• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Apologies if this is old news but it seems Grant Kirkhope isn't very confident in Banjo's Chances: https://okaycool.ca/2018/08/10/banj...appearing-smash-bros-ultimate-grant-kirkhope/
I'm kind of perplexed now. Here's Kirkhope saying he doesn't see it happening because of Microsoft's disinterest in the Rare IP's, but in the Interview released this evening he's saying that a studio might be given the series to work with... So, if that's the case, does Kirkhope think they have a better chance now?

Regardless, I don't think Microsoft's disinterest would be the nail in the coffin. I feel that it's really about Sakurai and the development team, how badly they want to make it happen rather than how excited Microsoft is about the future of the characters.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I'm kind of perplexed now. Here's Kirkhope saying he doesn't see it happening because of Microsoft's disinterest in the Rare IP's, but in the Interview released this evening he's saying they just might work with the series... So, if that's the case, does Kirkhope think they have a better chance now?

Regardless, I don't think Microsoft's disinterest would be the nail in the coffin. I feel that it's really about Sakurai and the development team, how badly they want to make it happen rather than how excited Microsoft is about the future of the characters.
Yeah, I think Sakurai even requests characters.

I think he specifically asked for Cloud; that's what I got from the interview with him and Nomura.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Yeah, I think Sakurai even requests characters.

I think he specifically asked for Cloud; that's what I got from the interview with him and Nomura.
If that's the case I can do away with some of my skepticism. With Sakurai being able to seek out newcomers and his criteria for such being fan demand, I think the stars are aligned in certain ways.

And if Kirkhope thinks Microsoft/Rare would allow another studio to completely revive the series, I can't see how it would be out of line to think they would be cool with Nintendo working with Banjo-Kazooie characters.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I think Kirkhope don’t got nothing to do with Rare anymore and can and should be safely ignored.

Last edited:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Apologies if this is old news but it seems Grant Kirkhope isn't very confident in Banjo's Chances: https://okaycool.ca/2018/08/10/banj...appearing-smash-bros-ultimate-grant-kirkhope/
It's a month or so old at this point. It doesn't surprise me. Grant likely isn't involved in any way if Banjo *is* in, (remeber that he's no longer a part of Rare and is freelance) though, and in general he's been really pessimistic about the series for years.

I don't blame him, but it doesn't mean anything for Banjo's actual chances either way.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While Grant Kirkhope hasn't been with Rare for almost a decade, He pretty much sees the state of the franchise same way we do, It will be revived some point in the future ,But from a different studio seeing how Rare has no interest in continuing the series based on the studio head Craig Duncan, He wants Rare to experiment and create new experiences and IP, I can definitely see them bring back Kirkhope to score a future title since he's a freelancer, But this is pretty much the same answer and story we have been hearing and saying for years about the future state of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
While I'm obviously still hopeful about Banjo in Smash I share a similar sentiment as Kirkhope when it comes to the series' future. Rare has no interest in the games sadly and the only thing we can hope for is some developer to license it out.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Kirkhope doesn't know anymore then any if us do on details of the future of the Banjo franchise..his pessimism is warranted... after Microsoft purchased Rare they shut down a lot of their ideas, they made Banjo Nut's and Bolts into that bland crap that it is. Whatever was left of Rare jumped ship and the company was neutered by MS and used to make kinect games and Xbox avatars for years. So a lot of the old devs don't seem to be too fond of Microsoft's current use of the IPs.

I'll say this though.. the thing that usually gets games made is fan demand.. Rare and to much greater extent Microsoft can see there's a lot of fan buzz for Banjo maybe more than they thought there'd be.. I feel like that's why there's a bit more happening for the duo now upon their 20th anniversary than there even was when N&B was a thing.. I think Microsoft much like what they did with Killer Instinct and Battletoads is going to hand the game off to another Dev in an attempt to bring back the series.. I feel like we have a better chance at seeing HD remasters more so than a third game in the series as their a bit safer to do. Fans are more likely to reach for games they know they love over a sequel they could hate.

I truly do believe that Banjo-Kazooie is going to get the Crash and Spyro treatment and have a remaster collection done.. imagine how insane it would be if they did it and Switch actually had the remasters as well... I DOUBT that would happen but it could be quite lucrative for MS to consider... it'd be no different than Minecraft being on a Nintendo console in my opinion. The bulk of the Banjo-Kazooie fan base are on Nintendo platforms still anyway plus the games themselves appeal more to the Nintendo crowd. It could be a smart business move for MS to share the exclusivity with Nintendo.. they'd make waaaaay more money than if it was just Xbox exclusive.

