• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If I'm not mistaken, from the looks of the amount of content that came with this update, Persona representation is summed up as:

Persona 5 also, featuring 3 and 4. We don't talk about Revelations and 2.

So, after calming down from the utter bullcrap that was the server mess yesterday, I've been playing quite a bit with Joker, and honestly, once you get a bit of a grasp of how he works, he's pretty fun. Admittedly, if you're like me and you suck at using counters, then there's a bit of a learning curve with him, and I feel like his gun attacks are kind of useless. But he is pretty solid with combos, his Side Special is very useful regardless of which state it's in, and once he summons Arsene, he is definitely a fun force to be reckoned with. Overall, I'll need to play around with him more to determine where I'd place him on my overall list, but he is a very fun character and I don't regret purchasing him through the Fighter Pass.

Hopefully, the other Fighter Pass characters can prove to be the same.
Seeing as the rest of this pass are planned to be unique, I think we may not have to worry about that.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So, after calming down from the utter bullcrap that was the server mess yesterday, I've been playing quite a bit with Joker, and honestly, once you get a bit of a grasp of how he works, he's pretty fun. Admittedly, if you're like me and you suck at using counters, then there's a bit of a learning curve with him, and I feel like his gun attacks are kind of useless. But he is pretty solid with combos, his Side Special is very useful regardless of which state it's in, and once he summons Arsene, he is definitely a fun force to be reckoned with. Overall, I'll need to play around with him more to determine where I'd place him on my overall list, but he is a very fun character and I don't regret purchasing him through the Fighter Pass.

Hopefully, the other Fighter Pass characters can prove to be the same.
Pretty cool, overall, definitely impressed with the scope of the Joker Fighter Pack and how much love Sakurai and his team obviously put into it. But I'm definitely gonna refrain from purchasing anything unless Banjo & Kazooie are confirmed at some point this year. No sense in spending money on a character I don't really care about, especially when I have no clue who else is gonna be in. If Banjo & Kazooie make it in though, I'll buy the entire Fighter Pack, no questions asked. They're literally the only characters I could possibly truly want in Smash.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Pretty cool, overall, definitely impressed with the scope of the Joker Fighter Pack and how much love Sakurai and his team obviously put into it. But I'm definitely gonna refrain from purchasing anything unless Banjo & Kazooie are confirmed at some point this year. No sense in spending money on a character I don't really care about, especially when I have no clue who else is gonna be in. If Banjo & Kazooie make it in though, I'll buy the entire Fighter Pack, no questions asked.
That's fair to do, besides, the servers have been murdered enough for one night.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
To stick with Joker I have a nagging feeling that the censored bloodspray from Jokers FS is telling for the chanses of Doom Slayer. As cool as it would be to have big angry shooty man, I have a feeling the big guy is too brutal to make it into Smash. I know Joker sorta broke the "No gun" rule, though that gun was more of a model airsoft gun made to look like a real gun.

This also sorta bleeds into my theory that FPS characters like Doom slayer and Steve are not suited for Smash.
I see this is still used as a point against characters like Scorpion and Doomguy/Slayer when you have someone like Bayonetta in Smash. There doesn't need to be gore for them to be in Smash. Doomguy for example, can have an awesome and faithful move set without ripping his opponents apart or blow them to bits.

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
I see this is still used as a point against characters like Scorpion and Doomguy/Slayer when you have someone like Bayonetta in Smash. There doesn't need to be gore for them to be in Smash. Doomguy for example, can have an awesome and faithful move set without ripping his opponents apart or blow them to bits.
Really dude? They'll have faithful moveset whilst ignoring the biggest thing about the game/characters? Are you serious? They changed the blood to stars with Joker, excessively voilent video game characters will NEVER be in Smash. And you do know that MK is banned in Japan for the massive amount of gore right? So why would that hack Sakurai add in a character from a franchise that's banned in Japan?

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Glad most of you are enjoying Joker, I haven't bought the fighter pass yet as I'm waiting for the other reveals first, I want to make sure the $25 I sink into this game won't be a waste of Moolah.

