• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I just want to briefly share my two cents on B&K vs Steve talk:

While I'd much rather read and engage in more positive speculation, I think people are too sensitive when they see jabs at Steve.
The Grunty rhyme dissing Steve that seems to have sparked the latest trip down this type of discussion was very tame.

To be blunt, it's getting old seeing people fret about whether or not this thread becoming "toxic". Or seeming to jump at the chance to label something "hate". It seems to me as if some people want everyone to behave as if they are at a tea party with the queen of England. The 1000th person explaining why they dislike Minecraft is not hateful or toxic. It's just your everyday beating of a dead horse.

You're going to get posts having some fun at the expense of rival characters. Especially one from a series that's already as love-it-or-hate-it as Minecraft.
Part of the problem is that Smash Bros is in a really weird spot right now and everyone is getting a bit stir crazy because it seems like we're just spinning our wheels in the sand

It feels like it's been AGES since Joker was announced. Back in February that Direct was almost insulting in how little they showed us of Smash and how it boiled down to "We're announcing that we have more announcements in April!". Which is kind of funny in that Atlus ended up doing the same "We're announcing an announcement thing for PS5R and PS5S" too

Now we're kind of trapped in this weird holding pattern because we know there's a bunch of stuff coming, but it feels just out of our reach. It also feels like everything is just waiting to go but Atlus isn't giving the okay because of their announcement. I think more people at this point just want Joker to come out so we can move on.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I don't think Crash would be announced at E3 considering Sony's not going. :/
Crash isn't a Sony property anymore, he's multiplatform. Nintendo would have to just go to Activision

But Crash being announced at E3 would be major because of his original ties to Sony and being a 90's mascot

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If Rex and Pyra were too new to make it into Smash Ultimate as DLC, then the same definitely applies for a Pokemon from a game that isn't out yet which we know very little about as of now.
It didn't stop them from adding Greninja to Smash Wii U who was being developed behind the scenes and all they really had was concept art to go by well before the announcement of Pokemon X & Y.

While Pokemon X & Y came out a year before Smash Wii U, they were both being developed pretty much at the same time frame and I can definitely see a scenario and chance for them to add a 8th Generation Pokemon via DLC (Now that Smash Ultimate is already out) to coincide with the release of Pokemon Sword & Shield.

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Rex and pyra (and mythra) should be the front-runners for the possible second fighter pass. Sakurai wanted them, fans want them. Swapping out between pyra and mythra could offer some unique mechanics. They got it all. Cool design, unique moveset, meme potential (Think you can take me?!?) And most importantly...

Waifus :4pacman:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Rex and pyra (and mythra) should be the front-runners for the possible second fighter pass. Sakurai wanted them, fans want them. Swapping out between pyra and mythra could offer some unique mechanics. They got it all. Cool design, unique moveset, meme potential (Think you can take me?!?) And most importantly...

Waifus :4pacman:
If a second fighters pass happens, I feel like Spring Man, Bomberman, or Waluigi might break free of the Assist Trophy

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
If a second fighters pass happens, I feel like Spring Man, Bomberman, or Waluigi might break free of the Assist Trophy
I don't know about assist trophies, but I definitely feel like they would draw from spirits. Especially if they want some big favorites like bandana dee, and geno

Although I feel like sooner or later sakurai will break the "can't be a fighter if you're a trophy in the same game" rule.

Last edited:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Update 3.0 is going to upgrade several assist trophies to fighters. Thats why it has taken them so long to reveal anything about Joker. Because they have been busy making Isaac, Waluigi, Spring man, Shadow, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid and Bomberman playable.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Update 3.0 is going to upgrade several assist trophies to fighters. Thats why it has taken them so long to reveal anything about Joker. Because they have been busy making Isaac, Waluigi, Spring man, Shadow, Shovel Knight, Skull Kid and Bomberman playable.
That sure would make this stupid wait worth it. Too bad things that great never happen in real life.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Little bit unrelated here but I got another cheeky anon trying to be clever and call me out on 4chan. Again, I'm at work and can't reply to shizz there. Another example of how we live rent free in the heads of the Steve trolls. Gotta say I'm digging the attention.