Truthfully if they were REALLY smart they'd cut a deal with Playtonic and give them the resources and budget to make the remasters. It would no doubt be a passion project for them and would probably yield the best results.. of course that's all a pipe dream but I so still believe we will see an HD remaster of the original 2 games sooner than later.. I truly believe MS sees the demand for Banjo

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Yooka-Laylee is awful and they should by no means give Playtonic keys to the kingdom. That’s like suggesting the Color Splash team have a go at remaking TTYD.

Besides the Xbox Arcade versions look sharp and really nice.

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
Yooka-Laylee suffered from the dev team greatly underestimating the many trials and tribulations of game development in the modern era. If it released in 2000 it would be lauded in a similar manner to Kazooie and Tooie. Polish patches and the like have made the game much better, but unfortunately it's too little too late in the eyes of the general public.

If Playtonic somehow got ahold of the rights to Banjo, I'd welcome it only if they greatly increased the size of their development team to make sure they repeat none of the development blunders from Yooka's development.

Back to Smash, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that Banjo might not make the base roster. I would happily eat my words but it's seeming less likely with every piece of news we learn. However, if that ends up being true I think they're shoe-ins for DLC. Last game, Mewtwo was probably the most-requested character by far, and he was the first DLC character. I could see our bear and bird getting a similar fate.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Yooka-Laylee suffered from the dev team greatly underestimating the many trials and tribulations of game development in the modern era. If it released in 2000 it would be lauded in a similar manner to Kazooie and Tooie. Polish patches and the like have made the game much better, but unfortunately it's too little too late in the eyes of the general public.

If Playtonic somehow got ahold of the rights to Banjo, I'd welcome it only if they greatly increased the size of their development team to make sure they repeat none of the development blunders from Yooka's development.

Back to Smash, I'm starting to come to terms with the fact that Banjo might not make the base roster. I would happily eat my words but it's seeming less likely with every piece of news we learn. However, if that ends up being true I think they're shoe-ins for DLC. Last game, Mewtwo was probably the most-requested character by far, and he was the first DLC character. I could see our bear and bird getting a similar fate.
Yeah, I feel as if it'll be easier to Sakurai and Microsoft to work out a deal for DLC, and if Verge is right on Minecraft content, that'll be their stepping stone for the base game and perhaps part of the terms Microsoft requested to get Banjo & Kazooie. Sure, it would mean that B&K would be less "surprising" since Microsoft would already have involvement, but that's still a memorable moment waiting to happen.

With there in all likelihood being around 3-5 (3-4 imo) unique characters left, if there's going to be a big surprise for the end, it could very well be Isaac and Geno instead. Most third party characters nowadays end up as DLC so I feel like B&K going that way is a more realistic route than base.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Nobody should ignore Grank Kirkhope--he's a living legend. His pessimism is certainly warranted, and based on facts. If anything, it's the original creators who are still working with Rare that disappoint me the most (not to mention using Banjo & Kazooie's 20th anniversary to just promote Sea of Thieves). They've shown no interest in wanting to do anything with Banjo & Kazooie, and Grant's simply reflecting on that. I do, however, disagree with him--doesn't matter if the current Rare team want to do anything with Banjo, what matters is whether Sakurai would want to do anything with Banjo, as he would be the one asking for Microsoft's clearance, and from their perspective it would be a win for them. That's an even bigger question mark--while he has said that characters like Banjo and James Bond couldn't be in Melee given the legal conflicts at the time, he has never specified that they were considered, and we know little else, other than Banjo & Kazooie would be unique as being the first Smash playable characters currently owned by a Western company. It seems like the ballot was heavily considered, and if Verge is right, Microsoft content is in the game in the form of Minecraft--to me, those two point to Banjo & Kazooie being a legitimate possibility.

