• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
If E3 and the August Smash direct is any indication, Is that they average 2 major newcomers with a couple of echos in each Smash heavy presentation(even though Inkling was the first newcomer in the teaser back in March's Nintendo direct, But was fully unvield at E3) Also yesterday's Nintendo direct is very likely the last one of the year until January and Newcomers have so far only been unvield in directs and nothing else.

- June (E3): Inkling and Ridley

- July: Nothing, Not surprising because E3 just happened.

- August (Smash Direct): King K. Rool and Belmont

- September (Nintendo Direct): Isabelle

- October: ? (I personally don't think there will be any Smash Direct this month, too soon, but that doesn't mean something can happen and be revealed without one or just some minor Smash news update)

- November (Smash Direct) (Likely): 2 or 3 newcomer reveals with a couple of echos, I imagine 1 of those newcomers has gotta be a big one. "Single Player/New mode" finally revealed along with online multiplayer modes and extra single player modes discussed (All-Star, event matches, etc)

- December: Launch

Last edited:

cybersai

Smash Ace
Honestly I don't think Banjo is on the base roster. Third party characters are usually hyped up ahead of time, look at how early Megaman and Pacman were revealed for Smash U, and how they got Simon's reveal out early.

I think Banjo is very possible for DLC. But I don't think he's coming now with limited newcomers left. Hopefully support for him for being a big early DLC pick is huge though.

Vilain

Smash Cadet
Realistically they kind of are in competition, because at the end of the day not everyone's favorites are going to make it in, you can't please everyone, Some will be prioritized over others, Plus for newcomers, We already have Inkling, Ridley, K.Rool, Belmont, Isabelle even if she is a semi clone, that's already 5 slots, there can only be so many since the roster is jam packed as it is and characters so far only get unveiled in Nintendo directs and Smash directs, Today's Nintendo direct is likely the last one until January and we just had a Smash direct in August, sure there can probably be one in October , But I'm sure we can all agree that we will have one last big Smash direct in November, if there is (Best case scenario) 2 Smash directs left we can expect at least 2-4 reveals with a couple of echos to close out the base since we are less than 3 months until release and then anything extra would be DLC for later on.
They are in a kind of competition, but as a semi-clone Isabelle didn't took that much dev time imo. I think this isn't really "one character against another", this is more intricate than that.

Last edited:

spoilerowl

Smash Journeyman
The next Smash Direct (which is basically a given) will cover all of the remaining newcomers, online multiplayer, Spirits mode, and anything else that hasn't been covered yet. There's a chance we'll get a Robin-esque reveal before then but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm predicting late October for it. What a lot of people are forgetting is that if we go into November, the risk of a roster leak increases exponentially when at that point we are only a month out from release. I think Sakurai is conscious of that, which is why I think late October is the best time-frame.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If you subscribe to Verge, one could say Isabelle increases Banjo's chances; cause if I remember correctly; he talked about Isabelle getting in as well as the whole "Minecraft in Smash" thing. I personally don't think he's infallible; but that's certainly somthing Banjo supporters should keep in mind if they want sources of hope.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
What do y’all think of egg type switching? I saw someone suggest here that it be on Shield+Special like Inkling’s Ink Charge.

I think that’d be fun. Would make B-K’s projectile game very versitile. Can pepper them with blue eggs, blow them away with a Grenade Egg, or edge guard with a Clockwork Kazooie by taking it off stage.

scoobymcsnack

Smash Journeyman
Never played the games but they would make a lot of people happy, and generate enough hype rivaling Sonic, Mega Man, Snake, and Cloud. Count me in as a supporter!

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Y’all think there could be a Flap Flip in Banjo’s kit? Maybe as the Up Smash. Hits anyone along the path of the flip. Ori from Rivals of Aether has an up smash like that. Would work.

Last edited:

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
My bet is that we are getting few newcomers, but heavy hitters. In March they confirmed the Inklings, paving the way for new fighters. At E3, the concept of echoes was explained opening the door to even more characters and the huge fan favourite Ridley made it. Just two months from there another one in the form of K. Rool, along with Simon and new echoes. And now, a month later, Isabelle in a general Direct mostly to tie in with AC Switch, nothing groundbreaking but popular enough, just keeping momentum.

In November we will most likely see the final Smash Direct, going all out with the Spirits mode and all the remaining characters. But who could make such a good last boom? Banjo is just the perfect choice, a totally unexpected character from a long lost beloved franchise with strong roots with Nintendo whose chances were thought to be none. If Nintendo was bold enough to approach Square Enix for Cloud, a character whose game marked the departure of Final Fantasy from Nintendo consoles, asking Microsoft for Banjo is just as possible.

Let's not forget Microsoft is willing to lend him. The ball is on Nintendo's roof, will they try to make the extra effort? Years ago it would be unthinkable, but now seeing Ridley, Simon, Cloud and K. Rool, it's a whole new story.

