• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm not into marketing or business, but can someone explain to me why it's a good idea to allow people to buy the Fighter's Pass before the characters are even revealed?
Fighters $6 bucks each, Fighters pass is $25.

$5 savings, Not a bad deal if you plan on buying all of the DLC, Might as well save some money while you are at it.

The only drawback is that you might be paying for fighters ahead of time you don't care for or play with.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I'm not into marketing or business, but can someone explain to me why it's a good idea to allow people to buy the Fighter's Pass before the characters are even revealed?
People who want to use their Switch at tournaments can use the pass to ensure their setup will be complete.

Alright, so here's a question for you guys, who's going to get or have already gotten the Fighter Pass preordered? I'm curious and wondering whether or not I should purchase the Fighter Pass without knowing who is in the pass itself ahead of time.
I bought it along with my copy of Smash. I don’t care whether or not I like the characters, I gotta have every available character and stage.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alright, so here's a question for you guys, who's going to get or have already gotten the Fighter Pass preordered? I'm curious and wondering whether or not I should purchase the Fighter Pass without knowing who is in the pass itself ahead of time.
I already bought it. I figured that I liked the newcomers for Smash 4's DLC (with the exception of Corrin at first; I warmed up to him over time, and it helps that Ultimate expanded on franchises that had been ignored for too long, such as Metroid or Donkey Kong), so I figured that I'd more than likely enjoy the characters that we get through DLC as well.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
I already bought the Fighter Pass because 1. I like having all characters, stages, and music, and 2. Sakurai straight-up said that there would be no Echo Fighters here; that means there's only going to be unique fighters, and I trust that they'll at least be fun and interesting like the Smash 4 DLC newcomers were.

SKX31

Smash Master
I did it Day One.

Because, after Joker was announced, I thought "Eh, Sakurai's going to include some stupidly awesome characters either way, lets go. All the way!"

The fact that I'm probably not going to play Joker or any other DLC character (maining Cloud / Ken) extensively doesn't matter if Pirahna Plant and Joker promises a lot of cool stuff.

Now, Sakurai is probably the biggest obstacle Banjo-Kazooie has to clear (he could view the duo any way because of who he is, only way we can be sure is if official confirmation's given), but either way, I reasoned that I'm getting my money's worth with the Fighter Pass.

A 2nd Season fighters pass would only further increase Banjo-Kazooie's chances, You can only ignore top requested character like that for so long and from the looks of it Japan's running out of icon/big name characters since most of them are already in so at somepoint they would have no choice ,But look towards Western characters.

A 2nd Season pass is possible, But probably unlikely and while the install base is massive, I think It all depends on how well the the current pass sells along with individual characters sales and how much gas in the tank the team has left to further support creating and balancing newcomers.
It's normal amongst fighting games to have at least 2 Seasons worth of DLC (SF5, Tekken 7, DBFZ etc.), and Ultimate outsold all three of those examples by country miles. Not guaranteeing more Fighter Passes, no, but I would not rule out a very long support period (multiple Fighter Passes + a Deluxe edition for the next Nintendo console a la Mario Kart 8). Hell, Tekken 7 included Walking Dead's Negan amongst its DLC, we simply don't know what's going to be in Ultimate at this moment.

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
They gotta make it worth it to me. Only way I'm paying for four characters without knowing all of them is if Banjo gets announced. Otherwise, I'm picking and choosing who I buy, if any. Of course, if they all get announced without Banjo and I like at least four, well, that's a pass purchase too, albeit an extremely bittersweet one.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
They gotta make it worth it to me. Only way I'm paying for four characters without knowing all of them is if Banjo gets announced. Otherwise, I'm picking and choosing who I buy, if any. Of course, if they all get announced without Banjo and I like at least four, well, that's a pass purchase too, albeit an extremely bittersweet one.
No Banjo, no buy for me. Unless there is a character I like, nothing else from me.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
And that depends on how well the 1st set of passes sells. Call me crazy here but if they really wanted them to sell well they would stick with fan favorite characters instead of shill picks.
The fact that it's Smash Bros kinda sells characters themselves, no matter how lame or ridiculous a character seems. Even if we get something way out there like Jazz the Jackrabbit, Bokoblin or Adam from Metroid Other M, you'll still have people buying them either because they're good on the tier list or because they think the inclusion is funny. So they could easily make a pack of shill picks and they will still be heading to the bank. Not that I disagree with your reasoning, but Nintendo doesn't always make choices that seem logical at first (or decades later).