I hadn't heard about Grant's most recent interview, I'll have to take a look. One thing to mention is that I believe he's a freelancer, which means he doesn't work with Rare and probably wouldn't know anything about Banjo & Kazooie being in Smash, even if they are. The only person I could see knowing would be Gregg Mayles, as he currently works at Rare and may need to be a part of the negotiations, having designed the game. He didn't know about King K Rool, but that's because Nintendo owns the character. And Gregg hasn't mentioned anything that indicates one way or the other, though Steve Mayles, who works at Playtonic, not Rare, has been more positive, even joining in the hashtag BanjoforSmash. We'll have to wait and see.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I HATE !!! Craig Duncan !!! you don't become the head of a studio & have consumers foaming at the mouth for your iconic IP & say NO WE ONLY WANA MAKE NEW IP ! what an ASS ! (I mean at that point why still call your company rare? if you don't wana BE rare ? ) 4 years & all rare gave the world was sea of no mans sky witch no one would of bought for 60$ it only "sold" well B/C of that xbox servise they did where Sea of bore was a FREE game & all they did for banjo 20th was CONSTANTLY SHILL HARD FOR SEA OF **** !

**** THAT MAN !

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't understand why Microsoft won't sell the Banjo-Kazooie IP back to Nintendo? It doesn't do them any good and the Banjo IP in general doesn't work with the Xbox crowd. It is like Oswald with Disney. Oswald the Rabbits value was basically lost after Disney had to give up the IP. Disney of course went on to make Mickey Mouse as a replacement which became a legend. Only recently has Disney acquired the IP.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't understand why Microsoft won't sell the Banjo-Kazooie IP back to Nintendo? It doesn't do them any good and the Banjo IP in general doesn't work with the Xbox crowd. It is like Oswald with Disney. Oswald the Rabbits value was basically lost after Disney had to give up the IP. Disney of course went on to make Mickey Mouse as a replacement which became a legend. Only recently has Disney acquired the IP.
Not just Banjo-Kazooie, any IP of theirs that isn't Killer Instinct or Battletoads hasn't seen any use at all in years. Not even Perfect Dark. At least Nintendo occasionally makes references to their lesser used IPs, Microsoft just stuffs them in the toy chest, never seeing the light of day again.

Although they don't really need to sell off Grabbed By The Ghoulies, that'd be only worth a few hundred pounds at most.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
F-Zero would like a word with you, Miyamoto siad he won't make a new F-Zero without a "New kind of controller" B/C it needs something "new" AKA a BS gimick like starfox zero even tho they could do you know ONLINE WITH F-ZERO ! that would be pretty NEW! darn miyamoto! INB4 we get F-Zero labo as a "new controler" :/ sometimes nintendo lets IPs rot away too

PS: ice climbers would be great on moble as an endless climber game just saying nintendo

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As much as I would like for Nintendo to own it, Microsoft has no reason to sell it, Their not in need of cash or in having financial problems, not to mention competitors don't just sell IP's away to rivals, It's all about power and ownership, Rare is unfortunately in a weird limbo situation where Microsoft doesn't really know what to do with their IP's ,But have been slowly outsourcing them to other developers that can hopefully do justice with them, Killer Instinct did "well" and Battletoads looks like is next in line ,But part of that problem is Microsoft's because back when they started the Xbox brand and acquired Rare, They should have prioritized in really pushing Rare's franchises and reestablishing them especially Banjo-Kazooie (Rare's biggest original IP)and try to lure Nintendo's audience to get Xbox's ,But they poured all their resources into the Halo franchise and not much else on the Original Xbox and that unfortunately pretty much formed the identity and demographic of the Xbox Brand, (Shooters, Sports, Mature games)So a lot of Rare's catalog other than Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct don't appeal to that demographic and to this very day that's what the Xbox brand is still associated with, So in the end Microsoft failed to take advantage of the Rare acquisition and here they are stuck with a bunch of great IP's that appeal way more to the Nintendo audience and even if they did make a damn good Banjo-Kazooie it wouldn't sell that well and do ok at best on an Xbox console, Best case scenario Microsoft and Nintendo work out a deal to license Rare games on Nintendo's consoles where they will perform a lot better, But that's a pipe dream. Microsoft knows they mishandled Rare and failed to capatalize on their brand and legacy ,But I imagine they would rather let those IP's sit in the vault then admit they screwed up. That's why Microsoft only pushes Halo, Gears of War and Forza while Rare takes a backseat.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
F-Zero would like a word with you, Miyamoto siad he won't make a new F-Zero without a "New kind of controller" B/C it needs something "new" AKA a BS gimick like starfox zero even tho they could do you know ONLINE WITH F-ZERO ! that would be pretty NEW! darn miyamoto! INB4 we get F-Zero labo as a "new controler" :/ sometimes nintendo lets IPs rot away too

PS: ice climbers would be great on moble as an endless climber game just saying nintendo
Calm down for a minute, I'm just saying that while F-Zero isn't used, they still do references to it sometimes (like the race track in Mario Kart 8). They at least acknowledge it exists, even if Miyamoto sits on his butt and is reluctant to let anyone do something new with it, and it's obvious no one wants to comply to his demands.