20190414_235849.jpg

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Little bit unrelated here but I got another cheeky anon trying to be clever and call me out on 4chan. Again, I'm at work and can't reply to shizz there. Another example of how we live rent free in the heads of the Steve trolls. Gotta say I'm digging the attention.

View attachment 208593
You guys are just feeding each other.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
That sure would make this stupid wait worth it. Too bad things that great never happen in real life.
How has this wait been stupid?

It's par for the course with Smash, and hell, will still end up even releasing sooner than Mewtwo did for Smash 4. Mewtwo was revealed in late October 2014, released mid April 2015 whereas Joker was announced early December 2018 and will release late April 2019. And when we got Mewtwo in Smash 4, he was all we got. Again, in Ultimate, we've already seen Piranha Plant release as DLC and seen the Spirit Board get upgraded with multiplayer. Plus, Joker will also come with his own stage and additional content alongside a full new mode in Stage Builder. And that's at the very least. I think it's a much better situation overall and not too bad of a wait overall when you consider all of that. The wait time for Mewtwo was much, much worse.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I’d be totally down for a fighter pass that’s just assist trophy promotions, but I doubt it’ll ever happen. If you can pick any 5, who would they be though.

I’d choose Waluigi, Isaac, Shovel Knight, Bomber Man, and Zero. I kinda want to put Skull Kid but only If I could choose 6.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Waluigi, Bomberman, Isaac, and Shadow seem to have been the absolute worst of the assist trophies reveals to a good deal of people, so I'd suspect that they would have to be the primary three to receive an upgrade in the event that were given such a pass. Bomberman especially feels like he got the short end of the stick given the iconic nature of the series and how much he could really work with.

As for the other spot, I'd probably give it to Skull Kid out of a personal bias an desire to see a non-triforce user Zelda character.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

It's par for the course with Smash, and hell, will still end up even releasing sooner than Mewtwo did for Smash 4. Mewtwo was revealed in late October 2014, released mid April 2015 whereas Joker was announced early December 2018 and will release late April 2019. And when we got Mewtwo in Smash 4, he was all we got. Again, in Ultimate, we've already seen Piranha Plant release as DLC and seen the Spirit Board get upgraded with multiplayer. Plus, Joker will also come with his own stage and additional content alongside a full new mode in Stage Builder. And that's at the very least. I think it's a much better situation overall and not too bad of a wait overall when you consider all of that. The wait time for Mewtwo was much, much worse.
How does a history of terrible droughts make this one less terrible? Also, Piranha Plant was not something exciting and neither is stage builder to me.

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
Part of the problem is that Smash Bros is in a really weird spot right now and everyone is getting a bit stir crazy because it seems like we're just spinning our wheels in the sand

It feels like it's been AGES since Joker was announced. Back in February that Direct was almost insulting in how little they showed us of Smash and how it boiled down to "We're announcing that we have more announcements in April!". Which is kind of funny in that Atlus ended up doing the same "We're announcing an announcement thing for PS5R and PS5S" too

Now we're kind of trapped in this weird holding pattern because we know there's a bunch of stuff coming, but it feels just out of our reach. It also feels like everything is just waiting to go but Atlus isn't giving the okay because of their announcement. I think more people at this point just want Joker to come out so we can move on.
Yea, Nintendo doesn't have wait they can easily move on and show or just name the second character. There is really no reason for Nintendo to wait to release one character before even naming the next, ESPECIALLY if there's going to be a massive delay - a delay that Nintendo and Sakurai 100% knew about before finilizing the Joker(I still don't think the persona series deserved representation in Smash.)

