• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
Personally I always had trouble with the rematch in Cloud Cuckooland. N64 and Xbox. Never been a great button masher, used to just get a friend to do it for me!
Don't know how helpful this advice would be for you now but Canary Mary runs on rubber band AI. Take it slow the whole race and she'll stay right beside you flying slow. Then at the final stretch gun it as much as you can and you'll win before she can catch back up.

ze9

Smash Ace
I do wonder if that's the (admittedly very minor) price to pay for semi late stage DLC. The in-game model and render will be polished up well enough, but the Smash team is working on a deadline with less people, so if this part or that looks a little weird but not enough to be jarring, they might not have time to do all the touch-ups they might want, or they might not even notice the things that look a little off until the characters are done on account of them working to get them done. Personally, I think Arsene in Joker's moveset looks a little stiff and not as lively, and I do think he might look a little more natural if Joker had been base game and they had time to make him a little more fluid in his movements, give him idles, etc.

I do think Banjo's jaw looks a little wrong in the render somehow in a way I can't explain, and I agree that both of their eyes look a little soulless in a few bad shots of gameplay, but I'm 100% sure that those issues will be resolved if come next Smash game Banjo-Kazooie are on the base roster.
Yeah, Arsene feels a little rushed. Though Joker probably was indeed rushed. From the way things are turning out, he came out really early compared to anyone else in the Pass.

For Banjo it may just be a matter of him not being finished. He admittetly looks a bit unexpressive in some gameplay shots, but maybe that's just because he's not finished and they haven't added them yet. The screenshots are probably from an even earlier build than the trailer, judging from Kazooie's expression when Banjo uses breegull bash (in the screenshot she's expressionless, while in the trailer she looks shocked). I think they'll add more expressions to both of them down the line. We already saw it happen with some characters in the base roster, too... I think it was Daisy, she gained lots of new expressions between E3 and the final release.
So yeah, the new look will probably work way better when the character is finished (and they already look great anyways).

The render, though... yeah, I'll say it. Not really sure what they were thinking with that one. Even the pose is kinda strange.
But eh. Just nitpicking. I'm still over the moon over everything about this.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I saw the render pose as Kazooie springing out of the backpack and Banjo is sort of recoiling in surprise, like he didn't expect Kazooie then and there.

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm a bit conflicted on Banjo and Kazooie's looks, too.
In-game Banjo looks very good, while render Banjo is weird (though maybe it's just because the render doesn't convey very well what expression he's supposed to be making). Meanwhile, render Kazooie is perfect but in-game Kazooie is a bit weird too. Maybe that's because her cheeks are too large? I'm not sure.
I'm actually the total opposite: I believe in-game he looks a little off, whereas the render looks about right. The render looks like a good modern-reimagining, while in-game he's trying to look a bit much like the '90s and it's showing... nothing wrong with that; as others have said, it's much better than N&B.

Kazooie looks off in-game is well; my immediate reaction was "This looks like a Brawl mod". The color was off as well; a big magenta/pinkish for my liking.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Maybe once this pass is complete and there's more DLC afterwards, Nintendo shouldn't assign a deadline and let the staff work as long as they need to. Finishing five characters in a little over a year isn't enough time.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Maybe once this pass is complete and there's more DLC afterwards, Nintendo shouldn't assign a deadline and let the staff work as long as they need to. Finishing five characters in a little over a year isn't enough time.
I have to admit, that seems kinda strange to me. Off the top my head, Ultimate took 2½-3 years right? The game included so many characters. Of course most were veterans, but it still seems strange to me how long it takes to finish a character.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have to admit, that seems kinda strange to me. Off the top my head, Ultimate took 2½-3 years right? The game included so many characters. Of course most were veterans, but it still seems strange to me how long it takes to finish a character.
That's just about right, yea. Although Bayo did end up broken and didn't have much rebalancing since the dev period reached its end.

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
well considering Joker came out with Stage builder as well Its safe to say the time its taking isn't just because of building characters.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I’m pretty sure the development team was vastly reduced in numbers for the DLC vs. the full team they had during the time up to initial release.

As for visually, I don’t really have a problem with the render or the ingame model, except for the taunt at the very beginning where it looks like Banjo lost some dentures. But I’m almost sure that’s mostly an angle thing and from normal height he’ll look absolutely fine, haha.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Hey guys, Haven't been on in a week or so, had some terrible stuff and some good stuff happen since then so I've been pretty busy.

but More importantly the Collab I've been working on came to a screeching halt and I haven't been making any progress on it, but I'm not going to drop it completely- hell no! just thought I'd post a quick update if anyone was wondering whatever happened to it. But Basically I'm going to try and complete it as fast as possible within my spare time- not rush and make it look like **** of course but you all get the idea.

