• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

Either you weren't around for Smash For DLC's speculation period of you have VERY selective memory.
I was very much around back then and I don’t remember anybody ever claiming that either of them were actually happening. Everybody wanted/expected both of them but there were no Vergebens or Hitagis going around claiming they were coming. Please correct me with sources if I’m wrong

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was very much around back then and I don’t remember anybody ever claiming that either of them were actually happening. Everybody wanted/expected both of them but there were no Vergebens or Hitagis going around claiming they were coming
Meanwhile there was a certain user who proclaimed high and loud that :ultpichu: would be the last DLC character for silly reasons. I'm surprised that I'm the only one who remembers that.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
I was very much around back then and I don’t remember anybody ever claiming that either of them were actually happening. Everybody wanted/expected both of them but there were no Vergebens or Hitagis going around claiming they were coming. Please correct me with sources if I’m wrong
Shovel Knight originated with Liam from unseen64 (publicly at least), Inkling I believe started publicly with Rogersbase but those two characters were very very much in Erdrick's shoes right now, with a multitude of insiders and Smashboards mods/admins believing they were our DLC because of leaks.

FTR, the Shovel Knight thing stemmed from his amiibo being conceptualised with a Smash base.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shovel Knight originated with Liam from unseen64 (publicly at least), Inkling I believe started publicly with Rogersbase but those two characters were very very much in Erdrick's shoes right now, with a multitude of insiders and Smashboards mods/admins believing they were our DLC because of leaks.

FTR, the Shovel Knight thing stemmed from his amiibo being conceptualised with a Smash base.
It's good to see them being compared to Eddy, given that seeing people still expect him to be in is starting to irk me at this point (and I say this as a low-key supporter of him).

Also, SK's amiibo design clearly looked NOTHING like the Smash style (pose isn't even dynamic, for starters), yet people assumed he'd be in. Just because he had an amiibo.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
The concept art for Shovel Knight's amiibo actually had a Smash themed base.

That's where the confusion with Liam came from.

I remember the characters being talked about and speculated about by everyone but I don’t remember anyone ever actually claiming they were legit coming like they have been now with Steve and Erdrick. But agree to disagree I suppose

Last edited:

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
got another thing to share with you all (don't know if it was posted here before or not)

There was a problem fetching the tweet
Whooooo is this person?

time to pack up shop and switch mains, turns out some of Wario's moveset is just exaggerated versions of Mario's
I'm sorry, are you implying those moves Joker has aren't copy+paste jobs?

And Make a video showing any of Wario's moves that are 100% a copy of Mario's, because you won't many, if any.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The concept art for Shovel Knight's amiibo actually had a Smash themed base.

That's where the confusion with Liam came from.
Makes me wonder if affording a custom base was gonna be too expensive at one point.

Whooooo is this person?

Make a video showing any of Wario's moves that are 100% a copy of Mario's, because you won't many, if any.
Even then, the Wild Swing-Ding (back throw) is from Wario World, so...

KrazyBones is awesome, he did various character icons (for Rare characters and otherwise), and even did Smash-style ones for fighter wishes.

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229
Whooooo is this person?

I'm sorry, are you implying those moves Joker has aren't copy+paste jobs?

And Make a video showing any of Wario's moves that are 100% a copy of Mario's, because you won't many, if any.
That's Krazy , a twitter artist and big Banjo and Kazooie supporter !

Here's his twitter account : https://twitter.com/KrazyBonesTV

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
To be honest, Banjo is the most confident about a character I've been since Elma for the base game.

I promised myself that I wouldn't get burned again.

Welp. Here we are.
Same. This is the first time I felt Banjo actually has a shot to be in and, I won't lie, I feel a little nervous.

SKX31

Smash Master
Same. This is the first time I felt Banjo actually has a shot to be in and, I won't lie, I feel a little nervous.
I'm going to be a bit of a contrarian here and say that Banjo's chances feel wonky to me. Yea, you have Phil's comments, you have the radio silence from the parties involved regarding Banjo, etc. At the same time, there's something fishy with how things have transpired thus far. And not just in B-K's favor, but also against their chances. If I had to hazard another guess, it's because any revival of Banjo's going to have to be with gusto.
Not just a Smash appearance in my eyes - if you ask me, the Smash appearance increases interest in the character which is best served by being followed up. Take :4megaman:'s example, where his appearance came just as Capcom just had a string of PR disasters and several questions about the company's future. The appearance lead to the Classic Collections within two years, and X Collections as well as 11 arriving within four - helping to turn Capcom's fortunes around. Likewise, if Banjo gets in then it would be a shame to only have them in Smash within the next 4-5 years; I'd much rather have Microsoft follow up with Kazooie / Tooie remakes and / or a new Banjo game within 2-4 years of the Smash appearance.

