• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
If Nintendo would be willing to buy Banjo & Kazooie why wouldn't they buy Geno? It'd make more sense (as far as I know) Square Enix can't use Geno so why not sell him to Nintendo?

Microsoft can still use Banjo & Kazooie. I doubt they'd be willing to sell. It just seems like wishful thinking.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
In the eyes of MS, it would be better to keep the series shelved and have the possibility of using it later than sell it to another company to profit off of it. If Banjo ever did go for sale, I'm sure a good chunk of people at both NoA and NoE would be interested as Banjo was a pretty big deal back then in those regions, but I'm not sure if NoJ would care. They had the chance to buy them back in 2002, but they didn't, and why they didn't is still a mystery to this day. It would be a dream come true if Banjo came back into the spotlight, though!

SoccerStar9001

Smash Lord
Nintendo already have loads of IP to take care of and the talents at Rare are mostly gone already. I don't really see Nintendo getting Banjo and Kazooie tbh.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
If Nintendo would be willing to buy Banjo & Kazooie why wouldn't they buy Geno? It'd make more sense (as far as I know) Square Enix can't use Geno so why not sell him to Nintendo?

Microsoft can still use Banjo & Kazooie. I doubt they'd be willing to sell. It just seems like wishful thinking.
They already have the 3D collectathon genre done on Switch with Mario Odyssey, in Nintendo's eyes it wouldn't be worth the money

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I wish these characters had gotten in during the Melee days. They fit all the criteria for a Smash character, it’s just their ownership holding them back. Regardless you have my support.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Excuse this potentially stupid question, but how likely or feasible is it for Nintendo to buy Banjo & Kazooie back?
It really not that common for game companies to buy up IP direct. Generally if they do it's because a company gets absorbed into a larger one or the company that original owned the IP goes bankrupt because usually the sale of such a thing is very complicated and probably extremely expensive otherwise. There is really no good reason for Microsoft to want to sell the IP even if they aren't using it directly, it still holds value as a recognized property.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It really saddens me that Banjo-Kazooie are in the position they're in. They were Nintendo classics that got sent away with Rare and after one game they've been shuttled into video game storage for what seems to be forever. I want them to be in Smash if only to see them make a comeback. If Spyro and Crash and even f****** Bubsy can make a comeback, why can't they? And Yooka-Laylee does not count, it was a fine game, but it sucks that they seem to be the replacement to them. And I don't want a replacement. I want Banjo-Kazooie.

StormC

Smash Hero
In the eyes of MS, it would be better to keep the series shelved and have the possibility of using it later than sell it to another company to profit off of it. If Banjo ever did go for sale, I'm sure a good chunk of people at both NoA and NoE would be interested as Banjo was a pretty big deal back then in those regions, but I'm not sure if NoJ would care. They had the chance to buy them back in 2002, but they didn't, and why they didn't is still a mystery to this day. It would be a dream come true if Banjo came back into the spotlight, though!
Nintendo was having problems with Rare for several years so they probably saw it as more trouble than it was worth to buy them back.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Nintendo was having problems with Rare for several years so they probably saw it as more trouble than it was worth to buy them back.
This basically. Corporate politics can be messy, complicated, and has a bad tendency to be heavily underestimated by the general public.

StormC

Smash Hero
Fun fact: Rare has been with Microsoft roughly twice as long as the time Rare worked with Nintendo starting with DKC.

Morbi

Scavenger
I honestly would not be surprised if Microsoft did put Banjo back into circulation, they are getting creamed in the first-party department and they have an IP that is relatively successful, they just might be desperate enough to.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Not to mention that the Rare games for Nintendo consoles were objectively some of the best the company had to offer. Donkey Kong Countries 1, 2, & 3, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, and, of course, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, among others. Rare just had Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kinect Sports, and Sea of Thieves, recently, which I heard was only okay.

Last edited:

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Not to mention that the Rare games for Nintendo consoles were objectively some of the best the company had to offer. Donkey Kong Countries 1, 2, & 3, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, Killer Instinct, and, of course, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, among others. Rare just had Viva Pinata, Grabbed by the Ghoulies, Kinect Sports, and Sea of Thieves, recently, which I heard was only okay.
From what I understand most of the company has completely changed since being purchased by Microsoft I don't even think those responsible for those games have been with the company for years.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
From what I understand most of the company has completely changed since being purchased by Microsoft I don't even think those responsible for those games have been with the company for years.
A real shame too, those people knew how to make fun and memorable games. Hopefully someone can pick up Banjo-Kazooie and make them something special again. I can't be the only one who wants a true Banjo-Kazooie game once again. Either a new game or a slot in Smash Bros. That's all I'm asking! Favorite video game characters of all time.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I’d like to think Microsoft would allow Banjo to be on the N64 Mini and Smash

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
It is Banjo and Kazooie's day in RTC, come by and show your support.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I’d like to think Microsoft would allow Banjo to be on the N64 Mini and Smash
If they managed to put Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie on the N64 Mini, as well as Smash 64, I'd buy that in a heartbeat. If it was readily available of course, lol

osby

Smash Obsessed
I'd be happy for people who want them if they get in but... They don't seem really interesting. Just a bear and a bird tag team. It might be because I don't have the nostalgia but can someone explain what's so cool about them?

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
I'd be happy for people who want them if they get in but... They don't seem really interesting. Just a bear and a bird tag team. It might be because I don't have the nostalgia but can someone explain what's so cool about them?
The duo have a tons of moveset potential based on the moves they learn in their games. but yes, I imagine a lot of the want for these guys is because of nostalgia and a love for the characters and their games.
Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were iconic games on the N64, and basically set the standard for 3D platforming collect-a-thons that several other 3D platformer games would emulate.
The characters had a ton of charm to them based on their animations and dialogue in their games. and the games themselves were just as charming. So yes, while they are just a bear (with shorts and a backpack) and a bird, their personalities are quite fun. Banjo is good natured but a little lazy. while Kazooie is a sarcastic, smartmouthed hot-head, but a good bird deep down. their conflicting personalities made for a fun dynamic in a lot of the dialogue in the game.

In terms of their moveset, It would largely be simple moves from their game
Swiping Banjo's Claws, Pecking with Kazooie's beak, Flutter Jumps with her wings, Rolling, ground pounds using Kazooie's beak as a drill, Swinging Banjo's backpack around, etc etc.
Kazooie's ability to shoot eggs would also likely be utilized in a number of ways, and the variety of eggs from Banjo-Tooie would add to their abilities. regular eggs, incendiary fire eggs, freezing ice eggs, grenade eggs, etc.

It's not the flashiest of movesets, but there's plenty to work with from their games.

so yeah, all in all, they're fun, beloved characters with a moveset that writes itself who SHOULD have been in Smash years ago, but due to the buyout, it couldn't happen. or so it seemed till recently. the fact that they imply there is still a chance has reignited the passion and desire in a lot of people to see these beloved childhood icons finally get their shot in smash and "return home" to a nintendo console

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
The only game I have played is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts. But definitely add me to the supporters!

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Oh man, where do I begin?!

So Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were original Nintendo 64 platformers that revolutionized the 3D platforming genre that Super Mario 64 two years earlier had pioneered. Their parent company Rare had already worked with Nintendo many times before, bringing such masterpieces to their systems such as a newly revamped Donkey Kong Country series, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, among others. These two games though, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, were the piece de resistance, they had incredible levels, gameplay, finely-tuned controls, funny and memorable characters and writing, and freaking stellar music. When Rare was bought out by Microsoft shortly after the end of the N64 era, it was a blow to many fans of the series including myself. They've faded away into obscurity, having only one new, less-than-stellar incarnation, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts, which strayed away from what made the original games so memorable and classic.

I can't really describe what makes Banjo-Kazooie such an iconic pair of characters. For me, personally, I feel like the simple visual of a cartoony bear wearing yellow shorts and a blue backpack carrying his red winged pal Kazooie is such a pleasing thing to see. They have a ton of personality, both of them clash with each other despite being buddies, Banjo being laid back and easygoing and Kazooie being abrasive and obnoxious. In their game series, they have a TON of moves for traversing the many worlds they travel to and attacks to defend themselves against their enemies. All of these moves translate incredibly well to Smash Bros. Every last move they have in their home games would easily work with any input in Smash. They have tons of visual references from their games that would translate well to Smash, such as their on-screen entrance to battle being their exit pad from Banjo-Kazooie that has them teleport onto each world and their idle animations and victory animations being easily adapted from their games. Even their universe icon is simple but effective, a Jiggy or jigsaw puzzle, the most important items they collect in their home series of which collecting is the ultimate objective.

It's with their departure from Nintendo and their lack of presence in recent years that makes me yearn to see them make a comeback in the Smash Bros. series. Smash Bros. has been known in recent years for bringing back obscure and irrelevant characters including the Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus' Pit, and the Robotic Operating Buddy or R.O.B. It's actually their 20th anniversary this year since their first solo game. Banjo actually first appeared solo in Diddy Kong Racing as a racer, but his appearance with Kazooie in Banjo-Kazooie is what is really important. And I feel that with this new game for the Switch projected to release this year as well, its an opportune time for the bear and bird to make an appearance. It all depends on Microsoft and Nintendo coming to some sort of arrangement to allow them in. I have my fingers crossed that they'll work something out. Because honestly, Banjo-Kazooie would be a fun and unique addition to Smash that would be fun to see them interact with Nintendo's all-star line up and pay homage to the underrepresented N64 era of Nintendo's history that I know many people, especially myself, would be hyped about akin to Mega Man's announcement since he too first appeared on Nintendo consoles only to suffer from a lack of positive representation. I feel in spite of their being owned by Microsoft, they are one of the most viable third party entries to be chosen for Smash thanks to their history. But we will see what Nintendo has in store for Smash come E3.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Nintendo actually (at least co) owned Banjo-Kazooie prior to the buyout of Rare by Microsoft.

The issue was that Rare owned the DK crew (sans DK and Diddy) and some of the minor characters from DK64 (like K Lumsy) and they sort of gave Banjo in order to keep everything from DK.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Oh man, where do I begin?!

So Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie were original Nintendo 64 platformers that revolutionized the 3D platforming genre that Super Mario 64 two years earlier had pioneered. Their parent company Rare had already worked with Nintendo many times before, bringing such masterpieces to their systems such as a newly revamped Donkey Kong Country series, Diddy Kong Racing, GoldenEye 007, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Perfect Dark, among others. These two games though, Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, were the piece de resistance, they had incredible levels, gameplay, finely-tuned controls, funny and memorable characters and writing, and freaking stellar music. When Rare was bought out by Microsoft shortly after the end of the N64 era, it was a blow to many fans of the series including myself. They've faded away into obscurity, having only one new, less-than-stellar incarnation, Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts n' Bolts, which strayed away from what made the original games so memorable and classic.

I can't really describe what makes Banjo-Kazooie such an iconic pair of characters. For me, personally, I feel like the simple visual of a cartoony bear wearing yellow shorts and a blue backpack carrying his red winged pal Kazooie is such a pleasing thing to see. They have a ton of personality, both of them clash with each other despite being buddies, Banjo being laid back and easygoing and Kazooie being abrasive and obnoxious. In their game series, they have a TON of moves for traversing the many worlds they travel to and attacks to defend themselves against their enemies. All of these moves translate incredibly well to Smash Bros. Every last move they have in their home games would easily work with any input in Smash. They have tons of visual references from their games that would translate well to Smash, such as their on-screen entrance to battle being their exit pad from Banjo-Kazooie that has them teleport onto each world and their idle animations and victory animations being easily adapted from their games. Even their universe icon is simple but effective, a jiggy or jigsaw puzzle, the most important items they collect in their home series of which collecting is the ultimate objective.

It's with their departure from Nintendo and their lack of presence in recent years that makes me yearn to see them make a comeback in the Smash Bros. series. Smash Bros. has been known in recent years for bringing back obscure and irrelevant characters including the Ice Climbers, Kid Icarus' Pit, and the Robotic Operating Buddy or R.O.B. It's actually their 20th anniversary this year since their first solo game. Banjo actually first appeared solo in Diddy Kong Racing as a racer, but his appearance with Kazooie in Banjo-Kazooie is what is really important. And I feel that with this new game for the Switch projected to release this year as well, its an opportune time for the bear and bird to make an appearance. It all depends on Microsoft and Nintendo coming to some sort of arrangement to allow them in. I have my fingers crossed that they'll work something out. Because honestly, Banjo-Kazooie would be a fun and unique addition to Smash that would be fun to see them interact with Nintendo's all-star line up and pay homage to the underrepresented N64 era of Nintendo's history that I know many people, especially myself, would be hyped about akin to Mega Man's announcement since he too first appeared on Nintendo consoles only to suffer from a lack of positive representation. I feel in spite of their being owned by Microsoft, they are one of the most viable third party entries to be chosen for Smash thanks to their history. But we will see what Nintendo has in store for Smash come E3.
Pretty much this. Also, you had mentioned at some earlier time the N64 mini/Classic Edition. I'd love for this to not only be a thing, but to actually have characters not in the original 64 to be put into the game. I don't know why, but the blocky style of the 64 is just so charming to me, plus with 64's physics, is an instant win for me.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
That was a close race, Crash is cool, but Banjo-Kazooie have history with Nintendo, it'd be a shame if he made it in before them. But, that said, if they managed to get in eventually as DLC or something, I'd be less salty about it. I just want them in their N64 (albeit HD-ified) glory duking it out with the likes of Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, and Pac-Man.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Banjo is Historically important to the N64 era of Nintendo. Every time I think of Smash they at the top of my list.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Crash vs Banjo Death Battle.

I am serious here.
Now, now, Banjo-Kazooie won fair and square in the polls. If Crash had won, we'd be gracious in defeat. Second place ain't a bad place for a pair of third party characters who haven't had a real game in 10 years! And Crash has made his comeback and has a more likely chance of being in Smash anyway. Let the bear and bird have their moment in this fan-based poll. They needed this.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
So, lets say Banjo and Kazooie do make it into the game, would you prefer them to be announced in Xboxs E3 as a surprise in a cg only trailer (similar to the Inklings reveal) with more gameplay at Nintendos E3, or a traditional trailer with gameplay included but just at Nintendos E3.

Id be happy either way, but I think it would be an even bigger bombshell if Phil Spencer went on stage of Xboxs E3 and said "Time for a special announcement!" Followed by Banjo and Kazooie infront of the Smash logo (like the inkling trailer) with Sakurai or Reggie invading the Xbox E3.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
So, lets say Banjo and Kazooie do make it into the game, would you prefer them to be announced in Xboxs E3 as a surprise in a cg only trailer (similar to the Inklings reveal) with more gameplay at Nintendos E3, or a traditional trailer with gameplay included but just at Nintendos E3.

Id be happy either way, but I think it would be an even bigger bombshell if Phil Spencer went on stage of Xboxs E3 and said "Time for a special announcement!" Followed by Banjo and Kazooie infront of the Smash logo (like the inkling trailer) with Sakurai or Reggie invading the Xbox E3.
I'd be okay with either or assuming they got in, but honestly I'd be most happy if it was a Nintendo thing. Like a coming home for them instead of being on a leash held by Microsoft. But if it was a Xbox trailer saying oh yeah we're letting Banjo-Kazooie join Smash I would not complain lol.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

They could do another backroom announcement like for Pacman and I'd be fine because all I need is them in the game

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I mean I obviously want a big a reveal, the point of the post is that no matter how they are announced the moment I see them in Smash I'm jumping for joy

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
We are now less than two weeks away from E3 and Smash Bros. getting hopefully a s*** ton of information revealed after three long agonizing months of waiting to hear SOMETHING and doing nothing but speculating on what they'll reveal at the Direct and the Treehouse! Even though I'd be most hyped if the bear and bird got a surprise announcement on the Direct or E3, I won't get my hopes up. I'm just happy we'll finally see something about Smash after waiting this long without any new information other than "Oh yeah, there's a new Smash coming to Switch"! What about you guys? Anything else you're looking forward to for this Direct other than the hope that maybe Banjo-Kazooie will make a surprise appearance?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think Banjo & Kazooie at least have a stronger chance than Crash Bandicoot. There was huge support for Banjo & Kazooie during the Ballot. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo sat down with Phil Spencer (or someone from Microsoft) to hatch out a deal for them in Smash Bros.

The biggest problem for Crash is timing. We don't know when Nintendo would have met Activision to talk about Crash N-Sane Trilogy let alone him in Smash.

Banjo & Kazooie biggest issue is that Microsoft owns them and they are competitors. However, they have worked together (Minecraft is an example.) So, I don't see that as much of an issue compared to Crash whose biggest issue would be timing.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Honestly, I think Banjo & Kazooie at least have a stronger chance than Crash Bandicoot. There was huge support for Banjo & Kazooie during the Ballot. It wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo sat down with Phil Spencer (or someone from Microsoft) to hatch out a deal for them in Smash Bros.

The biggest problem for Crash is timing. We don't know when Nintendo would have met Activision to talk about Crash N-Sane Trilogy let alone him in Smash.

Banjo & Kazooie biggest issue is that Microsoft owns them and they are competitors. However, they have worked together (Minecraft is an example.) So, I don't see that as much of an issue compared to Crash whose biggest issue would be timing.
There's one problem with that line of thinking. Recentcy means nothing to third parties. The third parties go by a completely different set of rules so yes perhaps the N Sane Trilogy doesn't help his chances but he wouldn't get in for promotion but icon status so the N Sane Trilogy's timing doesn't matter either way. I'm not saying Crash will get in this go around but we can't apply first party logic to third parties.

MetroLSD

Smash Apprentice
Revealing a hype-generating guest character during the E3 debut of a Smash game seems to be the norm for series starting with Brawl

BK is the only guest character guest character they could reveal that would generate as much hype as when Snake was reveal for Brawl and when Megaman was revealed for Smash 4.Revealing

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I dunno about that, there are big names still out there but it would truly be magical to see Banjo revealed at E3 and if nothing else if Nintendo wanted free advertising including Banjo and Kazooie would ensure the game journalist wouldn't shut up about the game for months.

Top Bottom