I mean, they could have shown someone else besides the Joker as the first character than announce the Joker after the release of whatever persona game is coming out this month. There's no reason for Nintendo to be doing what they are doing, except for maybe that Sakurai REALLY wanted Joker to be the first character.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
How does a history of terrible droughts make this one less terrible? Also, Piranha Plant was not something exciting and neither is stage builder to me.
Just because you don’t enjoy certain content doesn’t make the period a drought. It’s still content being released.

All I’m pointing out is that they’ve clearly improved considerably since Smash 4. They’ve actively provided more content in a shorter period of time, and I’d think a full unique newcomer deserves a little more attention and credit for showing up in the middle of this so called “drought.” Plus, like I said, we’ll end up with way more content in less time with the release of 3.0. That would seem to make for a pretty earned delay between release of the full game and the first Challenger Pack (which again, that time period was bisected by a character and essentially a new mode).

Mr. Stagg

Yea, Nintendo doesn't have wait they can easily move on and show or just name the second character. There is really no reason for Nintendo to wait to release one character before even naming the next, ESPECIALLY if there's going to be a massive delay - a delay that Nintendo and Sakurai 100% knew about before finilizing the Joker(I still don't think the persona series deserved representation in Smash.)

I mean, they could have shown someone else besides the Joker as the first character than announce the Joker after the release of whatever persona game is coming out this month. There's no reason for Nintendo to be doing what they are doing, except for maybe that Sakurai REALLY wanted Joker to be the first character.
I think you are on the right track here. Sakurai said that he was told to think of something Smash related to reveal at the VGA's. Since the theme of Joker infiltrating the theater fit that is what Sak's decided. Just a theory though. I dont think anyone has an idea of why these reveals are happening at the times that they are.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think you are on the right track here. Sakurai said that he was told to think of something Smash related to reveal at the VGA's. Since the theme of Joker infiltrating the theater fit that is what Sak's decided. Just a theory though. I dont think anyone has an idea of why these reveals are happening at the times that they are.
Maybe Sakurai/Nintendo thought that Joker and Plant would be enough to last us 6 months.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I'm not really at all excited for 3.0. I never cared for stage builder and Joker doesn't appeal to me in any way. Unless they instigate taunting online or separate Alph from Olimar I'll just be hoping there's something tangible that can be datamined that points to who else we're getting as DLC.

Victory poses? Easy

1: Animation from when a Jiggy is collected in Banjo Kazooie, Banjo holds a Jiggy up in the air before Kazooie eats it
2: World complete animation, excited dancing followed by bowing
3: Banjo celebrates right until Kazooie starts pecking at him, based partially on their various idle animations
Couple of different ones:

I'd like a victory pose involving a few Jinjos, maybe a couple of high fives, thumbs up with one or something.

Or BK Rat-a-tat-tatting a few vegetable enemies then striking a pose.

How about Mumbo firing up the BBQ again... :p

I just want to briefly share my two cents on B&K vs Steve talk:

While I'd much rather read and engage in more positive speculation, I think people are too sensitive when they see jabs at Steve.
The Grunty rhyme dissing Steve that seems to have sparked the latest trip down this type of discussion was very tame.

To be blunt, it's getting old seeing people fret about whether or not this thread becoming "toxic". Or seeming to jump at the chance to label something "hate". It seems to me as if some people want everyone to behave as if they are at a tea party with the queen of England. The 1000th person explaining why they dislike Minecraft is not hateful or toxic. It's just your everyday beating of a dead horse.

You're going to get posts having some fun at the expense of rival characters. Especially one from a series that's already as love-it-or-hate-it as Minecraft.
Spot on.

I get having to appropriately call out the truly negative stuff, the personal insults, etc but the condescending "tsk-tsk-ing" over minor things is just as bad, if not worse at times, it bogs the flow of the discussion and overall the thread. Learn to scroll by and choose not to engage, it ain't hard. Mountain out of molehill stuff at times and most of us are adults here.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Either most people got mass amnesia, or there's been lots of new fans compared to last time. Or both.

