• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If the placeholders are any indication, they decided on her a few weeks after the ballot, not before it. A ballot like that seems like it would be extremely front-loaded (most of the votes would be likely be at the very beginning; people might keep voting throughout, but it seems like it would either slow down or be people who are voting a second or third time), we don't know how they handled multiple submissions from the same IP address (did they only count the first one? The last one? What about siblings who share a computer, or public computers like ones at a library?), and Bayonetta 2 came out around the same time as Smash for 3DS, so there was definitely interest.

I'm just tired of hearing these conspiracy theories. If Corrin had been announced as the ballot winner, then I'd see why people would say that it was fixed - his inclusion only seems to promote an upcoming Nintendo game, and it seems unlikely that he'd have a lot of popularity outside of Japan given that his game wasn't released outside of Japan at the time. I just don't see what Nintendo has to gain by supposedly rigging the ballot in favour of a relatively niche third party character, albeit one with a major Wii U exclusive game, (meaning that they wouldn't see much of a profit from the decision) over one that they fully own, and maintaining that "lie" for several years when there's no benefit.

A simpler explanation is that Bayonetta 2 came out at the right time, was generally seen as a big reason to own the Wii U (and a Smash DLC ballot would likely appeal to people who already had Smash for Wii U or 3DS), and more popular characters like Snake have major issues that would keep them out of the game.

It likely also helped that they were already working with Sega, and Bayonetta's games gave her a complete moveset to work with, making it easier to complete her quickly. (whereas with someone like K. Rool, most of his moves would need to be made from scratch)
To clear up something, Sakurai never actually said Bayonetta was 1st place across the world. Or that she got in due to the ballot. So her being a "ballot winner" isn't necessarily true.

Though I might've misread the interview, but I don't think it said she got in due the ballot either? Did I miss that?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
To clear up something, Sakurai never actually said Bayonetta was 1st place across the world. Or that she got in due to the ballot. So her being a "ballot winner" isn't necessarily true.

Though I might've misread the interview, but I don't think it said she got in due the ballot either? Did I miss that?
I'm mainly going by this presentation. She was described as being #1 in Europe for the Smash Ballot, top 5 in North America (or the US), and out of negotiable and realizable characters (so not counting characters whose companies wouldn't cooperate and characters who couldn't work on the systems that the game is on), she came in first. The "negotiable and realizable characters" bit is a little vague, but it's all we have to go on.

To try and get this back on topic, I feel like Banjo would have done well on the Smash Ballot, but Microsoft was nowhere near as cooperative a few years ago as they are now.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm mainly going by this presentation. She was described as being #1 in Europe for the Smash Ballot, top 5 in North America (or the US), and out of negotiable and realizable characters (so not counting characters whose companies wouldn't cooperate and characters who couldn't work on the systems that the game is on), she came in first. The "negotiable and realizable characters" bit is a little vague, but it's all we have to go on.
That doesn't tell me she was chosen because of the ballot, just that her score was high.

Once I found about the datamine, which makes it clear she had to have started work on pretty fast, it seems very unlikely the ballot was an actual influence. And I'm talking about the latest set of information Ayumi posted. If that proves it, sure. Otherwise, I don't believe she was definitely in cause of the ballot. Negotiations take a long time. My only theory is that she was an Assist Trophy at first and the ballot giving enough votes super early on convinced them to make her playable. Sega possibly were super quick to say yes, so all they had to do was take the data and re-label it under "being a fighter". I don't hold much to this theory, mind you, but there's more than one explanation here. Especially when two weeks is barely enough time for major licensing as is. We don't know how long it took to gather up all those votes you cited. That could've happened near the end of the ballot too.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Thanks lads

A lot of this evidence is debateable. For example, I believe Brave is Erdrick. But a lot of this (particularly the Lootcrate biz) really makes you think.
Yeah, like I said in my post: All of this evidence in favor of Banjo can easily be circumstantial or mere coincidence. But when you take into account that all Steve has going for him is a bunch of insiders with mixed signals, and two of Mojangs own staff dismissing his chances of being playable; circumstantial is looking pretty good from here

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
I'm having a hard time thinking of a moveset for Banjo and Kazooie. Not because they don't have enough moves, but because they have so many moves that every input has several viable possibilities and I can't think of the best one for all but a few of them.