I'm simply waiting for a character that I really want to be confirmed before I buy. Banjo, Doomguy, Rayman, Dante, Master Chief, Hat Kid, 2B, anyone that I'm a fan of (If I played and enjoyed a game I'm usually behind fitting it's characters into Smash) could get confirmed and I'll buy it. One character is all it takes, but I'm not going in head first without any confirmations.

And if I get no characters I want, then I just wont buy it. My main crew already preordered the dlc it day one because they're all huge Persona bros so I could just rely on them for trying out dlc characters. And who knows, maybe I'll become a Joker main and buy the dlc later anyways. But the point stands that if I don't want it, why should I buy it?

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Me personally I am very picky when it comes to characters, I really only play the ones from franchises I play and care about, So I will wait and see what the remaining 4 fighters are before I fork over some dough and will only buy the ones that appeal to my personal taste.

I personally don't care for Joker as I never played the Persona series before or have much interest to play it so that would be a no on the fighter pass for me so far, Banjo-Kazooie is really the only character that I am desperate to see make the cut, But if the fighter pass includes more platforming mascots which are my favorite video game character archetype like Crash Bandicoot or maybe even a 8th Generation Pokemon then I would buy a couple of more fighters than just BK.

HotelSoapy!

Smash Apprentice
I just went ahead and bought the Fighters Pass with Ultimate. I just like Smash that much. Ive never played Persona but I know I will still get hyped over Joker when he comes out.

Im like a lot of you though, the only one I really really want is Banjo.

Last edited:

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
Thanks guys, I'm definitely mixed on whether I want to blindly buy it just to have it despite not knowing who's in or waiting till Banjo & Kazooie are officially announced, if at all. I'm hoping if it turns out Banjo & Kazooie don't make it in, which will be devastating to me, hopefully they'll have characters worth buying. I'm like a lot of you guys too, I want to have Smash in its entirety, that's how I was with Sm4sh, got all the DLC for both versions despite Banjo & Kazooie not making it in. I hope this time though they make it in and make it worth my while.

Last edited:

DMTN

Smash Journeyman
I'm probably not going to buy all the characters. I have bought all the characters in Street Fighter V, Injustice 2 and Smash 4, just to have a complete roster. But I ended up regretting it. I didn't even touch most of the characters I bought. So I'm only going to buy characters I actually like this time. A great stage could also convince me to buy a character.

Besides, you can enjoy these characters without playing as them. They can appear as opponents or show up at tournaments.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
I mean... most games sell the season pass before all the DLC is announced.... it's usually leaks that reveal the rest of DLC rosters before official reveals. I bough the season pass for DBZ fighters before knowing all the characters

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I will say, as not necessarily wanted as some of the choices might be, it's a bit less of a gamble than Street Fighter V DLC. After the first season, the second one had mostly just new playable SF characters (except Akuma, and technically Abigail I guess, not that anyone really expected him in the series at all), so you had to wait an entire season before getting more veteran SF characters.

Granted, that's the tip of the iceberg in regards to how awkwardly Capcom handled post-release content for that game...

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I'm waiting to buy the pass till we know at least 2-3 of the characters. Cause there's always the scenario where you buy the pass and you don't like any of the other characters

FelFlick

Smash Cadet
In the Geno thread, they are listing 14 next characters to include in the game, based on the 16 slost in WoL rumor. Can we do this here too?

My list of 14:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Chosen Undead
3. Professor Layton
4. Metabee
5. Viewtiful Joe
6. Agumon
7. Rayman
8. Doom Marine
9. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
10. Lloyd Irving
11. Leon Kennedy
12. Shantae
13. Erdrick
14. Ryu Hayabusa

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'll just copy and paste my list that I posted on the Geno thread lol:

1. Goemon
2. Banjo & Kazooie
3. Krystal
4. Dixie Kong
5. Porky
6. Classic Pig Ganon
7. Shantae
8. Marina Liteyears
9. Zero
10. Tron Bonne
11. Geno
12. Isaac (So his fans can be happy.)
13. Medusa
14. Skull Kid

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I'm waiting to buy the pass till we know at least 2-3 of the characters. Cause there's always the scenario where you buy the pass and you don't like any of the other characters
Yeah, I think that was my thinking behind it. By E3, hopefully we'll be able to garner whether or not it's worth paying for.

In the Geno thread, they are listing 14 next characters to include in the game, based on the 16 slost in WoL rumor. Can we do this here too?

