• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

D

Deleted member

I got a question, Yooka Laylee us currently half price on the E-shop. Is it worth it?

I've heard incredibly mixed stuff and the length concerns me as I heard there was only four worlds. So I haven't got it yet, but should I?
I can’t say. Honestly sounds to me like it’s not worth it, but take that with a grain of salt. That’s just my two cents.

If you’re looking for something like Banjo Kazooie, I reccomend Hat in Time. It’s funny, controls well, has unique, interesting, fun characters, and is overall a very good collect-a-thon.

D

Deleted member

I can’t say. Honestly sounds to me like it’s not worth it, but take that with a grain of salt. That’s just my two cents.

If you’re looking for something like Banjo Kazooie, I reccomend Hat in Time. It’s funny, controls well, has unique, interesting, fun characters, and is overall a very good collect-a-thon.
I heard cool things about that one too.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I got a question, Yooka Laylee us currently half price on the E-shop. Is it worth it?

I've heard incredibly mixed stuff and the length concerns me as I heard there was only four worlds. So I haven't got it yet, but should I?
It's great. I honestly think its the second best game in the Banjo (and Banjo adjacent) series. While the game has some technical problems, the game is much speedier than something like Tooie and DK64 so it's easier to get around despite not having fast travel. It also has more actual platforming than those two games. You'll also need to prepare for the next game, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, which IMO looks even better. It's 2D, I know, but it looks damn good.

While I think A Hat in Time is better (better than Odyssey too), the game is more in line with Super Mario Sunshine and Mario 64 than it is Banjo. The game is more mission base like those games than the free-roaming aspect you find in Banjo or Yooka. So if you want a Banjo experience, get Yooka. If you want a classic 3D Mario experience, get A Hat in Time.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's great. I honestly think its the second best game in the Banjo (and Banjo adjacent) series. While the game has some technical problems, the game is much speedier than something like Tooie and DK64 so it's easier to get around despite not having fast travel. It also has more actual platforming than those two games. You'll also need to prepare for the next game, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, which IMO looks even better. It's 2D, I know, but it looks damn good.

While I think A Hat in Time is better (better than Odyssey too), the game is more in line with Super Mario Sunshine and 64 than it is Banjo. The game is more mission base like those games than the free-roaming aspect you find in Banjo or Yooka. So if you want a Banjo experience, get Yooka. If you want a classic 3D Mario experience, get A Hat in Time.
Personally, the mixed reviews scare me into not getting it. (Yooka-Laylee, that is.)

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The reviews are a little weird for me on Yooka. A lot of the reviews claim the collectathon genre has always been outdated, but recent games like Super Mario Odyssey and Spyro trilogy proves that is a bunch of horse ****. Yooka has problems of its own than the genre itself, a lot of which has been patched out since release. The game is still a little too big for its own good and the mini-games outside the main platforming aren't great, but the game still has tons of variety that make up for its shortcomings. The game also feels more like an actual platformer than Tooie or DK 64 which is why I put it above them.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
It's certainly a bold statement putting it above Tooie.

While it could be a nostalgia talking, I think I like Tooie more than Kazooie, it's interconnected worlds, the extra challenge, bosses (actual bosses) even many of the minigames. I also think Tooie has the better hub world and better writing.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I love Tooie's interconnected worlds, bosses, and writing. It's the funniest game in the series IMO. However, I hated going back and forth between Mumbo Jumbo, Humba Wumba, and the split up pads which often intersected to complete a task. Those really hurt the game, I feel. There's a lot to love about Tooie, I love all these games in fact, but it might be my least favorite.

D

Deleted member

I know nothing about Tooie’s writing ‘cause the only video I can find is some edited dialouge about Nuts and Bolts and how bad it is and crap so I don’t even know what’s real and what!s not

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I think Yooka is pretty humorous as well. Not as funny as Tooie, though. The one moment that stood out for me was the Moonie bit in YL. I didn't even have the chance to talk to him. I was too busy blowing up the rocks, and I saw a rock with a face on it floating away. Then his wife was pissed at me. It was hilarious!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
Well, I've beaten Tooie again in a 100% run, so let me give my times and commentary as I did with Kazooie:

Overall - 13:23:31
I call this my scouting run because I can't remember everything in Tooie, so I used this run to make a lot of notes for future runs. Still beat my last 100% run by ~5 hours, so that was cool. All times besides the one for Glitter Gulch are new personal bests for me.
And what a time. Reminds me of that Rusty Bucket Bay puzzle...

