• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I agree with the last 3 posters above me exactly. While I don't personally know Joker, his design is cool but is most exciting because no one was expecting him and I think people thought Nintendo was going to choose 1st party advertisement characters. I'm more excited about the DLC now than I was two days ago for sure. (Only thing better would have been to reveal Banjo yesterday, but I think he has good chances!)

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
If you think about it, Joker getting revealed actually boosts Banjo's chances significantly. Since we started out with a literal wild card who nobody predicted, it really brings the integrity of the people pushing Steve/denying Banjo into question, as they were pushing a Square Enix rep being revealed first. Also the whole "all the DLC will be from never before represented games" thing, while it kind of screws over Porky, Monhun, Poochy, Adeleine, and Sylux, it doesn't affect Banjo's bearings at all.

Also not to mention that if all the DLC newcomers are from previously unrepresented ips, that's a hard deconfirm for a new Fire Emblem rep, which is something I can get behind.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If you think about it, Joker getting revealed actually boosts Banjo's chances significantly. Since we started out with a literal wild card who nobody predicted, it really brings the integrity of the people pushing Steve/denying Banjo into question, as they were pushing a Square Enix rep being revealed first. Also the whole "all the DLC will be from never before represented games" thing, while it kind of screws over Porky, Monhun, Poochy, Adeleine, and Sylux, it doesn't affect Banjo's bearings at all.

Also not to mention that if all the DLC newcomers are from previously unrepresented ips, that's a hard deconfirm for a new Fire Emblem rep, which is something I can get behind.
To be fair; it was more along the lines of "Fighters new to the series" which is PR talk for "no veteran's". Reggie would have said included somthing like the word "franchises" if he meant we were only getting new series. But I agree about Banjo!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I do think with the way Reggie said it though, I'm not really expecting a Fire Emblem or Pokémon DLC. Neither of them would really seem "surprising". I don't think personally we're going to see Sylux, Porky, or Adeleine as the missing Spirits have lead some people to believe, for a bit of the same reason. (And unless Sylux is cooler in the game he's in, he just looks like a lame dark Samus to a bystander's position.)

I do think we'll get some promotional / advertisement characters, and if Persona 5 comes to Switch, maker Joker was one of them.

Either way, I'm definitely more excited for the DLC now than I was before, and I'm definitely hopeful for Banjo.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'd even dare to say Banjo is the most likely DLC fighter, even over Geno. (Although I want them both, of course) Banjo fit's in perfectly with Reggie's statements, not to mention the x box pass.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
To be fair; it was more along the lines of "Fighters new to the series" which is PR talk for "no veteran's". Reggie would have said included somthing like the word "franchises" if he meant we were only getting new series. But I agree about Banjo!
I've heard people interpreting Reggie's words like this before and I'm glad you pointed this out. I was starting to think I missed something. Realistically, characters' chances haven't changed.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
The real reason Banjo and Kazooie weren't announced on The Game Awards:

Source

EDIT: Actual source. I bet it was Gruntilda who had the Phantom Thieves steal the Smash invitation!

Last edited:

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I'm a bit late but I guess I'll leave my thoughts here:

1. I was shocked. I didn't expect any Smash announcements AT ALL.
2. I never played Persona, I know nothing about it... But somehow I wasn't disappointed. I liked the character design, and I've been told Persona has crazy good music.
3. My favorite part is that no insider or leaker said Joker, which means nobody has info and we can expect ANYTHING. Makes it more exciting.
4. I don't think this increases or decreases Banjo&Kazooie's chances. Although, to be fair, it's a bit worrying since I never saw a single person request Joker, and especially after Piranha Plant, I feel like they're not listening to fan requests. I feel like if Banjo somehow gets in, it must be as a part of some kind of deal with Microsoft, and not because ballots or polls or stuff like that.
5. I was planning to do something for the DLC characters: I'd try to play their games so I'd get to know them and make myself excited for them. Well, it's a bad start, because I don't have a PS4/PS3 so I can't play Persona 5. And isn't it veeeery strange that this announcement wasn't bundled with a "Persona 5 on Switch in 2019"?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I've read that Persona is a niche series, that Joker would be a "who?" to most people (although apparently it won(?) GOTY for JRPGs last year or something).

In my experience, I hadn't heard of Shin Megami Tensei until some SMT x Fire Emblem trailer that was probably on GameXplain's channel a few years ago or so, and didn't know about Persona nor Joker until this year after being on this website, and didn't even know anything about SMT other than what was in that trailer until...the same reason as Joker.

From what it sounds like, Joker is the opposite of a shill/advertisement character, especially since Persona 5 isn't on Nintendo (and, from what I've read, neither is Joker except for maybe one thing on the 3DS), so we can probably expect more fan-picks including ones that aren't as heavily-demanded.

Last edited:

g1clank

Smash Rookie
I'm a bit late but I guess I'll leave my thoughts here:

1. I was shocked. I didn't expect any Smash announcements AT ALL.
2. I never played Persona, I know nothing about it... But somehow I wasn't disappointed. I liked the character design, and I've been told Persona has crazy good music.
3. My favorite part is that no insider or leaker said Joker, which means nobody has info and we can expect ANYTHING. Makes it more exciting.
4. I don't think this increases or decreases Banjo&Kazooie's chances. Although, to be fair, it's a bit worrying since I never saw a single person request Joker, and especially after Piranha Plant, I feel like they're not listening to fan requests. I feel like if Banjo somehow gets in, it must be as a part of some kind of deal with Microsoft, and not because ballots or polls or stuff like that.
5. I was planning to do something for the DLC characters: I'd try to play their games so I'd get to know them and make myself excited for them. Well, it's a bad start, because I don't have a PS4/PS3 so I can't play Persona 5. And isn't it veeeery strange that this announcement wasn't bundled with a "Persona 5 on Switch in 2019"?
A guy on 4chan had Joker as a possible DLC selection since November 24th

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
A guy on 4chan had Joker as a possible DLC selection since November 24th
That doesn't really mean anything imo. Could've been just a lucky guess. Plus 4chan posts are all anonymous so it's not like there's a way to follow one of them even if they get everything right.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Btw, nice to meet you fellow Banjo fans. I'm Ctoan and I pledge full support. :)

Khandoit

Smash Cadet
That doesn't really mean anything imo. Could've been just a lucky guess. Plus 4chan posts are all anonymous so it's not like there's a way to follow one of them even if they get everything right.

Yeah, but if they are a real leaker, anon on 4chan is one of the best identities to use. Of course this means it’s also a great place to drop disinformation.

Still though, there’s one fairly recent Anon post on 4chan and as far as I can dig so far it’s the only one saying joker that isn’t constructed in an obvious joke kind of way. It also says they heard banjo, a SE rep, sylux, and A FE rep. Which now that joker is confirmed, sounds really plausible. Sylux makes a lot of sense and Verge is doubling down on there being another SE rep despite being wrong on the whole “the SE rep will be first.” Thing.

But yeah have hope for banjo at least at this point. More is happening behind the scenes than we can know or guess. We still have Rare spirit references in the data.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Good news: I officially have a copy of Smash Ultimate.

Bad news: I can't actually play it until Christmas because the Switch is a Christmas present.

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but if they are a real leaker, anon on 4chan is one of the best identities to use. Of course this means it’s also a great place to drop disinformation.

Still though, there’s one fairly recent Anon post on 4chan and as far as I can dig so far it’s the only one saying joker that isn’t constructed in an obvious joke kind of way. It also says they heard banjo, a SE rep, sylux, and A FE rep. Which now that joker is confirmed, sounds really plausible. Sylux makes a lot of sense and Verge is doubling down on there being another SE rep despite being wrong on the whole “the SE rep will be first.” Thing.

But yeah have hope for banjo at least at this point. More is happening behind the scenes than we can know or guess. We still have Rare spirit references in the data.
I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo is aware of Vergeben and they maybe swapped the SE reveal with Joker just to throw off Verge's accuracy.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think it's pretty obvious Nintendo is aware of Vergeben and they maybe swapped the SE reveal with Joker just to throw off Verge's accuracy.
Do you think they'd go that far? I don't think they'd change their whole agenda because of someone who has had a bit of inside in the past. He is super unsure about DLC contents, I don't think they'd change their schedule because of some posts on GameFAQs, personally. I mean, I obviously don't know for sure, but that might be a bit of a stretch? =P

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Quick question: does anyone here know how well the game runs in Portable mode? Is it better, worse, or roughly the same as playing it on the TV?

Gum-Gum Smash

Smash Apprentice
I agree with the last 3 posters above me exactly. While I don't personally know Joker, his design is cool but is most exciting because no one was expecting him and I think people thought Nintendo was going to choose 1st party advertisement characters. I'm more excited about the DLC now than I was two days ago for sure. (Only thing better would have been to reveal Banjo yesterday, but I think he has good chances!)
Yeah for sure, I think that Banjo has the best chance honestly with everything we've been seeing. (Also I know you haven't played, but Joker is gonna be pretty cool. Persona is a great franchise)

I think Reggie's statements line up perfectly for Banjo as well. No one would be expecting them because they are owned by Microsoft

At any rate, this does give a bit more confidence that Nintendo will make the right decisions with this pass

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I reaaaally doubt the Smash team/Nintendo pays attention to any of this leak and its drama, even less if it happens on some overseas smash forum. I think they only care when a real picture gets leaked, like that Ken one in Moray Towers stage.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Frankly I was upset, not because of the Joker reveal, no, its because I watched 3 hours of Cringe with only 4 hours of sleep.