I've got a New job that pays well, but barely any time left anymore, once Banjo gets released I'll try to make some.. "necessary arrangements" to my Sleep schedule lmao.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
It's getting close to an exact month since they were confirmed and yet it still feels like a dream. I'm probably gonna keep feeling like this til the release. Ultimate has brought me such joy that it's one of my top 5 games of all time now. The only character that I'm personally missing as playable is Geno, he's the last Jiggy missing from the puzzle. Steve, Travis and Bandana Dee would be like the extra Notes you collect in each world that's not needed to open the note doors but still great regardless.

Basically if I get Geno I cut my losses for anyone else but if I do get some of the others I want they're like a bonus.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You know, I once found an animation that recreates the Banjo-Kazooie intro, except with the FNAF animatronics. Also found one of the Mingy Jungo cutscene with Toy Freddy and Toy Chica as the bear and bird and I think BB as Mingy Jungo.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
It's getting close to an exact month since they were confirmed and yet it still feels like a dream. I'm probably gonna keep feeling like this til the release. Ultimate has brought me such joy that it's one of my top 5 games of all time now. The only character that I'm personally missing as playable is Geno, he's the last Jiggy missing from the puzzle. Steve, Travis and Bandana Dee would be like the extra Notes you collect in each world that's not needed to open the note doors but still great regardless.
The bear and bird's reveal made me wish Nintendo was still doing full conferences. Imagine the live reactions from E3's main stage...

Majalbatross

Smash Apprentice
Who "changed their ultimate main in their profile to Banjo already because they are already deadset on maining the bear and bird, no matter how low tier they may possibly be" here?

I sure as hell am.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Who "changed their ultimate main in their profile to Banjo already because they are already deadset on maining the bear and bird, no matter how low tier they may possibly be" here?

I sure as hell am.
But how can that be? They would have to be playable in Smash for you to do that.

Oh wait, that's right. Banjo and Kazooie ARE playable in Ultimate, fighter 73 in fact.

Silly of me to forget that.

dlewis53

Smash Lord

I sure as hell am.
The only reason I haven't done that yet is that I want to be fair and actually play the duo for myself before making a full judgment call like that.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I sure as hell am.
I've always said that Banjo & Kazooie are the only characters I would ever commit to maining without playing them beforehand.
I don't care how campy, spammy, or bad they may end up, I can't envision the majority of my play time going to any other character after they release.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

I sure as hell am.
I will either main Banjo & Kazooie, or continue to not play Smash at all. So yes, I would say I fit in that category :p

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
You all know of that young 15 year old girl who beat Ally? It goes to prove tiers mean nothing to pure skill! So even if Banjo is "low tier" skilled players will use him anyway!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I’m pretty sure the development team was vastly reduced in numbers for the DLC vs. the full team they had during the time up to initial release.

As for visually, I don’t really have a problem with the render or the ingame model, except for the taunt at the very beginning where it looks like Banjo lost some dentures. But I’m almost sure that’s mostly an angle thing and from normal height he’ll look absolutely fine, haha.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought that! When I saw that part on a re-watch the day of the announcement, I thought Banjo turned into an old man for a second, but couldn't put my finger on it as to why. It does concern me (a really really tiny bit) that they used that pose as a taunt, since I can't think of anywhere that's from, and there's so many great taunts/idle animations they could take straight from the game.

And I agree, I love the render, and the in-game model more. At first, it was jarring--it looked more fake in some places than some of the fake renders I saw. If the mural image or render leaked prior to the announcement, I would have certainly called it fake (a really good fake). However, after watching it a million times, I've grown to really love the in-game model, and I like the render (though, Banjo's expression is a bit off to me still). Kazooie in the render is 100% perfect.

StormC

Smash Hero

I sure as hell am.
Don't see myself ever giving up the King, but hopefully Banjo can become a secondary.

D

Deleted member

You will have to take Simon away from my cold dead hands before i stop maining him.

With that said, i can see Banjo in my top 10 of most used characters.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
K. Rool was my third most wanted with Banjo & Kazooie as my second so....I'll be moving K. Rool over to a secondary.

Top Bottom