• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Sora without Donald and Goofy in some form loses a lot of what makes Sora, well Sora.

On that note, if Sora got in and Donald and Goofy came along as spirits. A black furred Banjo and white feathered Kazooie with a magic wand and that reflector shield would be a perfect spirit battle for a Donald and Goofy spirit.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
/https://www.dualshockers.com/banjo-kazooie-composer-new-game-thoughts/

Grant Kirkhope thinks the only way there will be a new Banjo game is if another studio takes on the project. *cough* *RETRO* *cough*
Yeah, he's got the right stance on this. Current Rare is too busy with their pirate fetish to do anything else, so an outsider seems like the right way to go with.

However, Retro's super-busy with MP4 and presumably the next DKC, so I'm not sure if they'd be assigned to that at all.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'd rather you didn't bring that conversation to this thread. There's a Pokémon thread in the general Gaming section we have that would be better suited.
Nice job handling it, but I'll take partial blame there too. A few pages back the topic did ere towards Pokémon, albeit it a way that it was brought up in a tangentially related topic and a few others users (myself included) chimed in with thoughts on the recent Sword and Shield controversies. Banjoisawesome2020 Banjoisawesome2020 even apologized for accidentally starting a Pokémon topic, and I assured him it was cool since many of us were partaking and nobody was complaining about going off topic for about a quarter to a half of a page. After that the topic drifted back to Banjo again.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
My two cents on the Sora situation: I still think Sora could very well be one of the two remaining DLC Fighters. He could be a unique fighter, and as others have pointed out, there's plenty of original content in the series to not have to bring in direct references to Disney properties, and Sakurai is aware of the KH series and its popularity. Really, the only issue I can see is if Disney actually tries to push their properties into the game; THAT might be problematic, but nothing I've seen suggests that they would do that. And honestly, I could live with only the original content. Hell, one of the most popular characters in the series is Axel, a completely original character.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
/https://www.dualshockers.com/banjo-kazooie-composer-new-game-thoughts/

Grant Kirkhope thinks the only way there will be a new Banjo game is if another studio takes on the project. *cough* *RETRO* *cough*

I know everyone has their suspicion with Playtonic, but Honestly I genuinely believe they could redeem themselves if given the chance to work on a New Banjo game, Yooka-Laylee is its own thing, but they know what Banjo-Kazooie is so I say let them give it a go.

It'd be better than Microsoft's attempt at a new Banjo game at least.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
My two cents on the Sora situation: I still think Sora could very well be one of the two remaining DLC Fighters. He could be a unique fighter, and as others have pointed out, there's plenty of original content in the series to not have to bring in direct references to Disney properties, and Sakurai is aware of the KH series and its popularity. Really, the only issue I can see is if Disney actually tries to push their properties into the game; THAT might be problematic, but nothing I've seen suggests that they would do that. And honestly, I could live with only the original content. Hell, one of the most popular characters in the series is Axel, a completely original character.
I'm on the fence. On one hand, Kingdom Hearts as a franchise was objectively sold on the premise of being a bizarrely magical mash up between the Final Fantasy series and Disney IPs. Take half of that away and your left with a hypothetical Smash character that's standing in as essentially another FF Rep where we pretend the Disney aspect has no bearing on the series at all, which therefor might make it hard to make Sora look unique compared to all the other sword wielders and now multiple sword/magic combo users like Robin, Cloud, and Hero (And maybe Shulk to a far lesser extend, seeing as he has a glowy sword and a lot of airy slash moves that Sora would probably also have.). It could be done, but it'd be a tall order, and I do feel it's disingenuous to claim that the Disney influence isn't big enough in the series roots to completely ignore lest you betray part of what makes Kingdom Hearts, well, Kingdom Hearts. (The "Kingdoms" in the title literally referring to the Disney worlds.). Even if we had a stage that was purely created for the KH series, his spirits only reference Sora, Riku, the Organization, and other KH originals (Who all look very samey in the spiky haired anime swords guys department might I add. That is to say they might look a little bland mashed all together as the Kingdom Hearts representation.), All of Soras moves are KH originals (easy to do tbh.), I feel like there would almost have to be minimal Disney reference, such as Sora's Mickey Keychain, or Donald and Goofy showing up for a few seconds in the Final Smash, assuming the Smash team was so Disney averse they wouldn't even allow them to be background characters in the stage like Joker's Phantom Thieves.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Nice job handling it, but I'll take partial blame there too. A few pages back the topic did ere towards Pokémon, albeit it a way that it was brought up in a tangentially related topic and a few others users (myself included) chimed in with thoughts on the recent Sword and Shield controversies. Banjoisawesome2020 Banjoisawesome2020 even apologized for accidentally starting a Pokémon topic, and I assured him it was cool since many of us were partaking and nobody was complaining about going off topic for about a quarter to a half of a page. After that the topic drifted back to Banjo again.
You are a nice person.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
I know everyone has their suspicion with Playtonic, but Honestly I genuinely believe they could redeem themselves if given the chance to work on a New Banjo game, Yooka-Laylee is its own thing, but they know what Banjo-Kazooie is so I say let them give it a go.

