• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
For the record, I want all the main playable Kongs (except Kiddy, meh), and maybe Kalypso if I feel crazy. At least this way I'd feel vindicated about the DK Rap being butchered, and most of the DK Crew being absent.

As for other series, I'll be perfectly satisfied with Metroid as soon as Sylux gets in. Also, Yoshi's pal Poochy.
I can't say I care to have Cranky of Funky or Chunky or Tiny or Lanky to be playable in Smash. A bit too much imo.

But Poochy? That's all? You can't think of a certain Magikoopa that should at least be in Mario Kart at this point?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can't say I care to have Cranky of Funky or Chunky or Tiny or Lanky to be playable in Smash. A bit too much imo.

But Poochy? That's all? You can't think of a certain Magikoopa that should at least be in Mario Kart at this point?
Yeah I know, but my current priority is on the doggo. Besides, it'll take a while for Kamek to get enough supporters, seeing the stupid people that would treat him no differently than a "Goomba with a hat".

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I know, but my current priority is on the doggo. Besides, it'll take a while for Kamek to get enough supporters, seeing the stupid people that would treat him no differently than a "Goomba with a hat".
I'll admit Bandana Dee is a character. And he has a spear, a currently unrepresented weapon (at least from what I can remember at the moment) but I'd prefer Ganon. A big heavy boy with a spear and teleporting? That would be pretty cool. Bandana Dee would be fine.

I mean.... I'd be down with just a Kamek AT. Like maybe he'd have a number of effects and it would randomly choose one each time he's summoned. Could make the player bigger. Or the enemies smaller. Or something? Just don't get why Nintendo doesn't care for him.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'll admit Bandana Dee is a character. And he has a spear, a currently unrepresented weapon (at least from what I can remember at the moment) but I'd prefer Ganon. A big heavy boy with a spear and teleporting? That would be pretty cool. Bandana Dee would be fine.

I mean.... I'd be down with just a Kamek AT. Like maybe he'd have a number of effects and it would randomly choose one each time he's summoned. Could make the player bigger. Or the enemies smaller. Or something? Just don't get why Nintendo doesn't care for him.
It doesn't help that in Japan every Magikoopa (save Kammy) is called Kamek. It's like Toad's situation, but worse.

It's a wonder that Good-Feel finally and thankfully gave him the dignity of having a proper boss fight in a Yoshi game, after all these years...

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Which other Rare(ware) characters would you guys like to see as playable characters for Smash, now that Banjo-Kazooie are coming to Smash? (You guys probably already answered that but whatever) I’d like to see Jago, TJ Combo, and Fulgore, from the Killer Instinct series, join Smash, with a stage from Killer Instinct, and music from Killer Instinct (1994/1995/Killer Cuts), Killer Instinct 2/Gold (Gold Cuts), and Killer Instinct (2013). Both originals and new remixes. I’d especially love a Smash remix of the Main Theme of Killer Instinct. I’d also love to see Conker join Smash, as well.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Which other Rare(ware) characters would you guys like to see as playable characters for Smash, now that Banjo-Kazooie are coming to Smash? (You guys probably already answered that but whatever) I’d like to see Jago and TJ Combo, from the Killer Instinct series, join Smash, with a stage from Killer Instinct, and music from Killer Instinct (1994/1995/Killer Cuts), Killer Instinct 2/Gold (Gold Cuts), and Killer Instinct (2013). Both originals and new remixes. I’d especially love a Smash remix of the Main Theme of Killer Instinct. I’d also love to see Conker join Smash, as well.
Fulgore from Killer Instinct for me. We have a fighting game franchise in the form of SF, yes, but KI plays so much more differently than SF with how combos work that he can be totally unique!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Which other Rare(ware) characters would you guys like to see as playable characters for Smash, now that Banjo-Kazooie are coming to Smash? (You guys probably already answered that but whatever) I’d like to see Jago and TJ Combo, from the Killer Instinct series, join Smash, with a stage from Killer Instinct, and music from Killer Instinct (1994/1995/Killer Cuts), Killer Instinct 2/Gold (Gold Cuts), and Killer Instinct (2013). Both originals and new remixes. I’d especially love a Smash remix of the Main Theme of Killer Instinct. I’d also love to see Conker join Smash, as well.
Rash from Battletoads as first priority, with Conker as second. And Juno/Vela at a distant third. Very distant.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Fulgore from Killer Instinct for me. We have a fighting game franchise in the form of SF, yes, but KI plays so much more differently than SF with how combos work that he can be totally unique!
Combos, huh? Did someone call for a combo breaker?

I would like to see a Killer Instinct character as well (not sure who, though), and Conker.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
James Bond from Golden Eye 007. Let's make the Rareware Melee dream finally happen even if it's getting close to 2 decades later. :p

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
New Thank You Letter update time!