For example, their forward smash must be the Breegull Bash, their down-air must be the Beak Buster, their grab must use the wrench from Nuts & Bolts, and their Final Smash must be the Daddy T. Rex transformation. Mumbo appears to transform the pair, who then blast everyone away with a mighty roar! Or should it be something like Cook Kirby, only instead of putting everyone in a cooking pot, they transform into a washing machine, suck up some unlucky opponents, and put them through a heavy cycle before blasting them out with full force? Decisions, decisions!

Also, what should their home stage be? Spiral Mountain is obvious but not very exciting. Grunty's Lair is the most iconic Banjo locale, but it's big and broad and doesn't have a lot of platforms for hopping on, so it's not very Smash-friendly. There's also Click Clock Wood, but Yoshi's Island already did the seasons gimmick. Hmm.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I'm having a hard time thinking of a moveset for Banjo and Kazooie. Not because they don't have enough moves, but because they have so many moves that every input has several viable possibilities and I can't think of the best one for all but a few of them.

For example, their forward smash must be the Breegull Bash, their down-air must be the Beak Buster, their grab must use the wrench from Nuts & Bolts, and their Final Smash must be the Daddy T. Rex transformation. Mumbo appears to transform the pair, who then blast everyone away with a mighty roar! Or should it be something like Cook Kirby, only instead of putting everyone in a cooking pot, they transform into a washing machine, suck up some unlucky opponents, and put them through a heavy cycle before blasting them out with full force? Decisions, decisions!

Also, what should their home stage be? Spiral Mountain is obvious but not very exciting. Grunty's Lair is the most iconic Banjo locale, but it's big and broad and doesn't have a lot of platforms for hopping on, so it's not very Smash-friendly. There's also Click Clock Wood, but Yoshi's Island already did the seasons gimmick. Hmm.

One idea I've had was to make the dash attack Wonderwing. Just like K. Rool's stomach it has super-armor, and it can actually be a really viable kill-move like Dedede's. However, if you run out of feathers it turns into a standard roll like DK's.

As for the stage: Top of the Tower is a popular one, but it seems a little bland for a stage representing Banjo-Kazooie. Spiral Mountain is an obvious one. The two most iconic worlds from the first game strike me as Treasure Trove Cove and Click Clock Wood.

My ideal stage would be Gruntilda's lair; a stage with a bit of a standard setup like Mementos. Grunty will fly around in the background and use her magic to make the stage transform into the various worlds of BK1 along with the background. Just like Mementos, if you want the stage to only stick to one of the worlds, set the music.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Yeah I think most of us can agree that forward smash shoud be Bregull Bash, Though I really love Daddy T. Rex and it's kind of a toss up between the 2, But I think I rather the Jinijonator be the final smash since finishers in Ultimate are more fast, vicious, cinematic and more automatic this time around.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Breegull Bash

Down Smash: Pack Whack (360 Spin)

Up Smash: (3 Ideas)

1. An Upward Triple Peck

2.1-2 Wing Whack followed by a Final Peck

3. Kazooie spins like a turbine upward damaging her oppenent with her wings and beak.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Down A in air should be a ground pound Beak Buster move from banjo kazooie BUT if you HOLD Down A in the air it turns into the Beak Drill move from Banjo Tooie

Beak Buster is just a fast ground pound move
Beak Drill has them float in place for a second to spin & charge up then drill down causing masive dammege if hit (multihit move)

a few banjo kazooie moves can be this way too like banjo's dash attack can be the roll attack but if you sweetspot it it will turn into the roll attack from tooie where kazooie comes out & rolls with banjo (forget the moves names )

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
One idea I've had was to make the dash attack Wonderwing. Just like K. Rool's stomach it has super-armor, and it can actually be a really viable kill-move like Dedede's. However, if you run out of feathers it turns into a standard roll like DK's.
See, that's what I'm talking about. Wonderwing and the roll attack are both perfect dash attacks for Banjo and Kazooie. My gut says the roll attack is more appropriate (especially if it's the one that integrates Kazooie that JonSmash mentioned) since that's probably the attack you use most in the Banjo games, but Wonderwing is unique to the characters and looks much prettier. I'm not sure I like the "running out of feathers" mechanic though. Especially not for a normal move.