It'd be better than Microsoft's attempt at a new Banjo game at least.
Unfortunately I disagree. Playtonic was given the chance to make a modern sequel to Banjo-Tooie and instead they made.... an OK sequel to Kazooie if the current history/progression of 3D platformers didn't exist. It was like Playtonic learned nothing from Sunshine, Galaxy, Psychonauts, etc... even Tooie!

IMO, I'd want a hungry studio (like Gears For Breakfast who did Hat in Time) that learned from Odyssey and other revolutionary games to take a refreshed stab at the bear and bird's next adventure.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, since things are dead overall until Fall happens, if anyone wants custom icons, Krazy opened up his commissions again.

https://twitter.com/KrazyBonesTV

IMO, I'd want a hungry studio (like Gears For Breakfast who did Hat in Time) that learned from Odyssey and other revolutionary games to take a refreshed stab at the bear and bird's next adventure.
This person gets it. Hell, just look at Streets of Rage 4, none of that is done by any Sega-related companies, but a team up between the guys who did the Dragon's Trap remake and devs who did a beat 'em up on Xbox Live, of all things. And then there's WayForward working on the new River City/Kunio-Kun.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Sorry to interrupt the discussion (which for what it's worth, I think Sora would still be super cool with or without Donald and Goofy), but I have some exciting news! I received a letter in my mailbox today from some little company called Nintendo regarding the fan letter that we mailed to them last month! (Full imgur album updated, https://imgur.com/a/wKJ7Pwe)

IMG_6594.JPG

Letter 2.jpg

Letter 1.jpg

While admittedly a part of me is bummed the letter doesn't mention Banjo-Kazooie by name, Nintendo doesn't own them, so maybe they can't. It's definitely not an automated response letter though as it specifically references the dreams put forth in the letter and comments on the artwork submitted with the letter. (Thanks again guys! Looks like your art might make some rounds at Nintendo! All four of you were credited in the letter and linked to your official pages, so maybe they'll reach out to you, or at least get your presence out there!) I'm overall super excited and pleased we got a letter in return!

In summary thus far:
- Grant Kirkhope has seen our letter digitally and seems extremely pleased with it all.
- Phil Spencer has seen our letter digitally and forwarded it to his contacts at Nintendo and Rare.
- Steve Mayles has seen our letter digitally.
- Nintendo has replied to the 200 page snail mail Thank You Letter.

All that's left is Microsoft or Rare's reply. I'll keep a look out in my mailbox!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Sorry to interrupt the discussion (which for what it's worth, I think Sora would still be super cool with or without Donald and Goofy), but I have some exciting news! I received a letter in my mailbox today from some little company called Nintendo regarding the fan letter that we mailed to them last month! (Full imgur album updated, https://imgur.com/a/wKJ7Pwe)

While admittedly a part of me is bummed the letter doesn't mention Banjo-Kazooie by name, Nintendo doesn't own them, so maybe they can't. It's definitely not an automated response letter though as it specifically references the dreams put forth in the letter and comments on the artwork submitted with the letter. (Thanks again guys! Looks like your art might make some rounds at Nintendo! All four of you were credited in the letter and linked to your official pages, so maybe they'll reach out to you, or at least get your presence out there!) I'm overall super excited and pleased we got a letter in return!

In summary thus far:
- Grant Kirkhope has seen our letter digitally and seems extremely pleased with it all.
- Phil Spencer has seen our letter digitally and forwarded it to his contacts at Nintendo and Rare.