I mailed out both of the letters via USPS today. They didn't quite fit in Flat Rate envelopes and I didn't want to use a box since boxes might seem a little more suspicious, and last thing I want is our hard work to be thrown in the bin. I found some nice padded envelopes that fit the letters nicely and 2 Day shipped them to Microsoft and Nintendo.

I updated the album here, https://imgur.com/a/wKJ7Pwe, with pictures of the envelopes as well as a last minute addition from KrazyBonesTV for artwork. Thanks again for all the people that contributed the art. I love all 4 of them personally!

Next step is emailing Phil Spencer and Nintendo. There was some discussion on the Banjo-Kazooie Discord on how to best contact Nintendo and if I don't find a somewhat reliable email address / Contact Us, I might reach out to Grant and see if he has any suggestions. I'm going to look around and see what I can find first, but I did want to send them an email before tomorrow just to let them know that something is coming in the mail. (Not that they won't be able to tell what it is hopefully when they see the Return Label starting with "Thousands of Banjo-Kazooie Fans").

It goes without saying that anything I hear from anyone along the way will be shared here and on the Discord. If we do end up hearing back from any of them, it'd be cool to let various online news outlets know as well. We can figure out how to cross that bridge if we get to it though!

Last edited:

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
New Thank You Letter update time!

I mailed out both of the letters via USPS today. They didn't quite fit in Flat Rate envelopes and I didn't want to use a box since boxes might seem a little more suspicious, and last thing I want is our hard work to be thrown in the bin. I found some nice padded envelopes that fit the letters nicely and 2 Day shipped them to Microsoft and Nintendo.

I updated the album here, https://imgur.com/a/wKJ7Pwe, with pictures of the envelopes as well as a last minute addition from KrazyBonesTV for artwork. Thanks again for all the people that contributed the art. I love all 4 of them personally!

Next step is emailing Phil Spencer and Nintendo. There was some discussion on the Banjo-Kazooie Discord on how to best contact Nintendo and if I don't find a somewhat reliable email address / Contact Us, I might reach out to Grant and see if he has any suggestions. I'm going to look around and see what I can find first, but I did want to send them an email before tomorrow just to let them know that something is coming in the mail. (Not that they won't be able to tell what it is hopefully when they see the Return Label starting with "Thousands of Banjo-Kazooie Fans").

It goes without saying that anything I hear from anyone along the way will be shared here and on the Discord. If we do end up hearing back from any of them, it'd be cool to let various online news outlets know as well. We can figure out how to cross that bridge if we get to it though!
Wow, I especially love the artwork there!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Banjo & Kazooie are pretty much the only Rare characters that I wanted to see because they are more like Nintendo characters than Microsoft characters.

Conker in my opinion is just a raunchier version of Tails. They both hover using their tails and they both can use weapons but then Tails comes off as a much more interesting character than Conker because of all the other stuff Tails could do. The only good thing going for Conker over Tails is that he's a wise crack but that isn't really going to conjure up a good moveset by hurting people's feelings.

While I do love the Perfect Dark series, Joanna Dark in smash could be done better with many other characters like the Resident Evil protagonists, Master Chief or Doom Guy. Zero Suit Samus kind of already plays somewhat similarly to what Joanna could probably do but with less acrobatics.

Jago is mostly just Ryu and Ken with some slightly different moves. I'd say you could just as well hack in a model of Jago, put it over Ryu and it would look just about right.

Battletoads are the only plausible characters that could be interesting for Smash Bros. The problem is that coming up with special moves is not easy because most of their moves consist of punching and kicking. The only special moves I can come up with is the saw blade from the penultimate level from the first battletoads as their side-b and the hover car from level 3 as their Up-B, neither of which hold up much for innovation.

Then there is everyone else that no one mentions often like Jet Force Jemini, Blast Corps, Kameo, Sabrewulf, Jetpac guy, Cooper from grabbed by the ghoulies, the snakes from Snake Rattle and Roll, etc. Here is the list if you can figure out what to do with them.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
To be honest, the Battletoads also feel more like Nintendo characters to me than Microsoft ones.

While some of their games are multiplatform (and Super Battletoads' Game Boy version was shelved for decades), everyone remembers the Battletoads for the NES original. Plus there's the fact that they got a guest stage for the NES-inspired Shovel Knight.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Dixie. She should have been in since a long time ago, and she feels like the only really noticeable gaping hole in the roster.
Apart from her... I'd like Conker, but if he can't get drunk and piss all over the place and shoot with his UZI and have the fight with the Great Mighty Poo as his stage, is it really worth it?
I also never played Battletoads nor Perfect Dark, so I guess my other choice would be Gruntilda.

