• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Banjo-Kazooie Social Thread - Project Dream Come True!

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
you mean...the thing that has been missing from their presentation for years :/
Well. People had suspicions about Microsoft finally going ahead with the idea. Since Banjo-Kazooie has been getting a lot of merchandise lately and has been getting more presence in Microsoft stores and advertisements. If Banjo does appear in Smash it will be really strange for Microsoft to still not want to do a Banjo-Threeie or at least a n-sane style remake.

SuperiorYoshi87

Smash Lord
NNID
AVENGERxTHOR
Banjo in Smash could very well pre date a Banjo revival seeing fan reaction as a means to gauge the desire for more Banjo. Or the other possibility is and this is an unlikely one, they have Nintendo develop a new one which they would be announcing. Imagine if Banjo-Threeie was the a 3rd party Nintendo developed game that will be on Switch and Xbox one. It would be mind blowing

Last edited:

yeet123

Banned via Warnings
Throughout this entire waiting period there has been only ONE character with shady **** (in the best possible way) surrounding them... After its devs being very vocal about their inclusion throughout the years, theyve suddenly gone SILENT on the issue since Ult's release. Lootcrate had to delete a tweet, as well as pull the IP from their merch due to mentioning their inclusion in smash. Additionally, Micro insiders have repeatedly heard that they're in the game (and have NOT backed down from those rumors since). ADDITIONALLY, no Micro insiders have heard anything deconfirming them...... Get your guh-huhs and brrreeeeeees ready for E3

SonicMetaphor

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Just wondering, did Sabi and other leakers/insiders say/hint/whatever that Banjo-Kazooie would be revealed at E3, or did they not?

Last edited:

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
I can’t wait for E3, cause even if Smash is disappointing I still have Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Gen 8 to look forward to

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I can’t wait for E3, cause even if Smash is disappointing I still have Luigi’s Mansion 3 and Gen 8 to look forward to
Those are the 2 biggest Switch games of the year I'm looking forward to the most too, Especially Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Out of curiosity, Which starter do you plan on going with?

I'm going with Sobble since I love more reptile/lizard based Pokemon.

Quick Gaming (QG)

Smash Lord
Those are the 2 biggest Switch games of the year I'm looking forward to the most too, Especially Pokemon Sword and Shield.

Out of curiosity, Which starter do you plan on going with?

I'm going with Sobble since I love more reptile/lizard based Pokemon.
I rarely pick the fire starter first and I like Scorbunny. The choice is easy this time

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Well. People had suspicions about Microsoft finally going ahead with the idea. Since Banjo-Kazooie has been getting a lot of merchandise lately and has been getting more presence in Microsoft stores and advertisements. If Banjo does appear in Smash it will be really strange for Microsoft to still not want to do a Banjo-Threeie or at least a n-sane style remake.
If Rare Replay shows up on Switch in any capacity, then Microsoft will be perfectly happy with that as the product that Banjo markets. Or they'll just be happy with the profits from Banjo himself. For the most part, I think that Microsoft has shown us just how little they value the Banjo IP and consider him mostly a nostalgia item. With that understanding of Banjo, I don't think Microsoft would be particularly inclined to care about anything else Banjo related they have to put effort and resources into. Why do that when you can put absolutely minimal effort porting a N64 game to Switch and letting Nintendo do all the work for him in Smash?

If the interest does enough to catch the eyes of Microsoft, they'll do something with the IP. If not, oh well, they didn't put much into the venture anyway.

I think it makes perfect sense to be honest. Though, in the lead-up to E3 I'm really trying to keep my expectations tempered. It really could go any number of ways, though I do think we're in for something big Smash related since they didn't previously announce a character with Joker's release like I expected them to. 6 months without a reveal is a long time for a season of DLC and we know Sakurai has been working since December on Characters 2 and 3. So we're in store for something. What that will be is still really anyone's guess though.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I'm aware that Sakurai considers VGA to have been too early to announce Joker properly. This is pretty obvious as well when we had to wait an extremely long time for his full gameplay trailer. How long was it between the VGA and the Nintendo direct that announced Smash Update 3.0.0?

JonSmash

Smash Ace
I don't see Banjo Kazooie or Tooie remakes comming anytime soon if ever since

1: the head of rare said they are to busy with SOT & will be for the forseeable future
2:the head of rare said he wants to focus on new IP not old IPs & if they did do old IPs there would need to be a new gameplay gimick (he thinks he is miyamoto now huh?)
3:the head of rare said why make or remake a banjo game when you can play mario, yookalaylee, a hat in time or the spyro crash remakes (clearly a "smart man")

the man is a bit of a egotistical jerk who only cares about new IPs & making HIS mark on rare he even once said "fans think they know what they want but don't" (they should fire him IMO)

4:you can play B-K & B-T XBLA for free with gamepass
5:you can play B-K & B-T if you have rare replay

So they don't see a reason to remake them

at most I could see banjo in smash & rare games on a N64 classic mini & if we do get banjo treeie it would be for the XBOX "TWO"?

