• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Rare is moving into a new era. Lots of the old Rare employees are gone. I haven't kept track, but maybe all of them are gone. It only makes sense for them as a company to move forward and create new IPs. They wouldn't know how to properly bring franchises back. That's probably why Battletoads isn't being worked on by them. What frustrates me, however, is that Rare acts like there is no demand for stuff like Banjo. People literally tweet them about their classic games all the time, and sometimes they even tweet about them as well. What's the big deal if they sell some franchises to Nintendo? It's not like they are doing anything aside from Sea of Thieves.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
Would Nintendo want to spend money on a sorta dead franchise like BK?

I kinda wonder how much a new BK game would sell in 2019 too.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Rare is moving into a new era. Lots of the old Rare employees are gone. I haven't kept track, but maybe all of them are gone. It only makes sense for them as a company to move forward and create new IPs. They wouldn't know how to properly bring franchises back. That's probably why Battletoads isn't being worked on by them. What frustrates me, however, is that Rare acts like there is no demand for stuff like Banjo. People literally tweet them about their classic games all the time, and sometimes they even tweet about them as well. What's the big deal if they sell some franchises to Nintendo? It's not like they are doing anything aside from Sea of Thieves.
Ever work in retail? Specifically an area where you deal with a lot of things getting thrown out? The stuff is just trash to them. Pure garbage. Unless you want to take some of it for yourself that is. In that case, suddenly you'd be stealing.

My point is, most of the time, a company would rather let something go to waste rather than see anyone get it without said company making money on it.

In this instance, it's Rare preferring B-K to stagnate rather than sell it for a one time profit then watch as someone else makes bank.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Gonna copy over my list of my personal 14 most wanted newcomers from the Shantae thread

1. Shantae
2. Banjo-Kazooie
3. Steve?
4. Heavy Weapons Guy
5. Ryu Hayabusa
6. DoomGuy/DoomSlayer
7. Master Chief
8. Erdrick
9. Sora
10. Agitha
11. Girl from Volleyball/Volleyball Player (NES)
12. Mach Rider
13. Edward Richtofen
14. ? Block

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
Most wanteds and not most likely? Alright, in that case...

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Cranky Kong
3. 9-Volt
4. Dixie Kong
5. Sans
6. the Harvest Moon guy
7. Balloon Fighter
8. Erdrick
9. Ms. Pac-Man
10. Impa
11. Tetris (I don't care how, just make it happen)
12. Poochy
13. Porky
14. Professor Hector (and how about a stage for ROB to go along with him, eh!)

As long as we get Banjo-Kazooie I'm cool though. But if any of the above actually happened, I'd be giddy.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha glad to see my 14 character question has bled into other threads :4dk:

Here's my list:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Banjo Kazooie
3. Geno
4. Balloon Fighter
5. Rayman
6. Tails
7. Aiai
8. Tetra
9. Team Rocket (Meowth, Arbok and Weezing)
10. Crash Bandicoot
11. Knuckles
12. Captain Toad
13. Shantae
14. Kamek

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
Would Nintendo want to spend money on a sorta dead franchise like BK?

I kinda wonder how much a new BK game would sell in 2019 too.
I'd wager that nostalgia alone could make the game at least break even. If its a fine game, It will sell well. If Hat in Time and Cuphead can sell 1 million each, then Banjo easily can.

Besides, if being a sorta dead series was a concern for Nintendo, then we wouldnt have :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultmegaman: or probably even :ultpacman:. Instead we'd have Fortniter with a PUBG echo, a Fifa player (personally I would main Goalie), Candy Crush, and Bubsy (because, you know, everyone was asking for Bubsy to come back).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I'd wager that nostalgia alone could make the game at least break even. If its a fine game, It will sell well. If Hat in Time and Cuphead can sell 1 million each, then Banjo easily can.

Besides, if being a sorta dead series was a concern for Nintendo, then we wouldnt have :ultsimon::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultmegaman: or probably even :ultpacman:. Instead we'd have Fortniter with a PUBG echo, a Fifa player (personally I would main Goalie), Candy Crush, and Bubsy (because, you know, everyone was asking for Bubsy to come back).
I still can't believe that Choice Provisions ended up being the devs for the upcoming Bubsy game. How they wound up into that situation is beyond me.

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus

Not a dead series, but King K. Rool was most certainly dead, and they brought him back too. And if we're going by series or characters from the 90s, look no further than Cloud, his game came out in 1997, and since then, it's been nothing but spin-offs and cameos, yet he still got into Smash Bros., and as DLC too... The situation is not all that different from what it could be for Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace

If Bubsy, freaking Bubsy, can come back with TWO sequels after being 'dead' for over 20 years, Banjo-Kazooie could easily make a comeback. Literally, all they need is either a place in Smash or a remaster of their original games on the Switch and they'd be solid. Heck, I know I wouldn't complain about much of anything if both or either of those things happened.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Since everyone is doing newcomer lists, I'll throw mine into the mix as well

1a. Banjo & Kazooie
1b. Waluigi
1c. Dixie Kong
4. Isaac
5. Dr. Robotnik
6. Funky Kong
7. Gruntilda
8. Captain Syrup
9. Black Shadow
10 . Knuckles
11. Takamaru
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Marx
14. Micaiah

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Rayman
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Master Chief
5. Amateratsu
6. Sceptile
7. Dr. Eggman
8. Crono
9. Sora
10. Doomguy
11. Hades
12. Slime
13. Monster Hunter
14. Sans

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
We doing top 14s now? That's an odd number but here we go.
1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Dixie Kong
4. Porky
5. Dr. Robotnik
6. Gruntilda
7. 9-Volt
8. Captain Syrup
9. Black Shadow
10.Erdrick
11. Skull Kid
12.Tingle
13.Pig Ganon
14.Mach Rider

SirCamp

Smash Ace
My list would be:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Isaac
3. Dixie Kong
4. Bomberman
5. Goemon
6. Captain Syrup
7. Erdrick/Slime/Eight/DQ rep
8. Impa
9. Tingle
10. Advance Wars rep
11. Rhythm Heaven rep
12. Crash or Spyro
13. Sora
14. Jack (Harvest Moon)

This is of course magical Christmas land and I'm including assist trophies because I need me some Isaac and Bomberman.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Since everyone is doing newcomer lists, I'll throw mine into the mix as well

1a. Banjo & Kazooie
1b. Waluigi
1c. Dixie Kong
4. Isaac
5. Dr. Robotnik
6. Funky Kong
7. Gruntilda
8. Captain Syrup
9. Black Shadow
10 . Knuckles
11. Takamaru
12. Samurai Goroh
13. Marx
14. Micaiah
You sir, you get a like just for calling him Robotnik

Also, I have to ask, all of you listing DQ reps, did you all think about/want one before all this Erdrick chatter blew up? Not being smart or judgmental, just genuine curiosity here.

Last edited:

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
If K. Rool can come back, Banjo most certainly can. Nintendo clearly didn't like K. Rool but then when the fan demand slapped them in the face they gave us what we wanted and according to the info BKuppa got a while back we'll be seeing more K. Rool going forward. Banjo at least has the support of Xbox''s head guy so that's a plus.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
Didn't list Assist Trophies. If I had, Skull Kid would be on there.

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Black Shadow (or any other F-Zero character that's not Blood Falcon)
3. Porky
4. Hades
5. Captain Syrup
6. Geno
7. Doomguy
8. Rayman
9. Soda Popinski
10. Chosen Undead
11. Gengar
12. Mike Haggar
13. Kass
14. Rawk Hawk (never going to happen lmao)

The only characters that are even slightly realistic are 1, 3, 7, 10 and probably 13.

Anthess

Smash Rookie
Ok let's Try.

01. Felix
02. Isaac
03. Banjo-Kazooie
04. Skull Kid
05. Lanky Kong
06. Impa
07. Cranky Kong
08. Dixie Kong
09. Soren
10. Sans
11. Lyn
12. Geno
13. Shadow
14. Gengar

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
They're not all gone, in fact the main guy behind Banjo was Gregg Mayles and he's in a high position at Rare now... Sadly he also doesn't seem to be interested in Banjo anymore.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Banjo is still my most wanted, but I’m going to remain cautious and assume he won’t get in, because i’d rather be wrong about him not being in than the other way around, you know?

They're not all gone, in fact the main guy behind Banjo was Gregg Mayles and he's in a high position at Rare now... Sadly he also doesn't seem to be interested in Banjo anymore.
With so many studios reviving the collectathon platform genre in recent years, I would hope they would at least acknowledge the fan demand and outsource a new Banjo game to one of those studios

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
We doing top 14s now? That's an odd number but here we go.
1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Geno
3. Dixie Kong
4. Porky
5. Dr. Robotnik
6. Gruntilda
7. 9-Volt
8. Captain Syrup
9. Black Shadow
10.Erdrick
11. Skull Kid
12.Tingle
13.Pig Ganon
14.Mach Rider
It's related to the recent datamine.

You sir, you get a like just for calling him Robotnik

Also, I have to ask, all of you listing DQ reps, did you all think about/want one before all this Erdrick chatter blew up? Not being smart or judgmental, just genuine curiosity here.
Haven't listed any, but I do want Jessica, Slime and/or at least one character from IV.

Basically, doing it before it was "cool".

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Banjo is still my most wanted, but I’m going to remain cautious and assume he won’t get in, because i’d rather be wrong about him not being in than the other way around, you know?
Not to mention we have been burnt way too many times before, As fans of the franchise we have to remain "Cautiously Optimistic".

Remember the best thing to ever happen to the franchise since Banjo-Tooie (2000) and the Buyout (2002) is Rare Replay and that what was just an XBLA port.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not to mention we have been burnt way too many times before, As fans of the franchise we have to remain "Cautiously Optimistic".

Remember the best thing to ever happen to the franchise since Banjo-Tooie (2000) and the Buyout (2002) is Rare Replay and that what was just an XBLA port.
At least unlike Geno there's still nothing related to BK in the game.

Though if they are indeed not in, it still doesn't explain what the JFG and Blast Corps data is doing in the game cart in the first place...

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
At least unlike Geno there's still nothing related to BK in the game.

Though if they are indeed not in, it still doesn't explain what the JFG and Blast Corps data is doing in the game cart in the first place...
That Rare spirits data mine is what's still keeping my hopes up since it's actually real and apparently there's proof ,There has to be a good reason that they were in there and I don't buy that they were accidentally included and removed because of unaware rights ownership.

I honestly believe that Banjo-Kazooie were heavily considered for the base roster and were moved to DLC last minute because of "Business Reasons" between Nintendo and Microsoft on how they wanted to approach it which would explain the scrapped Rare spirits that were apparently gonna be included along side Banjo-Kazooie.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
That Rare spirits data mine is what's still keeping my hopes up since it's actually real and apparently there's proof ,There has to be a good reason that they were in there and I don't buy that they were accidentally included and removed because of unaware rights ownership.

I honestly believe that Banjo-Kazooie were heavily considered for the base roster and were moved to DLC last minute because of "Business Reasons" between Nintendo and Microsoft on how they wanted to approach it which would explain the scrapped Rare spirits that were apparently gonna be included along side Banjo-Kazooie.
Theres no way the name wasnt brought up at least once or twice. I cant see a situation where Sakurai suggested to Nintendo about Banjo, and higher ups just went "Ew, a character owned by those American dogs?? Go put in a Fire Emblem character". A more likely reaction would be "We cant quite fit them into the game and payroll, how about waiting for DLC?". Considering as much ambition as Ultimate already had, working with another party was probably too much for base game. Getting Simon, Richter and Ken would be much easier since Konami and Capcom were already on board since the beginning and could also be jsutified inclusions with the Ballot. And altough Persona 5 didnt come out when Ultimate entered development, I feel it is worth mentioning that Atlus, another new party, got involved after base game, probably for similar reasons.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Theres no way the name wasnt brought up at least once or twice. I cant see a situation where Sakurai suggested to Nintendo about Banjo, and higher ups just went "Ew, a character owned by those American dogs?? Go put in a Fire Emblem character". A more likely reaction would be "We cant quite fit them into the game and payroll, how about waiting for DLC?". Considering as much ambition as Ultimate already had, working with another party was probably too much for base game. Getting Simon, Richter and Ken would be much easier since Konami and Capcom were already on board since the beginning and could also be jsutified inclusions with the Ballot. And altough Persona 5 didnt come out when Ultimate entered development, I feel it is worth mentioning that Atlus, another new party, got involved after base game, probably for similar reasons.
I think just like King K. Rool, (But to a lesser extent) It might be safe to say that Banjo-Kazooie did very well in the Smash Ballot to be heavily considered and top requested overall.

