• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

So, when they are going to announce the date for P. Plant without a direct?

BUT, I still think that January 10th direct is real and it will be another smash direct.
No way on earth it’ll be another smash direct. Smash is out now and Nintendo still needs to cover what to expect in 2019. The only Smash news we’ll get for a while is little tidbits here and there in general Nintendo Directs. I wouldn’t expect another Smash direct until E3 or later

Last edited:

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
So, when they are going to announce the date for P. Plant without a direct?

BUT, I still think that January 10th direct is real and it will be another smash direct.
There's no way they have enough info for a whole Smash direct, unless they're announcing multiple characters and outlining their stages. I'd expect a release date for Piranha Plant at the very least and possibly an announcement for a character that's a bit farther along than Joker is.

dlewis53

Smash Lord
Honestly, if there DOES end up being a Nintendo DIrect this week, then at the very least, I'm expecting a proper release date for Piranha Plant. Maybe (and that's a big MAYBE), if we're lucky, we'll get either a new reveal or a gameplay trailer for Joker, but I'm not holding my breath for either.

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
Honestly, if there DOES end up being a Nintendo DIrect this week, then at the very least, I'm expecting a proper release date for Piranha Plant. Maybe (and that's a big MAYBE), if we're lucky, we'll get either a new reveal or a gameplay trailer for Joker, but I'm not holding my breath for either.
Gotta remember that we are getting 5 reveals over the course of a whole year. I have a feeling the 2nd spot will be revealed either on the tail end of February or maybe the middle of march. Depending on when the 2nd one is revealed in relation to the 1st we can see if there will be a pattern.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does anyone think that we're missing a 64 rep and if we are getting DLC, it may be Banjo, right?
I think so, if we're lucky enough. The 64 Kongs aren't getting in until further notice, so before then B-K would have the best shot.
Banjo & Kazooie are the best and most likely option for a N64 rep.
Though, there are other options like Saki Amamiya, Marina Liteyears, and Ray 01.

I'm sure it's a normal Nintendo Direct. I wouldn't bank on it being a Smash Direct because of the game being out for a month now and Joker being announced a month ago. I believe it's way too early for another Smash Direct, but I believe we will get another one probably at the end of this year.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
I feel like there's a decent chance for a Joker gameplay trailer or that might be saved till the mysterious Persona announcement in March

I feel like there's a decent chance for a Joker gameplay trailer or that might be saved till the mysterious Persona announcement in March
They’ll probably reveal Joker’s gameplay trailer in the following Nintendo direct in March/April. Sakurai just barely said Joker isn’t in a playable form yet, there’s no reason to expect a full gameplay trailer for him yet. We haven’t even gotten Piranha Plant yet

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
Out of curiosity, why would there be another Smash Direct? I'm all for continued support and more content, but what would a Smash Direct even entail? Unless it's a 5 or 10 minute video going over a couple characters or some big random change (that I don't really expect?), I'm not sure what would fill up a Direct. Don't get me wrong, I love Smash. I've bought every Nintendo console Smash has been released on and have lost hundreds of dollars on Melee and Brawl tournaments and played about 11,000 matches on Smash 4 For Glory and loved every minute, but I'm not sure I really expect any sort of big change in Ultimate from here on. I'd love to be wrong, but I dunno.

Mr. Stagg

Out of curiosity, why would there be another Smash Direct? I'm all for continued support and more content, but what would a Smash Direct even entail? Unless it's a 5 or 10 minute video going over a couple characters or some big random change (that I don't really expect?), I'm not sure what would fill up a Direct. Don't get me wrong, I love Smash. I've bought every Nintendo console Smash has been released on and have lost hundreds of dollars on Melee and Brawl tournaments and played about 11,000 matches on Smash 4 For Glory and loved every minute, but I'm not sure I really expect any sort of big change in Ultimate from here on. I'd love to be wrong, but I dunno.
The only way there would be a smash direct is if there was a big content patch to include plenty of extra modes like HRC or Smash run. I doubt they'd go over character tweaks considering how tight lipped they are in patch notes. All that considered it would just be 5 minutes or so tagged onto a generic direct near the end. Plus Sakurai has a flair for dramatic reveals so it is possible that Smash DLC characters will be revealed around some significance.