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
We need Dixie Kong in the game. She should be a Diddy echo, itd be an easy thing to make happen

StormC

Smash Hero
The only Rareware character that needs to be in Smash is Dixie. Gruntilda would be amazing but is a Never Ever and I'll be Cranky's age by the time he's actually up to bat for a Smash slot.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
To be honest, the Battletoads also feel more like Nintendo characters to me than Microsoft ones.
Sure the Battletoads do appear on Nintendo consoles more but they just don't look like something Nintendo made. I'd say they're more like a Sega creation because they have attitude and sass that Sega used back in the 90's with Sonic. Banjo & Kazooie are mostly humble characters that prove themselves to their audience through their games, much like Mario.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
We should really only ask for characters if we desperately want to play as them like Banjo & Kazooie. If we're only asking them just for the sake of having them in then what is the point?
fan service. Kinda the point of a nerdy dream crossover if you ask me.
Besides, I'm pretty sure everyone who wants her would want to play as her as well. granted I've never really rallied for a character I don't feel I would play as, but I've at least given some support to characters that I feel are important enough, and I know they have their fans.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sure the Battletoads do appear on Nintendo consoles more but they just don't look like something Nintendo made. I'd say they're more like a Sega creation because they have attitude and sass that Sega used back in the 90's with Sonic. Banjo & Kazooie are mostly humble characters that prove themselves to their audience through their games, much like Mario.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles seems more accurate, actually.

ze9

Smash Ace
We should really only ask for characters if we desperately want to play as them like Banjo & Kazooie. If we're only asking them just for the sake of having them in then what is the point?
But I desperately want to play as Dixie.
In the DKC games she's consistently the best kong, and in Smash she would fit my playstyle like a glove (I assume she would be very aerial-based).
Also, Tropical Freeze is probably my favorite game of the last 10 years. I'd like to see it represented in Smash a bit more heavily.

I know asking for Dixie right after we got both Banjo and K. Rool may look a bit greedy, but eh. DKC/Rare fans, in Smash, have been starved for soooo loooong...

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I desperately want to play as Dixie. After her, I don't care if any other Rare characters get in or not. There are some I think could be cool, like Krystal (she's super unique, a new female fighter, a new Star Fox fighter, and has a ready-made Smash-friendly moveset like Banjo and Kazooie), but none that I think are absolute requirements and some that feel like kind of a bad idea, i.e. Conker.

...come to think of it, it might be fun to check out the Krystal support thread. She's an assist trophy now, so she's closer than she's ever been.

StormC

Smash Hero
Smash characters aren't just to play as though. They're to play against, to enjoy whatever stages/music comes along with them, to talk about with friends, to watch be played, to see them blow up in fanart and memes, to see people who wanted them be happy, to see them next to other characters.

I'm a diehard K. Rool main, he's my only character in Elite Smash and I honestly don't think I will play as Banjo too much. But I wanted Banjo to be a part of this massive celebration, to see them back on a Nintendo console, to see how Sakurai does their animations and moves, to see what sort of references they make to one of my all time favorite video games. While yes, it is a fighting game and we play as fighters, Smash is more than that as well.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I do want to desperately play as the characters I want, I simply use a sense of priority in regards to specific ones. Dreams that I want to see happen, essentially.

For example, I hadn't felt like wanting any other Kirby characters for a while after I finally had :ultkingdedede:, then later got accustomed to the idea. I am patient about it, if nothing else.

Luckily some of my more immediate wants (ranging from would be fine with them to must have) got confirmed so far. :ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultsimon::ultbanjokazooie::ultkrool:

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Smash characters aren't just to play as though. They're to play against, to enjoy whatever stages/music comes along with them, to talk about with friends, to watch be played, to see them blow up in fanart and memes, to see people who wanted them be happy, to see them next to other characters.

I'm a diehard K. Rool main, he's my only character in Elite Smash and I honestly don't think I will play as Banjo too much. But I wanted Banjo to be a part of this massive celebration, to see them back on a Nintendo console, to see how Sakurai does their animations and moves, to see what sort of references they make to one of my all time favorite video games. While yes, it is a fighting game and we play as fighters, Smash is more than that as well.
This, too. Seeing Banjo & Kazooie and K. Rool hang out with the rest of the gang again, after all these years, is really heartwarming. I love those characters.
Getting included in Smash is also kind of "future proofing" a character. They're put in the spotlight and they get to be part of the typical Nintendo conversation forever, and that's something that i feel the Rare characters really needed after all these years of neglect.

Its' true that, unlike Banjo and K. Rool, Dixie had a resurgence in her own series, but before Tropical Freeze she was just as dead as K. Rool, and now we haven't had a new DKC game for a pretty long time... Again.
I don't think she'll manage to get in Ultimate, but my fingers are always crossed. Just waiting for that Second Fighter's Pass announcement...