Microsoft? Well, you're lucky if the Rare games they have even show up in Rare Replay. Poor Wizards and Warriors...

Edit: What I don't understand is why the people who do their own F-Zero-esque racers never have charismatic pilots, just cold and lifeless machines in standard futuristic settings.

Last edited:

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I think the problem with making Rare games based on prior IP, which Microsoft knew, was that their demographic wasn't platformers, it was shooters. They weren't buying Rare's IP, they were buying Rare, which had a great track record of making a diverse range of games, and their IP was a side thing they didn't really care about. And, as far as I know, Rare has been doing alright from Microsoft's perspective, so they have no issue saving those old IP for a rainy day. However, I feel like Microsoft's been in that rainy day period this whole generation, which may make them more open to lending out old Rare IP they have no interest in doing personally. If I were Microsoft, I would try to negotiate the rights to make new platforming games, like Banjo & Kazooie, exclusive to Microsoft/Nintendo. Other Rare IP, perhaps Battletoads, would remain exclusive to Xbox, perhaps convincing Nintendo fans into Rare to choose Xbox as their second console. To me, this is the only shot I see at seeing something new from Banjo & Kazooie, though I think it's unlikely--I think Nintendo has cut all ties and is not looking to buy old Rare IP, they like to go their own way. I do, however, think it's possible for Sakurai to convince Nintendo to get in talks with Microsoft for Banjo & Kazooie in Smash, and perhaps those talks are what led to Minecraft on Wii U, or vice verse (which also happened to come around in 2015, a very significant year). I'm just spit-balling, though.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
Do you guys think we’ll see remakes of both Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie at some point? Given the success of the Crash N-Sane Trilogy and how well the Spyro Reignited Trilogy is looking to be.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I know this has been discussed to death and even I get sick of talking about it sometimes, But when Rare, Nintendo and Microsoft get brought up all the time, Microsoft gets all the blame that they ruined Rare, which I partially agree ,But the way I see it all 3 companies are to blame for this current outcome, Microsoft was barely getting into the video game industry and was buying out studios left and right, But mishandled Rare, I don't know what happened internally at Rare ,But from the sounds of it the studio was having problem with employees and overworking them which caused them to lose a lot of talent and Nintendo should of just bought the rest of Rare's remaining stock when the oppurtunity came up, They had first dibs ,But still declined to do so, I don't care what anyone says, Studios always have turnover and some of that talent can be replaced, I just really hate the fact that they passed up the oppurtunity to own Rare's IP's not to mention if Rare wasn't up to the task, Nintendo could of outsource them to other internal teams throughout the company, Also Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare characters would have been in Smash Bros by now and we wouldn't have to be in the middle of this rally for them to squeeze into Ultimate.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
As much as I would like for Nintendo to own it, Microsoft has no reason to sell it, Their not in need of cash or in having financial problems, not to mention competitors don't just sell IP's away to rivals, It's all about power and ownership, Rare is unfortunately in a weird limbo situation where Microsoft doesn't really know what to do with their IP's ,But have been slowly outsourcing them to other developers that can hopefully do justice with them, Killer Instinct did "well" and Battletoads looks like is next in line ,But part of that problem is Microsoft's because back when they started the Xbox brand and acquired Rare, They should have prioritized in really pushing Rare's franchises and reestablishing them especially Banjo-Kazooie (Rare's biggest original IP)and try to lure Nintendo's audience to get Xbox's ,But they poured all their resources into the Halo franchise and not much else on the Original Xbox and that unfortunately pretty much formed the identity and demographic of the Xbox Brand, (Shooters, Sports, Mature games)So a lot of Rare's catalog other than Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct don't appeal to that demographic and to this very day that's what the Xbox brand is still associated with, So in the end Microsoft failed to take advantage of the Rare acquisition and here they are stuck with a bunch of great IP's that appeal way more to the Nintendo audience and even if they did make a damn good Banjo-Kazooie it wouldn't sell that well and do ok at best on an Xbox console, Best case scenario Microsoft and Nintendo work out a deal to license Rare games on Nintendo's consoles where they will perform a lot better, But that's a pipe dream. Microsoft knows they mishandled Rare and failed to capatalize on their brand and legacy ,But I imagine they would rather let those IP's sit in the vault then admit they screwed up. That's why Microsoft only pushes Halo, Gears of War and Forza while Rare takes a backseat.
And we suffer for it. I hate that we live in a world where freaking Bubsy got a new game before Banjo-Kazooie. WHO ASKED FOR A BUBSY GAME AND HOW SHALL THEY DIE?! Also, it really irritates me seeing all these old mascot franchises get renewed like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, meanwhile the one game series I really love gets freaking murdered because of some stupid company bs. If Banjo-Kazooie don't get a place in the Smash roster or a new game, I will never forgive Microsoft OR Nintendo for killing my all-time favorite video game characters. They NEED to be in this game. I can't see them coming back any other way.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
It also irritates me because all of my friends around me have gotten their favorite characters and franchises into Smash, Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Ryu, freaking Cloud Strife, and now even Simon Belmont all get in and my friends are happy. Meanwhile, I'm twiddling my thumbs waiting for the two characters who should've been in Smash AGES ago. It's just not fair, to us the fans, or to the characters of Banjo & Kazooie. They're incredible characters with tons of personality, their games were big sellers, they'd fit in way more than any of those Fire Emblem characters and especially someone like Cloud Strife and would be much more appreciated in Smash than any of them. They need this game. They need it. We need it. Please Sakurai, bring them home!!!