Not meaning to be harsh or anything, but I bought all the DLC characters from Smash 4 and at the end of the day I was mad, none of them really spoke to me, Sure Cloud and Ryu were cool additions to the series but I've never had any Personal connection with them, the other half was Veterans and.. well, Fates Advertisement that should of been free.
I really hope this E3 will be one to remember, but even if Banjo isn't revealed, my second hope is that they at the very least put Kazooie/Tooie on Eshop.

You do know that MK is banned in Japan for the massive amount of gore right?
Wait, straight up? if thats the case then Scorpion or anything MK related has a literal 0% chance of appearing.

Last edited:

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I decided to break down mentally what the projected release windows would be for the remaining four fighters based on the development time of Joker. It could be totally wrong but speaking from what experience I have I can ascertain what the planning might be. Development time could vary wildly between each character, with an emphasis on stages, some stages took an upwards of an entire year to finish when Ultimate was being made.

• Character 2: June-July 2019
    This is an interesting one, it could be sooner but my best guess would be that we are going to get the next character during or after E3, a direct could happen anytime before E3 that can make an announcement of said character, maybe even just a tease with E3 doing a full character breakdown and doing a similar situation like Joker and dropping the DLC in a matter of days, that's not to say Jokers release sets any precedent but considering the development windows right now, June/July isn't far away.
  • Character 3: August-October 2019
    My guess is this character is teased/announced at E3 running straight after the breakdown of Character 2, so we're getting 2 characters unveiled from say May to June, except the wait for this one could be a while. This one could be the biggest surprise package of the entire DLC season considering the reveal will be at E3, in fact I'm willing to bet character 3 will be the biggest name announced out of them all because of the timeframe. But don't expect this character until at least mid September or October.
  • Character 4: October-December 2019
    This one is probably the most difficult to predict, as it could blend into October or be as late as early December, depends on when Character 3 is released. Again, sometime after character 3 is released we'd soon find out about this character in a direct, most likely in October.
  • Character 5: Jan-Feb 2020
    Considering they've slated this to end in Feb 2020 I'd say this is the safest assumption that the final character will be released as late as February 2020.

Side note: Let go of Doom Slayer and MK characters, and I'm saying this as a die hard fan of both franchises, it simply isn't happening. Take an honest step back and assess it.

SKX31

Smash Master
Really dude? They'll have faithful moveset whilst ignoring the biggest thing about the game/characters? Are you serious? They changed the blood to stars with Joker, excessively voilent video game characters will NEVER be in Smash. And you do know that MK is banned in Japan for the massive amount of gore right? So why would that hack Sakurai add in a character from a franchise that's banned in Japan?
Excuse me, but I believe we have a onlooker, Sir:

*:ultbayonetta: stares from a distance, having just exploded another Angel into a bloody mess with a Torture Attack.*

As for CEVO banning MK, even Japanese games like RE4 and Metal Gear Rising are not safe, so they had to be toned down too. MK just has the gore as a key part of its appeal and identity (although that can be toned down in guest appearances, not in the main games). I don't think Ed Boon would tone it down when they've served as gameplay elements in MK9 onwards.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
To stick with Joker I have a nagging feeling that the censored bloodspray from Jokers FS is telling for the chanses of Doom Slayer. As cool as it would be to have big angry shooty man, I have a feeling the big guy is too brutal to make it into Smash. I know Joker sorta broke the "No gun" rule, though that gun was more of a model airsoft gun made to look like a real gun.
So we got the implementation of realistic firearms (airsoft or not, Smash fails to make that explicit - which is what would effect the rating), and the toning down of M-rated violence to fit Smash (again), and that... is a negative for Doomguy's prospects?

I have to say, this thread really has a penchant for disparaging every third-party other than Banjo...

This also sorta bleeds into my theory that FPS characters like Doom slayer and Steve are not suited for Smash. Heck, the Breegull Blaster sections in Tooie have more personality suited for Smash.
Yeah, Minecraft is quite the violent FPS.

