• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

D

Deleted member

There’s only one thing that makes me believe banjo is coming and that is rare replay on the switch

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Isn't Rayman popular in Japan as well?
Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I actually recently just made his, with the help of this site.

platformersalesinjapan.png

To sum things up:

1. Crash was legimiately huge in Japan during the 90s. Crash 2 sold over a million units, and Crash 3 wasn't far behind. Notably, the N-Sane Trilogy didn't do nearly as well there, which is surprising considering that it was a massive hit everywhere else in the world.
2. The Banjo duology weren't actually huge hits, but they sold relatively well for western designed platformers exclusive to a not particurly popular console in Japan (Saturn sold better there. Saturn. Just think about that). Kazooie sold over 400k, and Tooie sold half of that, which makes sense when you consider that the N64 was pretty much on its way out by November 2000.
3. Like I said, Rayman pretty much doesn't exist in Japan. Very few of his games were released there and they all sold like rancid trash.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Watch Sakurai fool us all and put in Yooka-Laylee over Banjo.
I went back to Yooka-Laylee after the 64-bit tonic was released, and they'd make great Smash characters as well. The game gets a lot of ****, but The Completionist gave a great overview why Yooka-Laylee is great. Not perfect, but hits most of the marks it set out to achieve, and was a great experience, not strictly nostalgia driven. Most of the problems are implementation issues, while its strengths are baked into fundamental design. If they hadn't had to make a company from scratch and use a relatively shoe-string budget for what the project needed, it could have exceeded the originals, and what they have is a great foundation if they ever have the chance to improve upon it.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
That's a great summary of how great it would be for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash. For me, it comes down to three factors:

1) Unique abilities: I have no clue why some would say Banjo & Kazooie don't offer anything new, as they are a duo where each character offers their own unique moves. The games have many hallmarks, but one that is often overlooked is the variety of moves Banjo & Kazooie have across the two main games. Typical moves you'd expect from a platforming character: moves akin to punching, butt stomp, etc. In addition, Kazooie gives the duo both flight and projectiles. The latter allows for even more of a variety if taking Tooie into account, from elemental projectiles, to clockwork Kazooie eggs that can act like Bowser Jr's mechakoopas. Kazooie's Talon Trot can give them speed, while her Flap Flip or shock spring integration can give them height. If anything, there's so much to choose from, Banjo & Kazooie would likely have to be dialed down to be well balanced. You could make five different Smash characters by mix and matching only the moves in their games, without having to use any artistic liberties to make them viable. You don't have to bend over backwards to come up with a viable moveset.

2) Characters/stages/music: In addition to what makes them great as characters, there's a variety of quirky allies and villains that would have made great assists, bosses and cameos. Though, that's less relevant when it comes to DLC. Their levels are so full of character with tons of variety, any of them would make a great stage--typical elemental levels mixed alongside levels with unique concepts (Clanker's Cavern has you go into a mechanical shark, Click Clock Wood has 4 different versions of the stage for each season). And, of course, Banjo & Kazooie's strong suit, it's amazing soundtrack composed by the legendary Grant Kirkhope. Any of their songs would be awesome to include.

3) Popularity/Relevancy/Legacy: Their irrelevancy is often used as a strike against them, except their popularity and legacy overwhelms that. Banjo & Kazooie are typically at the top of the polls, in the West and the East, and have been requested since Melee. Back then, Sakurai called their inclusion, along with 007, "obvious", and only cited legal issues as their problem--an issue that may not be problematic nowadays. Back then, Banjo & Kazooie was one of the top platforming games, their names alongside Mario, Donkey Kong and Link. If they were still owned by Nintendo, their inclusion into Smash would have been guaranteed--if assuming the legal barriers are no longer an issue, there's no reason that would have changed. If anything's changed, their absence from Nintendo has only increased people's desires for Banjo & Kazooie, a story of missed opportunities and redemption. So much so, former Rare devs kickstarted a game inspired by Banjo & Kazooie, setting records in the process. That is irrespective of what you thought of the quality of Yooka-Laylee--there was significant demand, despite Banjo & Kazooie's IP holder's reluctance to do anything with them. Are they as iconic as Mega Man and Pac-Man? No, but more people know of them than most characters requested, or that made it into Smash. Being a Microsoft collaboration of former Nintendo characters enhances the hype.

