• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not sure what this has anything to do with my quoted post or this thread.
Do we still "desperately" need villains after :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultpiranha:?]
You said this on page 275 on post 10,997 on this thread. You were telling somebody if they were basing their personal feelings on a argument, that was a weak point. That's why I brought it up.

D

Deleted member

Hey has this been brought up here yet?
Oh, I didn't realize Mojang employees actually came out about Steve. I guess it's okay to share then that based on things I've seen in private in the past couple of weeks that, yeah, the chances of Steve and Minecraft content in general being red herrings is fairly high. I don't want to say it's totally not happening but it's not looking very likely anymore. As for DQ stuff, nobody has shared anything new and, like I said the other day, I strongly doubt a second character will be announced before E3 at this point. I feel like Nintendo's trying to set the table for another general Direct for late April but that's only conjecture on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkbeard

Smash Apprentice
The Mewtwo/Joker comparison is flawed because in Smash 4, they didn't really announce the DLC in a Fighters Pass-like fashion before the game released.

With 4, we never really knew how much DLC we were getting, so we never had a specific number of unknown "slots" to fill. With Ultimate, we know at the very least we are still getting four brand new, yet to be revealed characters with stages and music. It's a completely different situation and that's why the wait seems longer even though it's not.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
You said this on page 275 on post 10,997 on this thread. You were telling somebody if they were basing their personal feelings on a argument, that was a weak point. That's why I brought it up.
It's still kinda weird that you brought up it 100 pages later and it wasn't even a basis for argument, I was just asking if we really need to fill a slot when the base game delivered on said category.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
It's still drought because none of this has been officially revealed. Yes we know Joker is coming but at the same time we only have his model because of a messed up ad. Yes we know stage builder will be in but we don't know if it's better or worse than in past games and
again only know it's there because of a messed up ad. And that's before mentioning it was a feature that came in the base of the the previous two so yeah great.
Piranha Plant and the Spirits Battle is content released within the past two months. For DLC of most games, that disqualified the idea of a drought.

And I was explaining as to why the DLC would be theoretically taking longer to release (even though it’s actually in a shorter amount of time from announcement to release). Sure, we haven’t officially seen Joker’s moveset or his stage, but we definitively know he is coming with a stage.

And those games also didn’t have 76 characters at launch with 103 stages. Different sense of priorities and we’re probably getting the Stage Builder for free anyway, so what does it matter if it didn’t launch with this one? You still get it rolled out in a content update later on.

There’s really not much to justify saying we’re in a drought right now. They’ve been incredibly up front with how things are being handled this time in comparison to the past with the Fighter’s Pass announcement, dropped real, meaningful content already, and Sakurai even told people that Joker was revealed super early on in development. We may not know all of the details, but we’ve got an idea of where things are going for the foreseeable future. I understand people are anxious to see Joker’s content and potentially another character reveal, but I can’t emphasize enough how much better this already is than Smash 4 in which we had nothing released for 6 months, had no idea how much or how little DLC we would be getting, and didn’t even have proper patch notes. And we know that we’ll know more within two weeks time.

Not to mention, I think the only mode we got post Smash 4 launch was the online only Tourney mode, so we’re already doing well in regards to that too.