I work early mornings and I stayed up until midnight just for the game awards and smash (so I was pretty exhausted to say the least), yeah the joker is ok, I've never played Persona in my life and frankly I could care less for it, but since Persona was never on a Nintendo Console (besides PersonaQ on 3DS) and is mainly a Playstation Exclusive game series it gives me more hope that Banjo will be included, 4 more slots to go everyone.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I’m from the Dixie thread and have given up on her chances, but still glad I got K. Rool. Banjo and Crash Bandicoot are my most wanted now and I feel Nintendo’s going to add all of their DLC characters as third-party reps from new IPs. Nintendo continues to boast about this being the biggest crossover ever so Banjo still has a great shot, but Minecraft Steve is legit competition.

Good luck Banjo fans.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
Besides the GameCube controller, what controller do most fine works best?
I've been using a pro controller since I got Ultimate and honestly I think I like it more than the GC controllers that I've been using before. The button layout is much easier on my fingers lol.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The Pro controller is super comfortable! I think I'm most used to the GC controller though, but pro definitely feels good too.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Boy, I'm really glad that I had absolutely no hope going in so I wasn't disappointed when Banjo wasn't announced!

Honestly, with *Joker* in the running now that means ANYTHING is possible, which might bode well for our duo

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Allow me to rephrase my question from earlier: does anyone know if the framerate for the game is significantly different in Portable mode than it is in Console mode?

I feel that Joker’s inclusion proves that the DLC characters are moreso an act of Nintendo furthering their relationship with 3rd party companies, with Joker representing their relationship with Atlus. With that said, including Banjo would not only make the fans happy but it would also be an act of furthering their relationship with Microsoft. Sure, they could use Steve to represent that, but I feel that Banjo would do a better job appealing to the audience who will be buying the DLC

Last edited:

Ctoan

Smash Apprentice
I like the pro controller, but the large travel distance on the analog sticks felt awkward to me when I played it at the tailgate tour. Will most likely try to track down a gamecube adapter, however I have a hunch the joycon grip might work well.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Allow me to rephrase my question from earlier: does anyone know if the framerate for the game is significantly different in Portable mode than it is in Console mode?
I just played about an hour in Portable mode, it plays quite smooth, actually. About the same with the WoL stuff I was doing.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I just played about an hour in Portable mode, it plays quite smooth, actually. About the same with the WoL stuff I was doing.
Alright, thanks! Portable mode is how I plan on playing it, so that's good to know that there shouldn't be any framerate issues!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I am trying to be strict on myself and limit unlocking to World of Light and...damn this is going to take me a while.

I do wish Banjo was able to make base so that he’d be part of this amazing adventure mode

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
All I know is the controllers that come with the Switch are tough to get use to. And 1080p makes the screen flash black randomly, but 720p has no issues. Smash is the only game doing that.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I am trying to be strict on myself and limit unlocking to World of Light and...damn this is going to take me a while.

I do wish Banjo was able to make base so that he’d be part of this amazing adventure mode
Being able to use Banjo in WoL would have been pretty sweet, but if I'm being honest, once I finish it,
I' currently in the World of Dark
, I don't think I'll ever touch it again. Should be able to finish it tonight or tomorrow. So eh. I would love to have played him during the opening months, but if he makes it in, I won't really think too much of him missing out on the base roster.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Same. We'll make it through this journey together lmao. At least I'm enjoying it!

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I bet it was Gruntilda who told the Phantom Thieves that Banjo has invitation to Smash as revenge for the ending of Banjo Tooie!

We cannot let Gruntilda win! Banjo must be in Smash!

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Alright, thanks! Portable mode is how I plan on playing it, so that's good to know that there shouldn't be any framerate issues!

Me and my buddies at work have been bringing our switches to play on break. We played a 5 player match today using my friends Switch in portable mode, items on, on hyrule temple, no framerate issues at all

D

Deleted member

I will say, I am happy at least that Joker was not on the radar of everyone's predictions like another SE rep, as others have said.

At this point, I also wouldn't rule out any other gaming icons, whether it's Doom Guy or Arthas or Banjo & Kazooie. Literally anything could happen.

Top Bottom