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
And we suffer for it. I hate that we live in a world where freaking Bubsy got a new game before Banjo-Kazooie. WHO ASKED FOR A BUBSY GAME AND HOW SHALL THEY DIE?! Also, it really irritates me seeing all these old mascot franchises get renewed like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, meanwhile the one game series I really love gets freaking murdered because of some stupid company bs. If Banjo-Kazooie don't get a place in the Smash roster or a new game, I will never forgive Microsoft OR Nintendo for killing my all-time favorite video game characters. They NEED to be in this game. I can't see them coming back any other way.
If anything is going to convince Microsoft to revive B&K, it'll definitely be the publicity from Smash and the number of new fans that will want a revival, so I think you're right on this. They'd also be revived with the company they had their prime with. C'mon, it's too perfect.

Isaac and Golden Sun fans go through the same feeling of needing Smash to show the series' creators/owners that a new game is in demand. Heck, that's why I included the words that I did in my signature. You thought those polls of most wanted new game announcement were already notable before? Just wait until that franchise gets into Smash. That's all people will be talking about.

Otherwise, it may be a slow process of Microsoft testing the waters with Battletoads, Killer Instinct, etc. and hoping they like what they see. Even then, their in-house team at Rare may not be equipped nowadays to create a new Banjo-Kazooie game. Who knows if they'll feel like outsourcing it, either? Smash is the most convincing method for reading the room on demand, and it's a wake-up call for those like Microsoft to what people already want or will eventually want.

I'd bet a hefty wager that if the bear and bird are in, it'll start with the inclusion of non-DK Rare titles on the N64 Classic. It'll be the big special inclusion like how the SNES Classic had Star Fox 2. People will flock to it to play those games and Microsoft will see the gold mine right before their eyes.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
If anything is going to convince Microsoft to revive B&K, it'll definitely be the publicity from Smash and the number of new fans that will want a revival, so I think you're right on this. They'd also be revived with the company they had their prime with. C'mon, it's too perfect.

Isaac and Golden Sun fans go through the same feeling of needing Smash to show the series' creators/owners that a new game is in demand. Heck, that's why I included the words that I did in my signature. You thought those polls of most wanted new game announcement were already notable before? Just wait until that franchise gets into Smash. That's all people will be talking about.

Otherwise, it may be a slow process of Microsoft testing the waters with Battletoads, Killer Instinct, etc. and hoping they like what they see. Even then, their in-house team at Rare may not be equipped nowadays to create a new Banjo-Kazooie game. Who knows if they'll feel like outsourcing it, either? Smash is the most convincing method for reading the room on demand, and it's a wake-up call for those like Microsoft to what people already want or will eventually want.