For me, Banjo & Kazooie is not strictly about nostalgia, despite it being a factor, it's because they're the whole package.
Completely 100% agree with you, CQ! Banjo & Kazooie are not only popular and nostalgic classics from the N64 days, their major games practically gift-wrapped everything the Smash development team would need to make them viable fighters. On-screen appearance/stage entrance? Got plenty to choose from. Idle poses? Got them. A vibrant cartoony personality with tons of material to offer for sound effects, animations, and taunts? Got them. A ton of moves and abilities for offense, defense, and traversal? Got them. A variety of ways to make them unique and stand out from the rest of the massive Smash Ultimate roster? Got them. A plethora of iconic home stages with gimmicks galore to choose from? Got them. A variety of iconic and classic nostalgic music to fight to? Got them by the buttload! A colorful cast of memorable characters to turn into stage hazards, assist trophies, and trophies/stickers/spirits? Got them. A deep and rich history not only due to debuting solely on Nintendo consoles like Mega Man and Simon Belmont before them, but a unique and groundbreaking way to incorporate them in Smash via their newfound relationship with a rival video game company the likes of which haven't been seen since the days of Snake and Sonic arriving to fight Mario in Brawl and Cloud Strife appearing in Sm4sh, reviving, revitalizing, and returning a pair of beloved video game mascots to the spotlight after wallowing in years of obscurity, and would send shockwaves throughout the gaming and pop culture communities? Freaking got them.

If Sakurai, Nintendo, and Microsoft play ball here and bring the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies into Smash Ultimate this year, they would make instant bank through both the Fighter Pass AND amiibo sales. I will absolutely insta-buy the entire Fighter Pass on the spot without question if Banjo & Kazooie get officially announced AND preorder the Banjo & Kazooie amiibo as soon as they are up for ordering AND buy the Totaku figure as well.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

View attachment 205350

To sum things up:

1. Crash was legimiately huge in Japan during the 90s. Crash 2 sold over a million units, and Crash 3 wasn't far behind. Notably, the N-Sane Trilogy didn't do nearly as well there, which is surprising considering that it was a massive hit everywhere else in the world.
2. The Banjo duology weren't actually huge hits, but they sold relatively well for western designed platformers exclusive to a not particurly popular console in Japan (Saturn sold better there. Saturn. Just think about that). Kazooie sold over 400k, and Tooie sold half of that, which makes sense when you consider that the N64 was pretty much on its way out by November 2000.
3. Like I said, Rayman pretty much doesn't exist in Japan. Very few of his games were released there and they all sold like rancid trash.
I think it took the second time round on Switch releasing to get N Sane to sell okay over there or something?

And wow, poor, poor Rayman. No wonder he's drowning his sorrows in Brawlhala.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
My whole problem with Yooka-Laylee, and this is just me, is that it feels like instead of being inspired and influenced by the formula of Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie, it feels more like they're trying to replace Banjo & Kazooie. And I feel like I'd rather see more energy being focused on a new Banjo-Kazooie game than just letting them fall to the wayside while a successor takes over. I'm not saying I necessarily want a new game for Banjo-Kazooie if it's just gonna end up disappointing like Nuts n' Bolts did for some, but at least I'd like to see Banjo & Kazooie make a comeback in some way or shape other than some nods and merchandise. If Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Mega Man, and even freaking Bubsy and Toe Jam & Earl can make dramatic and fun returns without just being put to the way side for spiritual successors to take over, why then should Banjo-Kazooie be left in the dust while Yooka-Laylee take over? Know what I mean? Nothing against Yooka-Laylee, they're fun characters and I appreciate them trying to capture the spirit of Rare's glory days, but its weird seeing all these other cartoony mascot platformers get official remasters and sequels while Banjo-Kazooie, characters I grew up with and care about, continue to get shafted.

D

Deleted member

I just thought of something.

Why were we even trying to deconfirm Steve while nothing bad has happened to banjo for the past 2 days?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I just thought of something.

Why were we even trying to deconfirm Steve while nothing bad has happened to banjo for the past 2 days?
Are her tweets still up? The fact she commented today about the issue is even more telling

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

View attachment 205350

To sum things up:

The N Sane Trilogy was based on the original western versions of the Crash Games, and lacked any of the stuff the Japanese PSX versions had (the different soundtrack such as Dr Cortex's boss theme and bonus stage, the tutorials and dialogue with a voiced Aku Aku, etc) that's why i think it didn't do so well over there, since you can't use nostalgia on them when the version they got was quite different from what we remember in the west.

That first image is so freaking adorable omg
View attachment 205353
*melts*
This image though:
1554594589405.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
My whole problem with Yooka-Laylee, and this is just me, is that it feels like instead of being inspired and influenced by the formula of Banjo-Kazooie & Banjo-Tooie, it feels more like they're trying to replace Banjo & Kazooie. And I feel like I'd rather see more energy being focused on a new Banjo-Kazooie game than just letting them fall to the wayside while a successor takes over. I'm not saying I necessarily want a new game for Banjo-Kazooie if it's just gonna end up disappointing like Nuts n' Bolts did for some, but at least I'd like to see Banjo & Kazooie make a comeback in some way or shape other than some nods and merchandise. If Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Mega Man, and even freaking Bubsy and Toe Jam & Earl can make dramatic and fun returns without just being put to the way side for spiritual successors to take over, why then should Banjo-Kazooie be left in the dust while Yooka-Laylee take over? Know what I mean? Nothing against Yooka-Laylee, they're fun characters and I appreciate them trying to capture the spirit of Rare's glory days, but its weird seeing all these other cartoony mascot platformers get official remasters and sequels while Banjo-Kazooie, characters I grew up with and care about, continue to get shafted.
The difference is those characters still have people at the respective companies who give a crap about the characters whereas Rare is no longer the Rare we grew up with. As far as I'm concerned Playtonic is actually Rare and while the Yooka and Laylee may not be the Bird and Bear proper they carry the same spirit which is far better to me than Not Rare making Nuts and Bolts 2 or just putting nods to the series in No Man's Sea.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I know no one will believe me because everything is anonymous but I made the initial banjo Post in the first thread that started it all. I am the mother of sevens.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
I know no one will believe me because everything is anonymous but I made the initial banjo Post in the first thread that started it all. I am the mother of sevens.
I'll believe you, it is an Honor to meet you

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Just take a screenshot and show the (you)'s

D

Deleted member

........Why is the guest list still so high, where are they coming from?

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
350 pages? How awesome! Congrats.
I've been away from the forum for about 2 months. What is the status on Banjo? Seen some YT videoes from SmashBoarders theorizing that "brave" could be Banjo? What is the current opinion of that?

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Seeing as the Banjo-Kazooie games didn't do so hot in Japan upon their first release at first made me a bit nervous, but then yeah, seeing that every game on the N64 in Japan didn't do so hot eased those nerves, as B-K and B-T did comparably well to them. And of course, Banjo-Kazooie themselves were highly requested for Smash in Japan alone, which certainly helps their favor. And I'm sure at the time of the games release there, they were promoted heavily by Nintendo as if they were a first party franchise, as they were in the west as well. Doesn't shake my confidence in their chances in Smash.

Also, gotta remember that they don't deserve to be in Smash because they're an iconic third party, but moreso because of their history with Nintendo as a Nintendo property, so it's not like it's fair to pit them up against Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Dragon Quest, or any other franchise that's far more notable, and is impossible to argue aren't more notable than the Banjo-Kazooie brand when taken outside of the context of Nintendo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I feel you man. I'm still waiting for Interplay to find someone that will do something with the Earthworm Jim license…

The difference is those characters still have people at the respective companies who give a crap about the characters whereas Rare is no longer the Rare we grew up with. As far as I'm concerned Playtonic is actually Rare and while the Yooka and Laylee may not be the Bird and Bear proper they carry the same spirit which is far better to me than Not Rare making Nuts and Bolts 2 or just putting nods to the series in No Man's Sea.
If it helps, one can consider Y-K to be a spiritual successor to Chameleon Twist, lord knows Sunsoft aren't around to continue that series anymore.

View attachment 205350

To sum things up:

It's a sad day when even Metroid matters more over there than you.