My list of 14:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Chosen Undead
3. Professor Layton
4. Metabee
5. Viewtiful Joe
6. Agumon
7. Rayman
8. Doom Marine
9. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
10. Lloyd Irving
11. Leon Kennedy
12. Shantae
13. Erdrick
14. Ryu Hayabusa
Good idea, AND I LOVE YOU FOR ADDING A SNOWBOARD KIDS REP!!! One of my favorite video game series from the N64 days <3 Actually you have quite a few favorites of mine! Basically the top characters are the Grinch leak characters, because I was very happy with the choices and if we could rectify that disappointment in any way despite Issac being relegated to an Assist Trophy and Geno as a Spirit, that'd be terrific. Also, Spring Man really needs to upgrade into a playable character and be available with Ribbon Girl as an alt form, I can't believe they made him an Assist Trophy when he would fit in so well as a fighter. They could use the same kind of gimmick with Simon/Richter's whip to give them lengthy but laggy attacks.
  1. Banjo-Kazooie
  2. Issac (Golden Sun)
  3. Geno (Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars)
  4. Mach Rider/Excitebiker
  5. Chorus Kids & Conductor (Rhythm Heaven)
  6. Slash (Snowboard Kids)
  7. Spring Man/Ribbon Girl (ARMS)
  8. Rayman
  9. Earthworm Jim
  10. Crono (Chrono Trigger)
  11. Viewtiful Joe
  12. Shantae
  13. Lloyd Irving (Tales of Symphonia)
  14. Leon Kennedy/Claire Redfield (Resident Evil)

ChinaCat

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 4209 0037 4617
1. Banjo
2. Geno (for his passionate fans I actually never played mario RPG smh i know)
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. Rayman
5. Earthworm Jim
6. Erdrick
7. Heihachi or another Tekken Rep
8. Issac (for his passionate fans)
9. Rex & Pyra
10. Master Cheif
11. Vivi (black mage)
12. Bandana Dee
13. Paper Mario
14. Mortal Kombat rep (sub zero, scoripion or raiden imo)

15 BONUS! - Regginator joins the battle

Really though at #2 i'd put waluigi unironically but he's an AT so

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
My top 15 is in my signature, seeing as there are 14 spots left after Joker (who was already one of my most wanted before his announcement), that means I have to cut one. I guess Monster Hunter gets the boot since the series is represented by Rathalos already. We can live without them I guess.

Last edited:

dlewis53

Smash Lord
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Sora
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Geno
5. Rayman
6. Spyro
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Dixie Kong
9. Paper Mario
10. Phoenix Wright
11. Rex and Pyra
12. Viewtiful Joe
13. Amaterasu
14. Nights

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Just gonna copypaste my list from the Geno thread...

1: Crash Bandicoot
2: Shantae
3: Poochy
4: Rayman
5: Sobble's evolution
6: Dixie Kong
7: Tails
8: Bandana Dee
9: Adeline
10: Mona
11: Rash
12: Banjo & Kazooie
13: Marco Rossi
14: Master Higgins

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm just going to copy and paste my list from the Geno thread.

In no particular order... (I'm assuming that spirits don't rule characters out, but assist trophies do)

1. Geno (duh)
2. Banjo-Kazooie (assuming that they are or will be options)
3. Elma
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Rex/Pyra/Mythra (assuming that, if we get more than one season pass, Xenoblade 2 characters will be eligible in later ones)
6. Dante from the Devil May Cry series
7. Doomguy
8. Erdrick (Dragon Quest)
9. Heihachi Mishima
10. Wonder Red (The Wonderful 101)
11. Impa
12. Dixie Kong
13. Rayman
14. Terry Bogard (Fatal Fury/The King of Fighters) (I'd also be fine with Geese Howard as a less PREDICTABLE option)

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
Banjo & Kazooie
Geno(for the fans and his legacy)
Shantae(for her fans)
Adeleine
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman
E.Gadd(or King Boo)
Poochi
Porky Minch
Boy & Blob
Dry Bones(i can dream)
Doomslayer
Project Home Rep
Metroid Prime 4 Rep(assuming sylux isn't choosen)

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
Loving these lists. Characters like Marina and Goemon really take me back, and I love them the same way I love Banjo&Kazooie (but not as much, of course).

You know, if we do get a second fighters pass (and I'm almost positive we will with the amount of money they have made + these extra dummy slots), it would actually be difficult for me to see Banjo NOT getting in. There's just no way.