As for the stage: Top of the Tower is a popular one, but it seems a little bland for a stage representing Banjo-Kazooie. Spiral Mountain is an obvious one. The two most iconic worlds from the first game strike me as Treasure Trove Cove and Click Clock Wood.
Nah, not into it. It's a pretty dull locale, and Banjo is all about these fantastical, colorful worlds. Click Clock Wood is the one I'd personally choose, but like I said, Yoshi's Island already does the season-changing gimmick and I'd hate if CCW looked like a knockoff.

Other good choices could be Rusty Bucket Bay, Terrydactyland, and maybe... Cloud Cuckoo Land? Showdown Town? Man, I don't know!

My ideal stage would be Gruntilda's lair; a stage with a bit of a standard setup like Mementos. Grunty will fly around in the background and use her magic to make the stage transform into the various worlds of BK1 along with the background. Just like Mementos, if you want the stage to only stick to one of the worlds, set the music.
That sounds more like Mushroom Kingdom U, to be honest! I doubt they'll get something so elaborate. The question is, what part of Grunty's lair would this be? The most frequently visited rooms are the one with the Grunty mosaic on the floor, the one that leads to the Freezeezy Peak lobby, and the Click Clock Wood lobby, and none of them are all that exciting. Maybe fighting on the big Grunty statue near Bubblegloop Swamp?

Yeah I think most of us can agree that forward smash shoud be Bregull Bash, Though I really love Daddy T. Rex and it's kind of a toss up between the 2, But I think I rather the Jinijonator be the final smash since finishers in Ultimate are more fast, vicious, cinematic and more automatic this time around.
Jinjonator isn't a bad idea but I'd hate it if something as iconic as the transformations weren't represented at all. Washing machine is the most popular and Daddy T. rex is the most spectacular, and I think they could all be done as quickly as something like Yoshi, Ridley, or King K. Rool's Final Smashes.

Smash Attacks:

Forward Smash: Breegull Bash

Down Smash: Pack Whack (360 Spin)

Up Smash: (3 Ideas)

1. An Upward Triple Peck

2.1-2 Wing Whack followed by a Final Peck

3. Kazooie spins like a turbine upward damaging her oppenent with her wings and beak.
Up-smash's gotta be Flipflap, man.

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
I've said it before and I'll keep sayin' it

Unless it comes from Nintendo and Sakurai

I ain't believing n o t h i n g

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Even with all this evidence. I still feel super skeptical. Everyone seems likely until the reveal.
I'm with you, MG. No one is confirmed until they are officially revealed in a Nintendo Direct or their own official trailer by Nintendo, Sakurai and his team. Lots of other characters have tons of evidence stacked for and against them, honestly, although due to being glued solely to this particular thread, I have no idea what characters have the most evidence for or against them other than the usual ones mentioned here such as Erdrick, Artorias, Doom Slayer, Steve, Ryu Hayabusa, and of course Banjo & Kazooie. I really do hope whoever they reveal at E3 will be some big recognizable showstopping names worth all this wait.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Against my better judgment, I've basically accepted Google Theory whole hog. Being skeptical may be sensible but it sure as heck isn't fun.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Nintendo owns the Donkey Kong IP and everything associated with it, including King K. Rool. They even own Krunch from Diddy Kong Racing (their only DKR character besides Diddy) because the manual says he's a Kremling.
Haha, whoops, didn’t mean to type K.Rool. Think he was just in my head since I was thinking about Rare related characters. Will go ahead and fix that!

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Well you are in luck. I just so happened to have come up a Banjo Kazooie moveset back in the Smash 4 days. I have listed everything down and the kitchen sink. This one is going to be long. Please tell me if I have missed anything.

Neutral combo: Banjo swipes with his left claw, then his right claw and Kazooie pops out of the bag and finishes the combo with a peck. It is a 3 hit combo.

Dash Attack: Banjo executes the roll attack from Banjo Kazooie and Kazooie wraps around him like in Banjo Tooie.

Side Tilt: Kazooie pops out of her bag while Banjo crouches over to reach in for a peck attack.

Down Tilt: Kazooie's wings elongate and flaps them together like she is clapping. This attack has a small wind box if the opponent is far enough to just miss the attack.