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Sora or Crash Bandicoot would be a bigger deal to see at E3 to most people outside of this community. Sora's inclusion would break the Internet. Regardless if it would be a middle finger to Sony or not, Crash definitely deserves a spot in the roster because of his stats as a major 90s gaming icon.
I'd personally only want to see Crash or Sora after Banjo-Kazooie. I'm of the mindset that a third-party character, even though its not always the case, of course, as characters like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, and now Joker have gotten in to Smash, but I believe the best choices for third-party representation should have history or big ties with Nintendo in general. Of course, they should also be big enough and recognizable icons that anyone on the street could probably recognize, so Crash or Sora definitely fit the bill at least. It just sucks characters like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Joker are more viable choices in this day and age than Banjo & Kazooie because they're easier to negotiate getting in more than going through an entire company just to possibly bring back the bear and bird, especially when their home was originally exclusively on Nintendo consoles. If they do get in though, I'd be more than happy to see whoever else they bring to the table.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
I currently don't really care for Joker or Plant. So it's basically been a 6 month wait just to have another chance of getting a character I do like announced. I wouldn't really call it a drought since we have been getting little updates here and there. But when the only thing moving discussion along these last six months was "The next two DLC characters are Erdrick and Steve guarantee" you really start to resent the wait.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'd personally only want to see Crash or Sora after Banjo-Kazooie. I'm of the mindset that a third-party character, even though its not always the case, of course, as characters like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, and now Joker have gotten in to Smash, but I believe the best choices for third-party representation should have history or big ties with Nintendo in general. Of course, they should also be big enough and recognizable icons that anyone on the street could probably recognize, so Crash or Sora definitely fit the bill at least. It just sucks characters like Snake, Cloud, Bayonetta, and Joker are more viable choices in this day and age than Banjo & Kazooie because they're easier to negotiate getting in more than going through an entire company just to possibly bring back the bear and bird, especially when their home was originally exclusively on Nintendo consoles. If they do get in though, I'd be more than happy to see whoever else they bring to the table.
I do agree 3rd party characters inclusions should be more focus on their ties with Nintendo's history and that is one of the reasons why I hope we see Banjo & Kazooie at E3. But Crash though has almost as much as of a connection to Nintendo's history as Sonic since he was the face of their biggest rival during the late 90s Sony. Crash would be a awesome consolation prize for us if we don't get Banjo & Kazooie in the Season Pass though.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Piranha Plant and the Spirits Battle is content released within the past two months. For DLC of most games, that disqualified the idea of a drought.

And I was explaining as to why the DLC would be theoretically taking longer to release (even though it’s actually in a shorter amount of time from announcement to release). Sure, we haven’t officially seen Joker’s moveset or his stage, but we definitively know he is coming with a stage.

And those games also didn’t have 76 characters at launch with 103 stages. Different sense of priorities and we’re probably getting the Stage Builder for free anyway, so what does it matter if it didn’t launch with this one? You still get it rolled out in a content update later on.

There’s really not much to justify saying we’re in a drought right now. They’ve been incredibly up front with how things are being handled this time in comparison to the past with the Fighter’s Pass announcement, dropped real, meaningful content already, and Sakurai even told people that Joker was revealed super early on in development. We may not know all of the details, but we’ve got an idea of where things are going for the foreseeable future. I understand people are anxious to see Joker’s content and potentially another character reveal, but I can’t emphasize enough how much better this already is than Smash 4 in which we had nothing released for 6 months, had no idea how much or how little DLC we would be getting, and didn’t even have proper patch notes. And we know that we’ll know more within two weeks time.

Not to mention, I think the only mode we got post Smash 4 launch was the online only Tourney mode, so we’re already doing well in regards to that too.
The spirit battles? That's not news. I guess it helps if you don't already have all the spirits, like I do, to keep playing but it's not news. They have not said anything on the pass or Joker since he was announced. We still don't even have a date. We have possibly April since some ads don't even say coming in April now. Yes in December they confirmed DLC characters will have stages just like newcomers last game but we still don't know Joker's, we don't even know his moveset. The most they have shown on Joker officially is a five-second clip on his back. I'm sorry but right now we have no Smash news and it is a really frustrating wait with poor communication just like any other drought.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I do agree 3rd party characters inclusions should be more focus on their ties with Nintendo's history and that is one of the reasons why I hope we see Banjo & Kazooie at E3. But Crash though has almost as much as of a connection to Nintendo's history as Sonic since he was the face of their biggest rival during the late 90s Sony. Crash would be a awesome consolation prize for us if we don't get Banjo & Kazooie in the Season Pass though.
I can definitely agree with him being a big icon in terms of having been a big rival for Nintendo back in the 90s along with Sonic, being the closest to matching their success as a cartoony platforming mascot, but sadly, cuz I didn't grow up with Playstation at all, only having gotten the PS4 as my first Sony console in recent years, he just doesn't do a thing for me. I'm sure people would be super hyped if he got in, but for me, Banjo & Kazooie are the only characters that would truly make me hyped. But I'm sure if he got in instead, people would be satisfied with his inclusion. I'd be personally disappointed though to once again not have the bear and bird where they truly belong, especially since they are not only from my all-time favorite video games outside of Smash, games that I grew up with, but because I feel this would be their last chance to get into the spotlight.

