• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
You know I am actually kind of hopeful for Banjo's chances. Sakurai loves to suprise people and make the impossible possible. and I think Banjo would be the perfect pick for that kind of out of left field "You underestimate my power!" kind of play.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
You know I am actually kind of hopeful for Banjo's chances. Sakurai loves to suprise people and make the impossible possible. and I think Banjo would be the perfect pick for that kind of out of left field "You underestimate my power!" kind of play.
This is exactly what happened with Cloud. B&K are a perfect "unexpected but legendary" DLC choice.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
This is exactly what happened with Cloud. B&K are a perfect "unexpected but legendary" DLC choice.
exactly! I feel like he wants to top himself. give one more epic surprise. and the only other character I feel that could have that effect would maybe be Sora? but with Cloud in already it doesn't seem as surprising as it could be. at least to some people.

Banjo & Kazooie are owned by another platforms company. I think that would truly shock people

Last edited:

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
exactly! I feel like he wants to top himself. give one more epic surprise. and the only other character I feel that could have that effect would maybe be Sora? but with Cloud in already it doesn't seem as surprising as it could be. at least to some people.

Banjo & Kazooie are owned by another platforms company. I think that would truly shock people
Yeah, and even if somebody like Steve exists from the same company that could be just as surprising, B&K would be met with far more positivity and obviously have nostalgia's favor like Cloud did.

B&K likely have a huge ballot presence too. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen during this DLC period.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, and even if somebody like Steve exists from the same company that could be just as surprising, B&K would be met with far more positivity and obviously have nostalgia's favor like Cloud did.

B&K likely have a huge ballot presence too. If it's going to happen, it's going to happen during this DLC period.
Right. also I don't see Steve actually getting in as a character at least because Sakurai wants to have the freedom to change a characters look to better match the aesthetic of the game. which there really isn't a way to change Steve to match the rest of the cast without completely destroying his look.

so Banjo is the only real choice from Microsoft.

Last edited:

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I feel Banjo would have be more meaning than Crash or Spyro. Even outside of us the die hard fans there’s fans of the pure joy those 64 games brought. I really hope with how how Microsoft is buddy buddy now, they hold that big back room meeting regarding his inclusion.

xpnc

Smash Lord
NNID
RexTurbocool
Switch FC
SW-4209-5138-9019
I feel Banjo would have be more meaning than Crash or Spyro. Even outside of us the die hard fans there’s fans of the pure joy those 64 games brought. I really hope with how how Microsoft is buddy buddy now, they hold that big back room meeting regarding his inclusion.
Banjo absolutely would have more meaning. At one point in history, Banjo was one of Nintendo's flagship characters. He should have been in Melee, for goodness sake. I don't give a damn about Crash Bandicoot or Spyro, I care about seeing Nintendo's all-stars duking it out, and Banjo is one of those all-stars.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
So if there’s Minecraft representation... But no character... That would mean Microsoft is involved like with Konami and Bomberman, so if that’s the case, could we possibly get a Microsoft character playable?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
So if there’s Minecraft representation... But no character... That would mean Microsoft is involved like with Konami and Bomberman, so if that’s the case, could we possibly get a Microsoft character playable?
I know Microsoft stage/AT =/= Playable Banjo & Kazooie, but I doubt Sakurai would just engage in talks with them without getting a character out of it, especially when Microsoft has been vocal of their approval of including B&K.

That's why I don't expect Minecraft content to be shown off before anything else Microsoft-related. It might spoil what's to come.

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Pretty exciting news. It makes it clear the ballot was for Ultimate all along and Bayo didn't actually sneak up out of nowhere and get so many votes. My theory is that Bayo was chosen in advance as someone they knew they could make happen but would also be expected to get a respectable amount of votes since she's a third party. Then, they took the characters that were actually at the top and set them aside for Ultimate. Only after them was she #1 in Europe and top 5 in America in terms of "realizable and negotiable".

It doesn't directly mean anything for Banjo & Kazooie but they had to be high up there. Even if they're not in the base game, they still might have been set aside as somebody Sakurai wants to pursue as DLC. It's hard to imagine that in a game especially for the fans, they didn't have DLC in mind from the beginning as a way to sell some hardcore fanservice like B&K.
But her being #1 in Europe and top 5 in US wasn't in relation to her being "realizable". It was her worldwide popularity. I imagine this is true since they didn't mention Japan (so she probably didn't do that well there), and they had Cloud, who they also could have easily have just said did that well on the ballot and it'd be more believable. I agree that they probably started her in advance, but her being that requested probably made for a good way to sell the idea of her being "the pick". As for what it means for BK, I don't think I'm fit to answer that but I do think if there was ever any Smash game to bring them in more than any other, Ultimate would be the game to do it.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Banjo and Kazooie being in Smash is the closest to an "unrealistic expectation" I have for Smash Ultimate. Out of all the truly difficult to realize characters, they are the only ones I really support due to their connection with Nintendo and my own love of the games, which manage to hold up pretty well today.

