• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

HyruleHero

Smash Journeyman
I'm feeling pretty good about Mii Fighter outfits based on other Rare properties coming out alongside Banjo.

Swordfighter: Mumbo Jumbo, Spinal
Brawler: Rash, Fulgore
Gunner: Joanna Dark, Juno/Vela
I think its likely that we'll see a Steve or Creeper costume for these guys too, more emphasis on the Microsoft relation rather than RARE.
Also wouldn't Mumbo be a gunner?

I have waited almost 2 decades. I think we can wait a little longer.

What I'm most curious about is what Grunty's role is going to be. She's probably just going to be a cameo, but it would be cool if she became a boss. I'm still holding out for that boss mode.
The Grunty appearance in the trailer is very similar to Dracula's appearance for the Belmonts. I think its safe to assume Grunty is going to be a boss.

Anthess

Smash Rookie
So happy to see them in Smash ! A dream from my childhood. I was playing Banjo-Tooie when I was only 8 and I wanted them since Melee (as K. Rool). It's unbelievable. What a time to be alive !

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Good morning!

A day after the Direct, and it just feels... weird, but in a good way. It still hasn't fully sunk in yet... I still can't believe Banjo finally made it! :)
Actual Concersation in my Workplace:
Me: Hey, coworker!
Coworker: What?
M: You like Smash Bros?
C: Yes...?
M: You like Banjo-Kazooie?
C: What's that?
M: Well guess who- Wait what?
C: What?
M: You don't know who Banjo and Kazooie are?
C: Aren't those instruments?
M: Well, yes, but no, it's a revolutionary '90s platformer, and they were just announced for Smash... Nevermind, I guess.
C: Okay.
Oh dear. That must have been awkward.

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
Overall, that Nintendo direct was great for me. Banjo & Kazooie were definitely the biggest part of the direct to me but after them I'd say BotW2, No More Heroes 3, Animal Crossing, Link's Awakening remake and Luigi's Mansion 3.

I still can't believe this is actually real. The first moment I'd say I started to want Banjo & Kazooie in Smash Brothers was probably a little before Brawl got announced but due to Microsoft buying Rare I quickly shelved this desire for many years until the Smash ballot started. At that time, I was thinking "maybe there's actually a slight chance this will happen now. Not very likely but...who knows."

Then Phil Spencer started to talk about the idea of Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. If I remember correctly, I didn't take it as seriously (as I apparently should have) but my hopes got higher on that day. Once Microsoft and Nintendo started to really talk and work together though, all buddy-buddy? Ah man, my desire for Banjo & Kazooie hit an all-time high. I knew it was probably now or never. Seeing that Jiggy bounce along the floor, I went mental. It was the best thing to lift my spirits, I knew what was coming and honestly shed some tears.

One other thing, I love you Duck Hunt but you're a ****. <3

Edit: How'd I forget to mention Pokemon Sword and Shield!?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Say, Zipzter Zipzter who's the artist who did the image in your avatar? They did a similar image with the Smasher villains/semivillains.

After everything that happened yesterday between this, NMH3 and Crash Team Racing, I had to pinch myself several times to make sure I wasn't dreaming on a quantum level.

Last edited:

Mellos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Beslic
Add me to the support list please- can't believe I was not on it.

Holy crap, it still feels unreal.

yani

Smash Lord
Please add me to the list as well. Not sure how I'm not on it already, I recognize a bunch of the original names on the list. Was there a new thread made at some point?

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
OH MAN. I was actually going to state a minor complaint about the 'RARE' logo being missing on Banjo & Kazooie's backpack but apparently it IS there! Man now I REALLY don't have anything to complain about for them. NUMBER 73 and its Banjo & Kazooie. What a time to be alive. Also, I love the picture of their alternate color not only because Banjo looks super cute in pink, but its a really cute and cool reference to Freezeezy Peak! Also I love you all and dammit, I change my mind, I'm here to stay! No more speculation! Just hype and happiness! Also, gotta say, I was super impressed and pleased with the 'Hero' of Dragon Quest, one because they were NOTHING like I'd thought they be, expecting Erdrick and seeing this 'Luminary' character, and then realizing there's four alternate versions of the Hero, one of them being Erdrick, and every other protagonist from the Dragon Quest series is part of their Final Smash! Really freaking cool, and while I know they're not the most exciting characters, I mean, is anyone really as exciting as Banjo & Kazooie finally returning after YEARS of isolation and bitterness? So I definitely wanna congratulate all the Dragon Quest supporters for finally getting their character(s!) in! I'm excited for the Fighter Pass now, and I finally bought the whole thing. Banjo-Kazooie were the dealbreaker and man is it worth it. Has anyone here watched any reaction videos of their return? The Nintendo store in NY had the absolute most amazing reaction I've ever seen for their return. Not only is it great seeing them finally return, but to such applause and gratitude. Dead and irrelevant franchise, my ***. Duck Hunt clone, my ***. I'm so grateful for yesterday. It is truly a day I will never forget.

Dyllybirdy

Smash Hero
Also, I love the picture of their alternate color not only because Banjo looks super cute in pink, but its a really cute and cool reference to Freezeezy Peak!
Oh? How so?

I know I should get what it's referencing, but I haven't played a Banjo game in ages. Sorry. Been thinking of replaying them now though!

And, concerning the rest of your post, you seem so ecstatic! I'm so happy for you! :)

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
OH MAN. I was actually going to state a minor complaint about the 'RARE' logo being missing on Banjo & Kazooie's backpack but apparently it IS there! Man now I REALLY don't have anything to complain about for them. NUMBER 73 and its Banjo & Kazooie. What a time to be alive. Also, I love the picture of their alternate color not only because Banjo looks super cute in pink, but its a really cute and cool reference to Freezeezy Peak! Also I love you all and dammit, I change my mind, I'm here to stay! No more speculation! Just hype and happiness! Also, gotta say, I was super impressed and pleased with the 'Hero' of Dragon Quest, one because they were NOTHING like I'd thought they be, expecting Erdrick and seeing this 'Luminary' character, and then realizing there's four alternate versions of the Hero, one of them being Erdrick, and every other protagonist from the Dragon Quest series is part of their Final Smash! Really freaking cool, and while I know they're not the most exciting characters, I mean, is anyone really as exciting as Banjo & Kazooie finally returning after YEARS of isolation and bitterness? So I definitely wanna congratulate all the Dragon Quest supporters for finally getting their character(s!) in! I'm excited for the Fighter Pass now, and I finally bought the whole thing. Banjo-Kazooie were the dealbreaker and man is it worth it. Has anyone here watched any reaction videos of their return? The Nintendo store in NY had the absolute most amazing reaction I've ever seen for their return. Not only is it great seeing them finally return, but to such applause and gratitude. Dead and irrelevant franchise, my ***. Duck Hunt clone, my ***. I'm so grateful for yesterday. It is truly a day I will never forget.
Funny you mention that! I never really watch those types of videos, but I ended up watching 3 hours of reaction videos last night and most of them seem like genuinely sincere reactions. I'm gonna be honest, I think that my eyes were at least teary for the better part of the day and evening, but it's such a beautiful thing to actually have happened.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Oh? How so?

I know I should get what it's referencing, but I haven't played a Banjo game in ages. Sorry. Been thinking of replaying them now though!

And, concerning the rest of your post, you seem so ecstatic! I'm so happy for you! :)
I am happy to oblige!

1560342380912.png

Here's the aforementioned image!

1560342414608.png

And here's the original game! I'm so freaking happy right now. I can't believe they're in this game.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
DAMN ! has any other character made THIS MANY PEOPLE CRY LIKE CHILDREN ! even people in japan cryed over Banjo Kazooie !

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
Weird we haven't hear anything about hitagi and xenother since this weeks aren't The so called leakers who denied banjo are legits?

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
DAMN ! has any other character made THIS MANY PEOPLE CRY LIKE CHILDREN ! even people in japan cryed over Banjo Kazooie !
It's been a looong time coming and was seen as practically impossible at one point as well so I'm not surprised in the slightest. The shock on people's faces, followed by tears and screams of joy, priceless.

Also I don't think this was posted here yet so I'll share it, I found it earlier.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I'm not gonna lie, I shed a few nerd tears when I watched the Banjo reveal for the first time.