Although granted Mewtwo wasn't a newcomer, so everyone knew what to expect with him...

Maybe Sakurai/Nintendo thought that Joker and Plant would be enough to last us 6 months.
In any case, there aren't many special events to reveal characters for before the Fighter Pass' deadline of February 2020. There's E3, the next VGAs...and that's it. Every DLC character reveal last time had no problems being shown outside of those, just Directs, so doing this instead would seem impractical.

Maybe they're holding off on character reveals to reveal a bunch of them at the same time, simply because they blew their load for much of the base game too early, but I honestly doubt that's actually the case.

I still think we'll know of a new character next month.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Some fighters I can see happening at E3:

Banjo - What can I say that hasn't been said already? Microsoft and Nintendo will both be there. It would be the best time and place to show him.

Other Microsoft rep - Either Steve, Cuphead or the Battletoads. I will only consider Master Chief if Halo comes to the Switch.

Doomguy - Bethesda will also be at E3 and they have been supportive of the Switch. Doom also has some history with Nintendo.

Namco-Bandai rep - If Erdrick is real (and he most likely is), Namco will be the only 3rd party with less than 2 playable reps. Many of Namco's properties are known in the west and therefore suitable for E3. I personally think a Dark Souls rep would make the biggest splash.

Leon Kennedy - Not sure what his chances are, considering the Resident Evil 2 remake didn't release on Switch. But Capcom seems to be the easiest 3rd party to work with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly shows up.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I feel like we might get some news this week. I can feel a Direct flavoring the wind...

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Some fighters I can see happening at E3:

Banjo - What can I say that hasn't been said already? Microsoft and Nintendo will both be there. It would be the best time and place to show him.

Other Microsoft rep - Either Steve, Cuphead or the Battletoads. I will only consider Master Chief if Halo comes to the Switch.

Doomguy - Bethesda will also be at E3 and they have been supportive of the Switch. Doom also has some history with Nintendo.

Namco-Bandai rep - If Erdrick is real (and he most likely is), Namco will be the only 3rd party with less than 2 playable reps. Many of Namco's properties are known in the west and therefore suitable for E3. I personally think a Dark Souls rep would make the biggest splash.

Leon Kennedy - Not sure what his chances are, considering the Resident Evil 2 remake didn't release on Switch. But Capcom seems to be the easiest 3rd party to work with, so I wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly shows up.
I don't think (maybe Tekken aside) Namco has any notable IPs with a significantly known playable character missing from Smash.

But I could see a Capcom character rather easily, RE or Phoenix Wright makes a ton of sense to me.

Banjo obviously makes a ton of sense, but you could also get Crash there pretty easily.

Mr. Stagg

Not really news or any different take on what we know, but this guy made me laugh and it's worth a share.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Goddamn this dry spell is absolutely frustrating. I don't remember the wait for Mewtwo being this long

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Any DLC character would be in the same position more than likely, this has almost nothing to do with Joker specifically being the character.

At best, you MIGHT be able to blame like an extra week of waiting on Joker specifically showing up closer to other Persona content, but even then it’s a big stretch.

Again, this is what Smash 4 DLC showed us and Joker’s not in any way late or whatever.

Goddamn this dry spell is absolutely frustrating. I don't remember the wait for Mewtwo being this long
The wait for Mewtwo was much much worse as I’ve said before. He was announced in October and didn’t release til April whereas Joker is two months shorter as of now. Plus, Mewtwo was the very first thing we got as DLC. Whereas again, we’ve had Piranha Plant and a more already.

Mewtwo took absolute ages to release and when he did release, he didn’t bring anything else with him from what I remember besides the announcement that Lucas was coming back too.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
It's actually not as long as Mewtwo was, not to mention that we've had a whole DLC character released since Joker was announced.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
The core difference between the wait for Mewtwo VS the wait for Joker is just... it was Mewtwo, everyone knew what to expect from him. Joker is entirely new.