PS I personally think they don't have as many chances as DLC, if NIntendo wants to make a big splash with their inclusion, the moment is NOW. DLC is the aftermath, the game has to be promoted before it releases. Smash 4 was really weird in that aspect though... Anyway, for that reason I believe Ultimate's DLC will be focused more towards recent characters who had no chance during development like a Gen 8 pokemon or Rex and Pyra and smaller but surely good ones to fill in.

Last edited:

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
Really my biggest disappointment wasn't Isabelle, but the fact the 103 stage thing hasn't been disproven. Kinda cuts down on potential newcomers if we still don't know if there are anynew franchises allowed to show up.

But really i don't believe in the notion a character being in the base game is somehow a bigger splash than being DLC. Like imagine somebody who likes Banjo just sees the final roster and it doesn't have Banjo. What are they not gonna notice when he gets announced as a DLC character? If Banjo is DLC he will still appeal to everyone who wants him, Banjo fans arent abandoning the game after base. The splash size seems pretty much the same either way to me.

You could argue they gotta advertise him beforehand to hype the game, but thats under the assumption the game's sales will be lower without him, and we all know Smash is selling 10 million copies no matter what characters are in the base at this point.

The only guess i have about how his splash could be bigger in the base game is that a bunch of little kids, parents who don't know how to buy dlc, and nongamers who barely play who have never heard of him might see him there. But does that really matter? Advertising a character they don't own and will never use again to casual fans in the base roster sounds like it has no bigger splash than just putting him in DLC, where the people who are really dedicated to Smash are going to see him anyway.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Think of it this way, if Banjo is DLC, he'll be THE biggest character for DLC. I can't think of any other third party character more requested than Banjo (besides Geno, and I think he may be on the base roster), and to see him get the same treatment Ryu, Cloud and Bayonetta got in Smash U would be great.

Sure we'd have to wait a little longer for Banjo after the game releases, but we'd get him regardless. If there really is no new stages, Banjo would obviously get one with DLC, tons of music tracks, the works. I'm pulling for him to be a DLC pick, so i won't be too disappointed if he's not in the base game.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'll be a little more at ease if they do in fact confirm that there is going to be DLC. As it stands right now it's completely possible that there may not be DLC for this game. Sure, they'd be dumb to not do it, but being dumb and not doing the obvious thing is kinda synonymous with Nintendo, y'know?

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
That's what I have also been saying all along, Everyone is pretty confident that there will be DLC, As am I, But a part of me does think that the game is so jam packed as it is since they brought everyone back, DLC would be going overboard and Sakurai has said not to expect too many newcomers we don't know if he's bluffing or not, But from a business perspective it would be really stupid to not take advantage of the user base since this game is gonna sell gangbusters maybe even 10 million range, even just getting a cut of that user base would be huge, But I really do think there will be DLC at the end, It just makes too much sense.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
I could be in the minority here, but I just can't stomach the idea of the duo as dlc. To me, dlc has always been an extras deal, almost like an afterthought. Basically saying you weren't important enough to be included from the start and you don't deserve the honor of a hard copy release. It's a pretty big insult in my eyes, especially when you look into the future and realize that if something should happen to your system and there's no way to redownload them, they're gone forever. Also, on top of all that, if there is some sort of glorious story mode with amazing cutscenes waiting for us, I feel it would be beyond disappointing to know our lovable lugs couldn't take part in it. It just seems so wrong....

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
I could be in the minority here, but I just can't stomach the idea of the duo as dlc. To me, dlc has always been an extras deal, almost like an afterthought. Basically saying you weren't important enough to be included from the start and you don't deserve the honor of a hard copy release. It's a pretty big insult in my eyes, especially when you look into the future and realize that if something should happen to your system and there's no way to redownload them, they're gone forever. Also, on top of all that, if there is some sort of glorious story mode with amazing cutscenes waiting for us, I feel it would be beyond disappointing to know our lovable lugs couldn't take part in it. It just seems so wrong....
The thing is, part of the potential deal with Microsoft could've had them agree on Banjo & Kazooie joining only as DLC (and after Minecraft content if Verge is to believed).

Or because they're such popular characters and are third parties, Sakurai and Nintendo would be confident in their success even as post-launch content. It doesn't mean they're an afterthought. It just means that with the limited dev time and resources there are (I believe the December 7th launch was Nintendo hurrying them along to fill an otherwise dry holiday season), they probably would have to set some pieces aside.

It can never be an insult to have these two playable on a Nintendo console again, even if it's done a little later on.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I don't like the idea of banjo as DLC for THIS reason YEARS & YEARS later when you can no longer buy banjo as "DLC" you better hope you don't break or lose your switch EVER ! B/C there will be no way to play as him again! lost forever! but if he is in base game you can always just buy a cart online & BOOM banjo is there !

& smash 64 is the ONLY smash game to get rereleased on VC not even melee has done this & the licensing costs would likely mean they will never rerelease ultimate on VC in the feuter & nintendo don't do game of the year aditions

BANJO MUST BE BASE GAME !

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I agree, I'm sure everyone here would love them to make the base roster, Also so we can get a badass cinematic trailer of their grand return, Plus they would get a lot more exposure too, But realistically they could be a late inclusion unless they were top rank in the 2015 ballot and who knows what kind of deal Nintendo and Microsoft had to work out, I would absolutely love and prefer it if they make the base, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if they are DLC, as long as they get in that's all that really matters in the end because considering their situation, Were lucky they are even a possibility.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think Banjo-Kazooie is the better character but Masterchief would bring more hype and new fans. He is Microsoft's top IP. Banjo-Kazooie works better in Smash and is still remembered as more of a Nintendo series so I see them being the perfect fit and I want them in the game. Banjo and Rayman are my most wanted third party characters after a second Sonic character.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I don't like the idea of banjo as DLC for THIS reason YEARS & YEARS later when you can no longer buy banjo as "DLC" you better hope you don't break or lose your switch EVER ! B/C there will be no way to play as him again! lost forever! but if he is in base game you can always just buy a cart online & BOOM banjo is there !

& smash 64 is the ONLY smash game to get rereleased on VC not even melee has done this & the licensing costs would likely mean they will never rerelease ultimate on VC in the feuter & nintendo don't do game of the year aditions

BANJO MUST BE BASE GAME !
I partially agree here, the push for digital games frightens me, for reasons like this but in this day and age, every triple A game eventually gets a reprint with all the DLC included, so I'm not worried about Smash Banjo being lost to the sands of time.

Actually, I almost feel like the future of the series should just be updated ports of Ultimate unless by some miracle, the next game won't have any cuts either,

RedDragon64

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-8521-4195-4716
How do I become a supporter???
For Banjo And Rayman
Them Geno, Joker, Isaac, And Billy Hatcher Are I most wanted fighters

shellshocker18

Smash Apprentice
I guess Banjo being nondownloadable 15 years from now sucks in its own way, but thats no reason to not have DLC characters now. And honestly if you cared that much, people do preserve DLC and you could just pirate it down the line. I do agree Smash Ultimate probably never be rereleased due to the licensing nightmare it has become. But then again all Nintendo's roms will forever be preserved and they can't really do anythimg about it.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think Banjo-Kazooie is the better character but Masterchief would bring more hype and new fans. He is Microsoft's top IP. Banjo-Kazooie works better in Smash and is still remembered as more of a Nintendo series so I see them being the perfect fit and I want them in the game. Banjo and Rayman are my most wanted third party characters after a second Sonic character.
Master Chief without a doubt is a gaming icon, But I don't know if he will bring that big of a following audience to Smash, Considering it's a different demographic who would lean more towards shooters, No doubt there would be hype, but Smash mainly appeals to Nintendo's audience and I personally don't think Xbox gamers are going to run and get Switches for his inclusion, While a different beast, Smash is a fighting game that appeals to certain fans and while it's not as big, Arbiter from Halo made it in Killer Instinct and while it was cool, it could only keep Halo fans attention for so long, Without a doubt, Banjo-Kazooie is a much better fit and appeals to Nintendo's audience a lot more.

Last edited:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
How do I become a supporter???
For Banjo And Rayman
Them Geno, Joker, Isaac, And Billy Hatcher Are I most wanted fighters
You just did :)
All you have to do to be a supporter is request to be one while in the main thread of the character of your choice.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket yes every triple A game gets a reprint with DLC exept nintendo otherwise where is the smash wiiu GOTY edition ? yeah nintendo don't care about that :/

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
thirsty-pocket thirsty-pocket yes every triple A game gets a reprint with DLC exept nintendo otherwise where is the smash wiiu GOTY edition ? yeah nintendo don't care about that :/
To be fair it was on Wii U, the last of the DLC came out at the end of 2015 if I'm not mistaken, by 2016 it was already a dead system. Like you said Nintendo doesn't really do GOTY editions and they wouldn't really bother since they overvalue their own content and would rather you pay full price for everything instead of like Sony or Microsoft.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So…
20th Anniversary…
• Fast 4 figures made for BK
• Freaking arbys even made a joke type of celebration for BK in a tweet
• A hat in time officiall for BK and not just a mod
• A plush coming in october, store exclusive but whatever…
• Nintendo still hasn't shown their love for the character in some shape or form…
• October has halloween, and even if i dont believe in themed chances or anything… BK has a witch as a villain… it fits the theme of the month regardless… Hell it would be crazy if we get a dual reveal (not same trailer necessarily) of Skull kid and Banjo Kazooie for that month…

yeah… It would be sacrilege if Nintendo says nothing or does nothing BK related if so many things are going on with their anniversary this time…

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Idk why but this direct made me feel less positive about banjo's chances, them not throwing in an echo and only showing 1 newcomer concerns me, Im thinking the roster is a tight squeeze but the minecraft content does give me hope. The square enix rep from verge decreases that hope with the tight squeeze though and realistically I think they are getting in the base roster if they are going to get in, dlc is possible but I really find it unlikely for BK, they would be a ballot main roster pick if anything. Guess well have to see if they drop another newcomer this month or 2 next month, if they do that or reveal the square enix rep in oct. then I think we have a shot still.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I mean, why would they? Banjo isn't their character anymore.
Neither are the companies who have shown love to the character so far, lol. Don't make "owning" a rule/requirement

Last edited:

Hodin

Smash Apprentice
I always felt like 70 non echo characters was a great swinging past the knees goal but possibly 72. No matter what, Smash Ultimate is literally a love letter to gaming. I honestly could see them updating this game for 2 years after release. I would honestly be okay if Ultimate stayed the base game and updated forever.

Attachments

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
If there’s just one slot left before DLC (which isn’t a given since Sakurai said there’d be a “few more” echoes) the best bet would be to give it to Banjo. He’s the best final announcent they could hope for.

Edit: (Apparently Sakurai said a few more fighters, it being during the echo section wasn’t important. Still, it’s very possible the mock up box designer doesn’t know all the characters. After all, there’s no Isabelle.)

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So…
20th Anniversary…
• Fast 4 figures made for BK
• Freaking arbys even made a joke type of celebration for BK in a tweet
• A hat in time officiall for BK and not just a mod
• A plush coming in october, store exclusive but whatever…
• Nintendo still hasn't shown their love for the character in some shape or form…
• October has halloween, and even if i dont believe in themed chances or anything… BK has a witch as a villain… it fits the theme of the month regardless… Hell it would be crazy if we get a dual reveal (not same trailer necessarily) of Skull kid and Banjo Kazooie for that month…

yeah… It would be sacrilege if Nintendo says nothing or does nothing BK related if so many things are going on with their anniversary this time…
It's all about company image, whether we like it or not, They are Xbox characters, even though everyone considers them Nintendo Characters including myself, Nintendo is the face of the gaming industry with all of their iconic franchises and only really likes to mention their own most of the time, Nintendo really has no reason to market them since they no longer own them, at most they would do is a very subtle reference, I'm sure they respect Banjo-Kazooie ,but since they are no longer affiliated with the franchise, I think they would like to just keep their association with it in the past.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Apparently an Amazon listing said Smash Ultimate has 71 fighters in it, if that's anything to actually go by then we have 3 unique's left to be revealed.. this number doesn't include Echoes btw. I still think Banjo is making the base roster...

Geno
Banjo
Isaac or Skull Kid

For unique fighters imo.

Dixie
Black Knight
Shadow
Ken
Impa

For Echoes.

I'm sticking with my choices. I'm confident Banjo is making the base roster.. if he doesn't well I can live with being wrong.

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Don't believe in the Amazon listing or the Ultimate LE box, guys. The former just hasn't updated to account for Isabelle's reveal (there was 71 before if you include echoes but count Pokemon Trainer as one, which the Smash website did). The latter doesn't make sense given that we're still due for another Smash direct and the prior one alone revealed five characters.

We're not getting leaks this way, not with how secretive they are this time.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Hmm. I think of the three floated options for the last reveal Banjo is the most hype. Plus it's the biggest feat of the 3 in terms of licensing. A more momentous thing. If there are only 2 left in the base game, I'd bet Banjo would be the last original. Number 69. Fitting.

Last edited:

ShaunoftheRed

Smash Cadet
Will this be their first Nintendo appearance since GR if they're in? That's kinda a big deal. As far as Microsoft newcomers go, they only really have Steve to compete with. But since I can see Steve being an assist trophy I like their chances.

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット
Will this be their first Nintendo appearance since GR if they're in? That's kinda a big deal. As far as Microsoft newcomers go, they only really have Steve to compete with. But since I can see Steve being an assist trophy I like their chances.
I believe thats true, unless there's some oddball cameo I'm forgetting.

I really don't even want to see Steve... I myself once loved Minecraft and while I understand it still has a playerbase it's far from the spotlight at the moment. I would love to think a game that has been long remembered as a creative and lovable series wouldn't be shafted in favor of a series that was simply one of recent history's most prominent trends.

As a bit of a tangent, losing Donkey Kong Racing on GCN still really ****ing hurts.

Last edited:
Top Bottom