• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
lol, Mumbo yelling at me to not spend much time on foot in Nuts & Bolts... I just wanna play Banjo-Kazooie damnit! The worst part about it is the potential is there and they could've clearly nailed it out of the park: swimming underwater, running around jumping, using what little combat there is on enemies... sigh.

This is what Star Fox Adventures is to Star Fox... they clearly tried and it's probably pretty solid, but just too much of a departure from the norm.
At least with SFA, you know that it wasn't supposed to be a Star Fox game in the first place. There's no excuse here, except Microsoft's old guard being out of touch with the gamer demographics.

Last edited:

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
I tried to get into N&B but I didn't make it more than 20 minutes. BK is my all-time favorite game series (followed by Pokemon at #2 and Smash at #3) and I really wanted to like it so I could have another BK game to play, but the constant jabs at the past games rubbed me the wrong way. In BK and BT it was more 4th wall I guess but in N&B it felt like Microsoft throwing shade at the duo's past.

I dunno, may give it another go one day. Until them I'm holding out hope for remasters or Banjo-Threeie.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
If anyone makes a Smash Bros. montage of Banjo-Kazooie and the other Rare characters, try getting footage with Krystal in it! She was made by Rare too!

Dan

Smash Lord
At least with SFA, you know that it wasn't supposed to be a Star Fox game in the first place. There's no excuse here, except Microsoft's old guard being out of touch with the gamer demographics.
People are a little more open-minded now, but this was during the age where it was nothing but Halo, CoD, maybe Gears of War and Mountain Dew Game Fuel. :laugh:

I mean, early 360 did have some nice variety, in games like this, Kameo: Elements of Power and Viva Piñata.

I tried to get into N&B but I didn't make it more than 20 minutes. BK is my all-time favorite game series (followed by Pokemon at #2 and Smash at #3) and I really wanted to like it so I could have another BK game to play, but the constant jabs at the past games rubbed me the wrong way. In BK and BT it was more 4th wall I guess but in N&B it felt like Microsoft throwing shade at the duo's past.

I dunno, may give it another go one day. Until them I'm holding out hope for remasters or Banjo-Threeie.
The driving is so ****in' boring and it doesn't even work -- it's like "Who asked for this?"

Now you can say who asked for the Piranha Plant in Smash Ultimate, but at least it works and it fits... it just irks me beyond belief that they could've made a good Banjo game (Banjo-Threeie), but instead made something that should've been its own IP, or maybe could've been a Viva Piñata spinoff or something. :laugh: "Viva Piñata: Cars"

If anyone makes a Smash Bros. montage of Banjo-Kazooie and the other Rare characters, try getting footage with Krystal in it! She was made by Rare too!
And now my posts come full circle with the Dinosaur Planet reference, lol; I guess Rare just had a tendency to take things in a 180, though I'm sure they didn't make the decision to make NnB instead of Threeie and it was Miyamoto who made them change Dinosaur Planet.

I'm gonna research the development and reception of NnB right now.

Edit: NnB honestly does reek of Dinosaur Planet or Doki Doki Panic where they changed it to something else at the last minute, but it was literally just a Banjo game all along... that's the hardest thing to believe: development went Banjo 1 remake>"more traditional platforming" (what does this even mean?... Banjo-Threeie?)>build cars... perfectly logical... it's not like we missed any steps in there. :rolleyes:

The cars thing should've been just been a sideshow to break up the platforming once in a while like the Gummi Ship in KH.

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
People are a little more open-minded now, but this was during the age where it was nothing but Halo, CoD, maybe Gears of War and Mountain Dew Game Fuel. :laugh:

I mean, early 360 did have some nice variety, in games like this, Kameo: Elements of Power and Viva Piñata.

The driving is so ****in' boring and it doesn't even work -- it's like "Who asked for this?"

Now you can say who asked for the Piranha Plant in Smash Ultimate, but at least it works and it fits... it just irks me beyond belief that they could've made a good Banjo game (Banjo-Threeie), but instead made something that should've been its own IP, or maybe could've been a Viva Piñata spinoff or something. :laugh: "Viva Piñata: Cars"

And now my posts come full circle with the Dinosaur Planet reference, lol; I guess Rare just had a tendency to take things in a 180, though I'm sure they didn't make the decision to make NnB instead of Threeie and it was Miyamoto who made them change Dinosaur Planet.

I'm gonna research the development and reception of NnB right now.

Edit: NnB honestly does reek of Dinosaur Planet or Doki Doki Panic where they changed it to something else at the last minute, but it was literally just a Banjo game all along... that's the hardest thing to believe: development went Banjo 1 remake>"more traditional platforming" (what does this even mean?... Banjo-Threeie?)>build cars... perfectly logical... it's not like we missed any steps in there. :rolleyes:

The cars thing should've been just been a sideshow to break up the platforming once in a while like the Gummi Ship in KH.
Yeah true. I am still hoping Krystal gets a promotion full fighter as DLC pack 4. Then we will truly have the Rare gang back together!