B/C rare likes to milk nastalga but ignores demand for there older IPs HECK it seams like phil is the only one pushing for older rare IPs but rare dosn't seam to want to do anything with them, look at KI & Battle toads there being made by diffrent comapanys same would happen to banjo THEY COULD CARE LESS ! & there public statemnts say otherwise

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334

1: the head of rare said they are to busy with SOT & will be for the forseeable future
2:the head of rare said he wants to focus on new IP not old IPs & if they did do old IPs there would need to be a new gameplay gimick (he thinks he is miyamoto now huh?)
3:the head of rare said why make or remake a banjo game when you can play mario, yookalaylee, a hat in time or the spyro crash remakes (clearly a "smart man")

the man is a bit of a egotistical jerk who only cares about new IPs & making HIS mark on rare he even once said "fans think they know what they want but don't" (they should fire him IMO)

at most I could see banjo in smash & rare games on a N64 classic mini & if we do get banjo treeie it would be for the XBOX "TWO"?

B/C rare likes to milk nastalga but ignores demand for there older IPs HECK it seams like phil is the only one pushing for older rare IPs but rare dosn't seam to want to do anything with them, look at KI & Battle toads there being made by diffrent comapanys same would happen to banjo THEY COULD CARE LESS ! & there public statemnts say otherwise
With how they handled Sea of Thieves, I don't think I even want them to make a Banjo Kazooie game because it would be incomplete trash while charging $60 to play it. The Rare we know is now Playtonic games and they seem to be in limbo as of now.

Quidohmi

Smash Apprentice
With how they handled Sea of Thieves, I don't think I even want them to make a Banjo Kazooie game because it would be incomplete trash while charging $60 to play it. The Rare we know is now Playtonic games and they seem to be in limbo as of now.
SoT was bad at launch. It's pretty fun now.

It could be a Konami sort of situation. Put the characters in Smash Bros, then work on a new game.

Personally I would prefer if Nintendo bought the rights to Banjo Kazooie and then hired Playtonic to work on a new Banjo Kazooie game but that is a one in a million chance.
I don't know if I could get behind that, tbh. Y-L was pretty sub-par. I'd only be down with it if they got the level designer too. And made sure the gameplay was as tight as the B-K and Tooie. Otherwise I think Rare as it is now would do a better job (presuming they got Kirkhope to do the music)

Justin Little

Smash Ace
In one of their commentary videos, Playtonic teased some kind of mid-year announcement. In their last video, one of them almost spoiled a "special move" from their next game with their battle against Capitol B which makes me believe a Yooka sequel is happening.

SoT was bad at launch. It's pretty fun now.

I don't know if I could get behind that, tbh. Y-L was pretty sub-par. I'd only be down with it if they got the level designer too. And made sure the gameplay was as tight as the B-K and Tooie. Otherwise I think Rare as it is now would do a better job (presuming they got Kirkhope to do the music)
It was only less than stellar because of time and budget, couple that with them learning how to use Unity, and gradually growing and gaining their main players mid-development. They are certainly not oblivious to Yooka's problem as they state in their commentary videos.

Mod Edit: Both posts merged. Please edit your messages or quote multiple messages at once instead of posting more than once in a row.

Last edited by a moderator:

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Be prepared to sit tight folks, it's looking like it's going to be a quiet PrE3 cycle

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Be prepared to sit tight folks, it's looking like it's going to be a quiet PrE3 cycle

So a leak is our next DLC right?

KingMinjo91

Smash Apprentice
To those talking about how RARE doesn't really care about Banjo anymore... Lets not forget about them saying that theyd be more than happy to let a trusted company use them.

I imagine it would be similar to the Battletoads situation. Sure, they're focused on Sea of Thieves and arent interested in a remake/new Banjo-Kazooie game. Doesn't mean that there arent those asking for the opportunity to do it themselves!

JonSmash

Smash Ace
So What company should make a new banjo game ? (& fix or ignore N&B trash storyline?) other then playtonic B/C after yooka-laylee I don't want them making a banjo game TBH

I say let the People who remade crash & spyro remake the banjo games to learn HOW & WHY the 1st 2 game where so great & put that knowledge to use in a REAL banjo threeie & ignore N&B (& I LOVE N&B but it ruiend the story just ignore it rare please )

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
To those talking about how RARE doesn't really care about Banjo anymore... Lets not forget about them saying that theyd be more than happy to let a trusted company use them.