Up Tilt: Banjo attacks with a headbutt upwards with Kazooie following along with a peck. Banjo headbutts just like Mario's Up smash in Super Smash Bros. N64 that combos into Kazooie's peck attack afterwards

Neutral Aerial: Banjo performs the pack whack in a vertical motion where he flips to attack. Kazooie extends her neck to peck at anyone. Kazooie is the sweet spot and knock back from it depends on which way Kazooie was facing before the hit was done.

Forward Aerial: Banjo bends his head down allowing Kazooie to attack. Kazooie then performs the Rat-a-tat Rap move from Banjo Kazooie that does multiple hits.

Back Aerial: Kazooie slashes both of her wings apart from behind like swords while Banjo looks back to see what Kazooie is doing. This does moderate knock back.

Up Aerial: Banjo and Kazooie perform a pseudo flap flip to kick both of his feet upwards. This has high knock back and is similar to Fox's up aerial.

Down Aerial: Banjo grabs his backpack and swings it downwards while Kazooie pecks her beak. This is a meteor smash.

Forward Smash: Banjo and Kazooie perform the Beak barge ability where Kazooie will lunge forward with Banjo in tow.

Up Smash: Banjo and Kazooie perform the flap flip technique but it is performed like a flipping bicycle kick instead of a jump.

Down Smash: Banjo grabs Kazooie's feet from the backpack and readies his attack. Banjo then performs the Breegul Bash ability where he grabs Kazooie like a club and slams her down onto the floor.

Neutral Special: Egg Firing/Egg aiming - Kazooie fires three normal eggs in a burst shot fashion. Holding down the B button performs Kazooie's egg aim and uses egg grenades instead, allowing Kazooie to aim with a reticle and releasing the button will let Kazooie shoot one egg grenade in the specified direction.

Side Special: Talon Missile - Banjo ducks down and then Kazooie launches herself forward. It is the grounded version of the Talon Torpedo where she will target the closest enemy in sight and give chase. She will return to Banjo once she successfully hits her target or gets hit.

Up Special: Kazooie Flight - Kazooie will take flight inside Banjo's backpack, taking him aflight as well where she will quickly use up all of her feathers in an aesthetic sense and the duo will go into freefall. Similar to Pit's

Down Special: Clockwork Kazooie - Essentially a clone of Bowser Jr's Mecha Koopa. Kazooie coughs out a Clockwork Kazooie egg. It will walk around the stage and explode after 5 seconds. It can be picked up and thrown to explode on contact.

Final Smash: Dino Banjo & Dragon Kazooie - Kazooie flies out from Banjo's bag and is engulfed in a mystery egg that transforms her into Dragon Kazooie where Kazooie dashes across the stage to hit any opponents while Banjo watches. If any opponent is hit by it, they will be brought to the top of the screen where Kazooie circles around and shoots fire and ice eggs at the tumbling opponent(s). Once exausted of the eggs, Dinosaur Banjo will appear and take a large chomp at the helpless opponents. If the opponents are above 100%, it will instantly KO the opponent, otherwise they'll be sent flying. Banjo and Kazooie then return to their normal selves.

Grab and pummel animations: Kazooie exits Banjo's bag as Banjo swings his backpack towards the enemy somewhat similar to the Taxi Pack. The enemy is then trapped in the bag where Kazooie pecks at the enemy.

Forward throw: Banjo kicks the bottom of the backpack which launches the opponent out of the backpack to where Kazooie will return to.

Back throw: Banjo performs a swing similar to the pack whack on the enemy inside until he throws them out of his backpack to where Kazooie will return to.

Up throw: Banjo swings his backpack upwards to where Kazooie pecks the underside of the backpack which will launch the opponent upwards. Kazooie will return to the backpack afterwards.

Down throw: Banjo slams the backpack down and Kazooie performs the bill drill ability where Banjo will clap at Kazooie until the opponent is sent out of the backpack. Kazooie will return to the backpack afterwards.

Entrance animation: A picture frame appears at the start of the match with jiggies placing themselves together to make a Banjo Kazooie painting. Once completed, Banjo and Kazooie will jump out of the painting with it disappearing afterwards.

Crouch/Crawl: Banjo crouches exactly as he does in the games. He cannot crawl.

