• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Yeah, they simply CAN'T top themselves after Banjo.
I mean, there's still a lot of great characters they can choose from (like Doom Guy for example), but Banjo is a special case. He's not a 3d party character, he's a 1st party character that we lost 20 years ago because of legal circumstances. There was all the reason to think that we would have never seen him on Nintendo hardware again, much less as a playable character in Nintendo's crossover fighting game.
And, on top of that, his current owners haven't been doing almost anything at all with the series for the last 10 years.

Banjo is THE special case, the exception of all exceptions.
For us "boomers" who experienced his games on the N64, at least, no other character can carry the same emotional weight, I feel.
Banjo was always third party as they were always owned by Rare who weren’t owned by Nintendo.

It also doesn’t make sense for Nintendo to give away a character to someone that is going to be owned by a rival company (as Xbox was starting it’s career). That would be like giving away Pokémon to Game Freak who would now make Pokémon exclusive to Sony.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Anyone who wants to be in the Collab, I'll pencil you in as apart of the crowd if you want.
It'd be awesome if you could draw my character and you can draw him however you like. Just to be part of that crowd would be amazing for me.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Banjo was always third party as they were always owned by Rare who weren’t owned by Nintendo.

It also doesn’t make sense for Nintendo to give away a character to someone that is going to be owned by a rival company (as Xbox was starting it’s career). That would be like giving away Pokémon to Game Freak who would now make Pokémon exclusive to Sony.
No mate they were not third party. Banjo was a first party character up until the buyout. You are right it makes no sense to give away an IP for nothing and they didn't. It was a trade for some of the other Kongs Rare made so Xbox wouldn't have any hands in their DK series. In fact, in DKR the copyright even mentions Diddy and Banjo both belong to Nintendo.

Last edited:

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
They're asking what correlation does it have, which is none. No smash dlc has ever been announced at a tournament so why would they do it now? All s4 dlc was announced either at directs or special smash related videos like the final reveal(bayo) and the 50 fact extravaganza for mewtwo.

At this point, im just hoping for a leak on the level of the Bamco stuff thats been happening or at least a bunch of insiders going "He's in"

Not that i dont 100% trust shinobi at this point, but i just want this news to come out already. This probably is the most nervous ive been for a smash reveal since the grinch fake, but at least there, insiders werent backing it so it was easier to swallow lol.

Here i just need this to be done with lol

ze9

Smash Ace
No mate they were not third party. Banjo was a first party character up until the buyout. You are right it makes no sense to give away an IP for nothing and they didn't. It was a trade for some of the other Kongs Rare made so Xbox wouldn't have any hands in their DK series. In fact, in DKR the copyright even mentions Diddy and Banjo both belong to Nintendo.
Yeah, that's how it went down.
In DKR's credits it even mentions that Banjo is property of Nintendo.

But it's still absurd.
Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool and the likes were stil Nintendo's properties, iirc.
They literally traded Banjo & Kazooie for, like, Candy Kong and Chunky Kong and characters like that. Characters that Nintendo then proceeded to never ever use again.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Nintendo owned a 49% stake in Rare which classified them as a 2nd Party developer under Nintendo's umbrella of studios which is why Banjo-Kazooie and Rare's other franchises were exclusive to Nintendo consoles.

Banjo-Kazooie (Rareware) wasn't a pure Nintendo character by creation like in-house Nintendo characters Mario and Donkey Kong , But more similarly to Pikachu (Game Freak) and Kirby (HAL Laboratory), Who are still very much Nintendo characters and are exclusive to the platform, But were created by outside developers that work very closely and were backed by Nintendo, One could even possibly argue that Banjo-Kazooie (At the time) was considered more "Nintendo" than Pokemon or Kirby because Rare was practically half owned by Nintendo while Game Freak and HAL Laboratory were and are still independent companies.

The reason that may be on why Nintendo relinquished the Banjo-Kazooie IP is that Rare had some of the rights to certain Donkey Kong characters and I would think Nintendo wouldn't want characters associated with the Donkey Kong franchise crossing over to Xbox as they are very protective of their own IP's and in a show of good faith from Nintendo once Microsoft bought out Rare, Nintendo let Rare keep their original creations such as Banjo-Kazooie and Conker while Nintendo got to keep a lot of the content and characters associated with their own IP's in Donkey Kong and Star Fox.

Here are the legal and copyright print of Nintendo/Rare characters and as you can see in the Diddy Kong Racing copyright print Banjo was indeed owned by Nintendo (1997) as they licensed him to Rare even though Rare created it.