We have to remember, Banjo-Kazooie is a game that a lot of us in rich countries grew up with, and that's the sort of thing that Smash is all about, it's a tribute and a callback to that, so of course people are going to cry over it.

I wish SO BADLY we could laugh-react to that.

Last edited:

EpicElliot

Smash Apprentice
Dose Anyone else feel like there heart & soul has healed ? this feels like we finally got closure with banjo kazooie. Even if we never get another B-K game ever again I would be at peace with that & since banjo & kazooie KNOW there video game characters I say smash ultimate is canon to banjo kazooie & is banjo threeie ! it takes place like this DKR, B-K, BKGR, BP, BT, BKN&B, S&SASR, Minecraft, Smash Ultimate ! (am I missing any games ?)

NEVER SAY NEVER !

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
But....that can't be.....we were told that they were irrelevant, only 90s nostalgia boomers liked them and they are unimportant and forgettable.

Would somebody really do that, just go on the internet and lie?
The irony of that kind of argument is not only that the typical age bracket of the Nintendo fanbase skews within the 20-30 demographics, but 90's nostalgia is very much what has been in for quiet some time (we are even getting a Space Jam sequel in 2021!), which would have ironically benefited any newcomer character that appeared in popular games from that era, including the bear and the bird! :p

In other words, we are running in the 90's.

Not going to lie, the metaphorical eating of humble pie by some will be a tiny bit enjoyable.

Kind of like the cherry on top of the honeycomb flavoured cake.

Cos like with K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie and the like, peoples preconceived ideas and narratives about what in their minds should and shouldn't be in Smash have been absolutely....well, smashed to pieces. (Pun intended)

But here, let me help you out there a bit fam:

20190610_181450.jpg

gg3.PNG

Screen Shot 2019-06-12 at 11.01.04 pm.png

Last edited:

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
I'm trying not to get my hopes up for a new game, but I stumbled upon this last night. Nothing we didn't already know until you get to Amazon's response at the bottom of the article. It's probably just normal PR talk but I can't help but think...

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
I would like to be put on the support list if possible!

Also while I’m skeptical of a new game already being in production I think that the massive popular reception to BK on social media and from the massive viewcount the trailer has amassed (especially in comparison to the Hero trailer) Nintendo and Rare have to be paying attention. There’s obviously a huge market and demand for the characters.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Not going to lie, the metaphorical eating of humble pie by some will be a tiny bit enjoyable.

Kind of like the cherry on top of the honeycomb flavoured cake.

Cos like with K.Rool, Ridley, Banjo-Kazooie and the like, peoples preconceived ideas and narratives about what in their minds should and shouldn't be in Smash have been absolutely....well, smashed to pieces. (Pun intended)

But here, let me help you out there a bit fam:

View attachment 227657

View attachment 227658

View attachment 227661

I saw this last week on this thread when I was perusing and I just laughed at the Thomas the Tank Engine meme cuz that was and still is my all-time favorite childhood shows. So to have that for a post fighting for Banjo & Kazooie being viable as fighters in Smash was just a little boost of happiness and hope to help make the dream a reality to me lol

Also is it just me or does Spiral Mountain's stage spin so you get to see EVERYTHING?! I don't think I've ever seen a stage like that in the history of Smash...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I am now officially happy with Smash. There is nothing Sakurai and Nintendo can do to improve it anymore, it is now perfect to me. ♡

Wanting the bear and bird in the game was something I never knew I really wanted until now, I guess I sorta lost hope that they would appear. But alas, here they are, making their big comeback.

Banjo-Tooie was my childhood, and also my brothers. We spent a lot of time not even trying to finish the game but just exploring the Isle o' Hags; finding out we can enter the cave above the waterfall in Spiral Mountain is still one of my favorite gaming memories ever. (:

Here's to Nintendo, to Microsoft, to Rare, to Sakurai, and of course to Phil Spencer for making me a truly happy boi, and for fulfilling the dreams of many Smash fans.

(And when I say Smash is perfect I mean it's perfect, like there is no other character I would want in the game because Banjo is the best it's gonna get!

I guess Travis Touchdown and Doom Slayer would be cool, but I really wouldn't mind if they don't appear. Banjo and I will be happy! )

TaichiYaegashi

Smash Ace
I would like to be put on the support list if possible!

