• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I wish there was a stickied masterpost thread that compiled everything Verge ever said...
Smash wiki rumor page seems to have a timeline of Verge info mixed with the announcements.

Right now (at least according to the wiki), the following claim is wrong: SE is DLC 1

The following is still to materialize:
Minecraft Boss
SE/Dragon Quest character

D

Deleted member

You're right. I think he also said Minecraft content would be in base (not 100% of that though). I should've elaborated more. Let me dig up another quote, because I've addressed all this before.

This was partially in relation to comparing Verg and Gematsu, which also got the timing wrong but the content right.
I can accept his well of valid info drying up. He’s got too many good guesses for them to just be guesses, and it would make sense someone would be desperate to try and stay relevant after being in the Limelight for so long. Which wound explain a lot of his consequent actions, particularly in regard to Granblue.

It also seems to be a recurring thing among leakers, where for a while, they have access to valid info from actual inside sources, and after a while, those sources seemingly move away elsewhere or disappear, which would make sense if you’re an insider trying to protect your career, you’d vary up your channels from time to time to avoid getting caught.

My 2 cents

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I think that during the days the game started leaking (as in, bosses like Marx and Darkhon started to show up) Vergeben mentioned a Minecraft boss being in the game, but after the game released Vergeben said it would appear as DLC of some sorts (some people speculated via free update and the like, but nothing has happened right now)

Technically it hasn't been disproven yet, but when it comes to the base game, there's no MC boss.
That's true, and it could be damning (I've previously expressed skepticism about a Minecraft boss), but I'm going to see whether it actually shows up first.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Hey guys?

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Check out this whole thread. Staff member on the official Minecraft discord shot Steve down.

This could be it...
I looked him up. He just started on the job, so I don’t think he’d be privy to that information. Sometimes we have to remember even professionals in the industry can speculate, and that may just be his opinion. It is weird having two people who work on Minecraft dismiss it, rather than give some tacit support.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Look on the bright side, you got to show me eating my own words about Ken + Incineroar. Lol. Man, I remember watching that direct with my brother, that was disappointing, haha.
My intent def isn't to rub it in, but I think it's pretty funny that, to my memory, every single time we've gone at it over a leak, I've been on the correct side. :laugh: Like just statistically that shouldn't be the case.

That said, you won't see me defending a Minecraft boss anytime soon. :p

D

Deleted member

My intent def isn't to rub it in, but I think it's pretty funny that, to my memory, every single time we've gone at it over a leak, I've been on the correct side. :laugh: Like just statistically that shouldn't be the case.

That said, you won't see me defending a Minecraft boss anytime soon. :p
You’re just a lot better at keeping your emotions in check than I am. I’m in like permanent denial mode for anything I don’t like. I TRY to be rational, but it doesn’t always work out that way, lol.

I’ve just kinda grown more accustomed to being wrong and disappointed in that regard, it’s like a Monkey’s Paw of sorts. I wanted Kid Goku in DBFZ, and look how that turned out. Now just to see how I Monkey’s Paw this one, lol.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
It is weird having two people who work on Minecraft dismiss it, rather than give some tacit support.
That's the thing that stands out the most to me. If steve is in, I'd imagine nintendo wouldn't be too happy about mojang potentially killing the hype, for their own character, after giving them the honor of putting steve in smash.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

You’re just a lot better at keeping your emotions in check than I am. I’m in like permanent denial mode for anything I don’t like. I TRY to be rational, but it doesn’t always work out that way, lol.

I’ve just kinda grown more accustomed to being wrong and disappointed in that regard, it’s like a Monkey’s Paw of sorts. I wanted Kid Goku in DBFZ, and look how that turned out. Now just to see how I Monkey’s Paw this one, lol.
Oh man, you too? I also liked the idea of Kid Goku, if only to give the OG DB more well deserved characters since Roshi, Tao Pai Pai and Piccolo Daimaku are unlikely as hell, and then they use the ****ing GT version.

Now I remember that the dragon boss was cited by at least one person to be Day One DLC. Obviously, that didn't come to pass,
The name of the Dragon is the Ender Dragon, by the way.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

At least I turned out to be right about Isabelle getting in for popularity reasons and not being an Echo (although some moves were borrowed), and that we'd get DLC content. Most of the time I try to argue about something, the universe has to prove me wrong somehow.

The name of the Dragon is the Ender Dragon, by the way.
I knew of that, it seemed to me like folks here would know who I was referring to without needing to specify, is all.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What say you

That's the thing that stands out the most to me. If steve is in, I'd imagine nintendo wouldn't be too happy about mojang potentially killing the hype, for their own character, after giving them the honor of putting steve in smash.
My thought process is, though, if Steve is in, it’s not something many Minecraft employees would know. And if Nintendo/Microsoft didn’t like their comments, it’s not like they could intervene without implicitly letting those employees in on the crossover. It’s hard for me to read too much into tweets, but it’s definitely not what I would expect.