I imagine it would be similar to the Battletoads situation. Sure, they're focused on Sea of Thieves and arent interested in a remake/new Banjo-Kazooie game. Doesn't mean that there arent those asking for the opportunity to do it themselves!
Thats the keyword. A trusted company also has to want to do it.

MonkeyDLenny

Smash Lord
Because no way you're sick of polls by now!! This is just a for funsies one, no pressure this time

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
It looks like we have a new thing to keep in mind leading up to E3. He seems to provide a bit of proof he knows people at the end of the post.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/the-...m-before-the-storm-massive-info-dump.1482022/
Guess what is missing.

There is the chance that maybe Microsoft opted to make all the Banjo announcements during Nintendo's direct. Companies tend to do that during E3. Make announcements during different presentations. But I think it's time to start getting expectations in check. Surprising though is that Minecraft seems missing. Microsoft always finds a way to announce something Minecraft at E3.
Like the Minecraft 10th anniversary being a dud, it stands to reason that Nintendo will be making the announcement for the next reveal(s). Still, those are some predictions on that guys end. It's still possible we get something Banjo-kazooie related at the Microsoft presentation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Like the Minecraft 10th anniversary being a dud, it stands to reason that Nintendo will be making the announcement for the next reveal(s). Still, those are some predictions on that guys end. It's still possible we get something Banjo-kazooie related at the Microsoft presentation.
Pretty much this.

Well, the Nintendo part. Who knows on a BK announcement. Might get a game for the Xbox One. Though it's hard to say if they or Nintendo would announce Rare Replay on Switch. Either could. Or maybe a Microsoft(or Nintendo) employee would be there to help make the announcement? Could be at either conference. Probably the one that's first(I think MS goes before the Big N?), while the other delves even more into the details in return.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

Yeah, and it's frustrating because even Banjo & Kazooie's original creators didn't realize what they had. Banjo-Kazooie could have been a truly iconic series in gaming. It has a subversive fairytale aesthetic, a unique duo character design that allows for endless variations on how to play, and so many memorable characters, settings, and especially music. Rare's philosophy is terrible--yes, it's good to try new things, but if you don't give your most favored IPs room to grow and reach new audiences, you risk them and your company going into obscurity. For many people, Rare is a joke. And you can't just blame the new people coming in, since a lot of the terrible decisions came with the original creators.

The main problems with Yooka-Laylee comes from having to start a company from scratch, trying to make a big 3D platformer on an indie budget, and trying to reach a deadline to not disappoint the fans who contributed. The character designs, the humor, the music--it got most of it right. Outside of that, I think their problem was trying to do too much at once, and ultimately all of the stuff comes out subpar as a result. I feel like they should have solely focused on giving fans of the original the Banjo-Threeie they wanted, just with a different name--it doesn't have to look like a modern game, and perhaps sacrificing graphics, they could have made a game similar to the originals--more worlds, tighter worlds, more types of enemies unique to each world, just more variety in general. The problem with getting the level designer is he's checked out, and I have zero confidence he'll be doing anything with the series in the near future.

However, what they did was great, so given the feedback, I'm very curious what they end up doing next. I have more confidence in Playtonic than I do with Rare--actually caring about the characters, series and fans goes a long way. And while I'd like Rare to get a company to remake the old games Crash style--it would be hard to find a company that shares that old Rare sense of humor and understands what made the series fun and properly expand on it to make a new game, especially since the original creators didn't when making Nuts & Bolts. If given the rights to make Banjo-Kazooie, the proper time and money, I think Playtonic would be the best at making a new game. That being said, that is certainly not going to happen.

Because no way you're sick of polls by now!! This is just a for funsies one, no pressure this time

My preference is Banjo-Kazooie when referring to the series and first game, Banjo & Kazooie when referring to the characters, and Banjo when I'm being casual/lazy. :chuckle:

MissingGlitch

Smash Master
All the guys who hang around the Xbox Game Studios thread on ResetEra say that guy on GAF is full of it, so....

https://www.resetera.com/threads/xb...-the-age-of-booty-a-case-study.116768/page-24
Interesting. So the reason why nothing sounds to shocking in it is because its all stuff people have talked about before. Just complied into a big post and marketed as a leak.

Meaning there is a good chance that there could be more we don't know about or some of that might not even happen.