Seeing as the Banjo-Kazooie games didn't do so hot in Japan upon their first release at first made me a bit nervous, but then yeah, seeing that every game on the N64 in Japan didn't do so hot eased those nerves, as B-K and B-T did comparably well to them. And of course, Banjo-Kazooie themselves were highly requested for Smash in Japan alone, which certainly helps their favor. And I'm sure at the time of the games release there, they were promoted heavily by Nintendo as if they were a first party franchise, as they were in the west as well. Doesn't shake my confidence in their chances in Smash.

Also, gotta remember that they don't deserve to be in Smash because they're an iconic third party, but moreso because of their history with Nintendo as a Nintendo property, so it's not like it's fair to pit them up against Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, Dragon Quest, or any other franchise that's far more notable, and is impossible to argue aren't more notable than the Banjo-Kazooie brand when taken outside of the context of Nintendo.
To me, it's all apples and oranges. Joker shows that even the little guy can have a chance to hang out with the big leagues.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

Neat thing I found regarding Tooie's ending.

The japan version puts Grunty in a bag (N64 only though).

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

View attachment 205350

To sum things up:

Why are you trying to put the Saturn down? Sega made a very solid base in Japan and almost everything that came out for the system came from Japanese developers. The system was almost entirely positioned for their market.

I know the system gets a real awful rep in the States because Sega of America was beyond incompetent, but the game library was genuinely pretty great and offered a lot of stuff not on Nintendo.

Especially when I’d wager that the N64 / Gamecube era was the most Japanese unfriendly Nintendo ever was if there is such a thing. Titles did well over there of course, but the N64 definitely has a narrative that seems more entrenched in Western games thanks to Rare specially and the just limited as hell support the system received. All the big third parties I ever hear discussed in nostalgia for the system are Western IPs too.

It’s never been surprising to me the Saturn did well over there. Sega misplayed their hand horribly throughout the mid-late 90s, but the Saturn was surprising solid For all of those missteps.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
But if that's the case, why not just give Playtonic the Banjo-Kazooie license so they can make an official Banjo-Kazooie sequel or remaster? I know that's wishful thinking, but then Banjo & Kazooie just stay in the background like they have been while Yooka-Laylee and all the other cartoony platformer mascots get sequels and stuff. That's not fair at all to us fans who wanted a Banjo-Threeie all those years back. It's why I feel for those poor fools that are still waiting on Half-Life 3. I don't have any personal interest in Yooka-Laylee if it means no more future prospects for Banjo-Kazooie. I mean, Banjo-Kazooie is literally one of the only video game series I was truly invested in when it was big, the others being Smash Bros. and Snowboard Kids, the latter obviously also not having anything done with it. It just stinks that practically everyone else gets their childhood games revitalized in recent years and third-party slots in Smash, while those of us who grew up with Banjo have to hope after years of no proper sequels or remasters that they have the slightest chance of getting a slot in Smash, which is not certain at all. I just want some redemption for the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
But if that's the case, why not just give Playtonic the Banjo-Kazooie license so they can make an official Banjo-Kazooie sequel or remaster? I know that's wishful thinking, but then Banjo & Kazooie just stay in the background like they have been while Yooka-Laylee and all the other cartoony platformer mascots get sequels and stuff. That's not fair at all to us fans who wanted a Banjo-Threeie all those years back. It's why I feel for those poor fools that are still waiting on Half-Life 3. I don't have any personal interest in Yooka-Laylee if it means no more future prospects for Banjo-Kazooie. I mean, Banjo-Kazooie is literally one of the only video game series I was truly invested in when it was big, the others being Smash Bros. and Snowboard Kids, the latter obviously also not having anything done with it. It just stinks that practically everyone else gets their childhood games revitalized in recent years and third-party slots in Smash, while those of us who grew up with Banjo have to hope after years of no proper sequels or remasters that they have the slightest chance of getting a slot in Smash, which is not certain at all. I just want some redemption for the beloved backpacking bear and bird buddies.
Why? I dunno, but most companies, even if they never plan on using the IP again, don't get rid of their IPs and Playtonic is still getting itself off the ground so I doubt they are ready to pay licensing fees to go to Microsoft.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I agree that's what I would personally want them to do--Playtonic would treat Banjo & Kazooie better than Microsoft/Rare. Though, we know why they don't--money. Microsoft makes money and has the potential to make money holding onto Banjo-Kazooie's IP, and Playtonic would not be able to afford how much it would cost to make the purchase worth it to Microsoft. It's all about money (and that's true for every company, including Nintendo).