Dan

Smash Lord
I've lobbied for Krystal since Brawl but her window is kind of totally shut now.

Kritter

Smash Cadet
I'm still confused as to why Banjo's page isn't available. Its not like Joker's where his render wasn't ready to show.
My guess is that they're still tweeking Banjo's model slightly, and won't make it available until they're finished. Otherwise, maybe they're trying to make sure Hero isn't overshadowed until he gets released.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I had a strange dream last night.

I dreamt I was at E3, except it looked more like a MacDonalds store. And Sakurai was there being Sakurai, he came over to my group looking for someone who had made a viral smash bros video, and took an interest in me because I was playing Smash Bros, we had a nice chat, but it was difficult due to the language barrier, but he had a translator with him. I eventually asked if he was allowed to tell me how DLC characters were chosen. He just smiled and waved his finger at me. (but he also said before that a focus on the moveset were giving characters flash, and that there was a base game character he either initially had regrets with and changed up or still has regrets)

There was also a Banjo and Kazooie game announced. It looked beyond lame, it was presented as a puzzle game with elements of a 2D platformer, and Grunty wasn't the villain. I don't remember what it was,but it looked like a Banana half out of the peel, except it was more like a battery or something poking out a wrapper. And it had Thwomps for some reason? I think Mario Maker was bleeding into my dream and was why the game had any platforming sections to begin with.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
Krystal is one of my most favorite Star Fox characters. She is tough, kind and a telepath. Plus another reason is...uh...well...you know. If we get her, then she will reunite with Banjo & Kazooie at last!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Had these videos on the backburner for the past few years since the Smash Ballot for Sm4sh and MAN does it feel good to hear them knowing the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies finally made it home to Nintendo to Smash! You better believe I'll be playing them to these themes often when they finally release ^^

Dan

Smash Lord
I dreamt I was at E3, except it looked more like a MacDonalds store. And Sakurai was there being Sakurai, he came over to my group looking for someone who had made a viral smash bros video, and took an interest in me because I was playing Smash Bros, we had a nice chat, but it was difficult due to the language barrier, but he had a translator with him. I eventually asked if he was allowed to tell me how DLC characters were chosen. He just smiled and waved his finger at me. (but he also said before that a focus on the moveset were giving characters flash, and that there was a base game character he either initially had regrets with and changed up or still has regrets)
Did he also ask you for a Big Mac?

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I went and saw that match. On the bright side, she got showered with support afterwards and lifted her back up. She plays a rockin’ Isabelle.
Also goes to show, tiers are indeed never accurate. If you are skilled enough, you can win! Which is one of the reasons Nintendo was trying to tell us before!

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
My guess is that they're still tweeking Banjo's model slightly, and won't make it available until they're finished. Otherwise, maybe they're trying to make sure Hero isn't overshadowed until he gets released.
It's quite clear from the reveal trailer that BK's model is unfinished.

Both Hero and BK have been on the official Smash site since E3, but only BK is not clickable - I presume this is because the duo is still very much in progress, and there's no sense in showcasing WIP screenshots/videos when they can just wait until they are finished.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
The Fighters Pass ad has updated! Now it shows the Hero and our bear and bird in their rightful spots! However, only reuses scenes from their reveal trailers.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Banjo & Kazooie don't look right though. They seem a little squashed.

Banjo don't look right.png

Last edited:

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
If it's not Gruntilda's boss theme featuring vocals similar to their Gangplank Galleon remix, it's a waste
You know what always drives me wild in a good way? Any vocal-orchestral song that does the thing where you have a note sung in a really low octave by really loud boomy bass singers, contrasted with a very high note from really high singing Sopranos. Imagine that on each of the horn notes.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Banjo (and Kazooie) and the heroes from Dragon Quest are finally here! I'm glad to see! But on the other hand I'd also love too have Arthur (Ghosts and Goblins), Ryu Hayabusa, Kyo (King of Fighters), and Reimu (Touhou). All of those are pretty much just as Iconic as Banjo, but I'd still think we could also have Bomberman who is more iconic in Smash 6.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Both Hero and BK have been on the official Smash site since E3, but only BK is not clickable - I presume this is because the duo is still very much in progress, and there's no sense in showcasing WIP screenshots/videos when they can just wait until they are finished.
I really hope that's the case. As great as they look, I hope they don't look so dead-eyed when they finally release lol, which I know has been a complaint with a lot of people. Another thing is I hope one of their idle animations is Kazooie pecking Banjo on the head and every once in a while Banjo grabs Kazooie's neck and chokes it lol. Banjo's a sweet as honey bear, but he don't take **** from anyone, especially not Kazooie!

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
I'm close to beating Tooie again, but I just wanted to say, what were they thinking when they made the last 2 Canary Mary races? The first of them really takes some button mashing (which took me some time, I'm not the fastest at that), and the second requires you to not go as fast as possible (at least until the end), instead staying around Canary Mary for the whole race. Seriously, it felt like we were going 2 mph most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, both races are easy enough for me to do now, but it's just bizarre to me. It's still my least-favorite part of Cloud Cuckooland.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I have to wander, but did they make the ed canary Mary race easier in the Xbox version? Because I beat all 4 on my first try last time, just by button mashing. Admittedly Mario party has trained my family well.

