• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RawkHawk2010

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5576-5912-4888
So like, considering Joker set the precedent for DLC Fighters being accompanied by Spirits, how will Banjo's go?

Sonic will obviously be Mr. Fit.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What worries me about a new Banjo is that Kirkhope has been downplaying everything Banjo lately which makes me think he won't be involved if there is another one. Or maybe he's just trolling.
There's always the possibility he's trolling, but I don't think that's Grant's style. He genuinely loves Banjo & Kazooie, and the fans, so I feel like if he knew something, he'd simply not talk about it. If I were to guess, I think this means we may not be getting a new game, at least not yet, as I can't imagine a new game being made without Grant at the initial meetings. The soundtrack was so important to the games and its themes, he was the voice of Mumbo and a variety of other characters. However, if they were doing a remaster, or porting the games to Switch, those could happen without his involvement (at least initially, perhaps he'd update the music for a remaster).

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
There's always the possibility he's trolling, but I don't think that's Grant's style. He genuinely loves Banjo & Kazooie, and the fans, so I feel like if he knew something, he'd simply not talk about it. If I were to guess, I think this means we may not be getting a new game, at least not yet, as I can't imagine a new game being made without Grant at the initial meetings. The soundtrack was so important to the games and its themes, he was the voice of Mumbo and a variety of other characters. However, if they were doing a remaster, or porting the games to Switch, those could happen without his involvement (at least initially, perhaps he'd update the music for a remaster).
That's actually a good point. Would they remake Banjo-Kazooie without Grant's involvement?

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
I actually think of it as the opposite. If they had insider info, they would not speculate on it. It's what they, and other media outlets (like Kinda Funny Games' Greg) do so that they aren't betraying their sources (and closer to release, that source may be official Nintendo material). The good news is that if they did have insider information, this rumor doesn't conflict with it. If it did, then they wouldn't talk about it, like the Grinch fiasco. But I don't think they're speculating on info they have insider information on.

EDIT:

It annoys me they still do that, since with the Grinch fiasco we now know they do get insider information. What turned me off to GameXplain was that disconnect.
I was more turned off by a couple of them (I think it was Jon and Andre... mostly Andre) being assholes on Twitter during the whole Grinch thing.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Couldn't they technically get Robin Beanland (Who is still at Rare by the way) to do the Soundtrack for a remaster or to a much lesser extent possibly a sequel ?

Don't get me wrong, Grant Kirkhope is critcal to the score for Banjo-Kazooie and I couldn't see it any other way, But if for whatever reason let's say they do a remaster and Kirkhope isn't involved they could reach out to Beanland who if I'm not mistaken helped out with some of the soundtrack for Nuts & Bolts and Rare Replay themes of some of the franchise's so at least he's no stranger to the Banjo-Kazooie series.

Grant Kirkhope is a must, But my back up plan would be longtime Rare's in-house composer Robin Beanland to fill in that role if Grant Kirkhope is not involved or available.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
That's actually a good point. Would they remake Banjo-Kazooie without Grant's involvement?
I couldn't imagine it myself. And since Grant is still in the business, coming off hot from having the honor of working on a Mario game, I would think they'd be crazy not to have him on board. Of course, I'm hoping for a remaster rather than a remake--I don't trust Microsoft/Rare with making something new, even passing it off to another developer is risky. Their idea of remaking the games with a twist would have been a neat idea a decade ago, but they ruined it by making Nuts & Bolts instead. With the pessimism that resulted from that, they should play it safe. Test the waters by making the same game, modern graphics and optional bonus material, and if sales are good, use that new engine to be the base for a Threeie. The N-Sane trilogy showed that can be possible. Would be amazing to have all three in a consistent art style.

That being said, despite my optimism lately with the Banjo in Smash rumors, I'm still fairly skeptical of a Threeie. It really depends on if they're able to find a developer so that Rare doesn't work on it. It did happen with Killer Instinct and Battletoads, so who knows.

T2by4

Smash Lord
I doubt you guys heard of this:
Apparently there's going to be a 2 meter Banjo statue on the XBox area at E3. There was a photo but it was deleted, there's someone trying to get a copy of it right now.
I can't believe all the love that is coming your guys way! All that waiting just might pull off big time. Guess it's true about someone getting the "red carpet" treatment this E3. This is crazy.

Last edited:

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524
Are you guys gonna tune in on the Smash tournament tomorrow? Maybe we'll get an announcement there.
i asked about that and the only response i got was "Zero chance anything is revealed at the tournament" the consensus seems to be that nintendo doesn't really see the tournaments as anything more than silly little fluff pieces to wow the causal crowd

anything major would be revealed during The E3 Direct

T2by4

Smash Lord
Pretty sure the guy who created K rool himself had no idea k rool was going to be in smash, and as grant mentioned his music is owned by microsoft so he wouldn't know if they used his music.