Mayahem Temple - 59:24
Standard fare. I took on Targitzan's Temple as soon as I could, then explored the two sub-areas and did kickball. I saved Prison Compound stuff for when I returned from Terrydactyland. Targitzan was easy and always will be if you know how to strafe.

Glitter Gulch Mine - 1:09:27
Actually a few minutes more than a previous run's time. I was faffing about, trying to navigate the place. I only revisited the mine from Jolly Roger's or Mayahem's revisit. I'd learned Grenade Eggs by this point, so Old King Coal was a pushover.

Witchyworld - 1:19:35
The fun one. I learned all the moves, took care of Mr. Patch, then opened up all the areas as priority. I did die once going up the Inferno, so time can be shaved. I also might've slowed down to appreciate all the dialogue in this world, so there's that. Mr. Patch took more time than I'd expected.

Jolly Roger's Lagoon - 1:03:34
Smoother than I thought. If you keep track of what still needs to be done, you'll be fine. Made sure to save Roysten in Spiral Mountain first (the goldfish). Lord Woo Fak Fak wasn't as bad as I'd thought.

Terrydactyland - 1:25:01
A few worlds can be finished off after coming here. I took my time scouting around and waited until after Cloud Cuckooland to do Stomping Grounds stuff, but I might change that next time. Terry was easy as always. Poor guy just trying to be a good dad.

Grunty Industries - 1:55:39
The long one. Not as bad as I thought, but I did need time to recall a few things (such as everything you gotta do to get to Weldar, geez). Clinker's Cavern took a few tries, too. Weldar was still mostly easy.

Hailfire Peaks - 1:40:04
I dealt with the dragons immediately, then got to exploring. I had a brain fart and forgot how to find Jamjars' silo for teaching Glide, but besides that and kickball, things were smooth sailing. Both dragons were easy.

Cloud Cuckooland - 1:40:34
I went all over the place for this one. I learned to really appreciate Central Cavern and the Split Up Pads this time. I needed about 20-30 minutes to finish the Canary Mary races, which I did last. Mingy Jongo was fairly easy.

Cauldron Keep - 29:26
Tower of Tragedy has a fixed time, so not much else to do besides be a trivia nerd. The HAG-1 fight wasn't too bad, but I missed a chance to blow up one of the engines, so that added time. I cut time down by using normal blue eggs, though- they're actually as fast as Grenade Eggs if not faster, I learned.

That's all for now. I'm hoping to do faster runs of Kazooie and Tooie next time.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I liked Yooka-Laylee overall, but I can agree with critiques that mention the worlds ending up getting a little large and started to feel more like a chore to complete than enjoyment. The combat system is a little unpolished too. That said, it at least has the heart of older collectathons and it's worth a play.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I liked Yooka-Laylee overall, but I can agree with critiques that mention the worlds ending up getting a little large and started to feel more like a chore to complete than enjoyment. The combat system is a little unpolished too. That said, it at least has the heart of older collectathons and it's worth a play.
It feels like a Banjo-Kazooie ripoff to me.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Are you an old school Banjo fan and just craving another old school collectathon? If so then yeah, probably. If not than this game isn't going to make you a fan of collectathons. It's just kind of ok.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Hey Banjoroos! I have a quick question.

I remember at some point in time, there was a Fan Remix of The Final Battle for B-K and it was labeled as 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate' fan remix. It got taken down and I remember a good bit of us were like 'wwhhaaaaa!?'

So my question is, when did that happen? Was it before the game released? Or was it this year? I seem to remember that it was this year that some remixes got flagged with copyright and I am pretty sure it was among those months ago.

StormC

Smash Hero
Hey Banjoroos! I have a quick question.

I remember at some point in time, there was a Fan Remix of The Final Battle for B-K and it was labeled as 'Super Smash Bros Ultimate' fan remix. It got taken down and I remember a good bit of us were like 'wwhhaaaaa!?'