Last edited:

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
The spirit battles? That's not news. I guess it helps if you don't already have all the spirits, like I do, to keep playing but it's not news. They have not said anything on the pass or Joker since he was announced. We still don't even have a date. We have possibly April since some ads don't even say coming in April now. Yes in December they confirmed DLC characters will have stages just like newcomers last game but we still don't know Joker's, we don't even know his moveset. The most they have shown on Joker officially is a five-second clip on his back. I'm sorry but right now we have no Smash news and it is a really frustrating wait with poor communication just like any other drought.
I’m not talking about the individual Spirits, I’m talking about the fact that they gave us a Multiplayer version of Spirit Board alongside Piranha Plant at the end of January/start of February.

It’s been two months since we got content and we’ll have content by the end of the month. That’s what I’m saying qualifies this period as pretty normal for game related development and DLC periods.

But I’ll drop this so we don’t just take up the thread with a back and fourth.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I can definitely agree with him being a big icon in terms of having been a big rival for Nintendo back in the 90s along with Sonic, being the closest to matching their success as a cartoony platforming mascot, but sadly, cuz I didn't grow up with Playstation at all, only having gotten the PS4 as my first Sony console in recent years, he just doesn't do a thing for me. I'm sure people would be super hyped if he got in, but for me, Banjo & Kazooie are the only characters that would truly make me hyped. But I'm sure if he got in instead, people would be satisfied with his inclusion. I'd be personally disappointed though to once again not have the bear and bird where they truly belong, especially since they are not only from my all-time favorite video games outside of Smash, games that I grew up with, but because I feel this would be their last chance to get into the spotlight.
This roster would feel so perfect or almost complete if we mange to get both Banjo & Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I’m not talking about the individual Spirits, I’m talking about the fact that they gave us a Multiplayer version of Spirit Board alongside Piranha Plant at the end of January/start of February.

It’s been two months since we got content and we’ll have content by the end of the month. That’s what I’m saying qualifies this period as pretty normal for game related development and DLC periods.

But I’ll drop this so we don’t just take up the thread with a back and fourth.
Fine, I'll drop it too but content without updates in the interim isn't a good way to do it. Knowing anything about Joker would make this easier to swallow. This current trend they have with Ultimate of just dropping without warning and buildup is causing droughts whereas the wait should feel easier than DLC in 4.

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ubisoft's involvement with smash is really strange. It looks like they really want to help. But they don't want to commit to a fighter.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Goddamn this dry spell is absolutely frustrating. I don't remember the wait for Mewtwo being this long
I think it has to do with better online, conquest mode, more unique modes and, the most important part, way more characters than before. That and they didn’t tell us how many DLC characters we were getting back in Smash 4, most people probably thought Mewtwo would be the only one

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Ubisoft's involvement with smash is really strange. It looks like they really want to help. But they don't want to commit to a fighter.
It's so weird cause Ubisoft and Nintendo seem super close, even supporting Nintendo on Wii U, and Ubisoft still doesn't seem like they want a fighter. I'd love Rayman almost second to Banjo

Dinoman96

Smash Master

Rayman pretty much doesn't exist in Japan, so I can see why Sakurai wouldn't really want to make him a playable character, even if Ubisoft asked.

The above are all the Rayman games released in Japan and they all sold...yeah.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Which sucks cuz Rayman has a LOT of potential as a fighter, not to mention a ton of cartoony personality to work with. I agree with UnknownJ25 though, he would be a close second after Banjo & Kazooie for me as a hype fighter. At least he does have Brawlhalla though.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Rayman pretty much doesn't exist in Japan, so I can see why Sakurai wouldn't really want to make him a playable character, even if Ubisoft asked.

The above are all the Rayman games released in Japan and they all sold...yeah.
Not even the Rabbids have gotten anything more than referencing their appearance in the Mario crossover.

Ubi's basically been reduced to "notice me senpai" levels at this stage.

At least he does have Brawlhalla though.
A free to play Smash clone in which everyone's movesets work the same, with superficial differences. Even being in Brawlout would be better than this.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Better than having nothing at all which at this point is Banjo & Kazooie's situation *sighs*
That's what they said about Mighty Number 9. :4pacman:And at least in that case, the Mighty Gunvolt games more than made up for that.

Granted, it doesn't help that there literally hasn't been a new main Rayman game in years, only a Switch version of Legends in the interim.

Last edited:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Okay this might be a gigantic reach but... Capcom teased a big announcement tomorrow and NintendoLife swooped in

Now, correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Indiegamerchick leak "Something that'll plug in your TV" awhile back? Like, back when she mentioned Rare Replay coming to Switch? We all at the time just assumed it was the N64 Classic.

Sabi at least seems interested

There was a problem fetching the tweet

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Okay this might be a gigantic reach but... Capcom teased a big announcement tomorrow and NintendoLife swooped in

Now, correct me if I'm wrong... but didn't Indiegamerchick leak "Something that'll plug in your TV" awhile back? Like, back when she mentioned Rare Replay coming to Switch? We all at the time just assumed it was the N64 Classic.

Sabi at least seems interested

There was a problem fetching the tweet
It's Capcom so it doesn't have anything to do with Banjo...

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
That's what they said about Mighty Number 9. :4pacman:And at least in that case, the Mighty Gunvolt games more than made up for that.

Granted, it doesn't help that there literally hasn't been a new main Rayman game in years, only a Switch version of Legends in the interim.
Once again, still better than Banjo-Kazooie's situation. Other than a guest spot in the Xbox version of Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed, being on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 and Rare Replay for Xbox One, and a skin in Minecraft recently, there hasn't been a legit appearance of Banjo & Kazooie since 2010 at least (in said aforementioned game).

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
The core difference between the wait for Mewtwo VS the wait for Joker is just... it was Mewtwo, everyone knew what to expect from him. Joker is entirely new.

Right off the bat they were upfront in Mewtwo being super early in development. Joker's dev time has been largely a mystery so we had no idea how far in development he was at the time of his reveal. You'd think we'd have gotten maybe a bit more information by now but Atlus is seemingly forcing Nintendo to play it close to the vest so its frustrating.

Also keep in mind, we got Mewtwo's reveal trailer at the beginning of the month even though he came out at the end of it. We're now halfway through April and still no sign of Joker OR the 3.0 update.

Joker constantly feels just out of reach
This basically hits the nail on the head for the most part. The only thing I disagree with is how Atlus is forcing Nintendo to do anything, because right now that's just an assumption; there's nothing beyond Atlus's past actions to suggest that's the case, and I'd rather not jump the gun and accuse them of anything until we have something concrete.

BZocky

Smash Ace
The Mewtwo/Joker comparison is flawed because in Smash 4, they didn't really announce the DLC in a Fighters Pass-like fashion before the game released.

With 4, we never really knew how much DLC we were getting, so we never had a specific number of unknown "slots" to fill. With Ultimate, we know at the very least we are still getting four brand new, yet to be revealed characters with stages and music. It's a completely different situation and that's why the wait seems longer even though it's not.
You forgot additionally that we knew pretty much how Mewtwo would play from when he was announced since he was already in a Smash game.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Once again, still better than Banjo-Kazooie's situation. Other than a guest spot in the Xbox version of Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed, being on Xbox Live Arcade for Xbox 360 and Rare Replay for Xbox One, and a skin in Minecraft recently, there hasn't been a legit appearance of Banjo & Kazooie since 2010 at least (in said aforementioned game).
Hey

They were in #IDARB

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Not so much it relating DIRECTLY to Banjo, but more in the line of thinking of: "If she actually leaked this she might be right about Rare Replay coming to Switch"
But. Didn't she say that Nintendo was working with rare on a plug and play system? That still wouldn't make sense because this is capcom.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
But. Didn't she say that Nintendo was working with rare on a plug and play system? That still wouldn't make sense because this is capcom.
This wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility. If Nintendo's working with Capcom for a plug n play system then IGC's comment would mean something. Not 100% right, but on the right track.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
yeah I think IndieGamerChick was specifically talking Nintendo so I don't think Capcom matters here, she seemed to hint at an N64 Classic especially since she's a Microsoft employee and flat-out said what she heard before deleting her stuff (but to be honest I don't remember if she specifically said N64 Classic).

She's not the only one who has made it seem apparent that Banjo in Smash rumors have been going around in Microsoft, though.

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Not so much it relating DIRECTLY to Banjo, but more in the line of thinking of: "If she actually leaked this she might be right about Rare Replay coming to Switch"
She was specifically talking about how the Nintendo/Microsoft relationship began. Things that plugged into your TV was eluding to the N64 classic (which I know for a fact was a thing at one point, whether it releases or not is another story).

Top Bottom