I'd bet a hefty wager that if the bear and bird are in, it'll start with the inclusion of non-DK Rare titles on the N64 Classic. It'll be the big special inclusion like how the SNES Classic had Star Fox 2. People will flock to it to play those games and Microsoft will see the gold mine right before their eyes.
Especially on their twentieth anniversary, I mean c'mon, the only thing Microsoft/Rare did to celebrate was a Sea of Thieves t-shirt and some figurines? Give me a break. We want a remaster of the original games or their inclusion in Smash. Anything less is just pathetic. And if they don't get into the base game, they should be among the first characters announced for DLC post game, especially next year for Smash's 20th anniversary.

And I sincerely hope Issac makes it in, another universe to add to Smash and the fact that he's the next biggest character on the ballot warrants the idea that the ballot is being used to choose characters this time around and hopefully after Issac and maybe Geno, Banjo & Kazooie make it in!

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Sometimes I ask myself "Why did it have to happen this way? of all gaming studios that it could happen to why did it have to happen to Nintendo's greatest 2nd Party developer in Rare"? That's why I'm rallying so hard for Banjo-Kazooie to make it into Smash since it's actually a possibility, This is the closest thing we can get that makes it seem like they came back on Nintendo systems and interact with other Nintendo All-Stars where they belong, seeing how we should not be expecting game in the near future. I really honestly do think this is their last shot at any redemption or relevancy and hope they make the roster because if they don't, Then that's it for me... That would be the last nail in the coffin for the franchise and any hope for the future will be lost for me since this will be the Smash game to end all Smash games and we won't get the next one in a long time and we aren't getting a new game either from the looks of it anytime soon, Plus I'm sick of begging and emotionally draining myself from teases. I will just have to live with playing and appreciating the first 2 games. If a new one does comes out in the future then good I will definitely check out, But I won't be wasting my time begging Microsoft/Rare for one or anticipating one soon, If it happens then it will happen.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
https://i.redd.it/stdxc741aog11.png

This image right here gives me the most hope. With the likes of King K. Rool, Wolf, Roy, the Inklings, Snake, the Ice Climbers, Cloud Strife, and Bayonetta confirmed, along with Ridley of all characters, and Ashley, Krystal, and even Shovel Knight confirmed as Assist Trophies, Issac, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Magalor, Paper Mario, Geno, & Banjo-Kazooie are the highest-voted characters in Japan and the U.S. If Issac and Geno make it in, I hope that means Banjo & Kazooie are right around the corner.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
https://i.redd.it/stdxc741aog11.png

This image right here gives me the most hope. With the likes of King K. Rool, Wolf, Roy, the Inklings, Snake, the Ice Climbers, Cloud Strife, and Bayonetta confirmed, along with Ridley of all characters, and Ashley and Krystal confirmed as Assist Trophies, Issac, Bandanna Waddle Dee, Magalor, Paper Mario, Geno, & Banjo-Kazooie are the highest-voted characters in Japan and the U.S. If Issac and Geno make it in, I hope that means Banjo & Kazooie are right around the corner.
You wouldn't happen to know what poll or ballot that this is based on or how current it is? I imagine it's from not long ago seeing how K.Rool and Ridley were some of the most requested and made the roster.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Especially on their twentieth anniversary, I mean c'mon, the only thing Microsoft/Rare did to celebrate was a Sea of Thieves t-shirt and some figurines? Give me a break. We want a remaster of the original games or their inclusion in Smash. Anything less is just pathetic. And if they don't get into the base game, they should be among the first characters announced for DLC post game, especially next year for Smash's 20th anniversary.

And I sincerely hope Issac makes it in, another universe to add to Smash and the fact that he's the next biggest character on the ballot warrants the idea that the ballot is being used to choose characters this time around and hopefully after Issac and maybe Geno, Banjo & Kazooie make it in!
Reminds me of how Capcom was treating Mega Man not too long ago. The 25th anniversary was just merchandise and a literal fangame they lazily licensed. Yikes.