Anywho, my list, in no particular order besides the obvious:

1) Banjo&Kazooie (shocking, I know)
2) Steve
3) Goemon
4) Marina Liteyears
5) Leon Kennedy
6) Erdrick
7) Monster Hunter
8) Turok (Oh yeah)
9) Conker
10) Crash Bandicoot
11) Battletoad
12) Rhythm Heaven Girl
13) Isaac
14) Travis Touchdown

Ugh... choosing was really hard. Im sure I missed some.

LogFrog

Smash Apprentice
Here’s something interesting. Apparently it seems that Rare’s working on a new, secret project. Personally, it might be a new Conker game and they’re saving Banjo for Smash for this year. I really hope this is the case.

D

Deleted member

Gonna just copy what I said in the Geno thread but with rearranging some numbers. The original question stated we can't upgrade assist trophies, for added context.

"These are always fun. Sadly, I can't upgrade my boys Bomberman and Shovel Knight but I'll make do.

1. Banjo - Nostalgia and helped defined an era for Nintendo.
2. Erdrick (or really, just Dragon Quest in general) - Nostalgia, genre-defining, and could use more attention in the west. My brother might also like it. Topical, too.
3. Andy from Advance Wars - My brother would flip the **** out because he loves that series. I appreciate it on its own merits so I think it deserves a place. I was upset when they removed the infantry and tanks assist trophy.
4. Ray from Custom Robo - the game has a perfect Smash Bros moveset ready to be implemented and it's a cool arena battle series. If it became a mii costume, I think that says a lot for now.
5. Adeleine/Bandana Dee - a new Kirby rep would be appreciated since our last one was in Brawl. Adeleine (and Ribbon if they reference Star Allies) would be adorable and would hammer in my Kirby 64 nostalgia. Bandana Dee is practically the fourth member of the Kirby cast now, so it's hard to imagine him not being in. I loved Return to Dreamland so I think Bandana would be a great member to the cast.
6. Paper Mario - I'm a nut for the first two games. The first Paper Mario is pretty much my Super Mario RPG growing up, and Thousand Year Door is just a really solid experience. If they do a mix between Color Splash and Thousand Year Door like the Paper Mario stage, I wouldn't be against it. Paper Mario is still not dead, which is strange to think about.
7. Some Capcom character from UMvC3. I have in my signature Phoenix, Dante, and Zero, but it can be anyone as long as it's not from Street Fighter. I haven't played a lot of their games but I think they would be fun in Smash and deserve their own spot.
8. A Soul Calibur character would be sick. Give me Nightmare, Ivy, Asteroth, Kilik, or literally anyone in Soul Calibur 2 and I'll gasp.
9. ...Max from Bomberman Max? LMAO. I just really want Bomberman as a fighter.
10. If we're discussing a classic arcade or NES character, I want Space Invaders as a fighter. Everyone recognizes Space Invaders... at least I hope. It's one of the most fundamental games out there.
11. I want a first person shooter in Smash. I'm not talking about Metroid Prime, but a series that was originally a shooter, or made its name for being a shooter. We have nothing like them in Smash Bros and I think they can add a lot, visually and conceptually. I'm thinking Master Chief or the DOOM dude.
12. Something about Crash Bandicoot always makes me smile even when I've never played the games. Let's throw him in here since I'm playing the N Sane Trilogy after I finish Shantae Pirate's Curse.
13. Geno - Naturally
14. If I'm being real, the Zelda series needs some new blood. I want Vaati as a personal choice because that's who I grew up with, but they got potential for a lot of villains.
15. Since I cheated by putting Bomberman on the list, I'll add one more and say... I'm really grasping for another character to include here, but Crono from Chrono Trigger would be a legendary character to choose even if the series is practically dead. Topically, it would be the character no one expected and, on its own, the game is very popular and is still held warmly to this day. I really need to get around to playing this game."

Last edited by a moderator:

Rubberfrog

Smash Apprentice
Here's mine:

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Mike Jones
3. Black Mage
4. Rayman/Rabbid
5. Paper Mario
6. Bandana Dee
7. Quote
8. Shovel Knight
9. Commander Keen
10. Geno
11. Tingle
12. Takamaru
13. Isaac
14. New Mii Fighter Class

Here’s something interesting. Apparently it seems that Rare’s working on a new, secret project. Personally, it might be a new Conker game and they’re saving Banjo for Smash for this year. I really hope this is the case.
If they were working on a new Conker game, and that other studio was developing the new Battletoads game, and Banjo made it into Smash... maybe that would explain that cryptic New Years pic they tweeted, with the 3 of them in the clouds

Last edited:

TheAnvil

Smash Hero
Conker is something they should absolutely NEVER tackle without Chris Seavor over seeing everything. That game was his baby.