So my question is, when did that happen? Was it before the game released? Or was it this year? I seem to remember that it was this year that some remixes got flagged with copyright and I am pretty sure it was among those months ago.
I'm pretty sure it was in November when the rest of the leaked Smash music was getting taken down.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
I'm pretty sure it was in November when the rest of the leaked Smash music was getting taken down.
That makes sense. I walk home every now and then, and I usually listen to music. Durning that month, it was most of the leaked ultimate music with that track and other remixes on shuffle. I always find that instance weird. Could The Final Battle have a remix? We know that the DLC was given to Sakurai before the game's announcement. Wouldn't seem far-fetched.

StormC

Smash Hero
That makes sense. I walk home every now and then, and I usually listen to music. Durning that month, it was most of the leaked ultimate music with that track and other remixes on shuffle. I always find that instance weird. Could The Final Battle have a remix? We know that the DLC was given to Sakurai before the game's announcement. Wouldn't seem far-fetched.
I'm almost positive there will be a Grunty's Lair/Final Battle mashup/remix. May not correlate with that video in November, but it's an obvious pick.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Possibly.

A Megalovania remix suffered the same fate, though. But I’d be hyped for Sans and he’s a real possibility.

I think we’d get a Final Battle remix, anyway.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Wait, why Megalovania?
I believe it was on Crunchii’s channel, which was nuked and kept dead for a while due to him leaking music.

However, the Megalovania fan mix was claimed by Nintendo before terminating the channel, just like Final Battle on the other channel. It could’ve also been on the channel that had the Final Battle remix, but I think it was Crunchii. I’m pretty sure Nintendo was just going through every “Smash Bros.” video on some channels due to leaks.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I believe it was on Crunchii’s channel, which was nuked and kept dead for a while due to him leaking music.

However, the Megalovania fan mix was claimed by Nintendo before terminating the channel, just like Final Battle on the other channel. It could’ve also been on the channel that had the Final Battle remix, but I think it was Crunchii. I’m pretty sure Nintendo was just going through every “Smash Bros.” video on some channels due to leaks.
Oh. OK.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Does anyone else like going back to previous pages, on this thread, and see how excited we were when banjo was first revealed?

It was on pg. 643 and @Chucklehead Tom was to first to comment on it.

MagnesD3

Smash Master

While it could be a nostalgia talking, I think I like Tooie more than Kazooie, it's interconnected worlds, the extra challenge, bosses (actual bosses) even many of the minigames. I also think Tooie has the better hub world and better writing.
It isn’t nostalgia it’s phenomenal it just has a couple slight issues thanks to its ambition. (Like no map (although I didn’t get lost often I get it) and some moves not being used enough are my main gripes.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Oh yeah, I remember that incident. Some people wrote off the BK fan remix being taken down as "eh, they're just removing all music he posted, it's an oversight", rather than a staffer legitimately thinking it might have been part of the Ultimate soundtrack.

In hindsight, that wound up being pretty telling, didn't it? :p

That being said, what you're saying about Megalovania is interesting. Although I think it has nothing to do with the supposed "Frisk/Waluigi leak" that's been making rounds at the moment, so it could be a coincidence.

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Oh yeah, I remember that incident. Some people wrote off the BK fan remix being taken down as "eh, they're just removing all music he posted, it's an oversight", rather than a staffer legitimately thinking it might have been part of the Ultimate soundtrack.

In hindsight, that wound up being pretty telling, didn't it? :p

That being said, what you're saying about Megalovania is interesting. Although I think it has nothing to do with the supposed "Frisk/Waluigi leak" that's been making rounds at the moment, so it could be a coincidence.
Do keep in mind though, just because Banjo-Kazooie turned out to be actually in the game, that doesn't mean Nintendo wasn't just striking down anything with "Smash Bros./Brothers" in it. If a channel has songs, some fan remixes, but some real, instead of having staffers meticulously comb every video to see what's a leak and what isn't (especially with over 900 songs!), it would be easier to just nuke all the videos/the whole channel. An Undertale fan remix being struck down doesn't at all imply that an Undertale character is coming (It doesn't imply they're not either, but it doesn't imply they are.). And honestly, even if an UT character does come to Smash, Megalovania is so iconic at this point it would be a track listing regardless of who the character was if it wasn't Sans.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Given the pitfalls of Y-K, it still feels to me that switching to 2.5D for the next game seems like skirting the issue. We'll have to wait and see if Playtonic is better at doing side-scrollers, DKC style seems like it'd be difficult to mess up.