Right off the bat they were upfront in Mewtwo being super early in development. Joker's dev time has been largely a mystery so we had no idea how far in development he was at the time of his reveal. You'd think we'd have gotten maybe a bit more information by now but Atlus is seemingly forcing Nintendo to play it close to the vest so its frustrating.

Also keep in mind, we got Mewtwo's reveal trailer at the beginning of the month even though he came out at the end of it. We're now halfway through April and still no sign of Joker OR the 3.0 update.

Joker constantly feels just out of reach

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I know that's why it's weird that it feels longer
I think the problem is that Joker was announced before the game came out - it's been over four months since then, and unlike Mewtwo (where we have Melee to go off of), we still have no idea how Joker's going to play, what his stage is going to be like, what other content we're going to get with him (assist trophies? spirits? Mii costumes), and so on.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Basing your arguments on your personal feelings is also a pretty weak way to make a point.
You do that sometimes too Osby. I know you don't think another villain is necessary, but we only get like one villain and 2 or 3 anti heroes per game. Melee and Ultimate was the exception because we got Bowser and Ganondorf in Melee while we got Ridley, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Piranha Plant in Ultimate. And no, I don't really count the anti heroes as villains. We deserved all those villains we got in Ultimate and perhaps one more wouldn't hurt since we barely have gotten that much villains in the past games.

I’m not sure who else could be a bigger reveal than them at E3.
Sora or Crash Bandicoot would be a bigger deal to see at E3 to most people outside of this community. Sora's inclusion would break the Internet.

It would be a major middle finger at Sony if that happened and I hope it does.
Regardless if it would be a middle finger to Sony or not, Crash definitely deserves a spot in the roster because of his stats as a major 90s gaming icon.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Just because you don’t enjoy certain content doesn’t make the period a drought. It’s still content being released.

All I’m pointing out is that they’ve clearly improved considerably since Smash 4. They’ve actively provided more content in a shorter period of time, and I’d think a full unique newcomer deserves a little more attention and credit for showing up in the middle of this so called “drought.” Plus, like I said, we’ll end up with way more content in less time with the release of 3.0. That would seem to make for a pretty earned delay between release of the full game and the first Challenger Pack (which again, that time period was bisected by a character and essentially a new mode).
It's still drought because none of this has been officially revealed. Yes we know Joker is coming but at the same time we only have his model because of a messed up ad. Yes we know stage builder will be in but we don't know if it's better or worse than in past games and
again only know it's there because of a messed up ad. And that's before mentioning it was a feature that came in the base of the the previous two so yeah great.

osby

Smash Obsessed
You do that sometimes too Osby. I know you don't think another villain is necessary, but we only get like one villain and 2 or 3 anti heroes per game. Melee and Ultimate was the exception because we got Bowser and Ganondorf in Melee while we got Ridley, King K. Rool, Dark Samus, and Piranha Plant in Ultimate. And no, I don't really count the anti heroes as villains. We deserved all those villains we got in Ultimate and perhaps one more wouldn't hurt since we barely have gotten that much villains in the past games.
I'm not sure what this has anything to do with my quoted post or this thread.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
The core difference between the wait for Mewtwo VS the wait for Joker is just... it was Mewtwo, everyone knew what to expect from him. Joker is entirely new.

Right off the bat they were upfront in Mewtwo being super early in development. Joker's dev time has been largely a mystery so we had no idea how far in development he was at the time of his reveal. You'd think we'd have gotten maybe a bit more information by now but Atlus is seemingly forcing Nintendo to play it close to the vest so its frustrating.

Also keep in mind, we got Mewtwo's reveal trailer at the beginning of the month even though he came out at the end of it. We're now halfway through April and still no sign of Joker OR the 3.0 update.

Joker constantly feels just out of reach
I wish they'd just announce something or at least reveal when we will find out. Cause the vague date of April is so frustrating

Top Bottom