Now...theory time. If we are to get Banjo and kazooie in as DLC I wager that they would get revealed near the 20th anniversary of the release of Tooie, since it was the last big Banjo game on the 64. Granted it was November 20 on 2000 but a reveal in January of 2020 would be relevant to our Duo.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The only way there would be a smash direct is if there was a big content patch to include plenty of extra modes like HRC or Smash run. I doubt they'd go over character tweaks considering how tight lipped they are in patch notes. All that considered it would just be 5 minutes or so tagged onto a generic direct near the end. Plus Sakurai has a flair for dramatic reveals so it is possible that Smash DLC characters will be revealed around some significance.

Now...theory time. If we are to get Banjo and kazooie in as DLC I wager that they would get revealed near the 20th anniversary of the release of Tooie, since it was the last big Banjo game on the 64. Granted it was November 20 on 2000 but a reveal in January of 2020 would be relevant to our Duo.
You're probably right. I could totally see Banjo & Kazooie being the very last DLC character revealed in the Season Pass and if so, than it's going to be a long wait.

I don’t mean to be rude, but can we please stop with the “anniversary” theories? Last year was Banjo-Kazooie’s 20th anniversary, the “perfect” time for an announcement and, well, we all saw how that went

Mr. Stagg

I don’t mean to be rude, but can we please stop with the “anniversary” theories? Last year was Banjo-Kazooie’s 20th anniversary, the “perfect” time for an announcement and, well, we all saw how that went
That's why I called it "Theory time". I want to be wrong so hard here. Sooner we know about our duo the better. I guess to counter my own argument I should include that Joker's inclusion does not come from any sort of Nintendo shilling for Persona 5 on Switch. P5R was announced and it was PS4 exclusive. Considering that our Duo wasn't even mentioned on their 20th anniversary shows that if they are revealed, we may not even see them coming.

That's why I called it "Theory time". I want to be wrong so hard here. Sooner we know about our duo the better. I guess to counter my own argument I should include that Joker's inclusion does not come from any sort of Nintendo shilling for Persona 5 on Switch. P5R was announced and it was PS4 exclusive. Considering that our Duo wasn't even mentioned on their 20th anniversary shows that if they are revealed, we may not even see them coming.
Yeah I feel like they’d be an E3-level announcement. Either that, or a “one last thing” announcement in a direct, where they announce a Fighter Pass Season 2, with Banjo being the lead character, like Joker in this fighter pass. I just feel like Banjo would have to be announced in a special way, being the fan favorite/long requested character he is

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case I hope there is a Direct, mainly cause Nintendo barely got much coming in the next couple months we know about.

And an announcement for a Super Mario 3D World port wouldn't be too much to ask, honestly.

Yeah I feel like they’d be an E3-level announcement. Either that, or a “one last thing” announcement in a direct, where they announce a Fighter Pass Season 2, with Banjo being the lead character, like Joker in this fighter pass. I just feel like Banjo would have to be announced in a special way, being the fan favorite/long requested character he is
My hunch is, Sak could (maybe, we'll see) use them as the designated "goofy pick from the old days", seeing as he had to offer a sure thing for the starter bonus DLC that still fit the "final base roster pick oddness" he generally does, so they'd be saved for later after negotiations are settled.

I mean, who in the casual base would expect Nintendo 64 characters owned by a different company?

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

In any case I hope there is a Direct, mainly cause Nintendo barely got much coming in the next couple months we know about.

And an announcement for a Super Mario 3D World port wouldn't be too much to ask, honestly.

My hunch is, Sak could (maybe, we'll see) use them as the designated "goofy pick from the old days", seeing as he had to offer a sure thing for the starter bonus DLC that still fit the "final base roster pick oddness" he generally does, so they'd be saved for later after negotiations are settled.

I mean, who in the casual base would expect Nintendo 64 characters owned by a different company?
In all honesty, Banjo would be far beyond Ridley levels of hype. It would be the comeback story of the year. An E3 announcement would be excellent to close out the event considering Microsoft and Nintendo will be mainlineing E3 after Sony dropped out. Minecraft already has the top spot, someone like Banjo and Kazooie deserve a moment in the spotlight considering merch is still sold of them and that Rare still acknowledge their existence and need for their return.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In all honesty, Banjo would be far beyond Ridley levels of hype. It would be the comeback story of the year. An E3 announcement would be excellent to close out the event considering Microsoft and Nintendo will be mainlineing E3 after Sony dropped out. Minecraft already has the top spot, someone like Banjo and Kazooie deserve a moment in the spotlight considering merch is still sold of them and that Rare still acknowledge their existence and need for their return.
True true. One thing for sure is, Phil's been around in the VGAs, so it stands to reason MS probably let Reggie and co. kick things off on their own terms with Joker and saved the buds for later.

Come to think of it, Sony's chief US representative didn't really do anything noteworthy in the VGAs compared to those two, so Sony really losed out on this one, haven't they?

volbound1700

Smash Master
Going back to my posts, it would be easy for me to quit Nintendo. I nearly didn't get the Switch. I got Ultimate once they did the "everyone is here" trailer which hyped me. The game had a great direct in August and then has been a real thud since. I wasn't a HUGE fan of World of Light (it was alright). Would have preferred something more like SSE but not as big. The Switch will likely be my last Nintendo console. I have gotten more into board games lately and my friends play those. I did get a great board game called Nemesis off Kickstarter.

I just hate this Smash ended with such a thud. No Level Editor, no platforming adventure mode like in Melee and Brawl, and characters that I don't really want. I know some people like Joker, Isabelle, and potentially Steve. Good for you and enjoy the future of Smash.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I just have this feeling Banjo and Kazooie will be a DLC. And I hate it. Not because I don't want them (and I want them very badly), but because it is almost making me expect the DLC, and when the first non-Piranha Plant DLC is Joker of all people, I know better than have expectations (I mean, who expected Joker? No one expected Joker).

I want Banjo and Kazooie. I want Dixie, I want Crash, I want Rayman. Hopefully at least one of them (or two in Banzooie's case) is a DLC.

Mr. Stagg

I just have this feeling Banjo and Kazooie will be a DLC. And I hate it. Not because I don't want them (and I want them very badly), but because it is almost making me expect the DLC, and when the first non-Piranha Plant DLC is Joker of all people, I know better than have expectations (I mean, who expected Joker? No one expected Joker).

I want Banjo and Kazooie. I want Dixie, I want Crash, I want Rayman. Hopefully at least one of them (or two in Banzooie's case) is a DLC.
Just remember that Reggies words about the DLC is simple PR talk to hype it up. The only "rules" that apply here is Stage, Character, and Music. If a franchise or character cannot supply those 3 requirements then they will not fit as a fighter pack. Bayonetta supplied a viable character, stage, and music and Joker will do the same. I dont know much about P5 but I do know it is praised for it's amazing music. Banjo-kazooie and Tooie has some of the most memorable and catchy music. Nintendo and Sakurai would be fools to ignore that and not capitalize on the massive fan demand. Ignore the haters and trolls, take solace in the fact that we back a wellspring of content to draw a fighters pack from.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Ignore the haters and trolls, take solace in the fact that we back a wellspring of content to draw a fighters pack from.
Yeah, even if they only end up going after one Western company (because, let's face it, Sakurai doesn't rush to break boundaries as often as people think he does), there's still many prospective character picks from the companies that are already on board. Konami in particular has a bunch that would benefit from seeing the light of day again.

Though I honestly wonder that if JFG and Blast Corps aren't getting spirits, having music tracks from their games would be interesting, if a rather odd fit.

Reila

Just remember that Reggies words about the DLC is simple PR talk to hype it up. The only "rules" that apply here is Stage, Character, and Music. If a franchise or character cannot supply those 3 requirements then they will not fit as a fighter pack. Bayonetta supplied a viable character, stage, and music and Joker will do the same. I dont know much about P5 but I do know it is praised for it's amazing music. Banjo-kazooie and Tooie has some of the most memorable and catchy music. Nintendo and Sakurai would be fools to ignore that and not capitalize on the massive fan demand. Ignore the haters and trolls, take solace in the fact that we back a wellspring of content to draw a fighters pack from.
Oh, I wasn't thinking about any rules. My line of thought was that if the first DLC fighter was Joker (not even Yu Narukami) from Persona, something like Master Chief or Kratos wouldn't surprise, so while I have this feeling Banjo and Kazooie will happen, I don't want to be disappointed.

Who I am kidding, Kratos would be THE surprise haha.

Who I think is not likely at all is Dixie but I won't stop hoping for her inclusion. And Amaterasu, of course, but that is just a random dream.

Last edited:

LH LH

Smash Cadet
Well I’m afraid I’m gonna have to support. These guys are my most wanted and deserve a spot especially since we do not have a true n64 character in smash. There moveset potential is basically limitless and there renders would be perfect if they tried to shift away from nuts and bolts

Reila

Well I’m afraid I’m gonna have to support. These guys are my most wanted and deserve a spot especially since we do not have a true n64 character in smash. There moveset potential is basically limitless and there renders would be perfect if they tried to shift away from nuts and bolts
I can't even begin to imagine what their moveset would be. The possibilities are truly so so many.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Indeed, they got so many moves even Shantae would give them an easier time coming up with a moveset for. They're surprisingly complex for a fighter possibility when you sit down and think about it.
Actually I thought that one of the best things in their favor was that their moveset would be so obvious that it practically makes itself.

