• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Just beat Banjo-Tooie 100% last night, finished it at exactly 30 hours, took me a little longer than usual since I haven't played it in several years and forgot certain things, still had a blast playing it ,But I would be lying if Grunty Industries (Hands down toughest level) and to a lesser extent Hailfire Peaks pushed me to my limits and drove me a little insane at times when I was missing a Jiggy or 2, Love the boss fights in this game especially the final fight with Grunty in the Hag 1 (Badass music too).

Final Boss: Grunty/Hag 1
https://youtu.be/2FeNLu5kjIQ

Best part is 00:57-01:27, The build up of how this is the final fight who is the most dangerous boss and that sh*t is about to go down, I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
With that logic I’ll guess the choices would be among these...
Banjo & kazooie
Geno
Chorus kids (or another rhythm heaven rep)
Mach Rider (or excite bike)
Minecraft Steve (as much as it pains me to say it)
DQ rep
Sora
Shantae (Many people may doubt her but with how much nindies have been advertised I believe there may be something there)
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

I’m going to keep ATs off the table.
Realistically going off that I would see

Banjo
Chorus Kids
Rayman
Minecraft
Some other First Party

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Just beat Banjo-Tooie 100% last night, finished it at exactly 30 hours, took me a little longer than usual since I haven't played it in several years and forgot certain things, still had a blast playing it ,But I would be lying if Grunty Industries (Hands down toughest level) and to a lesser extent Hailfire Peaks pushed me to my limits and drove me a little insane at times when I was missing a Jiggy or 2, Love the boss fights in this game especially the final fight with Grunty in the Hag 1 (Badass music too).
I recently replayed Banjo-Tooie a couple of weeks ago and I beat it in 15 hours. It's my favorite Banjo-Kazooie game. My favorite level in that game is Witchy World because of it being an amusement park and being very unique with the mini-games in that world. My least favorite level would have to be Grunty Industries because of it being a boring factory which, seems to feel like a giant maze. I will say though, Grunty Industries did have my favorite boss in the game which is Weldar.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I recently replayed Banjo-Tooie a couple of weeks ago and I beat it in 15 hours. It's my favorite Banjo-Kazooie game. My favorite level in that game is Witchy World because of it being an amusement park and being very unique with the mini-games in that world. My least favorite level would have to be Grunty Industries because of it being a boring factory which, seems to feel like a giant maze. I will say though, Grunty Industries did have my favorite boss in the game which is Welder.
Damn 15 hours? Was that at 100% too? N64 or Xbox? I played mine on N64 so I did have to deal with some of the framrate issues and While I still have my copy of Rare Replay I sold my Xbox about a year and a half ago, Yeah, I kept getting lost in Grunty Industries nearly drove me insane at times, But yeah Mr. Patch, Weldar and Grunty were my favorite bosses.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damn 15 hours? Was that at 100% too? N64 or Xbox? I played mine on N64 so I did have to deal with some of the framrate issues and While I still have my copy of Rare Replay I sold my Xbox about a year and a half ago, Yeah, I kept getting lost in Grunty Industries nearly drove me insane at times, But yeah Mr. Patch, Weldar and Grunty were my favorite bosses.
Yep, it was a 100% percent playthrough and I played it on the N64. I always play the XBLA version because of better framerate, but recently I played the N64 version because of their 20th anniversary.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Something doesn't add up here...

If Verge knew there's been Minecraft content in the game months ago, and the DLC character selection process is implied to have been done recently, then why would the MC content be in there before the character's been asked permission for? It'd be as near-sighted as the time Media Blasters tried to include bonus features in a Godzilla DVD release without asking Toho first.

Also, the userbase for Minecraft is mostly on PCs anyway, but that's besides the point.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Something doesn't add up here...

If Verge knew there's been Minecraft content in the game months ago, and the DLC character selection process is implied to have been done recently, then why would the MC content be in there before the character's been asked permission for? It'd be as near-sighted as the time Media Blasters tried to include bonus features in a Godzilla DVD release without asking Toho first.

Also, the userbase for Minecraft is mostly on PCs anyway, but that's besides the point.
It's implied to have recently been completed, but the character lineup wouldn't have been done at once.

They still have to negotiate characters and such, Minecraft content could've been one of the first things they negotiated. Negotiations can take a while, can't they?

I honestly see Vergeben's info as helping B-K, at least for the next Smash game; otherwise we'd have to rely on 100% hypothetical words, or simply Nintendo & Microsoft seeming to be getting along which is purely because of Minecraft anyway, so we wouldn't know if anything came to Smash.

I do see Steve? as being more-likely, honestly I'm happy with him or B-K, although I do wish B-K could get in Ultimate and I'd like them first.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's implied to have recently been completed, but the character lineup wouldn't have been done at once.