As such, those former Rare devs were in a bind. They wanted to see something done with Banjo & Kazooie for the fans, and they saw that the current Rare wasn't doing anything, and wasn't going to do anything. So they decided to try to do it themselves. Of course, they couldn't use Banjo & Kazooie without being sued, so they did their best to make it as close as possible--and I feel like what they did was amazing. The characters look great, the pun on the name is genius (as well as their companies name), they got all of the people they could who were involved with the original games, the music by Wise and Kirkhope is pitch perfect, the original humor and charm is still there. Many of the shortcomings I feel were a result of starting a company from scratch and making the game on an indie budget.

And who knows--perhaps the success of the Kickstarter, as well as the growing interest in 3D platforming games from the 90s, causes Microsoft/Rare to rethink their reluctance to Banjo-Kazooie. Perhaps by showing the demand, and making a game as a proof of concept, by making Yooka-Laylee, it could be a catalyst for reviving Banjo-Kazooie. That is a highly optimistic, perhaps naive, idea--just a different perspective on their motivations and intentions. I feel it was better than them doing nothing. They didn't have to make a company, create a kickstarter, and model it off of Banjo-Kazooie. I feel like they did it for the fans, and for that, I'm grateful to them.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to love Yooka-Laylee so badly but the thing that kills it for me is the level/challenge design. It’s bad and there’s no rhyme or reason to it. It’s a shame too cause I was really looking forward to it ever since the Kickstarter opened. I also feel like it tries way too hard to be as funny or as charming as Banjo. Most of the jokes are just self deprecatory, unfunny 4th wall breaks, or someone talks like a caveman. I always get flack for saying I don’t like Yooka-Laylee, but then again I did 100% it twice so... yeah. I mean I do think it controls really well, and the graphics are fairly nice most of the time.

I’d still prefer Retro to make a new Banjo over Playtonic. Given how they’ve excellently done Rare’s 2D platformer DKC, I don’t see how doing the same for their 3D platformer would be that far fetched.

Now that I think about it, could Sumo Digital do a Banjo game?

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I’d still prefer Retro to make a new Banjo over Playtonic. Given how they’ve excellently done Rare’s 2D platformer DKC, I don’t see how doing the same for their 3D platformer would be that far fetched.
Maybe Ninty and MC's newfound collaboration can help make it happen someday. I mean, we do finally have Cuphead on a console, and all...

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Maybe Ninty and MC's newfound collaboration can help make it happen someday. I mean, we do finally have Cuphead on a console, and all...
I really, really don't see Nintendo wanting to work on another company's IP like that. Even if they're on friendly terms with Microsoft, I imagine they'd want Retro and their other studios to keep working on either their established IPs or just make all new ones together.

The most you'd really get is maybe some kind of publishing deal, like how Nintendo published Mario + Rabbids in Japan.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I wanted to love Yooka-Laylee so badly but the thing that kills it for me is the level/challenge design. It’s bad and there’s no rhyme or reason to it. It’s a shame too cause I was really looking forward to it ever since the Kickstarter opened. I also feel like it tries way too hard to be as funny or as charming as Banjo. Most of the jokes are just self deprecatory, unfunny 4th wall breaks, or someone talks like a caveman. I always get flack for saying I don’t like Yooka-Laylee, but then again I did 100% it twice so... yeah. I mean I do think it controls really well, and the graphics are fairly nice most of the time.

Now that I think about it, could Sumo Digital do a Banjo game?
I'll take anything at this point. I just want to see Banjo & Kazooie continue to grace consoles instead of being sidelined like they have been for the past decade now. I mean, do we really want to live in a world where freaking Bubsy gets TWO sequels on current consoles before Banjo & Kazooie? What kind of Twilight Zone **** is that?!

hinode

Smash Cadet
The only way that Retro is ever working on a Banjo game is if Microsoft hands over the IP to Nintendo, and I would be legitimately shocked if that ever happened.

Otherwise, there is absolutely no way that Nintendo is going to let one of their subsidiary developers work on someone else's IP when they could be working on a Nintendo property like Donkey Kong instead and get 100% of the profits instead of sharing with Microsoft.

Top Bottom