ZenythSmash

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2552-4344-0495
The Star Fox leak is different. Kotaku reported it as a rumor and I think it was considered just that, a rumor. People weren’t throwing their weight behind it like they are now.
plus i already reported to several people that the rumor was confirmed a industry hoax and nothing to do with Star Link's coincidental new mode months ago
it's not worth going back on if the game itself never existed

MyBrokenLuigiAmiibo

Smash Cadet
duuuuuuuude. wouldn't it be bonkers if nintendo and microsoft came to a deal something similar like what marvel studios and sony came to with spider-man? marvel made the movies with input from sony while sony handled distribution. marvel was then able to integrate the spider-man property into the mcu. maybe nintendo could work on developing the game in-house (or with one of its subsidiaries like retro studios) while microsoft would handle distributing? then nintendo could put b&k in some of their own games and be allowed to have whatever b&k games are made on the switch in exchange. maybe it wouldn't be exactly that, but something along those lines. the marvel/sony deal was pretty historic, and it set some level of precedent. i dunno. just musing. 0 chance that would actually happen...but who knows, people keep saying how chummy nintendo and microsoft have been

Last edited:

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure the guy who created K rool himself had no idea k rool was going to be in smash, and as grant mentioned his music is owned by microsoft so he wouldn't know if they used his music.
Sure but they'd want him to make new music, or remaster his old work, were a new Banjo to come out. He's integral to the identity of Banjo-Kazooie.

Regardless it looks like this statue thing is bunk.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Personally, if we DO end up getting a double-reveal at E3, of course I'm hoping for Banjo-Kazooie, but I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Sora; I really buy that Erdrick is a "lock" (all the "evidence" that I've seen seems shaky at best), and HMK's video explained why what Hashimoto said technically doesn't mean that Sora is disconfirmed, so at the very least, I feel that Sora's still on the table, and I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for him!
HMK does provide a compelling argument because if you want to hide something, you got to blend your answer in with "no" answers (Double entendre). If Banjo Kazooie are locks at this point, I hope Sora does get in because Sora has been requested for nearly as long. I think requests for Sora started in Brawl as far as I'm aware of.

Also, I want so badly for this to be real

View attachment 226561
Googly eyes! That would be an awesome hat!

What worries me about a new Banjo is that Kirkhope has been downplaying everything Banjo lately which makes me think he won't be involved if there is another one. Or maybe he's just trolling.
Considering that Playtonic is where all his bros are, he probably chose to work on Yooka Laylee over a Banjo Kazooie game. Sure he loves Banjo Kazooie but I bet he loves his pals more.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Considering that Playtonic is where all his bros are, he probably chose to work on Yooka Laylee over a Banjo Kazooie game. Sure he loves Banjo Kazooie but I bet he loves his pals more.
If Grant had to make a choice, and no reason that I know he couldn't do both if scheduling worked, I think he'd pick Banjo, and I bet all of those at Playtonic would understand--they were tasked to try to make a Banjo-Kazooie game without Banjo & Kazooie. If they had a chance to work with the IP, they'd do it, unlike those still at Rare. Plus, Impossible Lair is more of a take on Donkey Kong Country, so I think they'd be fine with just having Wise. Would fit, Kirkhope for Banjo, Wise for something DKC-adjacent. Banjo is essentially Grant's baby and I just can't see them doing something new (either new game, or remaster) without him.

EDIT: Plus, his statements indicate that he hasn't yet been approached about Banjo at all. So, he can't make the choice if it wasn't given to him.

Last edited:

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
the consensus seems to be that nintendo doesn't really see the tournaments as anything more than silly little fluff pieces to wow the causal crowd
That's good, because Smash competitive players see it as nothing more than a silly fluff piece either, in addition to a spit in the scene's faces.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Eh I'd still tune in. You never know if we might get a reveal
I might tune in just for the chance it happens, though I'm pretty sure we won't get a reveal at the tournament, and I also don't expect two character announcements. Even a shadow drop, which I'd love, I feel is too hopeful.

Though, if Sakurai was indeed working on 3 characters, one being Joker, then perhaps releasing the other two soon makes sense, and then they'll go back to silence for months while they finish working on the last 2 to be revealed in the fall and December. I can see any of those possibilities happening, and if Banjo & Kazooie are in, I'm fine with whatever way they decide.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
Eh I'd still tune in. You never know if we might get a reveal

You're absolutely correct but I know others will be watching it and I'm a part of so many social media groups, I'll be notified almost immediately. I'd rather let someone else sit through that insufferable excuse for a tournament and be a few minutes late on an announcement than support it with streams. No offense intended to anyone watching it, and I hope you're right about it though.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
You're absolutely correct but I know others will be watching it and I'm a part of so many social media groups, I'll be notified almost immediately. I'd rather let someone else sit through that insufferable excuse for a tournament and be a few minutes late on an announcement than support it with streams. No offense intended to anyone watching it, and I hope you're right about it though.
If anything does happen be sure to post it here! Unfortunately for me I'll be working through the good stuff and would have to go offline to at least be surprised a little.

T∅XIC HYDRA

Smash Cadet
I also don't expect two character announcements. Even a shadow drop, which I'd love, I feel is too hopeful.
You think so? We were told very early on the team was working on three characters. I think in the interest of releasing all DLC by February and making things really hype at E3, I actually EXPECT a shadow drop and an announcement.

You gotta think too. Xbox is bringing a totally new console to E3 more than likely. Nintendo better be hitting grand slams (which I don't doubt their ability to do)

And call me delusional but I expect some combination of Sora/Sephiroth/Erdrick and Banjo.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
This is from a person competing in the tournament:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...and-tournaments.115986/page-176#post-21564880

"Although none of us know anything specific, everyone competing here is fairly certain something will be revealed tomorrow. It’s just a feeling, though. They’re keeping us in the dark about all kinds of details. We couldn’t even see the stage area until this afternoon lol."

Just something to keep in mind. (Please don't freak out if they only reveal Erdrick lol.)

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ni...and-tournaments.115986/page-176#post-21564880

"Although none of us know anything specific, everyone competing here is fairly certain something will be revealed tomorrow. It’s just a feeling, though. They’re keeping us in the dark about all kinds of details. We couldn’t even see the stage area until this afternoon lol."

Just something to keep in mind. (Please don't freak out if they only reveal Erdrick lol.)
I'm still on the fence with Erdrick. As far as we know, Tansut and Vergeben are the only leakers who are saying Erdrick and Imran is saying he doesn't believe that. Well there is only one way to find out.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I'm still on the fence with Erdrick. As far as we know, Tansut and Vergeben are the only leakers who are saying Erdrick and Imran is saying he doesn't believe that. Well there is only one way to find out.
It's not that he doesn't believe it, it's just he thinks that there's no basis for the rumors, though does expect something Dragon Quest related. He does seem more confident about the Banjo rumors than the Erdrick ones. I will say I've been skeptical of Erdrick being next, as I feel like while the rumors of his inclusion are solid, the idea he's next is on purely speculation that was taken as gospel. We'll see soon enough.

Between Shinobi's timing, Imran's and GameXplain's focus on Banjo--I think Banjo's next, and like GameXplain said, Erdrick makes more sense closer to the fall. Makes sense to me, though I'm biased, so I'm going to take a big heaping grain of salt on that just in case.

~The Koopa King~

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3169-5182-0524

that does sound odd....I'm used to these tournaments just not having any major announcements and just being a little warm-up act for the crowd/viewers

so I'm not really sure what would make this time any different and suddenly make the players assume something is being announced in the midst of these tournaments

dlewis53

Smash Lord
So, I just want some quick clarification on something: when you guys say that you're expecting something to be "shadow dropped", does that mean that it'll be dropped somewhat casually and without warning, like what happened with Joker's gameplay trailer?

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Alright so, With all the Banjo hype spreading around I got into a creative mood So I thought it'd be fun to draw a collab with several active and well known people in this thread with their Avatars gasping at what could Potentially be what we've always dreamed of. If you'd like to be included I could toss you in, I'm not that great at Drawing so please bare with me if your avatar comes out looking pretty funky.

Now this was a quick sketch I did real quick with the 4 people that hit my mind right off the bat. MissingGlitch MissingGlitch SneakyLink SneakyLink MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny And @Connorb0t2 , Final piece will more likely have everyone in a small crowd together looking at the Bear and Bird in all their glory.

But uh, Yeah.

Attachments

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Alright so, With all the Banjo hype spreading around I got into a creative mood So I thought it'd be fun to draw a collab with several active and well known people in this thread with their Avatars gasping at what could Potentially be what we've always dreamed of. If you'd like to be included I could toss you in, I'm not that great at Drawing so please bare with me if your avatar comes out looking pretty funky.

Now this was a quick sketch I did real quick with the 4 people that hit my mind right off the bat. MissingGlitch MissingGlitch SneakyLink SneakyLink MonkeyDLenny MonkeyDLenny And @Connorb0t2 , Final piece will more likely have everyone in a small crowd together looking at the Bear and Bird in all their glory.

But uh, Yeah.
I’m the smug one.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

But uh, Yeah.
This looks absolutely sick! I can't wait to see the final piece! Sorry if I sound obnoxious but I'm really excited to see the fanart that will come with Banjo Kazooie's inclusion.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!

But uh, Yeah.
I've embraced my inner Carl so if you want to put me in just put in Carl. Carl is my spirit animal.

tonygameman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3706-2453-6800
I doubt you guys heard of this:
Apparently there's going to be a 2 meter Banjo statue on the XBox area at E3. There was a photo but it was deleted, there's someone trying to get a copy of it right now.
I'd like to ask what his design is in this so-called statue. Classic/N64 (expecting this one) or Nuts & Bolts (hated that so much)?

Last edited:

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I'd like to ask what his design is in this so-called statue. Classic/N64 (expecting this one) or Nuts & Bolts (hated that so much)?
If there is a statue, it’s without a doubt the incredibly recent redesign used for the figures and such, which is Classic but slightly different.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Hey I'm a Erdrick supporter could ya add me to the list banjo should have been in since melee this is a long time coming

RingJ5

Smash Ace
I suppose you can add me to the list as well, if it’s still being updated. I’m quite excited for the next few days.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806
Ryu was announced at the Smash tournament in E3 2015 wasn't he?
He wasn't. He was announced in a Smash presentation seperate from all the other Nintendo stuff at E3.

Top Bottom