They still have to negotiate characters and such, Minecraft content could've been one of the first things they negotiated. Negotiations can take a while, can't they?

I honestly see Vergeben's info as helping B-K, at least for the next Smash game; otherwise we'd have to rely on 100% hypothetical words, or simply Nintendo & Microsoft seeming to be getting along which is purely because of Minecraft anyway, so we wouldn't know if anything came to Smash.
Seems fair. Worst case scenario is that nothing actually happened and Verge was only told a rumor, so we'd be back at square one again.

In the meantime, I just wish people would stop expecting a Smash confirmation every time a big event heavily features MC, since those events have nothing to do with Nintendo in the slightest.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Something that's been rattling around in the back of my head since the last Direct with the DLC is the fact that they've confirmed 5 brand-new, non-Echo Fighter characters with their own stage and music. That to me seems to indicate new playable universes added to Smash, such as those of third party characters. Until the DLC comes out and they're unconfirmed otherwise, that's a strong point in favor towards Banjo & Kazooie, the undisputed champion of unclaimed third-party characters. Who else could bring in their own stage and especially their own music? Before the deconfirmation in the Direct, Issac, Geno (although he's still kinda up in the air in my opinion), Chorus Kids, Mach Rider, & Banjo & Kazooie could all have been contenders for that DLC. They all have their own universes (unless you count Geno as a Mario character, and he could easily bring a RPG stage and music with him), and they're all very unique characters. It would be nice to see Issac upgrade to a playable character, but that's sadly a faraway wish.
Piranha Plant is confirmed to be coming with a new stage and music as well so characters from an already present series aren't off the table.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Piranha Plant is confirmed to be coming with a new stage and music as well so characters from an already present series aren't off the table.
If you're talking about the Piranha Plant announcement that was on the Nintendo Press Release page, they ninja'd that a couple days after to no longer include the Stage and Music.

The link here: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

*USED* to say "Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future."
NOW says "Piranha Plant will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. "

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
If you're talking about the Piranha Plant announcement that was on the Nintendo Press Release page, they ninja'd that a couple days after to no longer include the Stage and Music.

The link here: https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...ltimate-nintendo-direct-unleashes-new-details

*USED* to say "Piranha Plant, together with a new stage and music tracks, will be available for purchase as DLC in the future."
NOW says "Piranha Plant will be available for purchase as DLC in the future. "
Oh neat I wasn't aware.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
It was a sneaky edit on their part. Someone probably reread it and was like "Oh crap, there isn't a new stage with this thing!". Which is a bummer because I was hoping that we'd finally get a Bowser's Castle stage.

Maybe if Geno gets in there will be a Bowser's Castle SMRPG stage.

Swop

Smash Journeyman
NNID
STOPNSWOP
3DS FC
4210-4035-7088
Switch FC
SW 1091 0071 7555
Kinda down in the dumps lately, haven't been thinking about Smash at all and im keeping my expectations for Banjo at a Super low.

Slowly losing hope at the moment, but maybe this is a good thing? maybe If I dont think Banjo will get in- it'll be even more surprising and wonderful when he Is revealed as DLC? idk, I hope so though, Banjo is literally the only character I want to see, when people ask me for "whats your top 5?" I literally just put down Banjo, because he would be the Cherry ontop of an already delicious looking game.

Last edited:

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
I know it seems pretty bad for Banjo right now, but I'm not going to give up on the bear and bird just yet. Remember, it wasn't that long ago when Sakurai himself said that Ridley would never be playable.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I know it seems pretty bad for Banjo right now, but I'm not going to give up on the bear and bird just yet. Remember, it wasn't that long ago when Sakurai himself said that Ridley would never be playable.
I feel the same way about Banjo-Kazooie, But the thing with Ridley is that he was always possible regardless of his weird size since he's a first party character and if Metroid was going to get another newcomer, Without a doubt it was going to be him since he's the most logical choice and main baddie of the franchise.

Banjo-Kazooie is more of a stretch and it takes 2 to tango, Plus we kind of have Minecraft standing in our way which both parties would likely want to promote more, I'm still holding out hope, But I would be lying if my optimism didn't take quite a hit.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't remember him saying Ridley would never be playable, just that it would be difficult. And what Ridley has going for him that Banjo doesn't, is that Ridley was already in every single Smash Bros in one form or another, and Sakurai was actually willing to talk about him.

Banjo has never even been brought up outside of being mentioned as a candidate for Melee.
EDIT: And now I can't even find a source for them being mentioned for Melee. This is either some Mandela effect thing or widespread false info.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If Cloud can get in, Banjo can (hopefully) get in.
That's kind of true, But It's kind of annoying when people bring up Cloud because he was never impossible, He's not a 1st party character to Sony, He's 3rd party character for the final fantasy franchise which is from square enix who is a 3rd party company who has had ties with all major console manufacturers including Nintendo, He's not representing Sony, He's representing Square enix and FF as a whole, I don't play or care about FF, But from what I'm aware of he's the most popular and logical choice from the most popular and biggest game in the franchise, His game just so happened to be only for the Playstation.