Isaac and Golden Sun really need Smash. At least Microsoft seems to be slowly dipping into some of their inactive IPs and could be convinced by the critical acclaim and nostalgia of the B&K titles. Camelot has literally said that demand is key for a new Golden Sun. It's safer for them to make returns on an easy to make and easy to sell Mario Sports title, rather than a new Golden Sun which requires a lot more effort and time as an RPG with a story. Smash is what will convince them of such demand and probably nothing else at this point.

A lot of fanbases are willing to lend their support to other characters since we're all in the same boat of anxiousness right now. Geno was especially kind to Isaac and K. Rool has been kind to both Isaac and Banjo. I think for whoever gets in first between Isaac and Banjo, I'd love for that fanbase to join in on the effort to get the other some support and publicity for the future of their franchise. Both could use some help through the adversity they've faced.

You wouldn't happen to know what poll or ballot that this is based on or how current it is? I imagine it's from not long ago seeing how K.Rool and Ridley were some of the most requested and made the roster.
Here you go.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Yooka-Laylee is awful and they should by no means give Playtonic keys to the kingdom. That’s like suggesting the Color Splash team have a go at remaking TTYD.
Yooka gets too much Great Mighty poop than it deserves. A little rough around the edges, but it wasn't enough to keep it from my top 2 spot of PS4 games just behind Shovel Knight. While it's maybe not the best game, I honestly prefer it over Super Mario Odyssey in terms of how you collect things. As unpolished as Yooka is, at least I felt I was earning my pagies and not constantly kicking rocks, ground pounding, waiting for a bird nearby, wooing a Goombette, or just simply finding a moon without any sort of challenge behind it. Simply put, Odyssey disappointed me more.

A Hat in Time beats both though.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Reminds me of how Capcom was treating Mega Man not too long ago. The 25th anniversary was just merchandise and a literal fangame they lazily licensed. Yikes.

Isaac and Golden Sun really need Smash. At least Microsoft seems to be slowly dipping into some of their inactive IPs and could be convinced by the critical acclaim and nostalgia of the B&K titles. Camelot has literally said that demand is key for a new Golden Sun. It's safer for them to make returns on an easy to make and easy to sell Mario Sports title, rather than a new Golden Sun which requires a lot more effort and time as an RPG with a story. Smash is what will convince them of such demand and probably nothing else at this point.

A lot of fanbases are willing to lend their support to other characters since we're all in the same boat of anxiousness right now. Geno was especially kind to Isaac and K. Rool has been kind to both Isaac and Banjo. I think for whoever gets in first between Isaac and Banjo, I'd love for that fanbase to join in on the effort to get the other some support and publicity for the future of their franchise. Both could use some help through the adversity they've faced.

Here you go.
Oh, I actually recall seeing this poll and pie chart before, But I've seen so many before I didn't know which was from what, But seeing this comforts me and I really hope this is as close as the 2015 ballot's results were.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

Here you go.
Thanks ThoughtfulWanderer, I knew there was a file for that information. The only problem with this thing is the inclusion of Isabelle, she's a wild card on every front! Not only is she not anywhere on that ballot form, she's not even an Echo Fighter in game! That's not to say I don't mind her, I actually think she's super cute! But even though she's popular, she's not someone the fans voted for it looks like. So her inclusion definitely throws things for a loop. I'm hoping Issac and Geno get confirmed if only to confirm that ballot is still the deciding factor for most of the newcomers.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Thanks ThoughtfulWanderer, I knew there was a file for that information. The only problem with this thing is the inclusion of Isabelle, she's a wild card on every front! Not only is she not anywhere on that ballot form, she's not even an Echo Fighter in game! That's not to say I don't mind her, I actually think she's super cute! But even though she's popular, she's not someone the fans voted for it looks like. So her inclusion definitely throws things for a loop. I'm hoping Issac and Geno get confirmed if only to confirm that ballot is still the deciding factor for most of the newcomers.
The fact that Banjo & Kazooie are the highest requested third-party characters even more than Snake returning has got to say something to Sakurai, Nintendo, and Microsoft. I really hope they get in, either as base game characters or DLC.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Though Animal Crossing isn't really my cup of tea, I don't mind her getting in and her character and her fighting style is pretty adorable, But it also shows that not every newcomer is from the ballot, I'm sure Nintendo tries to tie in some newcomers to promote future releases like Animal Crossing in 2019 with Isabelle.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Isabelle was going to get in somehow. Way too much of an icon and marketable character for modern Nintendo to ignore. That being said, she's only one non-ballot inclusion (Simon is debatable) thus far and she isn't even fully unique. Sakurai has to market the game to more than just hardcore Smash fans and ballot voters, after all. There will still be room for Isaac and Geno, even after the likely inclusion of Incineroar/a Gen 7 Pokemon, because I don't at all believe in that box theory.