Bayonetta literally gets naked, swears up a storm, and has crazy giraffe proportions in her game. And don't think this wasn't the central argument used against her. Characters change to fit Smash.

Joker is what, the third character to be toned down? And we're still having this debate...

Looma

Smash Journeyman
HeavyDisgustingAbalone-size_restricted.gif

GORE
IS
NOT
VITAL
IN
SHOWCASING
BRUTALITY
AS
DEMONSTRATED
BY
RIDLEY
AND
BAYONETTA
IS
ABSOLUTELY
ULTRAVIOLENT
IN
HER
HOME
SERIES

Sorry I get a little frustrated seeing people vomit this same smelly garbage point out over and over again. How many M-rated characters have to get in, get toned down, and still work just fine for this to stop coming up? I once thought Bayonetta alone would be more than enough to dispel this ****, guess I'm an idiot.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
OI! No need to take that tone. You are on the right track with MK being banned. Doomguy could still happen, yet to me I don't see it working that well as opposed to picks like Spyro, Crash, or Ratchet and Clank.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I feel like Doomguy would be the easiest to tone down. All you need to do is remove him literally pulling the spines out of people and you're golden. Smash characters are used to being shot at with guns.

Mr. Stagg

So we got the implementation of realistic firearms (airsoft or not, Smash fails to make that explicit - which is what would effect the rating), and the toning down of M-rated violence to fit Smash (again), and that... is a negative for Doomguy's prospects?

I have to say, this thread really has a penchant for disparaging every third-party other than Banjo...

Yeah, Minecraft is quite the violent FPS.

Bayonetta literally gets naked, swears up a storm, and has crazy giraffe proportions in her game. And don't think this wasn't the central argument used against her. Characters change to fit Smash.

Joker is what, the third character to be toned down? And we're still having this debate...
No need to be passive aggressive now. My Minecraft comment was referring to being a 1st person game. My hangups with Steve and Doomguy are from their 1st person origins, whereas the excessive gore and violence is where my beefs with Doomguy and Scorpion are. I dont mind Scorpion or Doomguy, I just don't dont see them likely.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
He was already unable to that in the base games until Doom 2016

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Never say never, characters like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Joker were laughed at the thought of being in Smash, and look where we are now. You can literally have a four player match now with nothing but M-rated characters (or characters whose franchises have had M-rated iterations in the past). I've joked in the past that characters like Scorpion, Leon Kennedy/Claire Redfield, Master Chief, and Doom Guy have had better chances to get into Smash Bros. than Banjo & Kazooie, just cuz Banjo-Kazooie was considered in the past to be impossible and untouchable, but at this point I expect everyone and no one at the same time. Actually, now that I think about it, having an eight player match with the likes of Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, Simon/Richter Belmont, Joker, Scorpion, Leon Kennedy/Claire Redfield, Doom Guy, Conker, and/or Master Chief in Smash would be freaking NUTS. Kinda wanna see that happen now... but not before Banjo & Kazooie make it in at long last like they truly deserve.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
No need to be passive aggressive now. My Minecraft comment was referring to being a 1st person game. My hangups with Steve and Doomguy are from their 1st person origins, whereas the excessive gore and violence is where my beefs with Doomguy and Scorpion are. I dont mind Scorpion or Doomguy, I just don't dont see them likely.
No passive aggression, just run of the mill sardonicism. But I don't see what the angle of the camera has to do with the efficacy of the character.

And I personally think it's asking more of a character to make the jump from an entirely pacifist and serene life sim like Animal Crossing or a casual fitness game like Wii Fit to a game that centres purely on fighting than to import an already violent character and remove their visceral extremes.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
No passive aggression, just run of the mill sardonicism. But I don't see what the angle of the camera has to do with the efficacy of the character.

And I personally think it's asking more of a character to make the jump from an entirely pacifist and serene life sim like Animal Crossing or a casual fitness game like Wii Fit to a game that centres purely on fighting than to import an already violent character and remove their visceral extremes.
I think Wii Fit Trainer was a special case. I forgot the exact reason but it was either Sakurai was friends with the Wii Fit team and wanted to do something nice or the Wii Fit team specifically asked for something wii fit in smash. I feel like Wii Fit Trainer wouldn't have gotten in any other way otherwise.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Wii Fit Trainer was a special case. I forgot the exact reason but it was either Sakurai was friends with the Wii Fit team and wanted to do something nice or the Wii Fit team specifically asked for something wii fit in smash. I feel like Wii Fit Trainer wouldn't have gotten in any other way otherwise.
I think you're getting your wires crossed there. The Wii Fit team asked Sakurai to update her face for Smash Ultimate, but there's no doubt that she was included to begin with because Wii Fit was MASSIVE

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think you're getting your wires crossed there. The Wii Fit team asked Sakurai to update her face for Smash Ultimate, but there's no doubt that she was included to begin with because Wii Fit was MASSIVE
Oh well damn then. Then that is really really odd since I doubt there wasn't much intertwining of the Wii Fit fanbase and Smash fanbase.

osby

Smash Obsessed
So I assume he's also friends with the developers of Animal Crossing, R.O.B. games, Mii games and Game & Watch games?

ProjectDream

Smash Apprentice
I don't like where this thread is going, think I'll come back when there's news.

See you in... a few months I guess.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
So I assume he's also friends with the developers of Animal Crossing, R.O.B. games, Mii games and Game & Watch games?
I will admit I got mixed up in what I was talking about. But I don't see the point in bringing up other characters when I was just talking specially my opinion on Wii Fit trainer with the (wrong) knowledge I had.

"I feel like A character wouldn't have gotten in any other way"
"but what about x,y,z character?"

I shouldn't have to justify other characters to talk about my opinions on another since I have no idea what Sakurai is thinking when he adds a new character. Game & Watch might be because he played it when he was a kid and was Nintendo's first few baby steps into Video Games. Animal Crossing is a staple Nintendo franchise so that is a no brainer for a rep. Mii characters might have been a response to basically every other Nintendo game having playable miis. I can't even think of a reason for R.O.B besides maybe Sakurai also had one as a child and being a major selling point of the NES for awhile? We really just don't know unless he specially comes out and says a reason for a character's inclusion.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I will admit I got mixed up in what I was talking about. But I don't see the point in bringing up other characters when I was just talking specially my opinion on Wii Fit trainer with the (wrong) knowledge I had.

"I feel like A character wouldn't have gotten in any other way"
"but what about x,y,z character?"

I shouldn't have to justify other characters to talk about my opinions on another since I have no idea what Sakurai is thinking when he adds a new character. Game & Watch might be because he played it when he was a kid and was Nintendo's first few baby steps into Video Games. Animal Crossing is a staple Nintendo franchise so that is a no brainer for a rep. Mii characters might have been a response to basically every other Nintendo game having playable miis. I can't even think of a reason for R.O.B besides maybe Sakurai also had one as a child and being a major selling point of the NES for awhile? We really just don't know unless he specially comes out and says a reason for a character's inclusion.
He also had a Piranha Plant as a child. :troll:

I think those two additions can be chalked up to historicism and surprise, not the fabled Sakurai bias.

Mr. Stagg

Random thought I had. If the DLC is going to employ special victory screens I can see the cutaway to Banjo and Kazooie's being the title screen where all the jiggies fall into place.

GreenKirby

Smash Master
NNID
NoName9999
I think the problem with Mortal Kombat is take away the gore and what do you have?

When people talk about MK, it's not because of its intuitive gameplay or its deep story arcs

Remember, people threw a fit when MK vs DC was going to be censored. Not because it's a story crossing over 2 random IPs

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I think Sakurai's bias has only really applied to Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and a few 3rd Parties so far.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Minecraft is technically an FPS because Minecraft is played strictly in 1st person. Not a FPS by traditional standards, but it still has the 1st person aspects. Plus you can shoot arrows from what I remember.
You can shoot arrows if you have a bow or crossbow, and have 'em in the first place, but you can go third-person so it's not strictly first-person. It's not a shooter, it's sandbox/survival.