That would be like saying if any of the characters in the Sonic games exclusive for Nintendo consoles the past several years couldn't appear on Playstation or Xbox just because of exclusivity even though Sonic and Sega are 3rd Party.

Banjo-Kazooie is in a very unique situation unlike all the other guest characters, He's a 1st party character for a "Rival" which is more of a reach than any other 3rd Party character and I would imagine it would take more hoops to jump through, Not impossible ,But since Banjo-Kazooie has origins with Nintendo and Phil Spencer's is cool with it all we can do is hope for the best.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
One thing I can say about this is that Banjo-Kazooie is the most prominent IP owned by a direct hardware competitor that used to be owned by Nintendo (other Rare IPs being the other ones, basically), so to me Banjo deserves to be the first IP in Smash that's owned by a platform holder not named Nintendo.

If Minecraft does appear in Smash regardless of its extent, I'm willing to bet there's gonna be a lot of noise from Banjo fans- whether the bear and bird make it in later or not.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Minecraft making it in might not be a bad thing for Banjo though, it at least shows that Microsoft is willing to work with Nintendo on something. I think once they see how much DLC they'll sell (let's be real, tons of people are going to buy it regardless of what characters make it in), they'll probably want in on it again.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
People seem to think it would be a bad business move for Nintendo to allow the bear and bird in smash since they belong to their competitors, but on the contrary I think it would be a wise decision on Nintendo's part. Not only would you get Banjo fans and other people who buy dlc regardless purchase the character who have Ultimate, but you'd probably attract other Banjo fans who don't have smash or possibly even a switch to go and purchase one as well as the game. I think people underestimate how beloved Banjo and Kazooie are as characters.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
People seem to think it would be a bad business move for Nintendo to allow the bear and bird in smash since they belong to their competitors, but on the contrary I think it would be a wise decision on Nintendo's part. Not only would you get Banjo fans and other people who buy dlc regardless purchase the character who have Ultimate, but you'd probably attract other Banjo fans who don't have smash or possibly even a switch to go and purchase one as well as the game. I think people underestimate how beloved Banjo and Kazooie are as characters.
I really hope that Nintendo and Microsoft look at it this way as opposed to "Oh, Minecraft, this is popular, let's put it in Smash.", and push Banjo to the side. Don't get me wrong, Minecraft could possibly do the same to attract a younger / Minecraft audience, but I feel that people that grew up with Banjo probably grew up with Smash as well, whereas Minecrafters might not play the same genre.

Guess we'll find out. Eventually.

The wait is hard.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Just playing devil's advocate here ,But most Banjo-Kazooie fans are big Nintendo fans (There's a ton of overlap for both)who grew up with the franchise on the N64 who likely already have Switch's planning to get Ultimate that's why their one of the most heavily requested newcomers right now, Banjo-Kazooie is irrelevant to the Xbox brand and likely doesn't have a big draw there since it's a different demographic and Microsoft rarely utilizes the IP, So I doubt a lot of people from that platform flock over to Nintendo for Banjo-Kazooie's Smash debut.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Banjo still has a decent shot, thing two big thing going for him and her is they have not been deconfirmed (no AT treatment and no one of importance denying them on Twitter) and they are one of the most if not the most popular character left not to be deconfirmed

Rigumaro

Smash Apprentice
I don't think Nintendo would benefit much, if at all, from adding Banjo&Kazooie over Steve.

I just did a test. Went to twitch. Banjo&Kazooie: 3 people streaming to a total of 23 spectators. Minecraft, on the other hand, has 4142 spectators. If we take this example, Steve looks 180 times more profitable than Banjo as DLC purchases. On top of that, Smash fans who'd end up enjoying Steve might end up picking Minecraft on the Switch. Smash fans who'd end up enjoying Banjo would pick up their game on a different platform.

Microsoft might be the only one who'd benefit a little. Minecraft doesn't need any more advertising. Banjo & Kazooie could really use more popularity, but then again, it's a very old IP who doesn't seem to be of taste of the average Microsoft target demographic, so they may not see any point in promoting it either way.