Idle animation 1: Kazooie pokes out from Banjo's backpack and starts playfully pecking Banjo while he tries to scratch her away. Kazooie laughs and then returns to the backpack.

Idle animation 2: Banjo holds his hand up to his chin while Kazooie shifts from left to right trying to see what's going on from afar. Banjo then puts both hands on his hips and nods while Kazooie returns to the backpack.

Sneaking: Banjo tip-toes like he does in his games.

Walking: Banjo casually walks along as he does in his games.

Running: Banjo and Kazooie side flip around as Kazooie performs the talon trot ability. If Kazooie jumps or stops, Banjo and Kazooie will once again side flip to allow Banjo to stand up or jump.

Item grab idle: Kazooie picks up the item and stays above the backpack at waist level.

Item throw normal: Kazooie throws the item casually as if she is throwing it away.

Item throw smash: Kazooie throws the item with much more force.

Batter Item neutral: Kazooie leans on top of Banjo to hit anyone in front of him.

Batter Item forward tilt: Kazooie swings the battering item forward with Banjo adjusting himself for Kazooie to get the most reach

Batter Item Smash attack: Kazooie swings the battering item with Banjo spinning around to let them item hit the opponent.

Home-run bat Smash: Kazooie cheekily winds up a swing to hit the unaware Banjo. At the apex of her swing, Banjo looks down to see something and Kazooie misses the swing which will hit any opponent in front of them.

Shooting item: Kazooie takes aim with the weapon while Banjo crouches down as if performing the egg firing ability.

Heavy item carry: Banjo lifts up the item with a little struggle and holds it similarly to Mario, except that Kazooie tries to lift it with Banjo.

Hold Assist Trophy/Special Flag/Bomber: Kazooie holds up the item to the sky with an open mouth smile expression as with Banjo who looks up with both fists on his hips. When the special flag has been collected, Banjo jumps slightly upwards as he gives a hi-five to Kazooie.

Sleep: Banjo hops into his Backpack and kicks a sleeping Kazooie out to the top of the backpack. Banjo's head is visible from the top and sleeps in the same position as he does when he sleeps in the intro cutscene of the game. This references the snooze pack ability.

Wake up: Kazooie realises where she is and pecks Banjo to wake up where he swaps places with Kazooie to return to the idle animation.

Up Taunt: Banjo pulls out a Gameboy and plays on it for few seconds as Kazooie watches. Then puts it away to get back up.

Side Taunt: Kazooie sprouts her legs out from the backpack to perform the talon trot, holding Banjo upwards. Kazooie then runs around in a circle making Banjo feel uneasy enough to cover his eyes ending with Kazooie jumping slightly upwards. Banjo then gets on to his feet and Kazooie returns to the backpack.

Down Taunt: Banjo grabs Kazooie out of his backpack, stretches her out in the form of the Breegull blaster ability and faces the camera while looking mean. Banjo then puts Kazooie back in his backpack.

Victory animation 1: Banjo jumps up and waves a jiggy puzzle piece left to right and hands it over to Kazooie who eats it. Similar to how it's done in Banjo Kazooie when Banjo collects a Jiggy piece.

Victory animation 2: Banjo plays on his Banjo while Kazooie plays on her Kazoo and finishes off with Banjo and Kazooie looking at the screen with Banjo's head slightly looking to the right and Kazooie looking to the left. Just like at the end of the opening scene of Banjo Kazooie.

Victory animation 3: Banjo quickly performs a dance and bows in three directions afterwards. Similar to when he collects all the jiggies from a world in Banjo-Kazooie. In team battles, this victory animation will always play when Banjo Kazooie are not the top players.

Losing animation: Banjo stands upright and claps respectfully with a smile while Kazooie is behind Banjo in his backpack glaring into the distance, supposedly at the winner.