Another Smash direct gives a lot of potential for another highly voted fanservice character or two. There's a real possibility Isaac and Geno could both show up there. Even if one of them miss out, DLC will probably be announced very quickly on (perhaps even before the game launches) and they could be one of the first characters revealed for it. Maybe even Banjo & Kazooie could be shown right away for that and be that surprise for the final direct we all hope we'll see.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Isabelle was going to get in somehow. Way too much of an icon and marketable character for modern Nintendo to ignore. That being said, she's only one non-ballot inclusion (Simon is debatable) thus far and she isn't even fully unique. Sakurai has to market the game to more than just hardcore Smash fans and ballot voters, after all. There will still be room for Isaac and Geno, even after the likely inclusion of Incineroar/a Gen 7 Pokemon, because I don't at all believe in that box theory.

Another Smash direct gives a lot of potential for another highly voted fanservice character or two. There's a real possibility Isaac and Geno could both show up there. Even if one of them miss out, DLC will probably be announced very quickly on (perhaps even before the game launches) and they could be one of the first characters revealed for it. Maybe even Banjo & Kazooie could be shown right away for that and be that surprise for the final direct we all hope we'll see.
Yeah I'll feel much better when we get a Smash-centric direct and hopefully both Issac & Geno show up there. But thanks guys, it makes me feel a lot better knowing so many people want the bear and bird in. If anything, at least I know I'm not alone in that aspect lol

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I know this has been discussed to death and even I get sick of talking about it sometimes, But when Rare, Nintendo and Microsoft get brought up all the time, Microsoft gets all the blame that they ruined Rare, which I partially agree ,But the way I see it all 3 companies are to blame for this current outcome, Microsoft was barely getting into the video game industry and was buying out studios left and right, But mishandled Rare, I don't know what happened internally at Rare ,But from the sounds of it the studio was having problem with employees and overworking them which caused them to lose a lot of talent and Nintendo should of just bought the rest of Rare's remaining stock when the oppurtunity came up, They had first dibs ,But still declined to do so, I don't care what anyone says, Studios always have turnover and some of that talent can be replaced, I just really hate the fact that they passed up the oppurtunity to own Rare's IP's not to mention if Rare wasn't up to the task, Nintendo could of outsource them to other internal teams throughout the company, Also Banjo-Kazooie and other Rare characters would have been in Smash Bros by now and we wouldn't have to be in the middle of this rally for them to squeeze into Ultimate.
Overworking is a big problem in the gaming industry not exclusive to Rare. In fact Nintendo overwork their staff. I have a friend, named Ken Watanabe, who worked as the graphics programmer on Splatoon. If what he is saying is correct, he never had a proper holiday from the beginning of the 10 years he started at Nintendo, although I don't know if that was his choice or that the work holidays are short in Japan. He left at the end of Splatoon's development and took a big sabbatical in Europe and that's how I met him. He seems very cynical about Nintendo. He currently works on his own as an indie developer. At one stage he wanted to work at Rare Ltd, but our stupid work visa system makes it difficult for non-Europeans to get into the UK. EA and Ubisoft are also big offenders of overworking their staff. I have been overworked when I was a software engineer at various companies and I'm sure at Microsoft the staff can be overworked there too.
I mostly blame Rare when the Microsoft-Nintendo-Rare argument comes up. Rare could never make a game on schedule and Nintendo didn't like that. We know that Nintendo had stopped funding Goldeneye for a while because the game was always being delayed. We know Banjo Kazooie got delayed and Diddy Kong Racing was released in its place. In fact Rare self-published quite a lot of what they developed during the N64 era. I reckon this happened because Nintendo didn't want to fund these projects cause Rare had the tendency to go over budget. So when it came to buying Rare, Nintendo already had experience with how Rare is run and were not interested in buying the remaining stock. Although I can't explain Yamauchi's change of mind at the last minute. Rare-Nintendo are a good partnership if you care about playing fun games, Rare-Microsoft is a good partnership cause Microsoft have the resources to bankroll Rare.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Top Bottom