• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Banjo-Kazooie really didn't get any love like Joker or Hero.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly just glad they're in finally, and that them and their stage are faithfully recreated from the N64 days. No ugly Nuts & Bolts alt. Great remixes by the original composer & 3 originals (Freezeezy Peak, Patch & Lord Woo) And the best part is, you have to actually play the game to win with them. Not some immediatly obvious, powerful, dominating **** like Hero's specials & Joker's press down B to absorb every single attack then counter. Wonder Wing is a little gimmicky but not compared to the other crap in the game. Honestly other than an alternate costume, there no different from Joker, Hero and I'm sure Terry & #5.

Btw why do ppl act like no one outside of the US gives a **** about Banjo? They were developed by Brits and have y'all seen all the crazy reaction videos from ppl of all nationalities and cultures? There is a lot of ppl who uploaded videos who were excited and some who were excited but don't give a damn about telling the world or uploading videos about it. Heck, I love the Heroes and I'm as American as Terry Bogard.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
What we got was great, but it is kind of a sad thought that, had Banjo been included on the base roster, his series would of been given the full premium treatment much like Castlevania was.

We could of gotten more remixes (preferably more music from Tooie), an assist trophy, and maybe even Gruntilda as a boss in World of Light.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I do think there is bias towards Japanese IP, partly because it is easier for Sakurai to work with. However, the only item that seemed off was the lack of Mii Costumes. Everything else was done well and showed a lot of love for the series. It might have been a Microsoft decision and not a Nintendo decision so be careful about throwing stones.

Hobnail Boot

Smash Cadet
If I had one complaint it would be the music. What we got is amazing, but it feels like there should have been more. Even to this day BK and BT are known for their music and it saddened me to see some of my favorite tracks left out (Click Clock Wood Spring, Hailfire Peaks, Gruntys Lair, etc.).

That being said, I'm having a blast playing as BK and am just happy they finally got in. I really can't complain!

StormC

Smash Hero
One way to think about it: ask anyone in the newcomer speculation section how they would feel if their character got a stage with cameos of the main characters, 7 remixes, and the stage faithfully recreates the series' most iconic location.

I would wager most would be jumping with joy.

Last edited:

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
One way to think about it: ask anyone in the newcomer speculation section how they would feel if their character got a stage with cameos of the main characters, 7 remixes, and the stage faithfully recreates the series' most iconic location.

I would wager most would be jumping with joy.
If that happened with Quote and Cave Story I'd freak out

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Banjo was treated really well, especially with his stage, animations (victory animations come to mind), and the music selection. (Though they really should've added Click Clock Wood... my only music request lol. Definitely would trade Lord Woo Fak Fak for it.) And don't forget that he's a balanced and fun character to pick up and play.

Hero on the other hand... he got a lot of love, but the results weren't great. He got 4 different alt colors, which was really nice, and the stage was alright. The music selection had a total of zero remixes though. The tracks were ok at best, with some mediocre tracks. (Battle For The Glory is an abysmal track.) And they somehow missed the main theme for DQ XI. The one they played in his reveal trailer... And balance was thrown out the window with him. Sakurai got a little too carried away with his moveset tbh.

This is all just my opinion, so feel free to disagree. (Keep it civil though.)

Last edited:

Buuhan

Is mayonnaise an instrument?
Seriously, this is ridiculous. Joker has an alternate costume, multiple versions of his stage, AND special end screens. Hero gets FOUR alternate costumes, AND a crap load of special moves. And then there's Banjo-Kazooie. No Dragon Kazooie, no Grunty boss, No alternate skins at all, nothing special, no beach lounging end screen, and on top of that Wonder Wing is terrible.

I really think Sakurai was forced to add B&K, that's why his release is just....meh.
“wOnDErWiNg Is BaD!”

mobilisq

Smash Ace
willing to bet OP has muted the replies to this thread by now, but I gotta chime in just to say: dude, what a hilariously awful take

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Really? I disagree. TC actually has more of a point in retrospect after Terry who got more remixes than any other character got music full-stop. Honestly feeling pretty robbed we couldn't even get a non-remixed Gruntilda Battle or a single non-BK track.

Hedgehugs

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7897-0445-8488
i agree banjo feels lackluster if we're comparing him to the amount of love hero and (especially) terry got but he still got treated respectable and wouldn't say he didn't get any love at all. i'd list reasons/examples but previous posts already did that for me lol.

also maybe im just trash at the game but wonderwing feels like a pretty good move. you just gotta use it wisely.

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
Did Terry get more love? Absolutely, I'll admit that.
Did he not get any love? No, Banjo was still treated very well.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Really? I disagree. TC actually has more of a point in retrospect after Terry who got more remixes than any other character got music full-stop. Honestly feeling pretty robbed we couldn't even get a non-remixed Gruntilda Battle or a single non-BK track.
I mean yeah, in terms of music, Terry got a lot, but Banjo still technically did better than the other DLC picks in that regard. Prior to Terry, BK had by far the most most remixes of any DLC fighter, with seven whole remixes in comparison to Persona's three or Dragon Quest's zero. Terry/Fatal Fury is basically the one outlier thus far in terms of music tracks.

The only place Banjo got really skimped out on was Mii Fighter outfits. It's weird we got nothing here when Persona/DQ/SNK got neat costumes. I would of really liked a Mumbo Jumbo swordfighter outfit.

Folt

Smash Ace
Something of note: both Banjo & Kazooie and Terry have only recolors with no true alts.

I'd also argue that both Banjo & Kazooie and Terry came with some truly interesting stages for your typical casual Smash play.

(Also, Terry coming with 50 music tracks is more because SNK basically okayed the whole "potential tracks" list.)

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I think it's silly to quantify the amount of "love" based on the music tracks. Not every franchise is going to be the same in this regard, so fighting for equality in this area is futile. Stuff like this depends also on the composers intent to compose music and the owners' generosity. Terry having 50 tracks was because SNK was extremely generous, not because of preferential treatment. I bet the people who factor this are the type of people who spend their lives counting the chickens in the neighbor's backyard.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I think they got a lot of love, but with Terry now having gotten a bunch of unique fighter abilities, including his Super Special Moves and Dodge Attacks, along with Joker's Rebellion Gauge and Hero's MP Gauge and Critical Hits, its kinda sad not having something unique for Banjo & Kazooie's gameplay, unless the Wonderwing counts, which even then it'd be nice if we had a meter above them to show how many are left. I wish they'd have given them the Egg Select option from Banjo-Tooie so you could fire more than just the Blue Eggs and Grenade Eggs from behind. There's still a lot they could've added to them, even holding the Feathery Flap third jump to allow for more horizontal recovery would've been nice since that's how it worked in their home games. But I'll take what I can get, it's still super awesome seeing them in game and updated to today's visuals. I'm hoping they'll someday be veterans in a future installment.

The only place Banjo got really skimped out on was Mii Fighter outfits. It's weird we got nothing here when Persona/DQ/SNK got neat costumes. I would of really liked a Mumbo Jumbo swordfighter outfit.
Yeah that also irked me, they got nothing during their presentation, and to add salt to the wound, got completely upstaged by the Sans Mii Gunner outfit lol of all the times to show that, it HAD to be the same day Banjo & Kazooie release, taking away their thunder lol

Last edited:

TennisBall

Smash Journeyman
Yeah that must have hurt.
(Not that I contributed to the problem, I totally didn't like Sans being added to the game, look at my profile, you can tell you can trust me.)

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
SNK is notorious with their pretty loose policies on their IPs. Geese was in Tekken and Haohmaru is (will) be in SoulCalibur. For starters. Not to mention the SNKvsC series as well. I find it no surprise that SNK was totally onboard with adding as much content as possible. And, yes, Sakurai bias is real but you have to remember that SNK literally defined the childhood and young adulthood for many of the developers and designers working in Smash. KoF can be seen as one of the reasons why we have a game like Smash. Every Japanese gamer that grew up in the 90’s can point to the SNK franchises as their introduction and maturation into the fighting genre. As for me, I grew up with SNK just as much as B&K.

B&K got a fair share of representation and it would of been nice to have a few more songs, Dragon Kazooie, Grunty rhymes, and a few Mii Fighter outfits; I’m generally happy how the series was represented. SNK/FF is a bit different as it helped define the fighting genre and has such a cultural history in Japan and the world that’s really hard to match.

im not gonna embed the video due to offensive language but, if you want a good look at SNK’s contribution to the fighting genre and a comparison to Terry’s gameplay presentation, please go to watch Max Dude’s reaction video to the whole presentation. It’s extremely spot on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom