• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I could see Miyamoto maybe disliking some things about Rare but he has stated that he liked DKC and was involved with it, not understanding why a rumor about him hating it started. Plus there was the tree thing, so maybe the lack of Rare characters being used outside of spinoffs was due to discomfort or wanting to try something new.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
To give IndieGamerChick some credit, looking at her tweets regarding the subject again, I think she mainly seems to talking about the NES era Rare that Miyamoto disliked. She did say that he "thought of them making some of the worst NES games".

Honestly...if I were Miyamoto and saw Rare during the NES era, I probably wouldn't think much of them either. Maybe not "despise" as IGC's sources put it, but...Rare did honestly kind of churn out a lot of garbage before they joined forces with Nintendo. For every Battletoad or Snake Rattle 'N' Roll, there were like, five Taboos or A Nightmare on Elm Streets. Quite a few of the games Rare made under LJN's wing ended up being featured on the Angry Video Game Nerd. Think about that for a moment.

So yeah, I guess it is possible that Miyamoto initially didn't trust or like Rare at first, but after the company proved itself with constant hit after hit when they partnered with Nintendo, he warmed up to them.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Slight hand? He's pretty much the reason Sticker Star became what it is. IS were originally making a more traditional Paper Mario game, but Miyamoto turned it down because it was "too much like the one on the GameCube", and among other things, insisted that "it's fine without a story" and "as much as possible, (they should) complete it with only characters from the Super Mario world." And it's not like they could just turn down the creator of the franchise so easily, y'know.

Say what you will about him, Miyamoto's involvement in making the recent Paper Mario games the way they ended up shouldn't be understated, and to say he had a "slight hand" is doing just that.
Here's the thing
"Aoyama
After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.2222. GC version: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, released for the Nintendo GameCube (GC) console in July 2004. It is the second game in the Paper Mario series.
Tanabe
I had heard that at first Miyamoto-san said that something like an RPG would be fine, so for a while I thought that something like the previous one would be fine.
Iwata
That must have meant that you hadn't done much that was new.
Tanabe
Right. So we wondered what to do. Then the idea of using stickers came up. Originally, the plan was to use stickers here and there for solving puzzles on the overall map and so forth, but then we thought, "If we're gonna do that, then we might as well use stickers for the whole thing, including battles," and we decided to begin rethinking the game mechanics."
The story is why he gets 10% and there's more to Super Mario World than Toad. In summation really most of it is all IS so a slight hand is justified.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I could see Miyamoto maybe disliking some things about Rare but he has stated that he liked DKC and was involved with it, not understanding why a rumor about him hating it started. Plus there was the tree thing, so maybe the lack of Rare characters being used outside of spinoffs was due to discomfort or wanting to try something new.
That seems fair enough.

Besides, SMRPG wouldn't have happened, if not mostly because of DKC's influence back then.

Here's the thing
"Aoyama
After E3, Miyamoto-san played the prototype and said it was just a port of the GC version.2222. GC version: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, released for the Nintendo GameCube (GC) console in July 2004. It is the second game in the Paper Mario series.
Tanabe
I had heard that at first Miyamoto-san said that something like an RPG would be fine, so for a while I thought that something like the previous one would be fine.
Iwata
Tanabe
Right. So we wondered what to do. Then the idea of using stickers came up. Originally, the plan was to use stickers here and there for solving puzzles on the overall map and so forth, but then we thought, "If we're gonna do that, then we might as well use stickers for the whole thing, including battles," and we decided to begin rethinking the game mechanics."
The story is why he gets 10% and there's more to Super Mario World than Toad. In summation really most of it is all IS so a slight hand is justified.
The moral of this story is:

ihave.jpg

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Here's the thing
"Aoyama
Tanabe
Iwata
Tanabe
I never said IS's own incompetence isn't partly to blame for Sticker Star, but rather that Miyamoto's role in its development was being understated. Yes, it was IS that ultimately screwed everything up, but Miyamoto, for how briefly he interacted with them, ultimately was the one that lead them to do those kinds of decisions in the first place, criticizing how the original build was too much like TTYD and such.

He's not to be blamed for the whole fiasco, but he is greatly responsible for instigating it; certainly more than 10%, as you claim.

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Let me put it this way: Do you really see anyone caring about Sea of Thieves anymore? The announcement of the multiplayer arenas at the last Inside Xbox was met with very muted responses.

It suffered the same problem as No Man's Sky: It launched with absolutely nothing to do and bare bones. Sure, nowadays there is plenty to do, same as No Man's Sky, but just like NMS nobody cares anymore

You only get that one first impression to hook people, and SoT blew it.
That's... Not true, for the most part. I'm a devoted player of SoT, and with the recent announcements of Arena, a new faction, a story mode, and making the beta servers effectively public, SoT has had new life breathed into it including a massive spike in its playerbase.

See, when No Man's Sky launched and was beaten to death, it was because it was an empty husk on top of the developer straight up lying about what the game would be. Rare didn't do that. They just put too much of the game into the pre-launch betas, somebody leaked a datamine of plans for over a year to come, and those two things made the launch seem incredibly anticlimactic. But since then, Rare jumped onto what they needed to fix, and saved an otherwise fast-sinking ship. (lol) It even hit the top 3 on Twitch recently.

So TL;DR, people DO care about Sea of Thieves. Very much so.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I never said IS's own incompetence isn't partly to blame for Sticker Star, but rather that Miyamoto's role in its development was being understated. Yes, it was IS that ultimately screwed everything up, but Miyamoto, for how briefly he interacted with them, ultimately was the one that lead them to do those kinds of decisions in the first place, criticizing how the original build was too much like TTYD and such.

He's not to be blamed for the whole fiasco, but he is greatly responsible for instigating it; certainly more than 10%, as you claim.
I disagree. Yes, you can say he kicked it off but he never told them to go the direction they went. They could still innovate with a turn-based system. Basically, the way that reads is the game was indistinguishable from TTYD and they needed to give the game more identity. I mean his initial direction was to make an RPG anyway. They definitely deserve the brunt of the blame.

JonSmash

Smash Ace
Paper Mario is forever dead !

the head of the paper mario games said he has NO intention of doing what the 1st 3 paper marios did again HECK he also said he dosn't want to do what PMSS & PMCS did again & that he wants to do something completly diffrent gameplaywise with paper mario

its like they HATE the consumer & money ! (if paper mario was chibi robo nintendo would of put him down already) great buissness plan keep changing what your IP is & dose despite consumer backlash confusing & splintering the fanbase

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
While I would 100% prefer them go and continue a style close to TTYD, Super proves they can make an excellent Paper Mario that's not turn-based. I think Paper Mario can survive a transition from turn-based battles they just need better gameplay than the dumb card or sticker systems.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
The Banjo-Kazooie hub world is a lot more confusing then I remember. I come out of Treasure Trove Cove and was stuck down there till I realized I could actually climb up the pipes that look like vines on the wall. I kept running around those two areas trying to find a way up there till I realized that.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
The Banjo-Kazooie hub world is a lot more confusing then I remember. I come out of Treasure Trove Cove and was stuck down there till I realized I could actually climb up the pipes that look like vines on the wall. I kept running around those two areas trying to find a way up there till I realized that.
Must have been a looong time since you last played it lol. Or maybe I just played through it too many times growing up XD

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I've been seeing a few more people turn around on Banjo and claim their chances are higher nowadays. Could the events with Polarpanda and the tweets from Aubry be changing peoples minds? Can't say for sure, but it's nice to see a little support.

SKX31

Smash Master
aren't these completely contradictory though
They are pretty much contradictionary, but in both cases the games focused on a new way to play (Miyamoto had a limited influence on Sticker Star, but the point still stands). Story's never been one of Miyamoto's priorities nor his strong suit - for him it's always been secondary or tertiary at best.

Also, one's reasoning can be contradictionary. Bringing back Toads again and again while not using Rare's secondary characters that often kind of is. Then again, more comfortable using characters you yourself created if I'd hazard a guess.

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
hrMpYWn.png

I dont wanna say anything is 100%, due to our experience with the Grinch Leak, but this is looking pretty good. Let's keep our ears perked for a direct later on.

osby

Smash Obsessed
View attachment 208950
I dont wanna say anything is 100%, due to our experience with the Grinch Leak, but this is looking pretty good. Let's keep our ears perked for a direct later on.
Joker thread talked about this in length. It's very unlikely to be real for a number of reasons: most of the references in Joker is awkwardly implemented, Mementos is way too crowded and includes endgame spoilers and stage looks like a weird amalgamation of screenshots of Persona 5 and Catherine.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Joker thread talked about this in length. It's very unlikely to be real for a number of reasons: most of the references in Joker is awkwardly implemented, Mementos is way too crowded and includes endgame spoilers and stage looks like a weird amalgamation of screenshots of Persona 5 and Catherine.
But wasn't Mementos found in the game files as a part of a stage file? I mean sure it could be just music from Mementos thinking about it now.

osby

Smash Obsessed
But wasn't Mementos found in the game files as a part of a stage file? I mean sure it could be just music from Mementos thinking about it now.
You see, there are two parts of Mementos in Persona 5: Regular Mementos which is one of the earliest dungeons you get access to, and Mementos Depths, no-barrels-hold, huge spoiler territory.

I heavily doubt that Sakurai would add a spoiler filled stage that includes a twist boss from a third party game- especially if the said game is Persona 5, which ATLUS is pretty strict about its spoilers.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
You see, there are two parts of Mementos in Persona 5: Regular Mementos which is one of the earliest dungeons you get access to, and Mementos Depths, no-barrels-hold, huge spoiler territory.

I heavily doubt that Sakurai would add a spoiler filled stage that includes a twist boss from a third party game- especially if the said game is Persona 5, which ATLUS is pretty strict about its spoilers.
Oh ok I didn't know that thank you. So the stage would more then likely be normal Mementos and not depths.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Oh ok I didn't know that thank you. So the stage would more then likely be normal Mementos and not depths.
Yes. Also while we have busy stages, I'm really don't see development team just cramming every reference they can find into Mementos (Morgana, Holy Grail, Personas/Shadows), considering other third party stages are very neat about this (Sonic's friends, angels, Summons, Yellow Devil by itself etc).

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
But yeah the only thing I would have to say about that post is that they seem to be playing off safe speculation more then anything. We all assumed Joker would be flashy animation wise. We all theorized that stage builder would have themes based off certain franchises. Mementos was found in the game files so it would either be regular and depths. The 1v1 mode is basically for glory. Which people have been wanting to come back.

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think, if Banjo gets confirmed, we should do some kind of act of good will for the Steve thread. Help to alleviate the bad blood and maybe soften the blow.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I think, if Banjo gets confirmed, we should do some kind of act of good will for the Steve thread. Help to alleviate the bad blood and maybe soften the blow.
We'll have to be careful with that one. It would be super easy to come off as smug. It would be better to start doing all this now so it doesn't come off as "we want peace now because we won"

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Yes. Also while we have busy stages, I'm really don't see development team just cramming every reference they can find into Mementos (Morgana, Holy Grail, Personas/Shadows), considering other third party stages are very neat about this (Sonic's friends, angels, Summons, Yellow Devil by itself etc).
While I mostly agree with your last points, the Castlevania stage is jam packed with just as many references so I could easily see Sakurai doing the same with a Persona stage.

osby

Smash Obsessed
While I mostly agree with your last points, the Castlevania stage is jam packed with just as many references so I could easily see Sakurai doing the same with a Persona stage.
There's just item giving candles and monsters showing up, tbh. Nothing incoherent or out of place.

My problem with the leak is how haphazard references are, where your party members, Personas and a freaking boss shows up. It can be real, but I doubt it.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
There's just item giving candles and monsters showing up, tbh. Nothing incoherent or out of place.

My problem with the leak is how haphazard references are, where your party members, Personas and a freaking boss shows up. It can be real, but I doubt it.
Well I don't think it's real it's just the holy grail in the background and Morgana and some shadows as hazards. Sounds exactly like having the iconic monsters from Castlevania and Kid Dracula appearing on the Castlevania stage. It's not really too crazy. The other things are legitimate reasons this leak probably isn't true but what he has listed appearing doesn't seem out of place.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
If there’s going to be any Rare on Nintendo announcements or whatever, Nintendo probably has to do it themselves on a Direct or their E3 presentation. After all, Cuphead on Switch was announced on the Nindies direct and not in some Inside Xbox thing.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Hopefully tomorrow we'll FINALLY get an announcement or confirmation for a Nintendo Direct this upcoming week. Not only to hopefully see more Smash news, but also just see what other goodies Nintendo has in store for this year, and maybe some more info on stuff like Super Mario Maker 2 and Pokemon Sword & Shield (although that might be held off till a Pokemon direct)

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
View attachment 208950
yeah this is likely fake; among the reasons already discussed, Joker's not using his idle animation from the February Direct, the lighting and shading is very different from the rest of Smash (they could change it for one stage, I guess, but I doubt it, it's not even just colors getting more-saturated here), the background and the bricks look like images put together in photoshop, and the "leaker" mentions Joker releasing on the 19th in Japan as if he wouldn't be released world-wide.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Maybe Joker was a mass hallucination

Maybe we all imagined 3.0

Maybe we imagined everything

Maybe we're all slamming our thumbs against a piece of cardboard instead of some revolutionary handheld gaming machine

I'm going to lose my mind waiting for Nintendo to get its act together

Zipzter

Smash Apprentice
Maybe Joker was a mass hallucination

Maybe we all imagined 3.0

Maybe we imagined everything

Maybe we're all slamming our thumbs against a piece of cardboard instead of some revolutionary handheld gaming machine

I'm going to lose my mind waiting for Nintendo to get its act together
No, no, they did that already. Nintendo LABO, remember? 70 dollars to smash your thumbs against cardboard instead of a revolutionary handheld gaming device

Brothanigus

Smash Apprentice
So nobody has figured out where this render comes from? I tried to reverse image search and next to nothing comes up.
1535771110217.png

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
Banjo Kazooie was never a thing. We all just went crazy, dressed up in bear costumes, went out into the woods and raided local bee hives for honey. All while carrying dead birds in out back packs.

Rare hasn't made a new banjo game, because they legitimately don't know what we're talking about.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
So nobody has figured out where this render comes from? I tried to reverse image search and next to nothing comes up.View attachment 208984
I think it was a render from 4chan that was deemed fake during base-game development time; Banjo's and Kazooie's faces look like they could've been edited based off of one of their official renders, Kazooie's especially (I know renders and such can be based off of official art, but this was suggested around then to show how it could've been made), plus it seems a bit painted (especially Banjo's nose).

Last edited:
Top Bottom