Mr. Stagg

That's fair as well. As far as possible character choices go, it's always easier when they have an established moveset in their source game or series (e.g. fighting characters).
That is actually one of the main reasons why Sakurai chooses a certain character to be a fighter. Due to the plethora of moves and abilities they have, Sakurai should have no problem developing a moveset that is smash-worthy, and draws from the source material. Sak's himself states that he tries to draw as much from the source material as possible when making a character. One common trend I see with the vast majority of fighters is that their source material features them in a 3rd person perspective.

Fighters like the Space furries, Capt. Falcon, and a few others subvert this rule due to their design and source material allowing them to fill a niche. Fox gets to be the quick, jumpy fighter due to his design, Falcon uses speed and heavy hits from the fast pace of F-zero games, and the various Pokemon draw specials from their canon movepool.

This is why I think that FPS characters like Doomguy and Steve don't have much of a shot. As much as I'd like to see Doomguy in smash, there is not much you can draw from to make a moveset. Sure there are family safe sci-fi guns and CQC attacks, but aside from that there really isn't a specific niche that isn't already filled by Samus or Snake. Plus I doubt the uber violence from the Doom games will transfer well to Ultimate. Yes I know Bayo is a M rated game, but I dont see any of her torture attacks as part of her moveset and the most brutal thing she does is in her Final Smash.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
We're in the final stretch, and right now Banjo is still on the fence.
I'll support. Banjo is a dream come true for lots of people and while I don't have too much history with the series, I want him as the last 3D-era Nintendo icon that hasn't shown up in Smash yet.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, in terms of getting a Microsoft rep these are my preferences:

B&K > Master Chief > Conker > a KI rep > Steve

I just don't care about Minecraft, sorry.

Reila

Imagine Fulgore in Smash, that would be so hype (for me).

But it would be Jago instead.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman

Stick in a Battletoad after the KI Rep and this is my thoughts exactly
Banjo and Master Chief are my most wanted microsoft reps and I'd be fine with either showing up though I lean more towards Banjo then Chief

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Stick in a Battletoad after the KI Rep and this is my thoughts exactly
Banjo and Master Chief are my most wanted microsoft reps and I'd be fine with either showing up though I lean more towards Banjo then Chief
Yeah and I'd say overall Banjo would be our MIcrosoft rep over Master Chief if we were to get one. But don't get me wrong, I would freak out if I saw Master Chief fighting Mario.

TheAnvil

Smash Hero

Steve shouldn't even be top 5.

You've got: Banjo, Conker, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, James Bond, Cuphead, the list goes on and on. Hell even Blinx and Voodoo Vince would be improvements over Steve.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

You've got: Banjo, Conker, Master Chief, Joanna Dark, James Bond, Cuphead, the list goes on and on. Hell even Blinx and Voodoo Vince would be improvements over Steve.
Technically, while there is an exclusivity contract for the Cuphead game, Studio MDHR technically owns the IP, so if they ever do a sequel (which will take a while, for obvious reasons), it'll be a loophole for it to be on other platforms.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Steve is literally 6 textured blocks. Anything would be league's better than him.

That being said, we can't sleep on the massive popularity of Minecraft in Japan. 2018 shows that the Switch port was the 3rd highest selling game in Japan. It pains me immensely to say it but you can't deny Minecraft popularity.

Now to wash my mouth of that bad taste I will mention that Sakurai's decisions concerning Smash newcomers has been more fan friendly. With the "Everyone is here!" Reveal along with Riddles, K. Rool, Belmonts and Joker, it's clear that Sak's is catering to fans instead of creating fighters based on shilling for other games.

Steve's only claim to fame is Vergeben and Minecraft's sales and even IF we take Vergie-burgie's word we wont even get Steve anyway since the "word" from him is that a boss is the only Minecraft content we're getting in Smash.

Banjo-kazooie has been requested and talked about for almost a decade. That is honestly impressive to still be talked about and played despite being a "dead franchise".

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216

Blinx had so much potential. Microsoft's letting some of their IPs collect as much dust as possible.

Top Bottom