That's where I hit a roadblock mentally, since Microsoft probably wants a competent team behind a Banjo-Threeie. But they're also likely focusing on the Nextbox as well as Halo Infinite (Halo Youtuber HiddenXperia posted a video where he believed a nuts rumor with a grain of salt: Infinite's budget being $500 Million. No. Joke.). Of course, Microsoft's a huge company - what I'm saying is that if they plan on remaking Kazooie / Tooie or making a new Banjo game they are probably going to tread really carefully with that. So the new Banjo game won't release around (and be completely overshadowed by) Infinite. No matter how Infinite's recieved.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I honestly found Banjo in Smash less believable than having like 10 million characters tba in less than a month.

And yet, here I am now.
After Cloud you shouldn't think that any character is unbelievable. But you can think certain characters are unlikely. There are only 4 DLC characters left (unless there's going to be more) and one of them is likely Erdrick. So Banjo's biggest hurdle is competition with other characters. Remember that Nintendo essentially made a list of characters for Sakurai to pick from. That means not only did Banjo have to be picked by Nintendo themselves, he also had to be picked by Sakurai over who knows how many other characters that were offered to him. There's still a ginormous amount of video game characters out there and Joker proves it doesn't have to be a character with a series that has strong ties with Nintendo.

I hate to say it, but Banjo is competing with everyone.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
After Cloud you shouldn't think that any character is unbelievable. But you can think certain characters are unlikely. There are only 4 DLC characters left (unless there's going to be more) and one of them is likely Erdrick. So Banjo's biggest hurdle is competition with other characters. Remember that Nintendo essentially made a list of characters for Sakurai to pick from. That means not only did Banjo have to be picked by Nintendo themselves, he also had to be picked by Sakurai over who knows how many other characters that were offered to him. There's still a ginormous amount of video game characters out there and Joker proves it doesn't have to be a character with a series that has strong ties with Nintendo.

That’s pretty much my mindset on Banjo & Kazooie’s likelihood in Smash. When Piranha Plant and Joker got announced, I found myself going ‘ah hell, if they got in before Banjo & Kazooie, then it shows the bear and bird are nowhere near as high a priority as I might’ve previously thought’. Don’t get me wrong, their chances are far better than they’ve ever been, but like you said, with this DLC, it’s gonna be stiff competition from everyone. All I can do is pray and hope for the best, cuz Banjo & Kazooie are literally the ONLY characters I truly want in Smash. Anyone else is just icing on the cake to me.

Last edited:

But Nintendo know Banjo is beloved by their older fans and they held a fan ballot which Banjo likely polled well on. Is it really that crazy to think that they know how big of a deal adding Banjo would be?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
If Japan liking Dragon Quest is the only reason that makes Erdrick so likely. Then Banjo seems super likely with all that seems to line up in his favor.

Amazes me how little proof Erdrick needs to basically be confirmed in people's minds but Banjo is not in till they outright say he is in.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
As a former Shadow supporter, i can relate................a lot.
I was pretty confident Shadow would be an echo alongside Ken and Richter (and Ms Pac-Man). I honestly think the only reason he wasn't selected is because he's not the 2nd natural Sonic rep, Tails is. Whereas Richter and Ken are very natural 2nd reps for their respective series.

Hell Ken is the only character besides Ryu to appear in every iteration of every single Street Fighter game.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I was pretty confident Shadow would be an echo alongside Ken and Richter (and Ms Pac-Man). I honestly think the only reason he wasn't selected is because he's not the 2nd natural Sonic rep, Tails is. Whereas Richter and Ken are very natural 2nd reps for their respective series.

Hell Ken is the only character besides Ryu to appear in every iteration of every single Street Fighter game.
Richter was not a natural second rep. We are lucky Sakurai took a lot of moves from him for Simon or there was no way he'd be here.

D

Deleted member

If Japan liking Dragon Quest is the only reason that makes Erdrick so likely. Then Banjo seems super likely with all that seems to line up in his favor.