All that's left is Microsoft or Rare's reply. I'll keep a look out in my mailbox!
Damn, that's awesome! I wouldn't have thought they'd actually reply, let alone with a hand written letter. It's also cool that they explicitly mentioned how they'll use the comments therein to make judgements on their plans for the future. If I'd have known they'd take it that seriously, my thank you probably would have been less automated myself. I would have put more heart and soul into it, and I totally wouldn't just copypasta the Navy SEAL copypasta into the comment section of the thank you and giggle to myself knowing that would be locked in a Nintendo vault forever.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I received a letter in my mailbox today from some little company called Nintendo regarding the fan letter that we mailed to them last month! (Full imgur album updated, https://imgur.com/a/wKJ7Pwe)

*snip*

In summary thus far:

Thank you for posting this. It's nice to think that Krazy's art will become a part of official history now, so here's to hoping he'll be notified by them in the coming months.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium

"Sakurai Said no 4th party characters in smash bros"

THEN EXPLAIN A 5TH PARTY CHARACTER AKA A REAL LIFE HUMAN PERSON WHO HAS BEEN IN SINCE BRAWL Dr Kawashima !
Kawashima.jpg
Dr-Kawashima.jpg

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555

THEN EXPLAIN A 5TH PARTY CHARACTER AKA A REAL LIFE HUMAN PERSON WHO HAS BEEN IN SINCE BRAWL Dr Kawashima

You fool don't you understand? Dr. Kawashima has Ascended, he is no longer a Real person, he has become apart of the virtual world now.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

THEN EXPLAIN A 5TH PARTY CHARACTER AKA A REAL LIFE HUMAN PERSON WHO HAS BEEN IN SINCE BRAWL Dr Kawashima !View attachment 231492 View attachment 231493
You fool don't you understand? Dr. Kawashima has Ascended, he is no longer a Real person, he has become apart of the virtual world now.
He gets around it by being the stylized video game version of himself.

Maybe.
"I don't get it
How can it be
If I'm sitting at home when I'm inside the screen?

But you're not you!
You're your digital you!
Virtually real, but controlled by real you!

But if he's not quite real, then I'm not real, too!
And your not real you is inside your real you!"

Boy, do I miss that show...

Terrydactyland post coming... tomorrow. Maybe. If I'm still real me by then.

Last edited:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
"I don't get it
How can it be
If I'm sitting at home when I'm inside the screen?

But you're not you!
You're your digital you!
Virtually real, but controlled by real you!

But if he's not quite real, then I'm not real, too!
And your not real you is inside your real you!"
You win, 10/10

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Have you played the games?
I haven't played the games but I have watched a full playthrough of Kingdom Hearts 1 and Kingdom Hearts 3. I can't play them because I don't have a PS4.

THEN EXPLAIN A 5TH PARTY CHARACTER AKA A REAL LIFE HUMAN PERSON WHO HAS BEEN IN SINCE BRAWL Dr Kawashima !View attachment 231492 View attachment 231493
G Guynamednelson then stylized video game version of himself mike tyson has a chance !
View attachment 231520
He's from Nintendo published and developed games so he gets away with it. Mike Tyson is too but they'd have to go through licensing to use his likeness.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
IT IS DONE.

Well, as done as I think it can be! Thank you to everyone who showed interest in my Collab last month, I'm sorry for being so late (Life happens what can I say!) and I apologize if I missed you in the collab, with so many replies in a huge pool of hype I couldn't swim fast enough so to speak...

But anyway! even if you aren't present in the collab via an avatar, just remember that you were apart of this crazy Roller Coaster that was Banjo-Kazooie for Smash! And I'm glad I could of shared this moment with all of you! I hope this moment of Glory will forever be immortalized in this Piece of Bad Art!

Thanks again and once Autumn comes rolling in, It'll be time to train! GUH-HUH!

Smashboards Banjo collab.jpg

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...doesnt_know_if_theres_a_market_for_a_new_game

So there, Kirkhope hits the nail on the head, for everything concerning BK's current fate.

He's from Nintendo published and developed games so he gets away with it. Mike Tyson is too but they'd have to go through licensing to use his likeness.
Also, it's a really liberal interpretation of Kawashima. You don't see him as a 3-D floating head with an alternate devil form in real life, right? He counts as much as a "5th party" as Dr. Wright. No one in their right mind expects them to be playable.

Besides, why would Mike Tyson be needed when the modern version of Mr. Sandman works just as well?

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...doesnt_know_if_theres_a_market_for_a_new_game

So there, Kirkhope hits the nail on the head, for everything concerning BK's current fate.
One would think with the humongous reaction to their inclusion in Smash that there is in fact a market for a new Banjo-Kazooie game. At this point, though, I really just want a port or remaster of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie on the Nintendo Switch. If they give me that, along with the unbridled joy of their inclusion (and hopefully return for future iterations as full-fledged veterans!) in Smash, I'll be completely content.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
IT IS DONE.