I don't want to be a downer but it makes me sad seeing people do all sort of mental gymnastics to trick themselves into believing there's reasons of why it'd make sense to add them. If Sakurai chose the DLC characters, there could be a chance, because he could do it as a gift to the fans (I mean, he literally added Snake back in Brawl, with how unthinkable it was back then, just because he was Kojima's friend). Now that Nintendo chose the DLC, there's no way it's gonna happen. They wouldn't gain anything from it. And remember, they are a business after all.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm under no delusions that Banjo has a very slim chance compared to his competition. I honestly lost most of my optimism with Isabelle, the final direct killed most of what was left, and then the announcement that Nintendo is choosing the DLC killed the last of it. But I'm still going to make noise about wanting Banjo, and hope that the buzz has literally any effect at all for the next game or a potential wave 2 of Smash Ultimate DLC... Assuming a miracle doesn't happen and Banjo gets into Ultimate anyway.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
John Dylan Smith is just here to cause trouble. Do not accept him as a supporter. Do not allow him to feel welcome in this thread.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I like the Piranha Plant, no hate there.

Who knows, maybe Nintendo will choose a couple characters from the previous ballot and we'll get surprised. I don't think they'll ever release the official results, but I wouldn't be surprised if BK was somewhere up there. Definitely above Steve.

But yeah, Nintendo's a business afterall, so it does make sense to choose any number of other characters over them.

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Looks like he really just doesn't like the Piranha Plant and a couple of the more clone like characters. He is a bit vocal and a bit spammy in getting that message across, but he seems harmless. Not everyone has to agree with the character choices in the game, but for me personally Ultimate is uncontestedly looking like the best Smash ever, by a long shot. Again though, an opinion. *shrug*

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, at this point, them still having ANY chance of being DLC (however slim it may be) is better than having no chance at all.

Also, in response to that one guy people are calling a nuisance, both the game and Piranha Plant look amazing, and I'm excited to play both of them!

Last edited:

CoinedLuck

Smash Cadet
I'm hoping for some quality DLC, but I also should not put my expectations up high. If Banjo makes it in, I'll flip, but Steve is a weird one. It seems sort of likely because Vergeben keeps insisting it and Minecraft is very popular, but I have my doubts. Minecraft is drastically less popular than it was a couple years ago, and plus, I just can't fathom how they would make him work. His design seems so off for a game in which, presumably, characters have a lot of (muscle) movement. Also, Steve isn't really an interesting character, seeing as he has no real personality and seems just like a generic placeholder for a game that is all about the experience and not the protagonist's character.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I’m hopeful for Banjo-Kazooie simply because of this one question.

Who’s left to put in that isn’t already deconfirmed?

If (and I mean IF) assist trophies, Mii Fighter costumes and spirits deconfirm characters, then who’s left to put in? Who could Nintendo realistically put in that would both please fans and sell well?

dlewis53

Smash Lord
User was warned for this post; double posting
I'm hoping for some quality DLC, but I also should not put my expectations up high. If Banjo makes it in, I'll flip, but Steve is a weird one. It seems sort of likely because Vergeben keeps insisting it and Minecraft is very popular, but I have my doubts. Minecraft is drastically less popular than it was a couple years ago, and plus, I just can't fathom how they would make him work. His design seems so off for a game in which, presumably, characters have a lot of (muscle) movement. Also, Steve isn't really an interesting character, seeing as he has no real personality and seems just like a generic placeholder for a game that is all about the experience and not the protagonist's character.
To be fair, Vergeben didn't specifically say that Steve was in, just that there is supposedly Minecraft content of some sort in the game.

I’m hopeful for Banjo-Kazooie simply because of this one question.

Who’s left to put in that isn’t already deconfirmed?

If (and I mean IF) assist trophies, Mii Fighter costumes and spirits deconfirm characters, then who’s left to put in? Who could Nintendo realistically put in that would both please fans and sell well?
Personally, I don't believe that Spirits deconfirm characters considering they're Ultimate's stand-in for Trophies, which didn't stop Mewtwo and Lucas from being DLC in Smash 4. Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes, on the other hand, definitely feel like deconfirmation (once again, my deepest sympathies towards the Isaac supporters).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Personally, I don't believe that Spirits deconfirm characters considering they're Ultimate's stand-in for Trophies, which didn't stop Mewtwo and Lucas from being DLC in Smash 4. Assist Trophies and Mii Costumes, on the other hand, definitely feel like deconfirmation (once again, my deepest sympathies towards the Isaac supporters).
While I think Spirits isn't a death sentence like Assist Trophy's, I certainly think it significantly lowers their chances from becoming one and When people bring up Mewtwo and Lucas for Smash Wii U and how their trophies existed before they arrived for DLC they seem to forget that unlike other trophies they were fighters in previous installments in the series, Mewtwo (Melee) Lucas (Brawl), Just an important fact that should be brought up.

Last edited:

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
The worst part about Isaac and Shadow is that they waited so long to show them and people got their hopes up. =/

I think Sakurai could make Steve work should it come to it, but I'm with you in thinking he just wouldn't feel right. I'm honestly not against the idea though, he seems like he could be neat if done right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom