• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Actually Rare Remade Diddy Kong Racing for the DS not nintendo, nintendo just puplished it, if nintendo did a 3DS remake they would most likely have retro or the team that remade the Zelda 64 games do it & improve the game in a similar way to those games (as long as miyamoto keeps his A** away from it)

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I find that hard to believe, JonSmash JonSmash , given how all the physics changes, the wall-free custom tracks and the shoot yourself in the backside red rocket "upgrade" feel incredibly Mario Kart inspired. Plus, why would Rare plaster Diddy's face on every wall (just about) when they never intended for it to be a DK game?

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
its not hard to believe Rare remade it & Nintendo published it & diddy kong was the star so of course he would plaster his face everywhere

volbound1700

Smash Master
I was watching an off-topic direct about the potential adventure mode and it is starting to make sense. A lot of development has probably went into this "Spirit Modes" so several high demand characters are probably being held off for DLC as the focus is on the game itself. We are likely getting a slew of DLC characters and content after game release.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
With crappy MOBAs and Overwatch being the massive successes that they are, I'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't seen a Smash Bros style crossover in the form of a champion shooter from Microsoft yet. Shooters are their signature genre and would be a massive twist on the mascot fighter concept.

Plus, Banjo weiding Kazooie to face off against Master Chief in a semi-gritty shooter would be pretty hilarious.
Crossover Shooter? That would be terrible! No, I would want it to be more like Smash Bros. Making it into a Shooter could cut the number of possible characters too much and wouldn't feel right. I would be very upset if that was the direction Microsoft went.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Your comments don't refute my argument. Also Conker's first appearance was in Diddy Kong racing and he was originally intended to be a normal kid friendly character and Rare made an abrupt change in his development so I know your comment is wrong on that account. Rare had planned to use the other characters in new series or existing series and develop all of the characters in Diddy Kong racing.
No, that's not the case at all... Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Quest started development independently, and later RC Pro AM 64 became a thing, and for it, they plucked characters from Rare's other dev teams, Conker and Banjo, meanwhile the rest of the cast of RC Pro AM 64 was made up for RC Pro AM 64, and then even later, Diddy Kong was brought on and it became Diddy Kong Racing. Then Diddy Kong Racing had a shorter dev cycle and released prior to Banjo-Kazooie, and released prior to what Conker's Quest eventually became, Conker's Bad Fur Day. The other characters in Diddy Kong Racing were never planned for their own games.

D

Deleted member

No, that's not the case at all... Banjo-Kazooie and Conker's Quest started development independently, and later RC Pro AM 64 became a thing, and for it, they plucked characters from Rare's other dev teams, Conker and Banjo, meanwhile the rest of the cast of RC Pro AM 64 was made up for RC Pro AM 64, and then even later, Diddy Kong was brought on and it became Diddy Kong Racing. Then Diddy Kong Racing had a shorter dev cycle and released prior to Banjo-Kazooie, and released prior to what Conker's Quest eventually became, Conker's Bad Fur Day. The other characters in Diddy Kong Racing were never planned for their own games.
Unless you count the tiguer.

As far as i heard, he was planned to be the main character of Pro AM 64 before Diddy happened.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
So today I bring you 2 news my fellow friends, not so sure about the veracity of the first one (just pictures)

https://twitter.com/nervousnick/status/1051229027065827329

https://twitter.com/valex_456/status/1051193340119666689

Are Paul and Rare just messing with us or could we start expecting an announcement for threeie soon?
At first I wasn't sure what to make of the Tweets, and went on to other things. But looking back on this... the actual Rare twitter did make that comment, and Paul did comment about the easter egg thing. Now I'm just trying to process this and try to work out what it means. :psycho:

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
At first I wasn't sure what to make of the Tweets, and went on to other things. But looking back on this... the actual Rare twitter did make that comment, and Paul did comment about the easter egg thing. Now I'm just trying to process this and try to work out what it means. :psycho:
I wouldn't look into it too deep. I interpreted it as Paul playfully teasing the fans and then Rare responded with a playful telling off for baiting the fans. If there was a Banjo game in development, Grant Kirkhope would most likely be involved and Microsoft would have posted SDET jobs if it were mid completion.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I wouldn't look into it too deep. I interpreted it as Paul playfully teasing the fans and then Rare responded with a playful telling off for baiting the fans. If there was a Banjo game in development, Grant Kirkhope would most likely be involved and Microsoft would have posted SDET jobs if it were mid completion.
I won't be looking too deep, but it's also not nothing. There's playful teasing, but I'd consider this more mean teasing--if they have no plans, despite the fan demand, it's less playful and more cruel.

Also, seems like everything's at a crawl pace. Let's liven things up. What's your favorite memory from playing Banjo Kazooie/Tooie? Nairo reminded me of tons. The first time I flew with Kazooie was the first time I really felt in control of such a freedom of movement. And unlike Mario 64, it wasn't timed, so i could keep flying as long as I got feathers. Despite this freedom, they designed the game so well that it was still challenging, an underappreciated achievement in game design.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Favorote memory? I love the vastness of Click Clock Wood, and how what you do in earlier seasons affects the world later on. Not what one thinks of a final level before the final boss, but its such a great concept.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Favorote memory? I love the vastness of Click Clock Wood, and how what you do in earlier seasons affects the world later on. Not what one thinks of a final level before the final boss, but its such a great concept.
Despite that, Click Clock Wood is such a perfect "final level"--even when you think the game is almost done, nope, it's essentially four levels in one. It took me forever to get there because Rusty Bucket Bay was such a difficult level, and I took a break after getting frustrated. So finally getting to Click Clock Wood felt like an enormous achievement. I also loved how I found the puzzle for Click Clock Wood so early on--it was different than the others because I couldn't go on it to complete the puzzle--"how would I ever complete the puzzle?!" It was so shrouded in mystery and captivated me.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Hello everyone!

I'll make it short. When Nintendo decided to sell Rare to Microsoft, I was petrified. Banjo-Kazooie was one of the greatest Nintendo 64 games, and that says a lot. When I realised that meant Rare characters would never be in Smash, I felt really sad. I never had the chance to play Conker's Bad Fur Day, but I enjoyed Perfect Dark a lot. However, the most important where of course the bear and the bird.

Never in Smash... unless ?... During the ballot, I was tempted to vote for them, but thought it was a lost cause so I gave my vote to Skull Kid instead (and I don't regret it: he is still one of my favorites and needs support more than B&K). And now... now we hope!

So, add me tot the support list, please?

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Still unsure how to post Twitter media, but I found this cute. And it's so true--we need to have these friends back together.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
In a world where we have Crash N-Sane trilogy, and Yooka Laylee breaking records with crowdfunding, Microsoft/Rare has a way of respecting their old IP by at the very least remaking the original two games, as was planned before it became Nuts & Bolts. But now, even better.

(I'll settle for them only being in Smash though)
I honestly feel like if they just make it into Smash and that’s the last we see of them, I’d be satisfied.
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Still unsure how to post Twitter media, but I found this cute. And it's so true--we need to have these friends back together.
Awwww I love this!!! This is the dream!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I won't be looking too deep, but it's also not nothing. There's playful teasing, but I'd consider this more mean teasing--if they have no plans, despite the fan demand, it's less playful and more cruel.

Also, seems like everything's at a crawl pace. Let's liven things up. What's your favorite memory from playing Banjo Kazooie/Tooie? Nairo reminded me of tons. The first time I flew with Kazooie was the first time I really felt in control of such a freedom of movement. And unlike Mario 64, it wasn't timed, so i could keep flying as long as I got feathers. Despite this freedom, they designed the game so well that it was still challenging, an underappreciated achievement in game design.
Favorite memories? Hmm let me think...

In Banjo-Kazooie, I would have to say my favorite part is the final battle against Grunty. It was such an intense fight that proved to be difficult at time and the Jinjonator knocking Gruntilda off the edge was satisfying. Favorite worlds would have to be Mad Monster Mansion and Click Clock Wood.

Favorite memories from Tooie would have to be the boss battles in each world especially Weldar's fight. Another one would have to be finally beating that damn second Canary Mary race on the wind-up mouse. It took me forever to beat that stupid bird woman's race to get that Cheato page. So satisfying. My favorite world is Grunty Industries. Exploring all the floors of the factory and destroying security camera was fun and beating up the workers that go "AIEEEE" was a blast. Plus it was comical when you go around as the washing machine and killing enemies with laundry.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

I loved first entering Freezeezy Peak in Banjo-Kazooie and climbing to the top of the snowman and sledding down it’s scarf onto Boggy ^^

I also loved being able to stomp around as Daddy T. rex in Banjo-Tooie. Just the grandness of adventure in Tooie, trying to avenge our fallen friend and defeat the trio of witches was enthralling.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oupJbrSC3s4

Hey guys, I found this video by PapaGenos that was released yesterday. Basically, he goes over why Banjo-Kazooie is his second most-wanted character, and all the possible things that suggest they'd be in. The only thing I disagree with is that he thought Phil Spencer's comment would potentially break an NDA, but due to the question being "Would you allow them in" rather than "Are they in?", along with the incredibly simple answer, I don't feel like it'd be violating anything.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
My favourite memory about Banjo-Kazooie.... Pffff. I got plenty. The very first, I remember buying it with my brother at the mall. My mother left us some minutes in the gaming section to choose one an we take Banjo-Kazooie because it looked like cartoons, as Mario. I remember laughing so hard with Kazooie's sounds. And discovering that Kazooie is female was a surprise. You know, she's not pink or whatever. By then most of the videogames weren't translated to spanish so, as little kids, we got some problems with a whole text in english, so we discovered that Kazooie was a girl some time after. And of course, 'Grunty's Furnace Fun' was a shooting in the dark mostly, we could barely understand the questions. Banjo-Tooie was one of the first games I spected, we really enjoyed the first one, it was very funny and with charismatic characters. With the multiplayer and some friends the deathmatch mode in the mine map was something amazing. After N64 my brother quit of gaming but Banjo-Kazooie is still a link between us, we talk about it sometimes.
But Banjo and Kazooie are something very important for me, not only for nostalgia, it's deeper. I'm some kind of content creator with passion for the humor and cartoons, bear and bird style was an important piece in my personal growth as artist and even as a person: the jokes, the big eyes, the absurd worldbuilding... Banjo-Kazooie, among other very special pieces, showed me something which I wanna be part of it. With Banjo and Kazooie I'm in my zone, my home. It's not only one of the games I played as a kid, it's a very special something. Like Smash Bros.
I'm not backing them so much for Smash because I don't see the pair getting in as something easy, but if they enter in Smash it gonna be a blast for me, I will cry for sure.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
As big as Banjo-Kazooie fan I am, It may come as a surprise to mostly everyone that I didn't grow up with it like most of you, While I was aware of who they were during the N64 era, I unfortunately never go the chance to really play both games, My earliest memory of Banjo-Kazooie was when I was 5 back in 1998 and I believe I was at Funcoland (Now known as Gamestop) and my dad was buying me a game at the time and I had my sights set on Mario Kart 64, But my big sister showed me Banjo-Kazooie and while it did look fun and interesting, I still went with MK64 because Mario was all I really knew at the time, (Hey I was young) and later on around 2000-2001 I played Banjo-Tooie demo at a local video store too. While I don't regret picking up Mario Kart 64, I really wish I would have put Banjo-Kazooie more on my radar as a game to rent or buy. Console generations later and in Summer 2011 I was feeling really nostalgic for the N64 and I still have my original one from childhood stored in my room in a storage container with my Gamecube and older games, I decided to hunt for some other games I never got the chance to really play and replay some old favorites while I was at it, Then one day I went to a local video game store that had a Retro section and was digging through the N64 game shelf and there was mostly crap titles and old sports games ,But in that pile I found "Banjo-Kazooie" for $10 and said to myself "This is the one N64 game I always wanted to play, But never really got the chance and now here it is." I kind of had an idea what I was getting to since I grew up with Super Mario 64 and Donkey Kong 64, Plus I love 3D platformers and fun colorful characters so it was right up my alley. I absolutely fell in love with the game and especially Banjo-Kazooie as characters and after I beat it I was already aware that their was a sequel, So i went on a mission to hunt Banjo-Tooie I went to another local video game store and picked it up for about $17 and enjoyed the hell out of that one too.

My Top 3 favorite video game franchises of all time are Pokemon, Mario and Donkey Kong, in that order and are all well represented in Smash, If I had to rank Banjo-Kazooie I would put them 4th which is really good considering I didn't grow up with the series and put them just behind the 3 biggest franchises that I identify with most and grew up with it and that says a lot.

I have Banjo-Kazooie to thank for getting me back into Retro gaming, mainly the N64 and I always tell people if I can go back in time and choose a game that I never really played and have had a chance to grow up with it would be Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I had heard of Banjo Kazooie back when I was growing up and on Youtube occasionally but I never played the games up until 2015 actually when Xbox released Rare Replay. Once I bought that game I instantly played Banjo and fell in love. I 100% the whole game and beat Tooie but never 100% it for some reason. I've been rooting for Banjo ever since Smash 4 and I've been really hoping for Banjo in Smash and possibly a new Banjo game/remaster

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am a newcomer to Banjo-Kazooie and I still like Mario 64 better as a 3D Platformer but I really want Banjo & Kazooie in Smash as they fit the Smash theme very well and I respect the series. A remake would be amazing because my pains with Banjo-Kazooie was the poor lighting at times and the poor controls. However, it is probably like Ocarina for me in that I played other games before I gave it a shot. (For example I played through Twilight Princess before Ocarina so my impression of Ocarina, although great, wasn't the same as people who tried it in the 64 days). Similar experience with Banjo as I played Mario 64, Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2, Sonic Adventure 1 + 2, and other high graphic platformers before giving it a shot.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oupJbrSC3s4

Hey guys, I found this video by PapaGenos that was released yesterday. Basically, he goes over why Banjo-Kazooie is his second most-wanted character, and all the possible things that suggest they'd be in. The only thing I disagree with is that he thought Phil Spencer's comment would potentially break an NDA, but due to the question being "Would you allow them in" rather than "Are they in?", along with the incredibly simple answer, I don't feel like it'd be violating anything.
Yeah, it's really hard to say one way or the other what would constitute breaking an NDA without knowing what was in the actual agreement, if there was one. Also one thing that should have been brought up was that wasn't the only tweet--there was also the tweet where he went more in depth of how he would be willing to work with Nintendo to make it happen... in 2015... the same time as the ballot (which resulted in a surge of their popularity).

I loved the video, as he mentioned many things I've been saying for a long time. That Banjo-Kazooie took what made Mario 64 great and made it better (e.g., continuing the level after getting a jiggy, flight not timed but resource based, etc), was pretty much a Nintendo character at the time (as much as Pikachu was), their great moveset potential by just... taking what they do in the game fits perfectly into Smash as is. Only evidence I would add is when talking about the Totaku figures, it's strange Microsoft would go back to their N64 designs instead of their Microsoft versions this year. Great video, papagenos papagenos !

StormC

Smash Hero

Definitely entering Click Clock Wood for the first time. I remember finally getting to that world after the grueling Rusty Bucket Bay. Emerging in the spring section and hearing this music on a Sunday morning...

...and then later I had accidentally deleted my save file and had to start all over again. Of course, now I can easily run through the game in <10 hours, but at the tender age of 7, it seemed like a bigger deal. :p

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Ready for a Tuesday morning conspiracy theory? Well, Ive been looking at the new Banjo merch, and ive noticrd something noteworthy on BOTH the Totaku and the First 4 Figure.
Totaku-Figures-BanjoKazooie-Conker-2.jpg

banjo-web-vertical-exc-08_1.jpg
At first glance they look to be recreations of N64 designs and artwork, and, well, they are. But, they both added something new to the design: The Rareware logo on the back of Banjos backpack!

Now, at first I thought this was a neat little touch added to the figures, but I think its more than a coincidence that BOTH of them have that. Gamestop (publishing Totaku figures) and F4F wouldn't get together and decide to both add that (they probably wouldn't even know about what each other is making), and they wouldn't stray from the source material, especially with an IP that isn't theres.

And I considered the possibility that maybe the Rare logo was always there, and I forgot about it, but I checked everything- old artwork, ingame models for Kazooie, Tooie, and even Nuts And Bolts, even old merchandise, but the logo was never there.

With multiple pieces of merch from independent companies both adding this tiny detail, I think Microsoft gave them a new (albeit a faithful re-imagining of the original design) design of Banjo Kazooie, and I dont know why they would make a new design for merch when they could just go 1 to 1 with either the OG or Nuts and Bolts design. So I have come to 3 logical conclusions-

A. Microsoft/Rare have gone through the trouble of making this HD/revamped design for merch, but that's literally it.
B. Banjo Kazooie is getting the Crash/Spyro treatment, or a new game altogether, and this is their design.
C. Banjo Kazooie are in Smash Bros, and this is their design, kinda like how Simon got a "makeover" for Smash Bros that is an HD re imagining of the original character design.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Ready for a Tuesday morning conspiracy theory? Well, Ive been looking at the new Banjo merch, and ive noticrd something noteworthy on BOTH the Totaku and the First 4 Figure.
At first glance they look to be recreations of N64 designs and artwork, and, well, they are. But, they both added something new to the design: The Rareware logo on the back of Banjos backpack!

Now, at first I thought this was a neat little touch added to the figures, but I think its more than a coincidence that BOTH of them have that. Gamestop (publishing Totaku figures) and F4F wouldn't get together and decide to both add that (they probably wouldn't even know about what each other is making), and they wouldn't stray from the source material, especially with an IP that isn't theres.

And I considered the possibility that maybe the Rare logo was always there, and I forgot about it, but I checked everything- old artwork, ingame models for Kazooie, Tooie, and even Nuts And Bolts, even old merchandise, but the logo was never there.

With multiple pieces of merch from independent companies both adding this tiny detail, I think Microsoft gave them a new (albeit a faithful re-imagining of the original design) design of Banjo Kazooie, and I dont know why they would make a new design for merch when they could just go 1 to 1 with either the OG or Nuts and Bolts design. So I have come to 3 logical conclusions-

A. Microsoft/Rare have gone through the trouble of making this HD/revamped design for merch, but that's literally it.
B. Banjo Kazooie is getting the Crash/Spyro treatment, or a new game altogether, and this is their design.
C. Banjo Kazooie are in Smash Bros, and this is their design, kinda like how Simon got a "makeover" for Smash Bros that is an HD re imagining of the original character design.
Good eye, Llort! I really hope that's the case here. When Ridley, King K. Rool, and Simon showed up in Ultimate with updated redesigns of their classic appearances, I was hoping that would be the case for Banjo & Kazooie. I like the idea of the Rare logo being somewhere on their person.

Mr Chance Pants

Smash Rookie
I've seen a ton of speculation surrounding Banjo being in smash this go around. And it makes me wonder if rare would want to include the spiritual Successor in the game as an echo fighter as well.

This would be the first echo fighter to be a completely different property than the original, yet Yooka-Laylee would be a perfect fit as an echo to an already great character.

Nintendo already is able to include Yooka-Laylee as a game on the switch, and so long as relationships between rare and the team that built YL are still good, then I think it's definitely a possibility, though it could be much further in the future.

Further still: if Rare and Microsoft do work together and allow Banjo... what about Conker? I think another character that could rival Wario's "gross out" factor could even out the humor of the game. Imagine Wario wafting about on stage, and Conker drunkenly stumbling around. Could be interesting.

Last edited:

JamesDNaux

Smash Hero
NNID
JamesDNaux

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you didn't search hard enough.
BanjoTooieGang2.png BanjoKazooieTooie6.png BanjoKazooieTooie4.png
The logo has always been there, at least since Tooie.

Last edited:

JonSmash

Smash Ace
yooka-laylee would not work as a banjo echo at all & they would get the shovel knight AT treatment if they got into smash bros

& if banjo gets in I could see conker as DLC if we fans demand it conker has plenty for a moveset from his games that don't need to be refrenced to his adult themed game like frying pan, baseball bat, slingshot, cartoon sized round bomb, giant toilet paper & so on that could be part of his moveset maybe even diddy kong racing cars & plains to use. I mean if snake & bayonetta can be in smash in a E 10+ way so could conker after all conker wasn't that bad it was the crazy world he lived in that was bonkers :p

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
View attachment 170111View attachment 170112View attachment 170113
Doh! Of course! How I could forget any of these renders? I used to see them all the time in the strategy guide I owned back in the day. Either way, it is reassuring seeing them go back to the original style of the characters we grew up with instead of the blockier style of Nuts n' Bolts. Hopefully the figures are a hint towards their future with hopefully a new game/remaster and a spot in Smash Bros.!

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

View attachment 170111View attachment 170112View attachment 170113
Still, it goes to my point of why would Microsoft go back to the N64 design, when they went all in with the Nuts & Bolts design. For anniversary merch, they could have just used the design that refers to their design exclusive for their console. While I can't see Microsoft going back to their N64 designs, I can see Sakurai doing so, like with Simon as you mention in point C. Of course, it's an inference that could be wrong, but it's a hopeful sign.

D

Deleted member

GUH-HUH!
Listen here....banjo would be the perfect 3rd party to end all 3rd party’s I can see sakurai saving him for the grand finale:)

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
GUH-HUH!
Listen here....banjo would be the perfect 3rd party to end all 3rd party’s I can see sakurai saving him for the grand finale:)
I agree, despite what everyone says, he was always one of the most popular characters since Melee but hampered by the fact he was considered "impossible" until Spencer's tweet and the ballot in 2015. Banjo & Kazooie would be the ultimate "making the impossible possible" for Ultimate.

Top Bottom