• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
FX chip games never came out on any version of VC. Not only did the SNES classic get SF1 & YI, but the never released SF2. That's hardly what I'd call playing it safe.
Yeah, But those are 1st Party titles and emulation or licensing problems wasn't holding them back, While Star Fox 2 certainly is a nice surprise the game was always finished, Nintendo just didn't decided to release it by choice because of the N64's anticipating release back then, Nintendo could of easily reach in their back pocket and rerelease Star Fox and Yoshi without any problems too since they own those IP's ,But for whatever reason never did kind of like how they took forever to rerelease any N64 titles during the Wii era and barely any on the Wii U , Nintendo clearly wanted all of their major 1st Party franchise's represented in the SNES Classic, That's why Mario has Super Mario World, Donkey Kong has Donkey Kong Country, Metroid has Super Metroid and etc, It was only natural that they were going to represent Star Fox which debut in that era and Yoshi's island which is the sequel to the highest selling game of their system.

As for the N64, Nintendo and Rareware did all the heavy lifting during that era with very little major 3rd Party support, With the inevitable release of the N64 Classic, No doubt that Nintendo is going to go with the usual route of like the SNES and have most of all their major franchises represented with at least 1 game each and that's expected and "Playing it Safe" since they can easily just rerelease all the 1st Party stuff on the Classic with no problem, If they really wanted to go all out, turn some heads and represent the N64 era as a whole they would go through the trouble of striking a deal with Microsoft and putting Rareware games on the N64 Classic, I can understand not snagging Goldeneye 007 since it's a licensing nightmare, But I don't see why they couldn't land Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Diddy Kong Racing and to lesser extent Perfect Dark as a replacement for Goldneye 007, Without a doubt it's very possible to release an N64 Classic without any Rareware games, Slap Mario on the front of the box with a price tag and call it a day, But that would be taking the easy way out and resulting with a neutered, decimated and less memorable lineup without them.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I

That would be awesome, But when it's time to unveil Banjo-Kazooie I want them to be revealed in a big way like the end of the final Smash direct before launch or at the Video Game Awards which is a day before Smash's release date, I want us to tease us with the Smash logo opening they use for every newcomer reveal and use the WARNING: Challenger Approaching !!!,Jiggy silhouette or a couple of strums of the Banjo something along the line of that, I want their hype to surpass all the other big reveals and show and prove everyone wrong that they were possible, I want jaws to drop and headlining game websites and Youtube videos. I will take them anyway be it base or DLC ,But I would absolutely love them be the final base character revealed and end the roster with a bang and once they are revealed in the giant poster at the end with all the other characters, I want it to show that saying one more time "Everyone is Here !!!"
I completely agree, good sir! I should rephrase, it would be awesome to have them announced in the most jaw-dropping reveal yet for Smash, and then go to sleep and wake up the next morning, thinking it was a dream, but go to the website and WHOA. They're in Smash! *Sigh*. I hope they make it this time around.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
There's a really cool remix of the final battle of Banjo-Kazooie on YouTube.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo Kazooie would be an excellent final reveal, but my problem is that if it doesnt happen, then all that waiting, hyping, and anticipatoin goes to nothing. It would be nice to have them revealed earlier and to not fear for the worst come December 6th.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo Kazooie would be an excellent final reveal, but my problem is that if it doesnt happen, then all that waiting, hyping, and anticipatoin goes to nothing. It would be nice to have them revealed earlier and to not fear for the worst come December 6th.
At least we will still have DLC to look forward to if that those happen speaking of which, If they don't make the base roster, I would at least love a teaser trailer for their inclusion as DLC at the Video Game Awards which is the day before Ultimate's release.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Yeah, it's why even though I was hesitant with leaks, I'm overly hoping for full roster leaks at this point--either give me relief or dash my dreams now, the uncertainty is what's killing me. I will say, if Banjo & Kazooie is not a character, and Minecraft is just a stage, I don't think the waiting and hyping was for nothing. Means we'll have to work harder for DLC. But if Sakurai prioritizes Steve over Banjo--I'm sorry if it sounds petty, but I'll just have to call it quits. At least with the former, it could have just been talks happened later in the development cycle, which is fine. If the latter, that's the biggest slap in the face to my childhood. Which is why I'd rather not have to consider the latter unless I have to.

On to something fun, let's enjoy Grant Kirkhope playing Banjo-Kazooie's theme.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
We are getting closer to seeing how that exclusive gamestop plush! I hope it's nice. The 20th anniversary is getting so much love lately.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
We are getting closer to seeing how that exclusive gamestop plush! I hope it's nice. The 20th anniversary is getting so much love lately.
It should be getting way more love than just some plush, two figurines, and a Sea of Thieves t-shirt, in my humble opinion. They should at least have had an announcement about a new game or remaster, and especially be included in Smash!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
It should be getting way more love than just some plush, two figurines, and a Sea of Thieves t-shirt, in my humble opinion. They should at least have had an announcement about a new game or remaster, and especially be included in Smash!
Indeed. A nice amiibo would go well with plush and figurines for their 20th anniversary. :upsidedown: And it would be the only reason to get me to buy amiibos, and I can't just get one--I'd have to get Mario, Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man as well. NINTENDO--TAKE MY MONEY!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I really want the plushie, I just hope they pull off the classic look of the duo and looks on par with Nintendo's line of pushies, I would hate for it to look off or cheaply made, The question is, I wonder who Microsoft contracted or partnered to produce them?

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Indeed. A nice amiibo would go well with plush and figurines for their 20th anniversary. :upsidedown: And it would be the only reason to get me to buy amiibos, and I can't just get one--I'd have to get Mario, Link, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac Man as well. NINTENDO--TAKE MY MONEY!
I currently have Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Bowser, Link (and several different Link amiibos for Breath of the Wild), King Dedede, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, & Ryu! If Banjo-Kazooie make it in, they'd be my prized amiibo.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
Agreed. And a special history/celebration video of Banjo-Kazooie would've been great for B-K and their fans. At least for the N64 and maybe the GBA games because I don't see anyone trying to celebrate the buy out and Nuts & Bolts.

Last edited:

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Banjo Kazooie would probably be the first amiibo I get 2 of. And I'll most likely getting the plush too lol. Anyways, I've seen a lot of people say that December 6th is a perfect date to reveal BK, since its the 20th anniversary in Japan and its also the Game Awards. The timing is perfect, but that will 99.9999% leak beforehand, since review copies will be out and some one will break NDA or some store out there is likely going to break the release date rule. They could theoretically make it so any Banjo Kazooie content is hidden in game until December 7th (release date), but even then dataminers exist. It's a high risk, but very, very high reward!

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo Kazooie would probably be the first amiibo I get 2 of. And I'll most likely getting the plush too lol. Anyways, I've seen a lot of people say that December 6th is a perfect date to reveal BK, since its the 20th anniversary in Japan and its also the Game Awards. The timing is perfect, but that will 99.9999% leak beforehand, since review copies will be out and some one will break NDA or some store out there is likely going to break the release date rule. They could theoretically make it so any Banjo Kazooie content is hidden in game until December 7th (release date), but even then dataminers exist. It's a high risk, but very, very high reward!
Indeed, I don't think anything in the base game would be revealed that close to launch--though, it should be noted that the exact phrasing Sakurai used was that they "plan to reveal the design of every fighter before the game launches." The phrasing leaves a lot of open questions. That being said, we could potentially see our first look at DLC at the Game Awards. LeakyPandy alluded to this, though I don't think they should be trusted given their track record. My personal feeling is that in general, announcements only rarely line up with anniversaries, as they would want to announce when it was most sensible marketing wise. But we could see, as has been done, a blog post of Banjo & Kazooie on December 6th as one of the final blog posts, as many blog posts have been featured on anniversaries. That would be amazing.

PhantomShab

Smash Lord
It really is weird how vocal Microsoft/Phil Spencer has been about being all for letting Banjo and Kazooie be in Smash Bros since the Smash 4 days, yet it just hasn't happened yet. I mean Nintendo even managed to work with modern day Konami of all things so negotiating on B&K should be easy in comparison.

PK-remling Fire

Smash Ace
It really is weird how vocal Microsoft/Phil Spencer has been about being all for letting Banjo and Kazooie be in Smash Bros since the Smash 4 days, yet it just hasn't happened yet. I mean Nintendo even managed to work with modern day Konami of all things so negotiating on B&K should be easy in comparison.
I think the ball's more in Nintendo's court than anything. It's not a question if Microsoft will let Nintendo use Banjo, it's if Nintendo thinks it's worth it to put Banjo in Smash.

Nameless Kot

Smash Apprentice
So a question for all of you.
What would you prefer:

Banjo-Kazooie leaked in a high quality way a la ESRB leak. We know they are in the base game and we can wait happily until the game releases.

Waiting until December 6th with no news, fake/true leaks, and against all odds, Banjo is revealed as the last character.

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
What would you prefer:

Banjo-Kazooie leaked in a high quality way a la ESRB leak. We know they are in the base game and we can wait happily until the game releases.

Waiting until December 6th with no news, fake/true leaks, and against all odds, Banjo is revealed as the last character.
I generally prefer to be surprised by official reveals rather than leaks, and for me personally, the agony of waiting for a character you want in Smash to be either confirmed or deconfirmed is well worth it if they ultimately get in, pun not intended.