DpQlPleWkAsuQom.jpg
DpLzAVXW4AASoSN.jpg

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
"Banjo and Kazooie react to themselves being in Smash"

That sounds like a video I'd watch.
I remember seeing Ridley reacting to seeing himself in Smash:

Yeah, that's how it went down.
In DKR's credits it even mentions that Banjo is property of Nintendo.

But it's still absurd.
Diddy, Dixie, K. Rool and the likes were stil Nintendo's properties, iirc.
They literally traded Banjo & Kazooie for, like, Candy Kong and Chunky Kong and characters like that. Characters that Nintendo then proceeded to never ever use again.
Just like Organization said, Nintendo traded Banjo & Kazooie for the sake of having complete control over the DK IP and characters.

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
They're asking what correlation does it have, which is none. No smash dlc has ever been announced at a tournament so why would they do it now? All s4 dlc was announced either at directs or special smash related videos like the final reveal(bayo) and the 50 fact extravaganza for mewtwo.
Did you forget? Nintendo loves throwing in the left field.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Update: Nothing was announced at the Mario Maker Invitational, so maybe don’t expect much at all tonight.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Update: Nothing was announced at the Mario Maker Invitational, so maybe don’t expect much at all tonight.
I don't expect to see any Smash reveals until the Nintendo Direct on Wednesday to be honest.

Edit: is it Tuesday or Wednesday when the Nintendo Direct comes on?

Last edited:

Banjoisawesome2020

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1171-3129-5434
I think that the chances for a reveal at the tournament are going to go noticeably up if the Mario Maker invitational in about half an hour reveals the expected final theme. If it does, then it’s safer to get hype for a Smash reveal later tonight.

If it doesn’t, well, there’s always the 11th.
The Splatoon part has begun.

FatNerd

Smash Apprentice
tomorrow we will see if phil spencer will be with nintendo director or sakurai i'm so hype right now, and hope the insiders are right now

Datboigeno

Smash Lord
Alright so, With all the Banjo hype spreading around I got into a creative mood So I thought it'd be fun to draw a collab with several active and well known people in this thread with their Avatars gasping at what could Potentially be what we've always dreamed of. If you'd like to be included I could toss you in, I'm not that great at Drawing so please bare with me if your avatar comes out looking pretty funky.

Now this was a quick sketch I did real quick with the 4 people that hit my mind right off the bat. MissingGlitch MissingGlitch @SneakyLink MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny And @Connorb0t2 , Final piece will more likely have everyone in a small crowd together looking at the Bear and Bird in all their glory.

But uh, Yeah.
I know I've only become more active in this specific thread recently but I've supported the Bear and the Bird hardcore and would love to be included if possible!

Extrain

Smash Journeyman
So about that controller holder...
Note the word NINTENDO
Oh wow that’s interesting. Nintendo but only for Xbox and PS controllers lol. Maybe Nintendo Switch banjo merch will be announced! Probably not but I can dream

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Just a quick update on the Collab, I've added Lycan Rex Lycan Rex , Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium , and Mr. Stagg Mr. Stagg

Currently still trying to find the Right placements for everyone, so what you see here is still a WIP, just wanting to show off some more faces.

If you want to be included, Let me know, and as I said before, my art isn't completely amazing so if your avatar is a little jank, I apologize.

Smashboards banjo reactions.jpg

Bomber57

Smash Cadet
I just saw this link to what appears to be some kind of product listing for that Exquisite Gaming Banjo-Kazooie Cable Guy. The most important thing to note here is that it is called "Cable Guy - Nintendo Banjo Kazooie Phone & Controller Holder". Naturally, the key word here is the direct mention of Nintendo in the product name. Do you guys think it means anything?

The Plot Thicken

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So about that controller holder...

https://www.cld.be/ShowItem.aspx?id_art=104639

Note the word NINTENDO
Either that's a mistake, or Nintendo actually did buy the Banjo-Kazooie IP. I'm leaning more towards it being a mistake, but I would love to see Nintendo handle a new BK game and BK in Smash.

Just a quick update on the Collab, I've added Lycan Rex Lycan Rex , Evil Trapezium Evil Trapezium , and Mr. Stagg Mr. Stagg

Currently still trying to find the Right placements for everyone, so what you see here is still a WIP, just wanting to show off some more faces.

If you want to be included, Let me know, and as I said before, my art isn't completely amazing so if your avatar is a little jank, I apologize.

View attachment 226651
Feel free to add me!

Top Bottom