Do keep in mind tohugh, just because Banjo-Kazooie turned out to be actually in the game, that doesn't mean Nintendo wasn't just striking down anything with "Smash Bros./Brothers" in it. If a channel has songs, some fan remixes, but some real, instead of having staffers meticulously comb every video to see what's a leak and what isn't (especially with over 900 songs!), it would be easier to just nuke and the videos/the whole channel. An Undertale fan remix being struck down doesn't at all imply that an Undertale character is coming (It doesn't imply they're not either, but it doesn't imply they are.). And honestly, even if an UT character does come to Smash, Megalovania is so iconic at this point it would be a track listing regardless of who the character was if it wasn't Sans.
Right. In any case, it could turn out to be a fun coincidence all the same, if UT is in the game after all.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Does anyone else like going back to previous pages, on this thread, and see how excited we were when banjo was first revealed?

Well, I sometimes keep finding likes to my posts during such time, so it's tad inevitable when I come back lurking bit here.

I wonder when to run back to keep finishing BanjoKazooie. Still left clearing Gobi's Valley 100%.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
It is, isn't it?
Alright, I'll tell him. Just so you know, Yooka Laylee was made by many of the former Rare staffers breaking off from Rare because they weren't able to make more Banjo Kazooie games. Most of the original creators, designers, artists, and even composer Grant Kirkhope were the ones who made Yooka Laylee. It's not a rip-off, it's a pastiche of Banjo-Kazooie wherein they wanted to recapture the magic of the series without using the characters they don't own because they split off from Rare, who weren't letting them make BK games anyway. Yooka Laylee looks like Banjo-Kazoie because it's supposed to bare that likeness and capture it's spirit by design, as was the original Banjo-Kazooie's creators intentions when they made Yooka-Laylee.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I think Tooie is underrated. Going back to it, compared to Kazooie, there's just so many great QOL changes, and I got lost into the worlds, but in a good way. I like that they're big, and it's cool that they're interconnected. But I agree with those who don't like it that I'm not a fan of forced backtracking, as well as too many cutscenes that interrupt the gameplay at the beginning. If they made a Threeie, despite Greg's feelings that they made the worlds too big, I would hope that they keep the Tooie world design, just without the forced backtracking and make it so every area is unique and recognizable so that a first time player doesn't feel like they're in a maze all the time. Allow you to visit previous worlds through later ones for casual play, but if you're good and know what you're doing, being able to 100% every world in one go. Reward skilled players and make it fun to try and speed run.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
I've been playing through Nuts & Bolts since I beat BK and BT years ago. On a scale of Thousand Year Door-Paper Mario-Super Paper Mario-Color Splash-Sticker Star where TTYD is the best in charm and gameplay and Sticker Star is the worst at both, I'd give N&B a firm Super Paper Mario. It's one of those games that's fun in it's own right but considering how good the music and design is otherwise you just wish it had the same style of gameplay as the other two. And it's not like there's no platforming- the tight rope walking and attacking in midair to lengthen your jumps feels perfectly Banjo. Truth be told I've been having more fun using physics cheats to get crates early than most of the challenges.

D

Deleted member

The Jiggy at the start of the trailer was only in frame for like .5 seconds and I was already making the post
Fastest ****poster in the west
Skeleman.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Alright, I'll tell him. Just so you know, Yooka Laylee was made by many of the former Rare staffers breaking off from Rare because they weren't able to make more Banjo Kazooie games. Most of the original creators, designers, artists, and even composer Grant Kirkhope were the ones who made Yooka Laylee. It's not a rip-off, it's a pastiche of Banjo-Kazooie wherein they wanted to recapture the magic of the series without using the characters they don't own because they split off from Rare, who weren't letting them make BK games anyway. Yooka Laylee looks like Banjo-Kazoie because it's supposed to bare that likeness and capture it's spirit by design, as was the original Banjo-Kazooie's creators intentions when they made Yooka-Laylee.
Oh. OK.

Top Bottom