• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

cybersai

Smash Ace
Diddy Kong Racing is almost unplayable without using Diddy, Tip Tup, Timber, etc.

Klunk is just a loss in every race.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I can't handle Banjo's awful handling. So I usually gravitate to Tiptup as well. TBH I can't really stand to play as anyone other that Tiptup... Maybe Pipsy. At least that's technically one BK character I can play as ( though he sure does seem different in the BK games... not to mention massive. )
Yeah, I never really liked the high speed/low acceleration/poor handling archetype in racing games with the exception of ROB in Mario Kart DS. In the hands of an expert (or hard AI), however, those kinds of characters are frustratingly difficult to beat. You have to rely on items to win, or hope they mess up.

Also it's kind of a slap in the face that Banjo is outclassed by Drumstick, whose acceleration is 3, while Banjo's is only 2. They have the same stats otherwise. And then both of them outclass Krunch, whose acceleration is 1. Poor Krunch.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The way I see it with Rare's 3D Platformers on Collectibles:

Banjo-Kazooie: Just right

Donkey Kong 64: Overkill

Banjo-Tooie: If I remember correctly less than DK 64, But slightly more than Kazooie.

Conker's Bad Bad Fur Day: Not enough ,But that was by design and because their was more focus on action and less on collecting to appeal to a more mature demographic.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Tooie isnt a bad game, iys pretty damn good actually in fact I think it beats Kazooie in the charm and character department a thousand tunes over, but its flaws lie with things getting pretty overwhelming when it comes to collectibles. Neve ron DK64 levels, but its quite time consuming fo backtrack to each level with every move, trying to find stuff for Mumbo to do, etc, really cuts down the pace compared to the simplicity level by level structure of Kazooie. Framerates are also choppy on N64 but thsi isnt an issue on Xbox 360 or Rare Replay.

Oh, and Tooie has Canary Mary.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
The way I see it with Rare's 3D Platformers on Collectibles:

Banjo-Kazooie: Just right

Donkey Kong 64: Overkill

Banjo-Tooie: If I remember correctly less than DK 64, But slightly more than Kazooie.

Conker's Bad Bad Fur Day: Not enough ,But that was by design and because their was more focus on action and less on collecting to appeal to a more mature demographic.
The problem with DK64 isn't the number of collectibles, at least in my opinion, the problem is that those collectibles are locked behind which character you are playing as, the number of characters, and how you need to find those save barrels to switch characters.

Granted, Banjo Tooie has three playable characters as well, but you could still pick up any collectible you can touch as any character. They don't suddenly go intangible just because you're Mumbo, or Kazooie alone.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I would give an assessment of Tooie but I don't own the game and I haven't played it yet. If it helps, it was very well-received by critics, which is rare (lol) for sequels since they always have to fulfill the "needs to be different, but also the same" paradox.

I'm curious: how do you all feel about Banjo's viability in Diddy Kong Racing? I'm a Tiptup main, but when I watch Diddy Kong Racing speedruns, the character of choice seems to be Banjo because of his high top speed. I also really like the banjo that gets added to the character select screen when hovering over him.
As a kid, I never even thought there was a difference between the characters and just picked who I liked, which changed all the time (and so frustrated I could never figure out how to get Drumstick and TT). I think I recall playing Diddy, Banjo, and Timber quite a bit. But it was before I had played Banjo & Kazooie and fell in love with the characters. I think there was even I time I didn't realized Banjo was in Diddy Kong Racing and never made the connection. :rotfl:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
The problem with DK64 isn't the number of collectibles, at least in my opinion, the problem is that those collectibles are locked behind which character you are playing as, the number of characters, and how you need to find those save barrels to switch characters.

Granted, Banjo Tooie has three playable characters as well, but you could still pick up any collectible you can touch as any character. They don't suddenly go intangible just because you're Mumbo, or Kazooie alone.
Yeah I loved the idea of all 5 characters, Chunky Kong (This Kong's one HELL of a guy !!!)was a personal favorite of mine, It just could of been executed better, While items locked to a character was problematic, The game did really have a ton of collectibles, I'm sure if they weren't character locked it would have been more bearable, But if I recall correctly it had significantly more than Banjo-Kazooie and decently more than Tooie.

With that being said, I love all of Rare's Platformers and I still love Donkey Kong 64 and while somewhat of a misstep, It's still a good solid game. I'm still proud to have that yellow cartridge next to Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day in my collection.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, DK64's collectible count is fine, I think a lot of people misremember that game. The problem, if anything, is definitely the way tag barrels work. If there's ever a remake I hope switching can be automatic (and to prevent this from breaking the game, disabled in certain zones). But of course that wasn't possible back then due to hardware restrictions.

On the point of leaks, I would rather Banjo be leaked and in the game, than be not in the game and we find out the hard way. A leak would be disappointing and hype-cancelling but it would also, ultimately, mean the character is in. I do agree that in a perfect world they're both in the game and not leaked.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Something I have been thinking about...I do truly believe Minecraft is going to be represented in some fashion.
I truly doubt Steve is base roster. I am, and have always, leaning towards a stage.
So now my question is how would that stage function? As in Static, moves around, etc.
Minecraft is all about building and I think it would be neat to have the stage being built as you are fighting.

And one of the things that came to mind was this...what if it transforms into Spiral Mountain?
Like as you play, in the background the scenery changes and it starts like a default village and then becomes a Banjo Represented Stage?

I could honestly see that happening and I feel that would be a neat stage.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I would much rather a Banjo stage stand alone as it's own thing as opposed to being a part of a Minecraft stage.
But I do think a Minecraft level that transforms into recreations of famous video game locales would be a neat idea.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Something I have been thinking about...I do truly believe Minecraft is going to be represented in some fashion.
I truly doubt Steve is base roster. I am, and have always, leaning towards a stage.
So now my question is how would that stage function? As in Static, moves around, etc.
Minecraft is all about building and I think it would be neat to have the stage being built as you are fighting.

And one of the things that came to mind was this...what if it transforms into Spiral Mountain?
Like as you play, in the background the scenery changes and it starts like a default village and then becomes a Banjo Represented Stage?

I could honestly see that happening and I feel that would be a neat stage.
Yeah it's gonna be either stage or AT (or hell even both). Not playable character at all, that's for sure.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Just started a new file on Banjo-Kazooie on the good ole' N64. Ahh the memories...
Nice, I'm going to start Banjo-Kazooie next monday and after that play through Banjo-Tooie both on the N64, But Haven't played them in a while especially Tooie, But in celebration of their 20th Anniversary and trying to build myself more hype for Super Smash Bros Ultimate, I'm looking forward to beating both games.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Just started a new file on Banjo-Kazooie on the good ole' N64. Ahh the memories...
My n64 died a couple of years ago, just stopped reading games and of course the analog sticks were dead from all the Mario Party abuse. I'm just waiting for the n64 classic now. I hope that they fix the analog sticks so they can't die as easily and that Rare will bring some of there games over to it.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I just finished both BK games just a few short months ago and I'm already itching to dive back in. If Banjo does end up getting announced, I'm definitely going to do it all over again.

My n64 died a couple of years ago, just stopped reading games and of course the analog sticks were dead from all the Mario Party abuse. I'm just waiting for the n64 classic now. I hope that they fix the analog sticks so they can't die as easily and that Rare will bring some of there games over to it.
In the event that an N64 Classic takes too long or ( heaven forbid ) doesn't have the Rareware games, do yourself a favor and pick up a used/refurbished N64, and an Everdrive 64 ( while N64 roms are still possible to find ), that's what I did and having the whole library available to me and running perfectly after all these years missing out on the Rare games feels awesome.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
In the event that an N64 Classic takes too long or ( heaven forbid ) doesn't have the Rareware games, do yourself a favor and pick up a used/refurbished N64, and an Everdrive 64 ( while N64 roms are still possible to find ), that's what I did and having the whole library available to me and running perfectly after all these years missing out on the Rare games feels awesome
I'm sure like the NES and SNES classic someone will find a way to hack it and put other games on there so I'll probably do that if Rare games aren't on it.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm sure like the NES and SNES classic someone will find a way to hack it and put other games on there so I'll probably do that if Rare games aren't on it.
I hope you're right about that, I may have an everdrive, but I think I'd rather have a much more compact classic edition with a very pretty UI. I just don't have a lot of faith in added games running very well since N64 emulation is notoriously finicky.

PurpleStrings16

Smash Cadet
One question guys:
I played and finished Banjo Kazooie and i plan to play Banjo Tooie. I heard many people saying "Banjo Kazooie is an absolute classic but Banjo Tooie sucks". Why is there many people who hate this game ? Is it that different to the first one ?
I think they’re both amazing.
Personally, I’ve heard people liked the first one more than the second, but I haven’t heard much hate for Tooie.
Those people may be referring to the change in tone between the games. Banjo-Kazooie is a colorful game with very contrasting worlds and it is relatively harmless in story.
Tooie is actually kind of dark, and the worlds in that game are less colorful and harder to tell apart. I personally love them, but I acknowledge the first game is far easier on the eyes. Tooie also has really confusing and oversized levels compared to the first game.
Banjo-Tooie is a really good game though, just expect it to take longer than the first game as a lot of the jiggies require that you backtrack.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One note about DK64--I had never been able to play it as a kid. Wouldn't work without the Expansion Pak, and it had always mesmerized with with its yellow color, despite being unable to play it. As such, I don't have the nostalgic memories of DK64. In an alternate universe, I'd be more excited about King K Rool being in than Banjo & Kazooie. And despite that, seeing King K Rool's final Smash gave me such Rare vibes, it was like being nostalgic for a game I never played.

Let's hope they both make it in together this time. :upsidedown:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not too surprising, But remember when Sakurai said to "Not to expect to many newcomers"?

Were coming down to the wire, But I am still expecting 2-4 newcomers left until launch, Still don't see a Smash direct coming in October, Likely a big final direct in November.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/
Okay, if nothing happens in early October, I don't think it'll do much good to keep hanging out in this forum, so I would see you guys again on November.

Granted, it still beats waiting for anything to happen with Kickstarter projects and big fangames.

CantGetRidOfTheRidley

Smash Apprentice
The fact he's saying that with Minecon coming up soon is a good thing. It means Steve is less likely to get announced there. And if he's less likely to get announced there, he's less likely to get announced at all. I'm still not going to feel completely fine though until September 29 comes and goes. Personally I think 2-3 are all the newcomers left. Unique that is.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Not too surprising, But remember when Sakurai said to "Not to expect too many newcomers"?

Were coming down to the wire, But I am still expecting 2-4 newcomers left until launch, Still don't see a Smash direct coming in October, Likely a big final direct in November.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/2...ltimate-character-announcements-to-slow-down/
Makes me worried about Banjo-Kazooie's chances in the base game, but hopefully they'll be first among the DLC announced.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though I honestly doubt it, There's still a chance for Banjo-Kazooie/ Rare content to be unveiled in November.

For those of you who don't know what this is about, It's pretty much another Microsoft E3 style conference or similar to what Nintendo used to do with Spaceworld back in the late 90's/2000, Microsoft used to do these event back then during the Xbox/Early Xbox 360 era and is bringing it back, This event was known for major Xbox announcements and unfortunate ones such as...

X02: Microsoft's announcement of acquiring Rare in 2002.

X06: Rare unveils a teaser trailer for what looks to be Banjo-Threeie only for it to become Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts in 2006.

Microsoft X018 Event:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/09/25/announcing-x018-a-global-celebration-of-all-things-xbox/

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Though I honestly doubt it, There's still a chance for Banjo-Kazooie/ Rare content to be unveiled in November.

For those of you who don't know what this is about, It's pretty much another Microsoft E3 style conference or similar to what Nintendo used to do with Spaceworld back in the late 90's/2000, Microsoft used to do these event back then during the Xbox/Early Xbox 360 era and is bringing it back, This event was known for major Xbox announcements and unfortunate ones such as...

X06: Rare unveils a teaser trailer for what looks to be Banjo-Threeie only for it to become Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts in 2006.

Microsoft X018 Event:
https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/09/25/announcing-x018-a-global-celebration-of-all-things-xbox/
I believe if Banjo-Kazooie are in the game, they will get announced at the end in the last Smash Direct before the game comes out.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman

Microsoft X018 Event:
This sounds so plausible but I don't want to believe after the last year or two of xbox announcing disapointments

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Not too surprising, But remember when Sakurai said to "Not to expect too many newcomers"?

Realistic= we probably won’t get many more characters. Crazy Thought(I want to be real myself)=What if he’s just trying to lower our expectations so before release he just puts out a crazy Direct packed with new characters that will be at release. Just so he can watch our hearts full with joy. This game has literally not already meet expectations but has broke them. Why slow the train down now. ( posted this same response over in the Banjo discord)

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Lately we have been destroying other newcomers on polls for Most Wanted Character or Most Wanted 3rd Party here on SmashBoards. But there's a big one on the Super Smash Bros Reddit that's pitting newcomers against each other in a tournament style bracket, Banjo-Kazooie is up against Isaac in Round 4, Let's show our everyone on Reddit how serious we are and get our Bear and Bird into the next round in the Semifinals !!!

https://smashpoll.uk/996291

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

This is exactly what I was expecting and the main reason why I didn't buy into the blog theory at all.
I've lost my hope for Banjo in the Base game, since the last few newcomers seem obvious to me, but I'm still going to hold on to hope for DLC.

Funktastic

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DaftBunk
Switch FC
SW 4808 1853 3785
I voted for Isaac-- but only because I know Banjo will crush him. I think it's going to end up being Banjo v. Sora for the Semi's.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I hope to god they say that they're starting to plan DLC in the final announcement before release. I would hate to see everyone's spirits being crushed if that doesn't get mentioned (especially if frigging Steve crops up).

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I hope to god they say that they're starting to plan DLC in the final announcement before release. I would hate to see everyone's spirits being crushed if that doesn't get mentioned (especially if frigging Steve crops up).
That'd be a heck of a double-edged sword though. It simultaneously gives comfort to those that didn't get their faves into the base roster while also pissing them off by making them pay for their faves and wait longer for them instead of just having them at the start. Especially if Steve makes it in over Banjo.

Top Bottom