It's somewhat comforting that they're at least co-working on Battletoads though.

D

Deleted member

How about this. If Banjo is getting into Smash Bros, wouldn't he need a new game to really make himself relevant again? It's the dream, am I right?

Last edited by a moderator:

maf91186

Smash Journeyman
Taking some liberties here.
Super pipe dream list lol

1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Dig-Dug
3. Spyro
4. Sora
5. Earthworm Jim
6. Toe-Jam and Earl
7. Nabooru (Zelda series)
8. Geno
9. Conker
10. Jade (BGaE)
11. Tiny, Lanky or Dixie Kong
12. Isaac
13. Chorus Kids
14. Krystal

So many more others would be listed as well but it would never be possible for me to fit everyone I care about lol.

Voe

Smash Journeyman
1. Banjo-Kazooie
2. Sora
3. Bandana Waddle Dee
4. Geno
5. Rayman
6. Spyro
7. Crash Bandicoot
8. Dixie Kong
9. Paper Mario
10. Phoenix Wright
11. Rex and Pyra
12. Viewtiful Joe
13. Amaterasu
14. Nights
It's nice to know I'm not the only one that wants to see NiGHTS in Smash.

Here's my list, in no particular order:

1. Banjo & Kazooie
2. Rash
3. NiGHTS
4. Jill Valentine (4 colors for RE1 Jill and 4 for RE3 Jill)
5. Slippy
6. Urbosa (All 4 Champions would be great as individual new fighters, but I want Urbosa the most)
7. Mach Rider
8. Crash Bandicoot
9. Doomguy
10. Vivi (FFIX, Black Mage could have a color reference)
11. Tifa (FFVII and Advent Children outfits)
12. Pauline
13. Dante (any design would be great, except for DmC Dante)
14. New Mii Fighter Class

andree123

Smash Ace
1. Erdrick
2. Lloyd Irving
3. Sylux
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Waluigi
6. Alucard
7. Isaac
8. Rex
9. Decidueye
10. Chorus Kids
11. Bandana Dee
12. Marx
13. Crash Bandicoot
14. 8th gen pokemon character
This may feel Sakurai-ish.

Llort A. Ton

Smash Lord
NNID
GamerGuy758
3DS FC
0731-5017-6481
Switch FC
SW 1185 9411 4529
14 is an odd number, but how about this...
1. Banjo and Kazooie
2. Doomguy
3. Rayman
4. Dante
5. Master Chief
6. Cranky Kong
7. Scorpion
8. 2B
9. Adeline
10. Shovel Knight
11. Either Leon or Jill (echoes of eachother???)
12. Crash
13. Waluigi
14. Thwomp

13. Dante (any design would be great, except for DmC Dante)
El Donte getting in over Dante would be as bad as Nuts and Bolts Banjo & Kazooie getting instead of the classic designs imo! :laugh:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Conker is something they should absolutely NEVER tackle without Chris Seavor over seeing everything. That game was his baby.

It's somewhat comforting that they're at least co-working on Battletoads though.
Yeah, didn't feel quite right that new folks are doing Battletoads instead of them. Also, that banner is such a tease, just show Rash's newest look already.

SKX31

Smash Master
Yeah, didn't feel quite right that new folks are doing Battletoads instead of them. Also, that banner is such a tease, just show Rash's newest look already.
Probably because it's much simpler to do with a newly assembled team. A side-scrolling beat-em-up doesn't need as big of a team behind it as a 3-D open world platformer nowadays.

While I'm hoping that the untitled project's Banjo-Threeie (or a Kazooie / Tooie Switch or 4K remaster), I would not expect Threeie to drop until 2021 at the earliest because of how much it needs to do. Part of why I've been such a "Hold your horses!" kind of guy here.

Again, wait for any official reveals on the matter. Could be Banjo, could be Perfect Dark, could be anything else in Rare's repetoire.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Probably because it's much simpler to do with a newly assembled team. A side-scrolling beat-em-up doesn't need as big of a team behind it as a 3-D open world platformer nowadays.

While I'm hoping that the untitled project's Banjo-Threeie (or a Kazooie / Tooie Switch or 4K remaster), I would not expect Threeie to drop until 2021 at the earliest because of how much it needs to do. Part of why I've been such a "Hold your horses!" kind of guy here.

Again, wait for any official reveals on the matter. Could be Banjo, could be Perfect Dark, could be anything else in Rare's repetoire.
Or something completely new, since I doubt they'd leave it at Sea of Thieves being their only Phil Spencer-era Rare IP.

Top Bottom