Vector Victor

Smash Lord

Another thought: their page isn't uploaded because there's something else they haven't revealed that they are holding for the official release presentation. But what could it be? The screen shots can be taken that easily avoids any spoilers. The only thing left on the page is their.........alt colors.

What if there is an alt color they aren't ready to show off right now, like maybe Banjo-Dragooie?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm close to beating Tooie again, but I just wanted to say, what were they thinking when they made the last 2 Canary Mary races? The first of them really takes some button mashing (which took me some time, I'm not the fastest at that), and the second requires you to not go as fast as possible (at least until the end), instead staying around Canary Mary for the whole race. Seriously, it felt like we were going 2 mph most of the time.

Don't get me wrong, both races are easy enough for me to do now, but it's just bizarre to me. It's still my least-favorite part of Cloud Cuckooland.
My guess is they looked at the rubber banding they had to do with the Boggy race and tried to find a way to improve on that to make it so even expert players had difficulty with it.

For me personally, I like that idea in theory--beginners and casual players don't need to get every jiggy to beat the game, and 100 percenting is something experienced/expert players like to do--though in practice they made it inhumanely hard. I watched a video of someone using a power tool to rapidly press the button and Canary Mary was still close in the CCL race. I'm not sure if the last time I played Tooie, if I was able to get it or not. I feel like I did, though.

Also, while I know Boggy had rubber banding, I'm not sure if Canary Mary did--if they did, it makes my point a bit moot. But I feel like if they did, the optimal strategy would be to go slow then speed up, whereas it looks like the only way to beat Canary Mary is to rapidly press.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Has this been discussed yet but for when the bear and bird duo releases what would be ideal Mii costumes? Here's some that comes to mind.

Gruntilda headwear
Joanna Dark (:ultgunner:)
Master Chief (:ultgunner:)
Mumbo Jumbo (:ultswordfighter:)
Rash (:ultbrawler:)
Steve (:ultswordfighter:)

Credit for Mii ideas for Joanna Dark and Rash goes to Wademan94.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I'm a bit conflicted on Banjo and Kazooie's looks, too.
In-game Banjo looks very good, while render Banjo is weird (though maybe it's just because the render doesn't convey very well what expression he's supposed to be making). Meanwhile, render Kazooie is perfect but in-game Kazooie is a bit weird too. Maybe that's because her cheeks are too large? I'm not sure.
That's only true in screenshots, though. In motion, they look incredible. They're probably the most lively and animated character in the game, just look at all the little movements they do. Their ledge grab animation is amazing.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
I'm a bit conflicted on Banjo and Kazooie's looks, too.
In-game Banjo looks very good, while render Banjo is weird (though maybe it's just because the render doesn't convey very well what expression he's supposed to be making). Meanwhile, render Kazooie is perfect but in-game Kazooie is a bit weird too. Maybe that's because her cheeks are too large? I'm not sure.
That's only true in screenshots, though. In motion, they look incredible. They're probably the most lively and animated character in the game, just look at all the little movements they do. Their ledge grab animation is amazing.
I do wonder if that's the (admittedly very minor) price to pay for semi late stage DLC. The in-game model and render will be polished up well enough, but the Smash team is working on a deadline with less people, so if this part or that looks a little weird but not enough to be jarring, they might not have time to do all the touch-ups they might want, or they might not even notice the things that look a little off until the characters are done on account of them working to get them done. Personally, I think Arsene in Joker's moveset looks a little stiff and not as lively, and I do think he might look a little more natural if Joker had been base game and they had time to make him a little more fluid in his movements, give him idles, etc.

I do think Banjo's jaw looks a little wrong in the render somehow in a way I can't explain, and I agree that both of their eyes look a little soulless in a few bad shots of gameplay, but I'm 100% sure that those issues will be resolved if come next Smash game Banjo-Kazooie are on the base roster.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
I saw a thread sometime early last month (I think) on 4chan where someone might have pinpointed what looks "off" about Banjo in Smash Bros. Basically all the previous renders from the N64 era had him with a slightly shorter mouth that ended in a small upward curl. The Smash Bros design has a longer mouth that just goes straight. They even did edits to him in screenshots and on the actual render and it made a pretty big difference. Banjo actually looked happy in his render instead of confused. I wish I was able to find the thread and post the pics here but it's been long buried under the hundreds of similar threads.

I still think they look fantastic and I'd take this design over the Nuts and Bolts one any day lol.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I have to wander, but did they make the ed canary Mary race easier in the Xbox version? Because I beat all 4 on my first try last time, just by button mashing. Admittedly Mario party has trained my family well.
It's much easier in the Xbox version. That race was near impossible on the N64 -- that and the dumb Lanky/Rabbit race in DK64.

Personally I always had trouble with the rematch in Cloud Cuckooland. N64 and Xbox. Never been a great button masher, used to just get a friend to do it for me!

Top Bottom