Mr. Stagg

I think Sakurai's bias has only really applied to Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and a few 3rd Parties so far.
It's quite apparent with Persona since he practically bent over backwards to service the franchise. Again this is for the DLC so it has to be extra flashy.

You can shoot arrows if you have a bow or crossbow, and have 'em in the first place, but you can go third-person so it's not strictly first-person. It's not a shooter, it's sandbox/survival.
It primarily takes place in 1st person. Going 3rd person hampers the gameplay and I believe it's done through mods. I think. I agree it's no shooter, but it is still a 1st person game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think the problem with Mortal Kombat is take away the gore and what do you have?

When people talk about MK, it's not because of its intuitive gameplay or its deep story arcs

Remember, people threw a fit when MK vs DC was going to be censored. Not because it's a story crossing over 2 random IPs
People were fine when Scorpion was toned down for Injustice, just as they would be for Smash Bros. Because different series garner different expectations. You're conflating Mortal Kombat's to all of them, but when Scorpion is a guest to those series, he plays by their rules.

It's like saying people couldn't appreciate Heihachi unless he came with a z-axis.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It primarily takes place in 1st person. Going 3rd person hampers the gameplay and I believe it's done through mods. I think. I agree it's no shooter, but it is still a 1st person game.
Third-person is a feature in standard gameplay, no mods required. It's done by either pressing F5 or pressing the thumbstick/whatever control it's set to. It can be annoying for gameplay, though, as the camera gets pushed close to you if obstructed by blocks, but otherwise it's fine (I mainly just use it for some screenshots tbh, rarely for gameplay). I don't really see why it being first-person matters, though.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Cuphead was just release today on the switch, i try my hand on it today and it plays just as smooth as i remember from the footage, i'll play through the entire game next week since right now i'm playing Hollow Knight.

Mikegamer0608

Smash Lord
NNID
Mikegamer0608
Hey guys, just want to talk about this theory that I've been thinking about but it's about the Mii costumes returning as DLC because we just got the Tails & Knuckles Mii costumes back. So I went back to the old Wii U & 3DS smash bros and looked at the list of DLC Third party Mii costumes that was removed from Ultimate and it got me thinking what if Nintendo chose Characters from Sega (Joker who is made by Atlus but is owned by Sega), A Bandai Namco character which they can also sell the Bandai Namco Mii costumes, A Capcom character to sell the Capcom Mii costumes, & last Square-Enix character (Maybe Erdrick) to sell the Square-Enix Mii costumes again. I believe if they are doing this practice we could be looking at characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square-Enix in the rest of the DLC line-up but honestly I don't know I just wanted put this theory out there.

D

Deleted member

I have good news.

Joker is jack but their stats were changed a bit like being heavier

But according to polarpanda the height is the same

So I don’t think brave is gonna hit a growth spurt and eddy would most likely be his tall adult form with the female alt.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Hey guys, just want to talk about this theory that I've been thinking about but it's about the Mii costumes returning as DLC because we just got the Tails & Knuckles Mii costumes back. So I went back to the old Wii U & 3DS smash bros and looked at the list of DLC Third party Mii costumes that was removed from Ultimate and it got me thinking what if Nintendo chose Characters from Sega (Joker who is made by Atlus but is owned by Sega), A Bandai Namco character which they can also sell the Bandai Namco Mii costumes, A Capcom character to sell the Capcom Mii costumes, & last Square-Enix character (Maybe Erdrick) to sell the Square-Enix Mii costumes again. I believe if they are doing this practice we could be looking at characters from Bandai Namco, Capcom, Square-Enix in the rest of the DLC line-up but honestly I don't know I just wanted put this theory out there.
If that's the case, I guess we're not getting those Virtua Fighter costumes back.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Someone in the YT comments is trying to tell me that the witch stage, the bird stage, and the Teddie hat (a Persona character of all things) are all hints for B-K because they represent Grunty, Kazooie, and Banjo. I tried to explain to him why that doesn't make sense, but that Phil's words can be evidence, and...

...I want my conspiracy chairs.

maybe a troll, but he's acting very serious.

Last edited:
Top Bottom