Also while I’m skeptical of a new game already being in production I think that the massive popular reception to BK on social media and from the massive viewcount the trailer has amassed (especially in comparison to the Hero trailer) Nintendo and Rare have to be paying attention. There’s obviously a huge market and demand for the characters.
I think in 2 to 3 years time we'll get something (and I'm talking new), I'm fairly confident in that already. Even if it's just a very short teaser of "hey, a new game is in the works". Smash worked it's magic for Mega Man to at least some extent, I can see it working for Banjo & Kazooie too. The amount of views and likes alone on the trailer videos is amazing.

And yes, I know of the Switch Banjo & Kazooie game listing. Not 100% sure what to make of that just yet.

I'm very likely gonna dig into a new playthrough of Banjo Kazooie and/or Banjo Tooie soon, my soul demands it. The hype is real.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Grotesque steve: Haha! Banjo kazooie?!?! Who even are? You're irrelevant. You're nobody. Me tho...im the face of an empire. I'm modern, relevant, financial successful, hell even the creator likes my game. I deserve to be in smash!

Banjo: Omae wa mou shindeiru

Steve: N A N I ?!?!?!

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Okay, how in the world did I miss that I'm not on the support list? Please put me there as well!

Also, if no one has started a thread or something for the planning of the thank you-letter, could one of the mods help me set it up? I keep seeing comments about signatures, but no one has yet posting anything about making it lol.

Among all the hype and euphoria of our sweet victory I haven't had a chance to reflect, so here goes.

Just want to say thank you to everyone for sharing your passion for the carefree honey bear and sassy breegull.

Without the fans and the demand it would not have been possible to gain traction in getting Banjo-Kazooie in Smash.

So happy for everyone who has been involved and stuck fat, twenty years in the making. A lot of this is very similar about my thoughts for my previously most wanted character, K.Rool, so some of it is a copy and paste job.

I always loved and entertained the idea of Banjo-Kazooie being in Smash, but never thought it would happen.

Banjo-Kazooie has always been one of my beloved video game franchises and with BK and Tooie I would replay them once every few years. I grew up with them and within the golden era of SNES, N64 and PS1. Its been great to engage with others who have similar feelings, sharing love and passion for the same universe and characters as I do. Which has all eventually amalgamated into this snowball of momentum for an amazing and memorable character which has resulted in the ultimate prize.

Bear and bird making a rare revival in Smash is a significant occasion for the series, their inclusion is so much more than just another character getting in and fingers crossed there will be more to come in due course. Potential to reach new audiences, a chance to test the waters with renewed interest in the series and mainstream visibility, just to name a few. Their arrival has helped continue to tear the fabric of Smash speculation, "fan rules",etc from here on in with their unique circumstances.

Despite the momentum and acknowledgement, we've had to be defensive at times up among the hordes of misinformation, exaggeration and just plain haters. Sometimes you have to be seemingly greedy and vocal (respectfully) to get what you want, even in the face of animosity and misinformation. We have our characters and it is an amazing feeling, especially after so long. This is going to sound smug and more mean spirited than intended, but seeing people still salty and getting all passive aggressive about Banjo-Kazooie's inclusion is pretty funny, considering how much BK fans have copped over the years. You have a chuckle, realise what you've got and move on.

The gist of this is that this platform and love of the games has brought together so many like minded people for a common goal. Through sheer determination and passion, the fans have had a hand in saving bear and bird from the gaming graveyard. And as stated already, massive props to Phil, Sakurai, Rare, Microsoft, NIntendo and everyone else for making Project Dream a reality.

Thank you all and for that I am forever grateful. Look forward to further news and eventually using them out on the battlefield!

Cheers!

1560347697609.png

Last edited:

HaunterSpencer

Smash Cadet
NNID
HaunterSpencer
3DS FC
3583-3585-6107
Im gonna be direct with you all
The news about "not all Pokemon data will be on Sword/Shield" made me salty and angry

somehow, Banjo's reveal and Animal Crossing soothes the salt :V
god bless Sakurai

if Banjo Threeie Revival/Rare Replay will be on switch, hecc I might not even buy SwSh anymore :V

Top Bottom