So I'd take the December 6th announcement, whether or not it appeared at the Game Awards (not that I see either as likely, but that's just me). Seeing the ESRB leak for Smash 4 that confirmed the likes of Shulk and Bowser Jr. was cool, but kind of dampened the excitement for me once the shock was over.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
What would you prefer:

I just want confirmation on whether or not they're in the base game or even that they're coming as DLC. I'd prefer an official reveal, but I'd be ecstatic at a true leak reveal. As long as they make it in. They're truly the only newcomers I desperately want in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
What would you prefer:

While I'd like some confirmation that Banjo is coming for sure before hand with a high quality leak the hype that would happen if Banjo is the last character announced would be unparalleled

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
What would you prefer:

I normally would prefer surprises, something video games have been failing to have in this age of fifty pre-release trailers, gameplay showcases, and analysis videos... but for Smash I make the exception. The only thing I want to be kept a surprise is their introduction video and the music.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I would happily wait for December 6th for B-K's official reveal than to have a leak. A leak would ruin a special moment, and if this character is in, its reveal would be more special than any other newcomer just for the reunion it would represent.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I would rather wait and find out until launch, While it has been a grind and an excruciating wait of uncertainty, If Banjo-Kazooie does make it at the end it's gonna make it that much more special, While King K. Rool was likely the most heavily requested newcomer in Ultimate and he wasn't completely out of left field, everyone was still surprised to see him because he wasn't leaked. I want Banjo-Kazooie to be on the same level, maybe even surpass that, It's like getting Christmas present having to wait until Christmas to find out what you got, part of the fun is the wait and speculation, Knowing months in advance will take some of the luster of the feeling of what you got. While I would still be happy with a leak that confirms their confirmation, I will still be kind of disappointed that Ultimate's biggest surprise got spoiled.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
What would you prefer:

That's a toughy--in both cases Banjo & Kazooie would inevitably be revealed, but I'd have to go through months of agonizing uncertainty for the latter. That being said, had the Steve rumors not come out, I would have said wait until December 6th for optimal surprise. My reaction would be "Yay I'm so excited!" At this point, with recent rumors, my reaction would be "Oh thank goodness, we avoided a train wreck." It's the problem with lowering expectations that nobody ever considers, particularly Box Theorists trying to save everyone from disappointment. If your expectations are too low, rather than being optimally happy, it's a more subdued relief. It's like pouring the same amount of water into a bigger glass, it doesn't seem as nourishing as being poured in a smaller glass.

So, at this point, I'd go for the high quality leak.

squirtgar

Smash Apprentice
That's a toughy--in both cases Banjo & Kazooie would inevitably be revealed, but I'd have to go through months of agonizing uncertainty for the latter. That being said, had the Steve rumors not come out, I would have said wait until December 6th for optimal surprise. My reaction would be "Yay I'm so excited!" At this point, with recent rumors, my reaction would be "Oh thank goodness, we avoided a train wreck." It's the problem with lowering expectations that nobody ever considers, particularly Box Theorists trying to save everyone from disappointment. If your expectations are too low, rather than being optimally happy, it's a more subdued relief. It's like pouring the same amount of water into a bigger glass, it doesn't seem as nourishing as being poured in a smaller glass.

So, at this point, I'd go for the high quality leak.
I completely agree I would normally like to have him announced really close to launch but with all the Steve stuff (all of them seem fake to me but still make me nervous) I would rather not have lingering stress of thinking that maybe nintendo went with a ridiculous character instead of one of the top voted ones.

Klimax

Smash Ace
One question guys:
I played and finished Banjo Kazooie and i plan to play Banjo Tooie. I heard many people saying "Banjo Kazooie is an absolute classic but Banjo Tooie sucks". Why is there many people who hate this game ? Is it that different to the first one ?

Talazar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Talazar_Dashie
3DS FC
1461-6194-5821
One question guys:
I played and finished Banjo Kazooie and i plan to play Banjo Tooie. I heard many people saying "Banjo Kazooie is an absolute classic but Banjo Tooie sucks". Why is there many people who hate this game ? Is it that different to the first one ?
Most people complain about how the worlds can be too big. Also when it comes to getting some Jiggies it requires you to backtrack because a lot of the worlds are connected to each other. And if you are playing the N64 version the framerate can suffer at times because of the sheer scope of the game (don't know if this is true with the xbox version). It really isn't as big of a deal as people are making it out to be though, if you enjoyed the first one you'll enjoy Tooie.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
One question guys:
I guess those people hate that they can't get all the jiggies in each level in one swoop? And maybe the size of each level is a bit much. Grunty Industries and Jolly Roger Lagoon in particular is kind of a nightmare to navigate. They also take away one of the most memorable things about Gruntilda ( though she's still as entertaining as ever imo).
Personally I prefer Tooie. But I can see how the average player would probably prefer BK.
Now DK 64, there's a game I agree with the majority on.

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
For Banjo Tooie I disliked that there was a less emphasis on collectables than in DK64 and Banjo Kazooie, that just defeats the purpose of the genre, in my opinion.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
One question guys:
Those people are likely a small minority, I can assure you most people love Tooie, People who say it sucks about it complain of the size and backtracking which I can kind of understand, But if you ask me it just gives me more to do and if it's still overwhelming for you, You don't need to collect everything to beat the game.

Banjo-Tooie builds off of the first game and while I love both, Tooie has bigger worlds, More moves, Actual bosses, While not that deep the story is better, It dials back the collecting compared to Donkey Kong 64 which I still like and think it's a solid game ,But the overcollecting criticism is justified, It's the 3rd game Nuts & Bolts that was very controversial while I'm sure it's not a bad game, But as a game with the Banjo-Kazooie IP slapped on it's bad and practically abandons everything everyone loved about the first 2 games, Long story short, if you love Banjo-Kazooie theres a very good chance you'll love Banjo-Tooie.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
One question guys:
I do believe Banjo-Kazooie is a classic, but feel like Banjo-Tooie was a worthy successor. The best part is you start where you left off from the previous game, with all the moves, and you continue to progress more and learn more interesting and elaborate moves as you go along. The worlds are bigger, but I like that--it's more game for my buck, and they're still densely rich in platforming fun, whereas sometimes bigger worlds can come across as more barren (like certain worlds in Yooka Laylee). I also like the interconnected worlds, and while it can be laborious backtracking it also feels like a more cohesive game, and it's nice to experience previous worlds from a new perspective. I think the only real problems I had with Tooie were the cutscenes went on a bit too long before the actual game starts proper (whereas in Banjo-Kazooie, if you know what you're doing, you can get straight to the point), it could be a bit more confusing at times, and the ending was a bit more anti-climatic. But I still feel like it's a really great game, and not many franchises can claim to have both the original and the sequel being considered financial and critical successes.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
One question guys:
Tooie is great. I don't know how others feel about this, but I always felt the Banjo games favored exploration over actual platforming. Not saying the platforming is bad, goodness no. It's just that Tooie doubles down on the exploration element of the series, which is for some reason bad for some people. I never understood it. It's like complaining about GTA or Skyrim for having a big open world to explore.

I feel both blessed and cursed for loving the Banjo series (including DK64, Nuts n Bolts, and even Yooka Laylee as problematic as they may seem). No series that I have been a part of gets as much crap and vitriol than RARE's collectathons do, inside and outside the internet. So much so that I have been either bullied or teased for liking them. Of course, I try not to let that crap get me down, but at a certain point, I have completely stopped talking about them and games in general to my friends just out of fear it will lead down that path. It sucks, to say the least.

It's quite a blessing in disguise, though. I haven't been playing games as much as I used to now, and I can now focus on my other creative hobbies which I hope I can share with the world soon.

Blue Ninjakoopa

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlueNinjakoopa
3DS FC
3265-5187-8163
I would give an assessment of Tooie but I don't own the game and I haven't played it yet. If it helps, it was very well-received by critics, which is rare (lol) for sequels since they always have to fulfill the "needs to be different, but also the same" paradox.

I'm curious: how do you all feel about Banjo's viability in Diddy Kong Racing? I'm a Tiptup main, but when I watch Diddy Kong Racing speedruns, the character of choice seems to be Banjo because of his high top speed. I also really like the banjo that gets added to the character select screen when hovering over him.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm curious: how do you all feel about Banjo's viability in Diddy Kong Racing? I'm a Tiptup main, but when I watch Diddy Kong Racing speedruns, the character of choice seems to be Banjo because of his high top speed. I also really like the banjo that gets added to the character select screen when hovering over him.
I can't handle Banjo's awful handling. So I usually gravitate to Tiptup as well. TBH I can't really stand to play as anyone other that Tiptup... Maybe Pipsy. At least that's technically one BK character I can play as ( though he sure does seem different in the BK games... not to mention massive. )

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I can't handle Banjo's awful handling. So I usually gravitate to Tiptup as well. TBH I can't really stand to play as anyone other that Tiptup... Maybe Pipsy. At least that's technically one BK character I can play as ( though he sure does seem different in the BK games... not to mention massive. )
Heh... Pipsy's my favorite, to be honest.

Top Bottom