I also just want to see the characters return in proper form that isn't just a bastardization of them like Nuts and Bolts was. My only real concern is how Phil Spencer has continued to tweet about supporting them, and I would expect him to be involved in some sort of NDA if they were in the base game at this point. Now, DLC though? That's completely fair game.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
But her being #1 in Europe and top 5 in US wasn't in relation to her being "realizable". It was her worldwide popularity. I imagine this is true since they didn't mention Japan (so she probably didn't do that well there), and they had Cloud, who they also could have easily have just said did that well on the ballot and it'd be more believable. I agree that they probably started her in advance, but her being that requested probably made for a good way to sell the idea of her being "the pick". As for what it means for BK, I don't think I'm fit to answer that but I do think if there was ever any Smash game to bring them in more than any other, Ultimate would be the game to do it.
Doesn't it sound a little "fortunate" that the character they chose for likely unrelated reasons (advertisement, easy to obtain, moveset potential) happen to do do that overwhelmingly well? I don't actually believe she placed at the very top considering her game was still new and niche to most Nintendo gamers while only really taking off on the other consoles.

But that made an interesting combination where she had a decent fanbase as a third party but not enough to outshine Inkling, K. Rool, Bandana Dee, Ashley, etc. That's why I'm insisting that they made an educated guess that they could expect her to place decently (Top 20-25 or so), so once they picked out the real top characters for Ultimate (since it was on a superior system with more capabilities), they could be excluded from the tally and Bayonetta could then more realistically jump into #1 for Europe and top 5 for the US. That way, it hides the fact that they were already planning the next Smash game.

Maybe "realizable and negotiable" only meant for Smash 4, and that way you could exclude K. Rool, Ridley, and the like since they weren't going to be in until the next game. Bayo did decently for sure, but we can't just assume that Sakurai was telling only the truth about her performance. I and most others would honestly be shocked if she did that well. Of course, this is all just me speculating and I could have egg on my face if I saw the public ballot results.

Banjo & Kazooie likely aren't directly affected by this, but I do think they were ahead of Bayonetta. I don't know if they'll still fall under a "non-negotiable" blanket since they're a Microsoft property, but I agree that this is their best opportunity to shine.

SmashKeks

Smash Ace
You can add me to the support list. I've never played a BK game, but I appreciate the characters nonetheless and I fancy a good collectathon platformer, to which I'm well aware BK are practically the grandfathers of the very genre. Here's hoping the bird and bear make their debut.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I swear, even though we've yet to see anything new or groundbreaking since E3, I've been getting so anxious and excited about what we're gonna see with this game in the coming months! The anticipation is actually getting to me and I'm loving it! I won't get too upset if Banjo-Kazooie don't end up in the base game, but man if they make it as DLC with Spiral Mountain as a home stage, I'm gonna be so freaking pumped! I won't give up hope til after the very end!

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If both King K Rool and Banjo Kazooie, or Dixie and Banjo both make it into SmashU, I will pay for a yearly Premium membership!

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I really hope ultimate brings the characters that deserve a spot. We all know who they are.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I swear, even though we've yet to see anything new or groundbreaking since E3, I've been getting so anxious and excited about what we're gonna see with this game in the coming months! The anticipation is actually getting to me and I'm loving it! I won't get too upset if Banjo-Kazooie don't end up in the base game, but man if they make it as DLC with Spiral Mountain as a home stage, I'm gonna be so freaking pumped! I won't give up hope til after the very end!
I'll have my expectations low until a confirmation makes them spiral (not sorry) into a celebration that'll likely have a few tears shed. DLC seems to be their time to shine, so I won't be discouraged one bit by their absence in the base game.

I just want new info first and foremost. I don't know why I'm already feeling anxious after a month when Smash 4 had an even longer cycle to deal with, but maybe because these dreams of mine actually have a chance to become real this time.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Just want throw my hat into the arena and shout out my support for Banjo-Kazooie.

I agree, without him in the game, the roster will always feel incomplete as I consider Banjo the last true Nintendo All-Star despite currently being held hostage by Microsoft.

Banjo also represents the N64 era which greatly lacks any true representation at the moment. Sure we have Ganondorf and Shiek which heil from that console. But Banjo was original IP from the N64.

If he misses the cut again, it will be a huge disappointment.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Just want throw my hat into the arena and shout out my support for Banjo-Kazooie.

I agree, without him in the game, the roster will always feel incomplete as I consider Banjo the last true Nintendo All-Star despite currently being held hostage by Microsoft.

Banjo also represents the N64 era which greatly lacks any true representation at the moment. Sure we have Ganondorf and Shiek which heil from that console. But Banjo was original IP from the N64.

If he misses the cut again, it will be a huge disappointment.
That's why I always get so sad of the state they're in, they're akin to Mega Man in that sense. They started on Nintendo systems before being sold to someone else and relegated to window dressing and not much else. I'm glad Mega Man is heading back to his roots (and I feel Smash is the cause of that), but I want the same for Banjo-Kazooie now. It would also be nice to have Rare represented in Smash by the most appropriate characters from them. At least their chances seem to be more prosperous than ever now!