Kirby hat: Kirby dons on the top of Banjo's scalp complete with the hair and bear ears. Kirby also wears the backpack for when Kirby performs the Egg fire attack, another Kazooie appears from his backpack.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
This isn't anything new, though - that's exactly how it was described when she was announced. If I had to guess, the characters above Bayonetta were people like Snake, Banjo-Kazooie (from third party companies that weren't cooperative), Ice Climbers (popular veterans, but they wouldn't work on the 3DS), or Ridley. (Sakurai couldn't figure out how to make him work, or he already had a role in the game)

K. Rool might have had his votes split with Dixie (people wanted a new DK character, but there wasn't a consensus on which one), or maybe they couldn't come up with a moveset in the time that they had. (his specials were obvious - most people called well in advance that he'd have a blunderbuss, crown toss, and the helicopter backpack - but most of his physical attacks in the DKC games consisted of running into the opponent, which isn't a deep well to draw from)

If the placeholders are any indication, they decided on her a few weeks after the ballot, not before it. A ballot like that seems like it would be extremely front-loaded (most of the votes would be likely be at the very beginning; people might keep voting throughout, but it seems like it would either slow down or be people who are voting a second or third time), we don't know how they handled multiple submissions from the same IP address (did they only count the first one? The last one? What about siblings who share a computer, or public computers like ones at a library?), and Bayonetta 2 came out around the same time as Smash for 3DS, so there was definitely interest.

I'm just tired of hearing these conspiracy theories. If Corrin had been announced as the ballot winner, then I'd see why people would say that it was fixed - his inclusion only seems to promote an upcoming Nintendo game, and it seems unlikely that he'd have a lot of popularity outside of Japan given that his game wasn't released outside of Japan at the time. I just don't see what Nintendo has to gain by supposedly rigging the ballot in favour of a relatively niche third party character, albeit one with a major Wii U exclusive game, (meaning that they wouldn't see much of a profit from the decision) over one that they fully own, and maintaining that "lie" for several years when there's no benefit.

A simpler explanation is that Bayonetta 2 came out at the right time, was generally seen as a big reason to own the Wii U (and a Smash DLC ballot would likely appeal to people who already had Smash for Wii U or 3DS), and more popular characters like Snake have major issues that would keep them out of the game.

It likely also helped that they were already working with Sega, and Bayonetta's games gave her a complete moveset to work with, making it easier to complete her quickly. (whereas with someone like K. Rool, most of his moves would need to be made from scratch)
The update that added ZSS as a placeholder came approximately 2 weeks after the ballot launched. So in that time they would have had to

- Weigh up the ballot results
- Plan out a moveset
- Contact the developers and license and approve the character
- Develop the patch that added the placeholder to begin with
- Approve and release the patch (which in itself takes time)

Within 2 weeks. Now we're also supposed to believe that within that very small amount of time they tried to work out deals for other characters first?

Not to forget that Bayonetta 2, while critically successful was a MASSIVE flop on the Wii U, and sold approximately 300k copies in its lifetime. Nintendo fans absolutely did not care about her.

It is absolutely impossible that she won the ballot. They had already decided her, and used the qualifier "among realisable characters" so the results couldn't be disputed.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo Kazooie: Donkey Kong Country style:

Maybe if bear and bird make a smashing return they can share an adventure together with the Kongs, just like old times ;) (Diddy Kong Racing for those unaware)
Thanks for posting this ,But your a little late my friend, it's been posted here a couple times before this week (Here's another one that show's DK's Treehouse and our favorite tie wearing ape himself too in case you haven't seen it yet)

Buy yeah I agree with you, Outside of Diddy Kong Racing I would absolutely love an actual crossover platformer between Banjo-Kazooie and Donkey Kong.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Banjo-Roos! We are within a thousand of 20,000 posts. Can we make it there before June 11th?

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
https://i.imgtc.ws/4fMgbDL.png

Interesting Theory between Banjo and “Brave”
I wasn't aware that banjos were known for being brave. (I assume they meant bears)

Keep in mind that Piranha Plant was given the name Packun, which is literally the name of a Piranha Plant in Japan. Just because it seems too obvious doesn't mean that we should rule it out. (Though I'm hoping for an Erdrick reveal/release and a Banjo reveal at E3, since fighters 2 and 3 were being worked on around the same time)

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I think piranha plant being called packun means nothing as he was planed for base game & was move to be a pre order bounus character & was shown off B4 the games release so there was no reason to hide him with a code name since he was being worked on so early on & planed to be shown off B4 the games realease

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't aware that banjos were known for being brave. (I assume they meant bears)

Keep in mind that Piranha Plant was given the name Packun, which is literally the name of a Piranha Plant in Japan. Just because it seems too obvious doesn't mean that we should rule it out. (Though I'm hoping for an Erdrick reveal/release and a Banjo reveal at E3, since fighters 2 and 3 were being worked on around the same time)
True, but Plant is not a part of the fighter pass and was shown to us before the game released. There was no real reason to give him a secret codename. "Jack" and "Doyle" were not obvious at all. Not saying it absolutely wont be Erdrick, but imo it makes less sense for "brave" to be so obvious.

Edit: Huh? My bad, didnt see the post above already explaining that haha

Last edited:

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
"Brave" being Erdrick would be a little too on the nose and easily predictable. One assumes that Nintendo would be aware that people would datamine their game and they wouldn't make a character code name so obvious. I doubt anyone would have been able to guess who "Jack" was, let alone "Doyle".

That's why I'm not 100% certain about the Brave = Erdrick theory just because Vergeben says so.

zferolie

Smash Hero
So its been a while since I poked in here. I really feel E3 will show us off Banjo. I know everyone is expecting Edric or a DQ slime(I'd rather have the slime, much more iconic), but E3 seems like the best place to reveal the duo.

There are rumors a DQ character will be announced at the smash tourny on the 9th, as supposidly a japanese gaming mag will have big DQ news on the 10th. If that happens I still think we will get a trailer for Banjo during E3, while the DQ character releases at E3.

As for sakurai's quotes, yeah I think Banjo was high up(as was shantae), but banjo was probably in that list of not possible characters at the time. Things have changed for sure since then.

And I do think brave can mean for Banjo. Personally I think the first letter is tied to the characters name, so brave banjo, not Brave for erdrics name. As others have said, its too on the nose for them to hide that.

Plus well, I know Verge keeps screaming a DQ character, but not trusting any of his DLC leaks anymore...

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
So its been a while since I poked in here. I really feel E3 will show us off Banjo. I know everyone is expecting Edric or a DQ slime(I'd rather have the slime, much more iconic), but E3 seems like the best place to reveal the duo.

There are rumors a DQ character will be announced at the smash tourny on the 9th, as supposidly a japanese gaming mag will have big DQ news on the 10th. If that happens I still think we will get a trailer for Banjo during E3, while the DQ character releases at E3.

As for sakurai's quotes, yeah I think Banjo was high up(as was shantae), but banjo was probably in that list of not possible characters at the time. Things have changed for sure since then.

And I do think brave can mean for Banjo. Personally I think the first letter is tied to the characters name, so brave banjo, not Brave for erdrics name. As others have said, its too on the nose for them to hide that.

Plus well, I know Verge keeps screaming a DQ character, but not trusting any of his DLC leaks anymore...
Shantae and Banjo are my most wanted. I think Banjo is likely, but I think Shantae's ship has unfortunately sailed. Though I could potentially see her be playable if there's a second fighter's pass or as a base character in Smash 6.

Verge also keeps on screaming "Minecraft content!" and we've yet to see any of that turn up. I think he knew stuff about the base game, but he has no clue about the DLC and is just guessing.

Last edited:

BigZGaming2015

Smash Journeyman
A Shantae and Banjo reveal at e3 would be great, announce Shantae with news on Shantae 5 and announce Banjo at the end of the direct

And yeah I agree on Vergey Boi, I'm skeptical af on what he's been saying recently

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I think piranha plant being called packun means nothing as he was planed for base game & was move to be a pre order bounus character & was shown off B4 the games release so there was no reason to hide him with a code name since he was being worked on so early on & planed to be shown off B4 the games realease
Exactly. They use the Japanese name for all the non-FP fighters.

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
https://i.imgtc.ws/4fMgbDL.png

Interesting Theory between Banjo and “Brave”
I remember this being brought up once before with no real proof, and this seems like someone’s repeating that whole thing. Again, nothing against that theory in particular, it’s just that there is nothing being actually provided. It’s just been “yep, banjos are brave because trust me”. It feels like there’s been more than enough time to find some examples, so I honestly doubt it.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Verge doesn't have any credibility anymore and hasn't had any since November. The February Direct is what finally nailed the coffin on his *** when he was wrong about Erdrick being showning off and Star Fox GP being revealed.