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
You're right. I think he also said Minecraft content would be in base (not 100% of that though). I should've elaborated more. Let me dig up another quote, because I've addressed all this before.

This was partially in relation to comparing Verg and Gematsu, which also got the timing wrong but the content right.
Correcto! Veggiebrain said that Minecraft content would be in base because at that time no one knew if DLC was happening or not. This was sometime after e3 2018.

Then he said that the Square Enix rep would be in base, but backed down as soon as the box theory emerged. That's when the Verge speculated that either his source was faulty or the SE rep was potentially DLC. But no one really knew DLC would be happening until Sakurai announced it at the November direct.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I'm going to avoid getting hyped for this. Not getting hurt again lol

it's probably not Steve at this point but this doesn't guarantee there is a Microsoft character.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
If he was more like how Polar operates with her sources, maybe he'd get some respect.
Pretty freaking much.

Edit: Uhh can someone explain to me why a person in charge of the official discord is some type of proof or solid evidence towards a character deconfirmation?… I understood the whole lady's tweet a few pages ago, but this is just… reaching. This comes from me, someone who supports banjo and not steve. I don't see how someone on a discord can be taken as legit info, regardless of being in charge of it and being an official group. Calm down lol

Last edited:

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
My thought process is, though, if Steve is in, it’s not something many Minecraft employees would know. And if Nintendo/Microsoft didn’t like their comments, it’s not like they could intervene without implicitly letting those employees in on the crossover. It’s hard for me to read too much into tweets, but it’s definitely not what I would expect.
I don't know. I'd imagine a senior manger would know of something major, like Steve being in smash. At the very least she'd be instructed to not say anything smash related at all. Especially something negative. I can't say much about the second guy tho.

Last edited:

BZocky

Smash Ace
This guy only just started working at Mojang in the last week of March. I'm not sure how it works over at Mojang but I doubt they'd let a rookie know vital info like this. Even if odds are that Steve isn't playable I'm doubting the accuracy of this specific outlet.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
This guy only just started working at Mojang in the last week of March. I'm not sure how it works over at Mojang but I doubt they'd let a rookie know vital info like this. Even if odds are that Steve isn't playable I'm doubting the accuracy of this specific outlet.
Sakurai always tries to go to the team for inspiration. I would assume there would still be office talk and everyone on the team would have to sign NDAs at that point. Since it would be common talk around the office I'm sure they would have the newbie sign a NDA as well since it's guaranteed he would here about it regardless.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I really just don't get why a person on a official discord is anything more special than any other employee. No employee, knowing or not, would go out to say "yes they are in" anyway. I think ppl are reaching too much at this point. Let's stay with the fact steve has low chances, but let's not reach with whatever we just read guys, lol

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Well hopefully lower lows make way for higher highs - cruising straight down the middle like I do kinda keeps me from getting super jubilant. I haven't got up and done a victory lap over a reveal since Brawl. Came close with Cloud though. But on the other hand I just laugh off the additions I don't like.

Steve included or not, I suspect this guy is destined to receive a talking too about being overly candid.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I really just don't get why a person on a official discord is anything more special than any other employee. No employee, knowing or not, would go out to say "yes they are in" anyway. I think ppl are reaching too much at this point. Let's stay with the fact steve has low chances, but let's not reach with whatever we just read guys, lol
But wouldn't you think that if Mojang and Nintendo were working closely they would let new hires know to not use their position as employees to make statements like that?

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
If Banjo-Kazooie are revealed, I hope they do something simple but grand.

Nintendo's E3 ending with the Jiggy swipe from B&K along with the sound FX. It opens to the interior to B&K's house. Banjo is cooking on the stove with his back turned to the camera as Kazooie pecks his head and squawks, causing Banjo to mess up his meal. The camera slowly pans over to the left to the small dresser(the one with the fishbowl and gold fish on it.) The camera stops for a second with said dresser being the focus of the camera, on it lays what looks like a sheet of paper. The camera slowly pans in to the paper, revealing it's an envelope with the Smash logo seal......

One can dream.....I don't know why I want Banjo-Kazooie in Smash so much but damn, after 5 games of wishing I just can't do it anymore.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
But wouldn't you think that if Mojang and Nintendo were working closely they would let new hires know to not use their position as employees to make statements like that?
If that's really the case then this person is gonna lose their job when they just got it, maybe keep an eye on that discord in case that happens and they disappear lol.

BZocky

Smash Ace
If that's really the case then this person is gonna lose their job when they just got it, maybe keep an eye on that discord in case that happens and they disappear lol.
following NDA=small brain
making a smash bros leak=big brain
making a smash bros leak about minecraft steve, sharing it with an online chatroom of thousands and loosing your dream job=galaxy brain

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
This is the way I see it:

Even if he DID only just recently start working there, it still doesn't change the fact that we've had TWO people representing Minecraft and the company openly shoot down Steve

Aubrey's position is a Senior Manager, as Atmoz Atmoz pointed out in a previous post, she is absolutely the kind of person who would know about a deal to get Minecraft in Smash. If anyone, she'd be the person putting out a gag-order to NOT talk about it.

She even KNOWS this is a hot-button issue for Smash Bros and yet she's throwing her hat in the ring and engaging with us!

1554525749474.png

Consider this:

Halo and Cuphead's developers have been active on Twitter about how much they WANT to be a part of Super Smash Bros. They WANT to be a part of a fighters list that is already decided and finalized... they're NOT in...

We had the Senior Manager openly state in a previous tweet that Steve is not important enough to get in

Rare and Microsoft on the subject of Banjo though? Silence. When a company wants to keep a secret... they usually just shut up about it, and boy has some of Minecraft's folks been noisy lately.

There IS the chance that they're lying in order to maintain a big surprise... but I kind of doubt it? The only dev who really did that was Kamiya in regards to Bayonetta joining Smash... but he's KNOWN for being eccentric on Twitter

1554526154702.png

We can debate all we want on whether this kills Steve outright... but you can't deny this is a good sign in our favor

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It kind of begs the question as to why more people who are part of a studio/company that didn't get their character included don't just deconfirm them upon being asked. They're beholden to no NDA.

Perhaps it's just an uncouth thing to do.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm OK with Minecraft stuff, I'd love a stage. But when it comes to characters, Banjo is the only one who I want that really stands a chance these days (although some remain hopeful for Bandana Dee)

After Banjo though, bring on Steve

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm it's pretty interesting that all of these Microsoft developers are literally following Phil Spencer's way of advocating for a character in Smash. Either that means they know Banjo is definitely in or they feel strongly about Banjo's inclusion like we do and they are throwing their hat in for their characters.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm OK with Minecraft stuff, I'd love a stage. But when it comes to characters, Banjo is the only one who I want that really stands a chance these days (although some remain hopeful for Bandana Dee)

After Banjo though, bring on Steve
I see your pfp has been getting better and better! haha

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
It kind of begs the question as to why more people who are part of a studio/company that didn't get their character included don't just deconfirm them upon being asked. They're beholden to no NDA.

Perhaps it's just an uncouth thing to do.
I have a feeling some keep silent to keep the air of mystery as to who's getting in. If all devs deconfirmed their characters then it wouldn't take long for people to figure out who is in. Still it's nice to know who's out the running.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I have a feeling some keep silent to keep the air of mystery as to who's getting in. If all devs deconfirmed their characters then it wouldn't take long for people to figure out who is in. Still it's nice to know who's out the running.
Well, there is some wiggle room between what we have now and all devs bar those of characters included. The guessing game would still be real.

And perhaps some stay quiet so as to not spoil things but I'd imagine many aren't as invested in the whole spectacle as those posing the questions.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
papagenos papagenos , what do you think of all this?
Making a video on it all currently haha, A lot of stuff has come out against Steve getting in Smash lately but I'm wary of saying Steve is deconfirmed. I don't think anything absolutely definitive has happened yet.

Though I will admit had this Aubrey/theRaddestBro stuff happen for some OTHER character I'd probably assume they were out of the running...

However with Steve theres so much controversy surrounding the character, leakers in the past have backed minecraft in smash, and theres a rivalry with Banjo thats hard to divorce my own bias from. So because of those reasons I'm just very cautious to write off Steve without a VERY convict piece of evidence against him. These recent events have been some strong hits against Steve but I can't say he's definitely not in Smash yet.

Aubrey hasnt outright said no to Steve and I dont know if she'd know for sure whether Steve is in or what, though I find it very odd she seems against the idea... not something I'd expect anyone working for minecraft would actively encourage if there was even a CHANCE Steve was in that they might not know about. and of course even speaking about it at all might break NDA if she is in the know about Steve.

TheRaddestBro is apparently a very new employee so I can't take what they say as absolute fact, they really may not know at all if Steve is happening in Smash. Of course I question why they said anything at all really, instead of just saying they don't know.

and then as for Banjo... with Master Chief/Cuphead/and now Steve all having some form of possible deconfirmation, Banjo stands alone as the only character to not have anything like that going against them (as far as the big name Microsoft reps for Smash go). So hopefully thats how things go, but of course we aren't guaranteed a Microsoft rep (though it seems likely to me with how close Nintendo and Microsoft have been lately) so we'll just have to wait and see what happens with Banjo I guess.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I see your pfp has been getting better and better! haha
Haha, thanks. Actually someone made it for me same time you made my old one. I switched to this one because some people thought I might have been a Bandana Dee detractor with his panicked look.

Top Bottom