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Some interesting clues that point to the possibility of Banjo getting in Smash:

-Sakurai has talked about him before, positive or negative he has acknowledged his fan support. Like with Ridley, this could lead to inclusion

-Nintendo and Microsoft have had a recent history of collaboration with Minecraft

-The project plan was finalized in 2015 right after the Smash Ballot. Coupled with recent information suggesting the ballot would be used more so for the next game, this seems support Banjo as he was a leading vote receiver according to Source Gaming

-Krystal is in her Adventures costume, a Rare game, which points to Sakurai akwnowledging Rare

-If K Rool, a Rare character albeit still in Nintendo control, gets in, this sides more in Rare’s direction

-Curiously, the newest Banjo collectible statue is back to his Nintendo design, hmmm

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Nintendo and Rare were truly a match made in heaven. I have so much nostalgia for Banjo & Kazooie ever since I turned eight years old back in 1998 when I got the game as a birthday gift. Banjo and Kazooie should have been in years ago.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I hope Sakurai doesn’t add anything from Nuts and Bolts in this game, although I think it would be sweet to have stuff from Grunty’s Revenge and Banjo Pilot, hidden classics in my eyes.

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
Any leaks with Banjo?
The Riddle leak regarding “Folklore” could loosely mean Banjo. The first riddle of that is probably King K rool and a bunch of other Nintendo leaks have said King K is gonna be shown this month.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While I don't believe any of the leaks; I do believe that if it were true; "Folklore" wouldn't be Banjo & Kazooie. Honestly, that sounds more like Jibanyan of Yokai Watch than them.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
I agree “folklore” seems like a stretch.

The environment is there for Banjo, and he is very requested as is evident by Source Gaming’s reports on the Smash Ballot. But a lot of “leaks” point to DLC.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Really dig the movelist on the front page couple things I’d change though.

I’d want up smash to be flap flip that upon being charged flips banjo into the air (the more charged the higher he flips). (Has a lot of options now that he is air born)

I’d keep the beak buster from down air however if you hold the a button it changes into a bill drill (which can break shield or ground opponents who are hit)

I’d make thrust peck break shield if it hits one.

Up throw would have you hit the opponent with a spring jump

Down smash would be a grounded pack wac move where banjo does a back and forth swinging his backpack

Side Special would be Invulnerable feathers where he would just move forward for a short distance with an invincible hit box, in air he doesn’t move but has the invincible hitbox. Bad on block/whiff of course.

Id put talon trot to a command similar to inkling getting ink by shielding and pressing A.

Last edited:

Bozikins

Smash Rookie
Just wanted to show my support for the bear and bird. The N64 games are my favorites on the system. I was incredibly disappointed when they weren't announced for Smash 4. I actually submitted an essay with my ballot vote because I felt so strongly about their inclusion. Whether they have a new design, old design, or Nuts and Bolts design, I don't care. Just as many of you have expressed, as long as we have Banjo and Kazooie, I'd be content (though Ultimate is shaping up to be a spectacular game even without our dynamic duo).

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I think banjo got a decent shot since the possible minecraft involvement thing in verge ben

The only roadblock I see is geno and Simon Belmont since more than 2 third party's for base is hard to see

But hey I would love to be wrong and get all 3

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
There's like five third parties in the base, two of those companies having two characters (three companies if Vergeben is right about Simon).
Hey can someone link me to Source Gaming's data to do with the Smash Ballot or whatever?

Last edited:

Hot_N_Tasty

Smash Journeyman
There's like five third parties in the base, two of those companies having two characters (three companies if Vergeben is right about Simon).
Hey can someone link me to Source Gaming's data to do with the Smash Ballot or whatever?
Even more, if Vergeben is right about Simon, then that's eight third parties in the base game (assuming no other make it in).
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: & Simon

EDIT: Source Gaming article about Bayonetta and the Ballot

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Even more, if Vergeben is right about Simon, then that's eight third parties in the base game (assuming no other make it in).
:ultsnake::ultsonic::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultryu::ultcloud::ultbayonetta: & Simon

EDIT: Source Gaming article about Bayonetta and the Ballot
Considering there's only 7 third party characters in the base game thus far out of 65 playable confirmed characters, I feel like having one or two more third party characters would only help Smash Bros. Having third party characters in the game, especially ones as big as Rayman, Geno, Simon Belmont, and Banjo-Kazooie gets people hyped about the game even more than they already were. If Snake & Simon Belmont represent Konami, Sonic & Bayonetta represent Sega, Mega Man & Ryu represent Capcom, Pac-Man represents Namco, Cloud Stryfe and Geno represent Square Enix, Rayman represents Ubisoft, and Banjo-Kazooie represent Rare, you have a total of 7 different third party companies with at least one or two per company for 11 total third party characters out of possibly 75 total playable characters if we're going by a ten-total newcomers outlook by the end of the game's production. I feel like that would be a good balance and with those particular characters I feel like it would be an amazing roster.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Top Bottom