Shantae and Banjo are my most wanted. I think Banjo is likely, but I think Shantae's ship has unfortunately sailed. Though I could potentially see her be playable if there's a second fighter's pass or as a base character in Smash 6.

Verge also keeps on screaming "Minecraft content!" and we've yet to see any of that turn up. I think he knew stuff about the base game, but he has no clue about the DLC and is just guessing.
A Shantae and Banjo reveal at e3 would be great, announce Shantae with news on Shantae 5 and announce Banjo at the end of the direct

And yeah I agree on Vergey Boi, I'm skeptical af on what he's been saying recently
Even with Shantae 5 coming out this year, I have very little faith that Shantae will make it into the Season Pass because of her being a spirit. But on the other hand with Shantae 5 coming out so damn soon and WayForward not really showning any full gameplay footage, it makes me question if WayForward is going to show the game off at E3 with a Shantae Smash reveal because if not, why not show gameplay footage of the game now since it's just a few months away from release?

TAnimal

Smash Journeyman
I keep seeing this brought up, but no one has ever actually shown me what exactly makes Banjos 'brave' in folklore. Can someone source me?
I honestly have no further clues but only ideas of the folklore but at the same time it’s not impossible to suggest that Brave could indeed be Banjo when you consider the possibility that Packu is a Japanese word of Plant and Jack is a Western metaphor for Joker Card , with Brave it’s not so much a Japanese Dictionary word since it’s pronounced as “Yūkan'na” so it’s not far fetched to say that Erdrick may not fit that description but it actually belongs to Banjo

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
Even with Shantae 5 coming out this year, I have very little faith that Shantae will make it into the Season Pass because of her being a spirit. But on the other hand with Shantae 5 coming out so damn soon and WayForward not really showning any full gameplay footage, it makes me question if WayForward is going to show the game off at E3 with a Shantae Smash reveal because if not, why not show gameplay footage of the game now since it's just a few months away from release?
I dunno. They said this:

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1132028321414279169

They could be telling the truth in a technical in that another company could be presenting Shantae 5 but I dunno.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Verge doesn't have any credibility anymore and hasn't had any since November. The February Direct is what finally nailed the coffin on his *** when he was wrong about Erdrick being showning off and Star Fox GP being revealed.
Star Fox GP was literally leakbait by Nintendo. That's really not fair to apply to him. Everybody was fooled by that. That was the point. What's actually what killed him is believing a fake leaker who fed him bad information about a lot of games, including Link's Awakening not being there. Not some unreasonable thing every leaker would fall for due to credible sources being told actual information by Nintendo(in order to foll everyone).

Also, he never said Erdrick would be revealed. He said a Square-Enix character would be. Erdrick is who he heard the most, but he never went full in as him being the specific choice at any given point. This isn't remotely like him going in on characters like Incineroar. Erdrick is still a "maybe this guy is in" by him at this point. Best he believes is that we're getting a SE character.

It's really not what you said it is. Never was that simple. Guy is not-credible, but what you said really is vastly misleading to what actually happened.

Shawksta

Smash Apprentice
Just popping in to say something real quick.

People are starting to become dodgy about Fan polls and not the actual results of the ballot due to Sakurai's statement but it's important to note that during the ballot days, all the fan polls have 2 thing in common, that both King K Rool and Veterans were usually the top spots or within the top 5. So it's not farfetched to assume they have correlation to the actual ballot results. Banjo included.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Star Fox GP was literally leakbait by Nintendo. That's really not fair to apply to him. Everybody was fooled by that. That was the point. What's actually what killed him is believing a fake leaker who fed him bad information about a lot of games, including Link's Awakening not being there. Not some unreasonable thing every leaker would fall for due to credible sources being told actual information by Nintendo(in order to foll everyone).

Also, he never said Erdrick would be revealed. He said a Square-Enix character would be. Erdrick is who he heard the most, but he never went full in as him being the specific choice at any given point. This isn't remotely like him going in on characters like Incineroar. Erdrick is still a "maybe this guy is in" by him at this point. Best he believes is that we're getting a SE character.

It's really not what you said it is. Never was that simple. Guy is not-credible, but what you said really is vastly misleading to what actually happened.
I thought he said it was Erdrick, but I believe you when he said it was a SE rep and it was most likely going to be Erdrick.

Last edited:
Top Bottom