• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Why are we acting like we don't know who Polar Panda is? I swear she was a common name around here. You know the one with the Nintendo ambassador friend? I guess not all of you frequent the Geno thread then. But she tends to be correct and apologies for when she is wrong.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Why are we acting like we don't know who Polar Panda is? I swear she was a common name around here. You know the one with the Nintendo ambassador friend? I guess not all of you frequent the Geno thread then. But she tends to be correct and apologies for when she is wrong.
That would probably be why, I personally don't go to threads of characters I don't care about.

I've been on this thread back when it was barely breaking 1,000 comments and unless I missed it I don't really recall seeing it pop up on this thread.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Ah, gotcha. I know I had heard her brought up once or twice in this thread, but not as much as other leakers and such. Any examples of leaks and stuff she was correct about in the past just to gauge her trustworthiness?

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
Ah, gotcha. I know I had heard her brought up once or twice in this thread, but not as much as other leakers and such. Any examples of leaks and stuff she was correct about in the past just to gauge her trustworthiness?
I really don't have a list anywhere. But it normally tends to be stuff that an ambassador would know. So they tend to get Direct announcements right and whats in them. They were once of the first to say stuff about Super Mario Maker 2. But yeah I really don't have a list of everything they got right laying around.

TheHeartbreakKid

Smash Journeyman
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand why Chief and Steve are brought up alongside Banjo?

With the former being flat-out deconfirmed, and the latter being a joke consideration until two leakers made unprovable claims (both of whom have been completely BTFO by getting other **** hilariously wrong since), Banjo to me is EASILY the bankable MS rep, with Cuphead in second.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand why Chief and Steve are brought up alongside Banjo?

With the former being flat-out deconfirmed, and the latter being a joke consideration until two leakers made unprovable claims (both of whom have been completely BTFO by getting other **** hilariously wrong since), Banjo to me is EASILY the bankable MS rep, with Cuphead in second.
Cuphead's just been deconfirmed too.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Cuphead's just been deconfirmed too.
Yeah I saw that. Unless there's future DLC, Cuphead definitely won't be on the Fighter's Pass because the creator of the game said that he'd love to have them in Smash, and would have no issue collaborating with Nintendo. If Cuphead was DLC, this wouldn't have been said.

People typically poo-poo on indie characters making it into Smash, yet they call Cuphead likely even though he’s also an indie character lol. Just an observation

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
OOH ME KNACKERS

"Now get the **** outta of my property"

You gotta love Grant, I would love to see them do Banjo-Tooie's Final Boss (Hag 1)

----

While I think Cuphead looks great ,I personally don't like the idea of indies joining Smash as fighters, That's why Brawlout exist, if your going to get in as a 3rd Party Character in Super Smash Bros then you sure as hell better have the legacy/track record and status to get an invitation, Even minor or lesser known Nintendo characters have the advantage because obviously they are own by Nintendo so they get a pass.

But the way I see it 3rd Party Characters have to be a big name or have had a big impact on Nintendo's history and Banjo-Kazooie fits in to both categories because of Rare's impact on Nintendo, Even other characters like Bomberman, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro The Dragon, Rayman, Heihachi or hell even Master Chief have stronger legacy and make way more sense too. If the roster was up to me than I probably wouldn't even include Bayonetta or Joker ,But Sakurai is the one who calls the shots and at least their still bigger names than your average indie

I'm sorry, But indie characters should be in the back of the line when there is bigger fish to fry. If Shovel Knight barely got in as an assist, What makes people think "Indie Character X" has a chance and the "Status" to stand along side some of the longtime and iconic biggest 3rd Party names in the industry like Pac-Man, Sonic, Mega-Man, Ryu and Snake?

Last edited by a moderator:

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm so while browsing the Gamefaqs board, I stumbled upon a thread where someone posted a video of Mojang saying in a conference that they had not been approached by Nintendo for anything. This was in September 2018. I feel like the video might have been discussed here, but I'm not sure. Now it doesn't mean that Mojang couldn't have been approached after, but if it's true that Mojang had absolutely no involvement in Smash prior to September 2018, then Vergeben was wrong on Minecraft content being in Smash.

Last edited:

SegaNintendoUbisoft

The Amateur Artist
NNID
S.N.U0203
3DS FC
4725-8740-7336
I don’t really see a Rare Replay port to Switch replacing the Xbox Rare games with the Nintendo focused ones. A lot of those Xbox Rare games are featured heavily in the intro, and I doubt removing them would be worth the effort. They would essentially be advertising games NOT in the compilation.

Now, adding the DKC trilogy, DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, and Star Fox Adventures in addition to the 30 games in the original release, I can see that happening.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm gonna come right out and say it. I fully believe Banjo getting in Smash would create more shock waves online then Steve.

Minecraft in smash would feel more like a sarcastic "big deal", kinda like when it was announced the game would be on Switch or 3DS. People are glad to have it, but it's not really something people get excited about these days.

Mean while Banjo in Smash would be like a return to glory for an age old beloved character. Nostalgia would run wild, the new model would make us cry (no way Steve can do that). His absence in the industry would be WHY his return would be such a big deal. Think K Rool

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
I'm gonna come right out and say it. I fully believe Banjo getting in Smash would create more shock waves online then Steve.

Minecraft in smash would feel more like a sarcastic "big deal", kinda like when it was announced the game would be on Switch or 3DS. People are glad to have it, but it's not really something people get excited about these days.