Last edited:

Mr. Stagg

Ay ugly! Gimme back my friggen sister!
I had a random moveset thought that sounds awesome! What if Banjo uses the Taxi pack like how DK does his cargo throw? Banjo lands the grab with his back pack, can either toss the enemy up, down, or back, but the forward throw has him putting the pack back on. He can then move around a bit before throwing them in the 4 directions with unique throw animations.
DnzbvGWXsAEraCT.jpeg

Credit goes to Blue Paint Sea.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Pretty much this.

Well, the Nintendo part. Who knows on a BK announcement. Might get a game for the Xbox One. Though it's hard to say if they or Nintendo would announce Rare Replay on Switch. Either could. Or maybe a Microsoft(or Nintendo) employee would be there to help make the announcement? Could be at either conference. Probably the one that's first(I think MS goes before the Big N?), while the other delves even more into the details in return.
If I had to hazard a guess of where a Rare Replay announcement for Switch would come it would be in Nintendo's presentation. For Xbox they probably would want to focus on their systems for their presentation and Cuphead was announced in a direct instead of those presentations Microsoft does.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If I had to hazard a guess of where a Rare Replay announcement for Switch would come it would be in Nintendo's presentation. For Xbox they probably would want to focus on their systems for their presentation and Cuphead was announced in a direct instead of those presentations Microsoft does.
I think Cuphead might also not be considered as important as Rareware is to them, so it's hard to say.

But yeah, I more lean on it being done in Nintendo's presentation(though I think a Microsoft employee will be there. Possibly Phil Spencer himself, as he's the best person to announce Rare Replay or even a new Banjo-Kazooie game. He seems to have a great liking for the character, after all).

TheZoologist

Smash Ace
I had a random moveset thought that sounds awesome! What if Banjo uses the Taxi pack like how DK does his cargo throw? Banjo lands the grab with his back pack, can either toss the enemy up, down, or back, but the forward throw has him putting the pack back on. He can then move around a bit before throwing them in the 4 directions with unique throw animations.
View attachment 222700

Credit goes to Blue Paint Sea.
YESSSSSS!!! I actually thought of that myself recently. Would definitely function like Villager and Isabelle's net grab, maybe even could grab and store items like that lol freaking Blue Paint Sea is so damn talented though makes Banjo & Kazooie look so good and viable and expressive! But interesting you also consider it being like DK's cargo throw that'd be an interesting idea for a movable grab :O Also it looks like there's more to this picture? Did BPS do a whole moveset for them? If so I'd love to see it!

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593

I enjoy orchestrated music from time to time.

The Video Game Orchestra of Montreal did Banjo Kazooie songs back in 2016.

I personally enjoy these versions though the originals will always be cherished.

D

Deleted member

I personally enjoy these versions though the originals will always be cherished.
That guh-huh tho at the beginning lol

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

I love listening to those orchaestrated versions as well. Though, my favorite performance of Banjo-Kazooie music was Hailfire Peaks from an elementary school band.

I've been trying to make a medley of some of my favorite songs from Kazooie and Tooie, though it's very hard to narrow them down. Some of my favorites are:

1. BK - Treasure Trove Cove
2. BK - Freezeezy Peak
3. BK - Rusty Bucket Bay
4. BK - Click Clock Wood
5. BK - Final Battle
6. BT - Glitter Gulch Mine
7. BT - Witchyworld (Boss theme)
8. BT - Jolly Roger's Lagoon
9. BT - Grunty Industries (Boss theme)
10. BT - Hailfire Peaks

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm aware that Sakurai considers VGA to have been too early to announce Joker properly. This is pretty obvious as well when we had to wait an extremely long time for his full gameplay trailer. How long was it between the VGA and the Nintendo direct that announced Smash Update 3.0.0?
I think it was like 4 months and a half.

Obviously the announcer would call them "Banjo & Kazooie" not "Banjo-Kazooie" or "Banjo and Kazooie".

Koopaul

Smash Champion
"Banjo-Kazooie" is a long enough name. Adding "and" into it would just make it longer. I think Banjo-Kazooie is a fine title for the duo. It's the name of their series and the names of the characters. Besides, "Banjo-Kazooie" just rolls off the tongue.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Banjo & Kazooie looks fine spelled that way. But yeah, I think having it as one long name without the And sounds better too as Koopaul said.

I always forget what the character name VS the game series/name is called. XD

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
Banjo & Kazooie looks fine spelled that way. But yeah, I think having it as one long name without the And sounds better too as Koopaul said.

I always forget what the character name VS the game series/name is called. XD
For me, the game is one title, so it makes sense to hyphenate Banjo-Kazooie as a singular entity. When talking about the characters, plural, makes sense to me to say Banjo & Kazooie. It's my personal preference, though.

Top Bottom