Amazes me how little proof Erdrick needs to basically be confirmed in people's minds but Banjo is not in till they outright say he is in.
Once a "reliable person" says Erdrick (or "X character") is in, everybody will start believing in it, no matter the actual evidence. Im happy that no outside has said Banjo is in 100%, otherwise ugly things could really happen (one could argue that we are already on that spot in a way).

I should mention that i have no ill will towards Erdrick.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
I think I've hit a point of exhaustion with the Banjo VS Steve argument. It just tires me out now, I can't even get mad at Steveposters anymore.

I just want it to end. No matter what, every discussion about Banjo in Smash ALWAYS swings back around to screaming about Steve. I'm worn out and tired of it. I just want to know who's in purely so this pathetic war can end and we can get back to our lives

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think I've hit a point of exhaustion with the Banjo VS Steve argument. It just tires me out now, I can't even get mad at Steveposters anymore.

I just want it to end. No matter what, every discussion about Banjo in Smash ALWAYS swings back around to screaming about Steve. I'm worn out and tired of it. I just want to know who's in purely so this pathetic war can end and we can get back to our lives
Best case scenario: All we really know is that some major **** is gonna go down as early as E3 that can finally give us some closure.

Worst case scenario: Nothing happens at E3 and we continue to play the waiting game come February 2020 and when the final fighter is revealed and it isn't Banjo-Kazooie and the Smash team confirms that other than patches development has wrapped up, Then pretty much this rallying and campaigning was all for nothing.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
It's kinda bizarre to think that Banjo is a serious contender at all. Back in the Smash 4 days, the thought of Banjo didn't even occur to me. That's how unlikely I considered him. No matter what happens, he has come pretty far in a relatively short amount of time.
Maybe Banjo can be this game's Mega Man: a dormant character that was chosen over more succesful franchises.

Last edited:

ColtonS25

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6762 3529 5300
Based on the rumblings from Fatmanonice, Sabi (PolarPanda), King Zell, and other insiders, this year's E3 could be very interesting even outside the Smash bubble. I'm super excited about the potential of Rare Replay and other Microsoft exclusive content coming to the Switch. It does make me wonder what kind of back-scratching that Nintendo is giving Microsoft considering the former Xbox exclusive games potentially on Switch. Is Banjo in Smash enough? It really makes me wonder what kind of deals were made.

On that topic, has anyone had the chance to play Cuphead on Switch? I'll probably pick it up when I have some free time, but I've got interest in the game for sure.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Based on the rumblings from Fatmanonice, Sabi (PolarPanda), King Zell, and other insiders, this year's E3 could be very interesting even outside the Smash bubble. I'm super excited about the potential of Rare Replay and other Microsoft exclusive content coming to the Switch. It does make me wonder what kind of back-scratching that Nintendo is giving Microsoft considering the former Xbox exclusive games potentially on Switch. Is Banjo in Smash enough? It really makes me wonder what kind of deals were made.

On that topic, has anyone had the chance to play Cuphead on Switch? I'll probably pick it up when I have some free time, but I've got interest in the game for sure.
I haven’t bought Cuphead in Switch mostly because I’m still working on the Xbox One version.

Game is brutal, but charming, especially as a fan of older animation.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

I'm about to install Cuphead right now. I have already completed it on PC, but I'll take any excuse to play it again.

SKX31

Smash Master

To play Armchair Psychologist: The emotional need to defend what you love / cherish is, after all, a bit dangerous in itself. Not just due to any slippery slope stuff, but also trying to avoid mental pain can often result in scenarios where some form of mental pain's inevitable.

If I were to give a tip, it's: Sometimes what you want doesn't happen. And that's okay. I've aware of something and accept it: there's also a chance that no Microsoft character gets in at all this cycle. Of course, you're free to follow my advice or not. Aknowledging and accepting mental pain's difficult.

I'm gonna hazard another wild guess: Maybe Nintendo's prepping something like some of their titles on the Microsoft Store? Doesn't have to be big ones right now, but I could see it since they're absolutely anti-emulation and might want to spread their titles around in case one of their future consoles go so bad it sinks Nintendo's hardware-developing chances. Of course, I expect at least some of Nintendo's top brass to be against the idea out of principle, but if they're willing to deal with Universal (the upcoming Illumination Mario movie) and Warner Bros.* / Toho (the Detective Pikachu movie. Y'know, the Ryan Reynolds one. Hard to believe it's coming out in May!) I won't count out such a deal with Microsoft.

*(I wouldn't be surprised if Warner gets something in return, maybe not limited to MK11 coming to Switch. Not sure what Universal would get though).

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
To play Armchair Psychologist: The emotional need to defend what you love / cherish is, after all, a bit dangerous in itself. Not just due to any slippery slope stuff, but also trying to avoid mental pain can often result in scenarios where some form of mental pain's inevitable.

If I were to give a tip, it's: Sometimes what you want doesn't happen. And that's okay. I've aware of something and accept it: there's also a chance that no Microsoft character gets in at all this cycle. Of course, you're free to follow my advice or not. Aknowledging and accepting mental pain's difficult.

I'm gonna hazard another wild guess: Maybe Nintendo's prepping something like some of their titles on the Microsoft Store? Doesn't have to be big ones right now, but I could see it since they're absolutely anti-emulation and might want to spread their titles around in case one of their future consoles go so bad it sinks Nintendo's hardware-developing chances. Of course, I expect at least some of Nintendo's top brass to be against the idea out of principle, but if they're willing to deal with Universal (the upcoming Illumination Mario movie) and Warner Bros.* / Toho (the Detective Pikachu movie. Y'know, the Ryan Reynolds one. Hard to believe it's coming out in May!) I won't count out such a deal with Microsoft.

*(I wouldn't be surprised if Warner gets something in return, maybe not limited to MK11 coming to Switch. Not sure what Universal would get though).
Universal is receiving Nintendo properties for the theme parks.

It’s Japan first, followed by the U.S. parks.

While I’m bringing this topic up, imagine a Banjo Kazooie themed ride!

SKX31

Smash Master
Universal is receiving Nintendo properties for the theme parks.

It’s Japan first, followed by the U.S. parks.

While I’m bringing this topic up, imagine a Banjo Kazooie themed ride!
Oh, yeah, I completely forgot about that. My mistake!

That said, the trailer does play it the safe way Nintendo's been handling Mario post-Galaxy (outside of Odyssey), so I get the sense they'll start safe and expand piece by piece.

Waaaaaitasecond. Please tell me there will be a version of the Royal Water Park (from the Zelda cartoon. It's one of my favorite ideas from that cartoon because of how bizarre that is)!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo-Kazooie themed ride? Let them go all the way and have them create "Witchy World", Who wouldn't want to go to a jacked up theme park with life threatening rides, sketchy employees and unsanitary fast food?

Disney World be damned.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Banjo-Kazooie themed ride? Let them go all the way and have them create "Witchy World", Who wouldn't want to go to a jacked up theme park with life threatening rides, sketchy employees and unsanitary fast food?

Disney World be damned.
I know some workers I lead at work that would be perfect for this.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace

Disney World be damned.
Add in a life sized Mr. Patch and a fortune teller that assults people while you're at it

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Add in a life sized Mr. Patch and a fortune teller that assults people while you're at it
Don’t forget to have everything in Space Zone powered down, requiring patrons to find a local shaman in order to power them up!

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master

Let's not understate "Japan liking Dragon Quest" and put them in the same situations. Japan LOVES Dragon Quest to the point its one of their modern cultural icons. Very few series have that kind of honor and Banjo just doesn't reach those heights in any context.

More importantly though, Dragon Quest is an ongoing thirty year franchise that acts as the granddaddy to all console RPGs. Throughout that thirty year history the series has been distinctly tied with Nintendo. Every mainline title can be played on a Nintendo console, and every main entry also originally released on a Nintendo console except for VII and VIII during Nintendo's more unfavorable era. Most of the spinoffs have also been developed exclusively for Nintendo consoles or seen release on Nintendo consoles. Dragon Quest has even cross over with Mario in Fortune Street a few years back. It has a massive legacy that Smash could represent and distinct ties to Nintendo to this very day with Dragon Quest 11 Definitive Edition releasing on Switch.

When you add all of that up with the fact that Square Enix is already a company working with Sakurai and Nintendo on Smash. If they want to bring Dragon Quest into Smash, they already have a Smash specific relationship established and have spent the past decade rebuilding their relationship as companies.

Compare that to Banjo Kazooie. Their franchise has largely died out and isn't really remembered all that fondly beyond Banjo Kazooie and Banjo Tooie. Both of those games may be astounding 3D platformers, but they weren't quite the same innovators as say Super Mario 64 was. Microsoft and Nintendo have only recently begun to work together on projects and specific releases and the extent to which they will work together is still somewhat unknown. Microsoft has nothing to do with Smash at the moment. And Sakurai has yet to include a Western third party character as a playable icon in Smash. The main thing they have going for them is that their beloved by Nintendo and Smash fans and remind people of the nostalgia for the N64 era.

When you consider all of that, I think it's much easier for people to see and believe in Dragon Quest being added to Smash than Banjo Kazooie, especially when the latter has only just recently even become a possibility. That's not to say Banjo can't be the character to break through many of those issues or anything like that. Just they'd largely be added for entirely different reasons. Dragon Quest would be added more out of legacy and contributions as one of THE big Japanese third party franchises (Which does line-up with several characters that have been picked not for fan demand purposes as much), whereas Banjo relies much more heavily on his status as a fan request and specific reminder of classic era (A fact that has been uncertain even at the best of times).

I could also see a scenario in which Sega, Sakurai, or both see Shadow as ill-suited to the Echo role and more deserving of an original moveset. I don't necessarily agree with that myself, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear something like that. Also poor Mrs. Pac-Man is kind of stuck in legal limbo from what I've heard and she's more difficult to deal with.

Cuphead is absolutely fantastic. I've also only played the Xbox One version, but I've heard nothing but great things about the Switch version and the game is genuinely one of my favorite games in the past few years. There's so much love and effort clearly on display that you can't help but love it. If you're up for the challenge, the game will push you constantly and every fight feels rewarding once you complete it. Definitely worth making a priority to anyone who hasn't played it.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
And here is everybody's accurate reaction when all this hype leads to nothing.

Well, hopefully not that devastated.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I always look forward to Nintendo E3s. They normally always have at least one thing to look forward to.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
But Nintendo know Banjo is beloved by their older fans and they held a fan ballot which Banjo likely polled well on. Is it really that crazy to think that they know how big of a deal adding Banjo would be?
Dixie fans made the same argument. So did Geno fans. The whole "older fans love this character" only gets so much traction. To my knowledge only a small collection of characters were picked purely because of fan request. Most of the time characters are picked because they are either:

1. Huge gaming icons
2. Currently new and popular
3. Offer some sort of unique and unexpected surprise.

I think Sakurai prioritizes those things over fan demand. Especially with paid DLC where in order to make the best profit they should try to get as many people to buy it as possible. The old school fans of the N64 era make up a small portion compared to those who'd buy a gaming icon or a contemporary hero.

Now that doesn't mean Banjo won't happen. The five DLC characters might try to appeal to different audiences. Joker would appeal to the contemporary. Erdrick would be the classic gaming icon. Banjo could be the fan requested character. Who knows? I certainly don't.

Last edited:
Dixie fans made the same argument. So did Geno fans. The whole "older fans love this character" only gets so much traction. To my knowledge only a small collection of characters were picked purely because of fan request. Most of the time characters are picked because they are either:

1. Huge gaming icons
2. Currently new and popular
3. Offer some sort of unique and unexpected surprise.

I think Sakurai prioritizes those things over fan demand. Especially with paid DLC where in order to make the best profit they should try to get as many people to buy it as possible. The old school fans of the N64 era make up a small portion compared to those who'd buy a gaming icon or a contemporary hero.

Now that doesn't mean Banjo won't happen. The five DLC characters might try to appeal to different audiences. Joker would appeal to the contemporary. Erdrick would be the classic gaming icon. Banjo could be the fan requested character. Who knows? I certainly don't.
The DK series has already been long-represented in Smash and Geno, while beloved by a lot of people, is ultimately just a one-off character who made one appearance in a spinoff game. Neither of them are really as necessary for Smash as people like to think.

Banjo however is not only a part of Nintendo’s history with zero representation in Smash, but you could definitely argue that they are iconic. Just because they aren’t really relevant today doesn’t take away how important they were to Nintendo during their time. Ending their decade-long hiatus by finally bringing them to Smash would be huge and unexpected in and of itself. And the fact that they brought back Mewtwo, Roy and Lucas in Smash 4 as dlc shows that they do care about fan requests. That’s something they didn’t have to do, but they did.

Top Bottom