Well, as done as I think it can be! Thank you to everyone who showed interest in my Collab last month, I'm sorry for being so late (Life happens what can I say!) and I apologize if I missed you in the collab, with so many replies in a huge pool of hype I couldn't swim fast enough so to speak...

But anyway! even if you aren't present in the collab via an avatar, just remember that you were apart of this crazy Roller Coaster that was Banjo-Kazooie for Smash! And I'm glad I could of shared this moment with all of you! I hope this moment of Glory will forever be immortalized in this Piece of Bad Art!

View attachment 231528
Its....perfect!
1559669996845.gif

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Unfortunately I disagree. Playtonic was given the chance to make a modern sequel to Banjo-Tooie and instead they made.... an OK sequel to Kazooie if the current history/progression of 3D platformers didn't exist. It was like Playtonic learned nothing from Sunshine, Galaxy, Psychonauts, etc... even Tooie!

I've said this many times, but it bears repeating that I feel like most of the problems with Yooka-Laylee was the fact they had to build a company from scratch, 3D platformers are ridiculously more difficult to make than 2D platformers (which is why they should have done something like The Impossible Lair first, but nobody would have crowdfunded it the way a "new Banjo-like game" would). The main issues is the empty worlds, lack of polish, lack of variety in the enemies, essentially lack of stuff--all things that come from not being a big studio with the capabilities of making a modern 3D platformer. The good stuff were the stuff that's less money-based, and more creative-base--the designs of Yooka & Laylee are great, the characters, the music.

I trust Playtonic much more than Rare, or even a company that Rare entrusts with the IP. So long as they had the time and resources. Yooka-Laylee's main issue was not being "Banjo & Kazooie", a hurdle that would be gone as instead of making a new game from scratch, they can build on the worlds, characters and abilities of the previous two games. And while it's certainly not a popular opinion, Yooka-Laylee was much more fun than Mario Odyssey. Odyssey was so by the books, and a lot of the things I liked about Odyssey, were the stuff they took from the original Banjo-Kazooie and games that have done it better before. Mario Odyssey felt like a bland, generic 3D platformer, rather than an actual Mario game, whereas Yooka-Laylee at least had the character designs and music that made me really happy and nostalgic about the old games, while still providing some new things.

EDIT: And given how much love those at Playtonic still have for Banjo-Kazooie, what cannot be said about those still at Rare, I'm glad that they're trying their best to do what they can to fill in the void left by Rare ignoring Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The problem with Playtonic/Yooka-Laylee is that they didn't have the man who actually designed the original Banjo games. Like Grant literally says in the interview there:

“I have no connection to that decision what-so-ever. Gregg Mayles and Tim Stamper are the real inventors of Banjo… I’m just the most visible on social media.”
I always felt that Yooka-Laylee did a decent enough job of sounding and looking like a Banjo game, which is to be expected because of Steve Mayles' and Grant Kirkhope's involvement, but as far as actually feeling and playing like one, it fell flat, and it makes sense when you consider that Gregg was the guy who provided the core design and structure of Kazooie and Tooie. And he had nothing to do with Yooka, due to, you know, still being at Rare.

Chris Sutherland (who took Gregg's spot as the lead designer for YL) is a talented guy, but his thing was always programming, not design, and it really shows.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
IT IS DONE.

View attachment 231528
I like how my character's monobrow is being pulled up. This is amazing!

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The problem with Playtonic/Yooka-Laylee is that they didn't have the man who actually designed the original Banjo games. Like Grant literally says in the interview there:

I always felt that Yooka-Laylee did a decent enough job of sounding and looking like a Banjo game, which is to be expected because of Steve Mayles' and Grant Kirkhope's involvement, but as far as actually feeling and playing like one, it fell flat, and it makes sense when you consider that Gregg was the guy who provided the core design and structure of Kazooie and Tooie. And he had nothing to do with Yooka, due to, you know, still being at Rare.

Chris Sutherland (who took Gregg's spot as the lead designer for YL) is a talented guy, but his thing was always programming, not design, and it really shows.
Speaking of Y-K's staff problems…

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20..._the_trials_and_errors_of_making_yooka-laylee

It's a wonder that they didn't go the way of Comcept.

Last edited:
Top Bottom