Banjo-Kazooie without a doubt is Rare's biggest, popular and most memorable IP in their arsenal so if Rare is indeed involved with Smash and a character from their IP catalogue were to be chosen then it's only natural to select the most obvious choice, It would be very puzzling if Nintendo and Microsoft negotiated only for a couple of spirits to appear in a later update without adressing the big elephant in the room.

All we can hope is that Banjo-Kazooie appeared high enough on the ballot to grab Nintendo and Sakurai's attention to ask themselves "How cool would it be to finally bring back this long lost duo that used to be under our umbrella of Nintendo characters?"

It would truly be the biggest comeback story in Smash Ultimate for the bear and bird on the same level of King K.Rool, maybe even more so considering the current state of the BK franchise and what it once was under Nintendo.

Last edited:

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
Seeing Dixie Kong in so many of your top 14 lists is making me smile.

If like K. Rool, she got in the game with Banjo, I would feel obliged to send Sakurai a large personal letter of appreciation. The roster would be literally perfect at that point imo, with any additions beyond that being an always welcome bonus.

But just those two at this point would make the roster feel so damn complete.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
While I’m here, I might as well make my top 14 too. Here goes.
1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Conker
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Rayman
5. Dixie Kong
6. Shovel Knight
7. Eggman
8. Funky Kong
9. Slippy Toad
10. Sunflower (PvZ)
11. Heavy (TF2)
12. Earthworm Jim
13. Waluigi
14. Super Monkey (Bloons TD)

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
There's little point in predicting the DLC at this stage, but if I could have my dream lineup (reasonably), I would select something like:

Pass 1:
Joker
Banjo
Rayman
Dixie Kong
Leon Kennedy*

Pass 2:
Crash Bandicoot
Earthworm Jim
Sir Arthur
Waluigi
Bill Rizer*

Pass 3:
Spyro The Dragon
Morrigan
Ryo Hazuki
Master Chief
Billy Lee*

*w/ Chris Redfield echo
*w/ RD008 Probotector echo
*w/ Jimmy Lee echo

Last edited:

RatVicodine

Smash Rookie
New here, but I love lists. So here’s mine:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Tails
3. Dixie Kong
4. Sylux
5. Doom Slayer
6. Muddy Mole
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Waluigi
9. Black Shadow
10. Conker
11. Leon Kennedy
12. Rick (the hamster)
13. Geno
14. Lanky Kong

I feel like Banjo has probably come up before even in previous Smash games, but it’s obviously never worked out, whether that’s the fault of Nintendo or Xbox, we’ll never know. But they’ve always been heavily requested, since way back in the Melee days, so I have a hard time believing Banjo hasn’t already come up before in the past

sm0ke

Smash Cadet
NNID
AwesomeTeen
3DS FC
3351-4136-9511
I'm just gonna drop this here since people are putting their most wanteds anyway
Adobe_20190311_220759.jpg

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord

I love Banjo-Kazooie as much as the next guy, but that last paragraph proves you’re not being cautious: you’re expecting them. Just like we were totally gonna get Banjo-Threeie last year. Just like Banjo was gonna be revealed at the Game Awards since that was his anniversary.

Banjo is still my most wanted, but once again you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I love Banjo-Kazooie as much as the next guy, but that last paragraph proves you’re not being cautious: you’re expecting them. Just like we were totally gonna get Banjo-Threeie last year. Just like Banjo was gonna be revealed at the Game Awards since that was his anniversary.

Banjo is still my most wanted, but once again you guys are setting yourselves up for disappointment.
Last time I tried saying something like that, I pretty much got scolded in the Ninten thread. There's no point in trying to curb young ones' enthusiasm right now, they need to learn on their own as events develop.

Last edited:

ItsMeBrandon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HumanMaleBrandon
His game was good but he was so bland and annoying. Literally anyone else from Xenoblade would be preferable.
Eh, disagree. Rex has an unmistakably cheesy accent and is a bit hot-blooded, and I actually like his character a lot for that. I didn't really find him annoying.

But hey- to each his own. I won't tell people what they should or shouldn't like.
I might be a bit biased, anyway. (You know... if you check my signature.)

SKX31

Smash Master
Let's take a stab at the newcomer list huh?

Pass 1:

1. Joker
2. Erdrick
3. One of Banjo / Master Chief
4. Scorpion
5. Crash

Pass 2:

1. Isaac
2. One of Banjo / Steve
3. Zeratul (StarCraft)
4. Bandana Dee
5. Spring Man or Ribbon Girl