Last edited:

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
I'm aware that Phil Spencer said he was open to allowing more currently Rare-owned characters in Smash... But I'd wager that we won't be seeing any more.

I've seen little to no support for any Rare characters other than Banjo & Kazooie. Combine that with the fact no Rare IPs even come close to the connection B-K has with Nintendo, plus their lack of popularity in Japan... I don't know, maybe I'm just bias because my personal connection with Rare characters is only DK and BK, but I can't ever see it happening.

If Microsoft gets another character either in the next Smash, or as more DLC, I think a Halo or a Minecraft character would be the front-runners.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Rare isn't actually unpopular in Japan. That's a common misconception. Japanese fans' reactions to Banjo and Kazooie have been overwhelmingly positive.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
Rare isn't actually unpopular in Japan. That's a common misconception. Japanese fans' reactions to Banjo and Kazooie have been overwhelmingly positive.
I know that Banjo & Kazooie have a following in Japan. I was referring to series like Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Killer Instinct, and Conker.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't think we'll get anymore Rare characters, Banjo and Kazooie were really in a league of their own. They've been requested forever, they were N64 mascots, their series pioneered the 3d platform genre and is probably Rare's most succesful original creation, and... well, with all their unique and cartoony abilities they're just a perfect fit for Smash in a way few characters are. See how natural their moveset is looking.
I guess the next in line would be the Battletoads. If we're excluding DKC characters, at least.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It'll take a lot of hard work and effort to gather up support for other Rare characters, even if it needs the next gaming gen to do so.

It's a price to pay for them having been passed over by fans for so long in favor of BK, but is also a bitter pill that needed to be swallowed sooner or later.

In the meantime, the least that can be done is help Dixie supporters in their time of need.

Last edited:

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Not sure if people have seen this yet but

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Pretty cool that BK fanart was done by an art director from Walt Disney Animation!

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
Dixie. She should have been in since a long time ago, and she feels like the only really noticeable gaping hole in the roster.
Apart from her... I'd like Conker, but if he can't get drunk and piss all over the place and shoot with his UZI and have the fight with the Great Mighty Poo as his stage, is it really worth it?
I also never played Battletoads nor Perfect Dark, so I guess my other choice would be Gruntilda.
I mean Joker got his pistol, so though you joke part of me wants to believe an uzi spray neutral special isn't out of the question, but alas I'll concede that the poo world was probably the most memorable point in the game for many people. Knowing Nintendo would never do it, what's the point? (As much as I'd love Conker in the game.). For that reason I'd sooner hold out hope that another fighting game will someday pick up the mantle; one who'd be willing to give the raunchy little rodent his due proper portrayal. That said if it did happen I think there are a few areas that could still be a suitable stage. The vampire house, the world with dinosaurs and cavemen, or the War stage come to mind.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I could see ether Conker or a Battletoad as DLC for smash ulimate fighter pass 2 if it happens but we fans would have to speak up

if we get another smash bros on nintendo's next system I would want a Super Smash Bros Ultimate Deluxe ! kinda like mario Kart 8 Deluxe ! New characters new modes & stages & no cuts ! after that smash game then they could try something new

ze9

Smash Ace
I mean Joker got his pistol, so though you joke part of me wants to believe an uzi spray neutral special isn't out of the question, but alas I'll concede that the poo world was probably the most memorable point in the game for many people. Knowing Nintendo would never do it, what's the point? (As much as I'd love Conker in the game.). For that reason I'd sooner hold out hope that another fighting game will someday pick up the mantle; one who'd be willing to give the raunchy little rodent his due proper portrayal. That said if it did happen I think there are a few areas that could still be a suitable stage. The vampire house, the world with dinosaurs and cavemen, or the War stage come to mind.
You know what, thinking about it, he could be adapted... he's got a slingshot and a frying pan. He can transform into an anvil. He had a companion dinosaur for a while. And he also rode a pitchfork. And it looks like firearms are allowed now. The up B could be Gregg's hand carrying him around. Still acceptable for Smash but kind of weird for a cute squirrel. He could also throw toilet paper.
And they could choose a more suitable stage, like the War or even the Rock Solid Club or, as boring as it is, Windy.
They also could get away with some reference to the more mature stuff. Like, his entrance animation could be Conker being already on the battlefied collapsed on the ground, then he wakes up and he gets up while stumbling and shaking his head, saying "it's gonna be one of those days...", and that's it for the alcoholism part.

Heh. He could work. Moveset-wise, the only obvious thing he'd be missing is the pee.
But still, toning him down would be kind of sad. I think Conker worked best when he was a Nintendo character. He looked just as innocent as Mario, Pikachu or Banjo but then he had all this gross and mature stuff. As a character he's hilarious on his own, but when you associate him with the usual Nintendo crew he becomes hysterical. If he ever gets in Smash, he should have all that stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom