony fan is a bad person.
I just so happen to be an avid fan of both those AND Nintendo. You might also be surprised to learn that there are even some Microsoft ip's I'm quite fond of as well :)

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I think we all need to learn to just chill out and stop worrying about any potential haters of any kind. Let them poison themselves. Besides, much like not every Steve fan is trouble, not every Sony fan is a bad person.
I just so happen to be an avid fan of both those AND Nintendo. You might also be surprised to learn that there are even some Microsoft ip's I'm quite fond of as well :)
I know. It also talks about the Sony and Steve fans that are respectful and listen to opinions. In a good way that is.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace

I have a gut feeling we're getting a fighting game character as our last DLC. If not Heihachi or Kazuya (if the above conditions are met), then a character from SNK. Most likely Kyo or Terry.
People were talking about MK11 coming to the Switch. Any chance Scorpion or Sub Zero are in the running of that gamut?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People were talking about MK11 coming to the Switch. Any chance Scorpion or Sub Zero are in the running of that gamut?
It's a bit uncertain. Even if the series has its fans in Japan despite the ratings board getting in the way these days, it's likely that the Lin Kuei didn't get quite as much demand as our Banjos and Genos, so they didn't get brought up too much in regards to speculation..

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Anyone going to check out that toxic fandoms wiki? It has lots of reasons why they're toxic. And redeeming, non toxic ones. Just curious. (And yes, Minecraft's article still has toxic Steve fans still wanting him in alongside Banjo.)

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Anyone going to check out that toxic fandoms wiki? It has lots of reasons why they're toxic. And redeeming, non toxic ones. Just curious. (And yes, Minecraft's article still has toxic Steve fans still wanting him in alongside Banjo.)
There's enough negativity on the internet - I'm not about to go and intentionally look for more of it. (plus every fandom is going to have some segment that's overly toxic or negative, no matter how large or how small)

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
There's enough negativity on the internet - I'm not about to go and intentionally look for more of it. (plus every fandom is going to have some segment that's overly toxic or negative, no matter how large or how small)
Well, you could still check it at some point if you get bored.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Mortal Kombat is in a far different situation from Animal Crossing or Metroid. It's illegal to sell Mortal Kombat in Japan since they have a stricter law on violence, most likely due to the fatalities showing dismemberment of a person since Doom can still be sold. If Nintendo can't sell Mortal Kombat on the Switch in Japan, there isn't much point of releasing them as Fighters pass characters.

It's sad though because they would finally get the chance to throw down with Ryu and Ken.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
over a month has gone by, and I still find myself absorbing sustenance from reaction videos to banjo being revealed. I may have stayed up way too late last night watching an hour long compilation Of reactions. I normally don't care about reactions, but the second hand happiness I feel is insane, The fact that they're excited about something that I also happen to be extremely excited about is just a bonus.

I'm running out of material to watch though, so I've started popping into Blind Let's Plays of Banjo-Kazooie I don't watch the whole thing, I just kind of move forward to grunty's furnace fun. Partly because I want to see how people react to such a surprising Final stretch of the game. And also it's a pretty good way to see how much of an impact the game made on the player when they can remember everything grunty asks them about. it's also interesting how many people aren't even a little bit curious About the Joker squares.

https://toxicfandomsandhatedoms.miraheze.org/wiki/Super_Smash_Bros._Fandom

I actually found a wiki on fandoms... Man, people make wikis of anything!
IMG_20190409_111801.jpg

Oof.. do we really need a wiki document the actions of a fandoms bad eggs? all it really serves to do Is vilify the fandom as a whole. People really throw the word "Toxic" around so freely these days that it's meaning has diminished. You cant even be critical of a video game trailer without being called "A tOxIc eNtItLeD FaN!"

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm replaying Banjo-Tooie through the Xbox 360 version, and after hatching all of the Stop N Swop eggs, Banjo comments that Rare will definitely make a new Banjo-Kazooie game before their twentieth anniversary. That reminded me that the anniversary in question has already gone by, which means that line has aged TERRIBLY, but at least we got Banjo in Smash Bros., which sort of makes up for it.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I'm replaying Banjo-Tooie through the Xbox 360 version, and after hatching all of the Stop N Swop eggs, Banjo comments that Rare will definitely make a new Banjo-Kazooie game before their twentieth anniversary. That reminded me that the anniversary in question has already gone by, which means that line has aged TERRIBLY, but at least we got Banjo in Smash Bros., which sort of makes up for it.
Oh yes! It does! And it is glorious!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I mean I'd love a new Banjo game, but I personally play Smash a lot longer than any one game (I'll be playing Ultimate until the Switch is phased out or a new Smash comes out), so I'll get more mileage out of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. Of course they became such beloved characters to me because I played their original game, so I would love a new game or a neato Spyro-esque remake too.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Not sure if this has been brought up, but just discovered a really neat music level based off of Grant's Super Smash Bros re-mix of Spiral Mountain in Mario Maker: F69-K9Q-RKF

Really neat, and I love how they use a variety of different stuff to make the sounds.

EDIT:

Here's video of it, for those without Mario Maker.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Just thought of a problem involving Banjo: If Humba Wumba does get a Spirit, SJWs are probably going to complain. I know this was talked about before, but, I am worried that those SJWs may try to get Nintendo to remove Banjo from Smash all together. (I know that won't happen, just a worry though.)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Just thought of a problem involving Banjo: If Humba Wumba does get a Spirit, SJWs are probably going to complain. I know this was talked about before, but, I am worried that those SJWs may try to get Nintendo to remove Banjo from Smash all together. (I know that won't happen, just a worry though.)
There won't be anybody trying to get Nintendo to remove Banjo & Kazooie, I feel like that's a fear not worth fretting about. I do think that there will be some people who will complain, but it will be small or relatively non-existent, like the Kotaku incident with Joker (though, in that instance, there was literally nothing there). Plus, apparently those who do not like the old design, like the new one (really, I would think the thing most people would have a problem with would be her name), so they might opt to use the newer design, though I'm not personally a fan of it. Either way, I expect little to nothing in terms of controversy.

Top Bottom