Mean while Banjo in Smash would be like a return to glory for an age old beloved character. Nostalgia would run wild, the new model would make us cry (no way Steve can do that). His absence in the industry would be WHY his return would be such a big deal. Think K Rool
Especially when people are writing off banjo in favor of Steve being "more likely", banjo would create more shock value.

Smash fans seem to think a majority gamers are 12 years old and only care about Minecraft and fortnite and any game that hasn't had a new release in half a year is irrelevant. People love old "irrelevant" games.

Crash and spyro games getting remade, a new psychonauts game, crash team racing, indie titles usually having a nostalgic pixel art style need I go on?

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, adding more games to Rare Replay would just go against their original mission statement. It was a celebration of 30 years of Rare so they decided on one game per year. Plus, the game is 30 bucks which ties into the aforementioned “30s.”

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Hmmm so while browsing the Gamefaqs board, I stumbled upon a thread where someone posted a video of Mojang saying in a conference that they had not been approached by Nintendo for anything. This was in September 2018. I feel like the video might have been discussed here, but I'm not sure. Now it doesn't mean that Mojang couldn't have been approached after, but if it's true that Mojang had absolutely no involvement in Smash prior to September 2018, then Vergeben was wrong on Minecraft content being in Smash.
Yeah people tend to ignore that soft deconfirm...and the Duck Hunt theory based off actual data...and you know the stats that line up with Banjo...

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I saw that just now on the same board. It would mean that both Hitagi and Vergeben were wrong about Minecraft stuff already being planned for the game. And I find it hard to imagine them getting through negotiations and all that in such a short amount of time.

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
When did sakurai tweet about the dlc being decided on?

GenoFlash

Smash Journeyman
Got a link/source?

Lycan Rex

Smash Ace
November, a lil less than a week after the direct.
...Interesting

*puts on detective hat while smoking pipe*

Assuming that mojang indeed wasn't contacted prior to that tweet, that would be give or take 2 months to settle agreements of Steve being dlc.
Anyone here familiar with copyright laws? Would that be enough time?

AugustusB

Smash Champion
.....What a time to be alive!

With Cuphead coming to the Switch, I would be shocked if Rare Replay was not coming to the Switch.

With all the 'Deluxe' and 'Definitive' editions of games we have gotten and are getting, I feel it would be like a 'Nintendo' Edition of Rare Replay. Understanding this is celebrating their 30th anniversary, I believe this can work.

Apparently from the Geno thread, there is a rumor of a Nintendo/Microsoft project in the works or has been in the works along with a sequel of sorts. The sequel is not with Microsoft.

SKX31

Smash Master

Chief and Steve are major characters (no matter if deconfirmed or not. And lets not get into Frank potentially trolling or outright lying like he did with Halo 2 Anniversary edition. That's another can of worms I'm sure this thread would not survive.) and thus are seen as Banjo competition. I wouldn't be surprised if that's also fueled by fears that this will be the only fighter pass. Something I really doubt given Ultimate's success and the Switch's great position, but I digress. Also, the three characters likely made the shortlist in the discussions between Microsoft and Nintendo (I would not be surprised if the discussions went on for so long that no Microsoft character could make it into the base game). No matter who got in first (I'm pretty confident all three will get in eventually).

Given how ready people are to defend their turf when they feel threatened, is it any wonder that the whole shebang about Steve and Chief in relation to Banjo went on for so goddamn long? And that no one* came out better for it? I'm really sick of it myself. There could have been a lot of discussions about how a Banjo-Threeie would work instead (something I'm unsure of) instead for example.

Eventually seems like a word used for excuses, when B-K's been inactive for 10+ years (I'm pretty sure that's a major reason why the absolute hardcore Banjo fans have been acting antsy. This is seen as the big comeback chance). But you never know - Star Fox recently got a shot in the arm after years of being grounded for example. Even if B-K doesn't get in, I'll be very happy if a Banjo game's in the works still. Especially if it gets some unique worlds (not just Lava level, maybe Lava level in a vaguely Indian / Pacific setting? There's precedent when Mayahem Temple in Tooie was vaguely Aztec / Maya).

*(Edited to remove a possible erronous reference to another user. Made in haste. Also edited in the Xbox general thread, specifically SpectreJordan's post there because I made the mistake of not linking it.)

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't really see why they wouldn't port Rare Replay for Switch from their selection of ports, It's the most obvious one from a business stand point that makes too much sense since Microsoft and Nintendo should know that most fans of Rare are Nintendo's audience, I guess it's just a matter of they can overcome some technical hurdles.

I can definitely see it announced later this year maybe even E3.

Last edited:

Substitute

Smash Apprentice

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Yo guys, forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I stumbled across a point made by a Reddit user that may not have been made here.

You know how there are two Rare IPs in the game's code, the games being Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini? Well, while possibly nothing, in Rare Replay, the chronology of the Rare titles has both IPs sandwiching the Bird and Bear:

rarereplay.JPG

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Yo guys, forgive me if this has already been addressed, but I stumbled across a point made by a Reddit user that may not have been made here.

You know how there are two Rare IPs in the game's code, the games being Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini? Well, while possibly nothing, in Rare Replay, the chronology of the Rare titles has both IPs sandwiching the Bird and Bear:

View attachment 200070
That is kind of interesting. Kind of reaching, but still a nice find in this sea of hints, rumors, etc.

Top Bottom